ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's NEW One-And-Done: Top 3 recruits on the bench to end the game.

I agree with plenty of this, but I also think it's another no-win situation for Cal with a portion of the fanbase. Can you imagine how much he'd be criticized if DJ committed to Louisville instead? So we land him, he underperforms, and it's Cal's fault for bringing in one of the top recruits that's also one of the most overrated recruits (still, time will tell on that).

Cal created a OAD NBA factory that HAS worked, and HAS failed. I don't know what the perfect recipe is. It's worked for Duke, it's failed for Duke. Villanova's style has worked, and it's failed. Kansas' style has worked, and it's failed. Scott Drew won a title, then he's been bounced in the first weekend the next 2 years.

So again, I don't know what the right recipe is. Maybe he needs to keep recruiting like this, but have better assistants, or Cal needs to delegate more to his assistants. Or maybe he needs to try and build a program, rather than build a recruiting class. But that requires even more patience by the fanbase, right?
I agree it would not have boded well for cal had Wagner gone elsewhere, Louisville specifically but that doesn’t mean Wagner gets minutes regardless of production. I think we all expected Wagner to be better than he has been. He started to live up to the hype for a small stretch but has since regressed. Giving him as many minutes as Dillingham at this stage is incomprehensible. Other players have to earn their minutes while some are automatically granted minutes regardless.

It is actually Cal ADMITTING that his top 3 recruits CAN'T get the job done during crunch time. So WHY does he STILL insist on building his teams around OVER-HYPED Freshman that will leave after a year and UK Basketball doesn't even get the benefit of WINNING anything???!!!
I still have no clue what you are trying to say. Do you expect Cal to pull offers to next year's highly rated recruits now that he sat DJ, Edwards, and Bradshaw down the stretch? Do you think other coaches wouldn't have taken those three if they wanted to go elsewhere?

All year long people have complained about DJ and Edwards getting too much time and now that he sat them in crunch time you're still mad?

Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw, our top 3 recruits coming into this year were ALL riding the pine those last 20 seconds!!!

That's how far down Cal's roster building has fallen. Can you imagine Wall, Boogie, Bledsoe, Knight, Jones, Lamb, Davis, MKG, Nerlens, Randle, the Twins, KAT, Murray, Fox, Monk, Bam, PJ or Herro sitting the bench with a 1 point deficit at the end of a game????!!!!!!!

Add this to Cal's TOTAL lack of coaching and you get what we have had the last 4 seasons.

SAD
Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

I still have no clue what you are trying to say. Do you expect Cal to pull offers to next year's highly rated recruits now that he sat DJ, Edwards, and Bradshaw down the stretch? Do you think other coaches wouldn't have taken those three if they wanted to go elsewhere?

All year long people have complained about DJ and Edwards getting too much time and now that he sat them in crunch time you're still mad?
WOW!!!

You REALLY can't see the point I am making???? Why did it take him 26 games to figure it out when all of us "Basketball Benny's" knew it 5 games into the season.

Cal is using an OUTDATED roster building model that hasn't produced the results desired in 4 years. I was just pointing that out with what he did last night. It is just showing how different the game is now and Cal's approach is not getting the results we ALL desire.

Plus, Cal himself realizes this, yet he is so stubborn that he will continue to do things the way he has for 14 seasons, results be darned.

So, do you have faith that next year's recruiting class will give UK the same results as what we saw in those first 8 seasons????

I am ELATED that Cal FINALLY played the correct lineup to end the game. But do you think that same lineup will be the starters for the next game?????

-I'm just "mad" that Cal has allowed the UK Basketball program to slide to close to an all-time low point outside of the probation years (I think that's 2022 - (2 seed) TERRIBLE LOSS; 2019 (2 seed) - Elite 8; 2017 (2 Seed) - Elite 8. You're definition of ALL-TIME low is 2 elite eights in last 7 years and that's not counting the Maxey, Quickley, Richards 2021 season.
I'm the first to admit that the worst season of my lifetime (Boston, Askew, Clarke), followed by the worst loss of my lifetime, is a bad cocktail that makes it easy for me to get amnesia about 2017 & 2019.
-I am actually stating the opposite. I want to see MORE of those players and LESS of the 3(Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw) that were ranked higher. Bradshaw had 3 mins against Auburn and didn't get double digiit mins last night! Edwards is improving, but still averaging fewest minutes of our wings. (Mitchell being out got Edwards a few more mins.) Wagner was BAD last night. But, he's been better than average since returning from injury. There's a reason we lost several games while he was out.

-I want Cal to VALUE Rob and Reed as much as he does Wagner and Edwards by STARTING them!! That would be the MOST "Logical and emotionless" answer for Cal going forward. I'm concerned about total minutes and who closes a game more than I am who starts. However, I understand the logic of your argument.

-Cal STRUGGLES to figure this out lately. That's because he doesn't evaluate talent as good now as he used to which results in him being stubborn over PT. Who evaluated Sheppard and Dillingham? Was Cal just lucky with these two recruits, but bad evaluator of the other players? Also, tell me some other freshmen Cal missed out on that are dominating college basketball. This was a WEAK class.

-As I have stated throughout this thread: I want MORE of those 2!!!! How could you read ANYTHING other than that into my posts in this thread???!!! Your OP was a complaint about 3 players who were NOT in the game at the end.

-Cal has made the OAD a UK "issue" by his OWN choosing. So if he is going to continue to use this model, he better figure out how to win like he did those first 8 seasons!!! Agree with you 110%!

- My "Cal fatigue" is from him "not playing" the kids that give us the best chance at winning ENOUGH minutes per game. Sheppard & Reeves are leading our team in minutes played over the last month! Rob still plays terrible on ball defense, but he has potential (as we saw in 2nd half last night) to go for 20 points in a half. Rob is the most entertaining UK player since Monk. BUT ... they showed a replay of him last night guarding his man at the top of the key. He left his man WHILE he had the ball and his man dribble straight down the middle for an easy lay-up. Rob (though fun to watch) has to give you 15+ every game just to make up for the other stuff. I feel like he can score every time he has the ball. Unfortunately, I feel like his man is going to score every time also.
I promise I'm not a Cal apologist. I'm getting Cal fatigue and I'm getting more tired of him by the week. The "Swaggy Cal is great" crowd thinks I'm anti-Cal. The "Cal is Terrible" crowd thinks I'm a sunshine pumper. I do think many fans let their emotions (good & bad) cause them to see ONLY what they want to see.

My responses to your points are in your post.

Reactions: grevey35
I'm the first to admit that the worst season of my lifetime (Boston, Askew, Clarke), followed by the worst loss of my lifetime, is a bad cocktail that makes it easy for me to get amnesia about 2017 & 2019.

I promise I'm not a Cal apologist. I'm getting Cal fatigue and I'm getting more tired of him by the week. The "Swaggy Cal is great" crowd thinks I'm anti-Cal. The "Cal is Terrible" crowd thinks I'm a sunshine pumper. I do think many fans let their emotions (good & bad) cause them to see ONLY what they want to see.

My responses to your points are in your post.
My OP was actually comparing Cal’s top 3 ranked recruits to those that we had his first 8 seasons to show how far we have fallen because todays recruits are not good enough to get UK to a championship level.

It was NOT questioning why they weren’t in the game, it was pointing out that they weren’t because Cal knows they aren’t good enough.

My OP was actually comparing Cal’s top 3 ranked recruits to those that we had his first 8 seasons to show how far we have fallen because todays recruits are not good enough to get UK to a championship level.

It was NOT questioning why they weren’t in the game, it was pointing out that they weren’t because Cal knows they aren’t good enough.
Cal’s top 2 recruits WERE in the game. They just weren’t ranked by recruiting services.

I personally think fans put too much stock in online services. First, they’re projecting out into a high school player’s future rather than his current play. AB MAY develop a great jump shot over the next 2-3 years. If so, he can become a player like Nick Richards. You and I know that won’t help UK one bit and there’s a low chance he’s here if/when that ever happens. Wagner will probably develop a consistent jump shot, but again it’s not going to happen in a UK Jersey. (Ex- Julius Randle developed a respectable jump shot, but he’d break a backboard shooting 3’s if he’d tried that at UK. He could just play bully ball when he was here.)

I never expect much from big men coming out of hs. I’ve seen that scenario play out too many times. Towns may have been our last dominant freshman big man. (I’m sure I’m forgetting someone.). Fact is, I don’t know of any big men we missed on that dominated college ball. Lively at Duke, Wiseman, other guy that went to Memphis, etc … none of them did much in college. (I’m getting older and I may be missing someone.)

This is where we probably agree. I would be happy recruiting big men who are 3-4 yr players (like Ugo) then trying to bring in the best guards and wings. I don’t think Holland would have helped this team much. College basketball seems to be about strength around the rim (upper classmen) and shooting.

The thing that makes me nervous about some recruits for next year is the old “he’s athletic, but needs to work on his shot!” That’s a nice way of saying he can dunk on high school players but he can’t throw it in the ocean.

Reactions: G-PIP
Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw, our top 3 recruits coming into this year were ALL riding the pine those last 20 seconds!!!

That's how far down Cal's roster building has fallen. Can you imagine Wall, Boogie, Bledsoe, Knight, Jones, Lamb, Davis, MKG, Nerlens, Randle, the Twins, KAT, Murray, Fox, Monk, Bam, PJ or Herro sitting the bench with a 1 point deficit at the end of a game????!!!!!!!

Add this to Cal's TOTAL lack of coaching and you get what we have had the last 4 seasons.

SAD
Hmm 🤔. Wouldn’t you be complaining (rightfully so) if those 3 were all on the floor those last 20 seconds.

Ok. But they were just as highly rated recruits. So to me that says either that Wall/Cousins class was atypically elite, or this class was not very good (you can’t blame that on any college coach), or all the scouting services have gotten significantly worse.

Honestly I don't know if I want any of them back. 1AD just doesn't work in this era and those guys (maybe not edwards now) are just so off the mark

DJ is now worse than Wheeler. Maybe he was before this game. He's on Askew levels of bad at this point.
Pump the brakes. Wheeler and Askew c'mon.

It really does suck. I'd much rather have sophomores Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw than their freshmen counterparts - Fland, Knox, and Cyril I guess.
I'll for sure take Cyril over Bradshaw. That will be a freshman that can not be pushed around.

Not sure, but I think what he's trying to say is that the best players shouldn't be spending the first 4 minutes of every half riding the dang pine. That's 8 minutes a game our 2nd rate players are losing the game while our best players watch in warmups.
YEP

And Cal proved last night that he KNOWS who should play the most, but he chooses to give his inferior, higher rated recruits MORE time than he should.

Ok. But they were just as highly rated recruits. So to me that says either that Wall/Cousins class was atypically elite, or this class was not very good (you can’t blame that on any college coach), or all the scouting services have gotten significantly worse.
Not the "scouting services" but the so called TOP players themselves.

You do realize that it's been 14 years since Wall and Boogie and 12 since Davis and MKG. Freshmen players today are NO WHERE near as good as the OAD's from Cal's early years.

So my point is WHY build your roster around OAD kids that aren't CAPABLE of winning at a championship level????

Reactions: KFuqua
I'm just pointing out how FLAWED Cal's OAD model is now.

When the top 3 recruits in the class aren't good enough to be in a 1 point game with 20 seconds left. that is an EXTREME problem!!!!

I'm NOT saying that they should have been in there!!! I'm saying that Cal NOT having them in there tells EVERYONE that HE even KNOWS he can't depend on the TOP 3 players in HIS recruiting class!!!!

So WHY are they getting SOOOOOO MUCH playing time and 2 of them are even starting over 2 players(Reed and Rob) that are MUCH better??!!!!!! Thats' what I'm "advocating"!!!!

I have a theory about late game losses with NBA talent. I need to be careful about how I word it so it isn't misunderstood. But here goes.

When Cal was at UMass and Memphis he was able to get talented players like DRose and Camby but they usually came with some sort of baggage that allowed them to fall to a 2nd tier school. But because of their backgrounds they often came in angry and hungry. Larry Bird was like that. He went to IU first but moved quickly to ISU. And he was hungry and angry.

As an IU fan I remember Kelvin Sampson brought the same sort of player to IU as he was rebuilding the brand. We he got the boot the first thing Crean did was toss out the baggage and IU has yet to recover.

Pitino did the same at UL as Kelvin did at IU

When Cal came to UK the program was also diminished from Billy Clyde and others. And so the guys he brought at first often had baggage. Think Bledsoe and Boogie. Now though he gets not only quality athletes he gets the ones with sterling reputations. How often do you hear fans say "I like this team. they're talented and they are all great kids"

That is awesome but sometimes those guys aren't hungry or angry. Think of Wagner raised in an NBA family.

So my observation has always been that in the final two minutes of a close game some kids (the hungry, intense ones) will go from 60% at the foul line to 80%, while others go from 80 to 60. Again as an IU fan the only FTs I remember Alford ever missing were at the end of a game

I am not saying that when you get the pick of the litter you don't take the talented kid who isn't likely to end up on somewhere you don't want. But if you can help mold those hungry guys they will likely be the ones ready to go at the end of a tough battle.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Not sure, but I think what he's trying to say is that the best players shouldn't be spending the first 4 minutes of every half riding the dang pine. That's 8 minutes a game our 2nd rate players are losing the game while our best players watch in warmups.

That’s not what he said. He specifically complained about Bradshaw, Wagner and Edwards not being in the game. Makes zero sense unless it’s a complaint about the higher ranked players not being on the court. Which is dumb.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: catben and KFuqua
That’s not what he said. He specifically complained about Bradshaw, Wagner and Edwards not being in the game. Makes zero sense unless it’s a complaint about the higher ranked players not being on the court. Which is dumb.
I took that as sarcasm and pointing out that, despite their star rankings and being starters, Cal had them on the bench when it mattered....because they just aren't very good and he knows it.

This was a historically weak overall class. The irony is that Cal finally landed an "elite class" again, but none of the three highest ranked guys are lottery level players (Dillingham wasn't a top 10 kid by most outlets).
Allen Iverson called him the next Allen Iverson.

Reactions: chroix
I took that as sarcasm and pointing out that, despite their star rankings and being starters, Cal had them on the bench when it mattered....because they just aren't very good and he knows it.

Could be. I didn’t read it that way. Whatever. This place is swirling the drain faster than the program.

Reactions: sambowieshin
NO I DID NOT!!!!

If you would read the posts that I have made in this thread you would see that I was ACTUALLY saying the OPPOSITE!!!

I was just pointing out that even Cal himself was ADMITTING that his top 3 rated recruits were NOT as good as Reed and Rob and Adou by not having them in the game during crunch time!!!!!

If the top 3 recruits in Cal's OAD class aren't good enough to be in a 1 point game for the final 20 seconds, then he needs to CHANGE his roster building model!!!!

Reed and Rob are WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better than DJ and Justin, that was my point. How you read that to mean anything else is CRAZY!!!!

Reactions: KFuqua
So many people didn't read the OP and then posted long screeds demonstrating that they didn't understand his point. LOL
YEP

It was an indictment on Cal's OAD model because the top rated recruits aren't even good enough to be in a tight game much less win at a championship level anymore.

And if it weren't for Reed and Rob playing ABOVE their ranking and Reeves having an All-American season, we may be looking at another 9-16 season.

Cal is the problem here!!!!

YEP

It was an indictment on Cal's OAD model because the top rated recruits aren't even good enough to be in a tight game much less win at a championship level anymore.

And if it weren't for Reed and Rob playing ABOVE their ranking and Reeves having an All-American season, we may be looking at another 9-16 season.

Cal is the problem here!!!!
Your next to last sentence is waaaaay to accurate in describing what could have been this year.

• Sad
Reactions: KFuqua and catben
NO I DID NOT!!!!

If you would read the posts that I have made in this thread you would see that I was ACTUALLY saying the OPPOSITE!!!

I was just pointing out that even Cal himself was ADMITTING that his top 3 rated recruits were NOT as good as Reed and Rob and Adou by not having them in the game during crunch time!!!!!

If the top 3 recruits in Cal's OAD class aren't good enough to be in a 1 point game for the final 20 seconds, then he needs to CHANGE his roster building model!!!!

Reed and Rob are WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better than DJ and Justin, that was my point. How you read that to mean anything else is CRAZY!!!!

You were being sarcastic.

Now you’re being dramatic.
—————-

SAD
———
Just to be clear. Nowhere in that did you state what you state in your response.

I agree with your point about Reed and Rob. Thought you were f***ing drunk complaining about the other three being in the bench at the end of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Look, I firmly believe these 3 are being controlled by whatever agency they are signed with. They play half-hearted through games like they're playing not to get hurt. I firmly believe they have been told to do so and have been told they're future in 8 months depends on them not getting hurt. Cal has made a deal with those sport agencies to not get them hurt and if they do get a small injury, the agency tells Cal how many games they sit or if they will play at all the rest of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
Look, I firmly believe these 3 are being controlled by whatever agency they are signed with. They play half-hearted through games like they're playing not to get hurt. I firmly believe they have been told to do so and have been told they're future in 8 months depends on them not getting hurt. Cal has made a deal with those sport agencies to not get them hurt and if they do get a small injury, the agency tells Cal how many games they sit or if they will play at all the rest of the season
But it's gotten to a point where those 3 NOT playing well is going to continue to expose them. They all 3 have fallen out of the Lottery and only Wagner is even projected to go LATE in the 1st round. The other 2 are 2nd round at best or not even expected to be drafted at all.

By not playing hard and better, they will be in the G league next season because like all of these kids Cal brings in now, they RARELY return for a Soph season, even though ALL of them would benefit from it.

I'd like to see if someone has the numbers. But we just haven't had many clutch wins in almost a decade. I kind of had the feeling we'd lose by some BS. Earlier this year we had an OT game, where we just came out in OT absolutely flat. That's another one.

I think Cal is still trying to get DJ and Bradshaw going. I kind of get that, but I want to see this experiment be done by the SECT. Dilly for sure needs more minutes. But I do find it funny how people kept saying how bad he was playing. It's not so much he played bad, he just wasn't making shots. But he's such a prolific scorer for his age that you play him, and his off nights, no matter what.

I love that DJ put up an 0fer. This is just more proof
He's more worried about making sure they're drafted, than he is trying to get the best lineup primed for a tourney run.

It's like his posts are designed to please both or confuse both sides of the argument.

Cal has created this problem. He can’t get hard nosed kids that want to fight and actually care. Those kids know they won’t play right away and will likely be recruited over. We are lucky Adou stuck around after last year. Everyone knew he should have played more last year but Cal had to play his babies like Livingston. So we get kids who don’t want to be in college and already have one foot out the door. Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw are perfect examples of this. Edwards has gotten way too many minutes. DJ only cares about his stats and Bradshaw should never play over Z. Cal doesn’t care about UK, just promises.

It's like his posts are designed to please both or confuse both sides of the argument.
If you read ALL of my posts or even one of my MANY responses in this thread it's more than CLEAR what I'm saying.

This ENTIRE thread was an INDICTMENT on Cal's OAD model now. How it is no longer a viable way to succeed in today's college basketball.

When your TOP 3 rated recruits are sitting on the bench in a 1 pt game with 20 seconds left, Cal is ADMITTING that they aren't good enough to win the game!!! I named the players from the first 8 seasons in the OP to SHOW how FAR the program has fallen because there is NO WAY Cal would leave ANY of those players on the bench in the same situation!!

Nothing "confusing" about my point.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm not yelling about it. But I've been bemoaning it for years now. The transfer portal (supercharged by the prospect of NIL money) made a roster building model contingent on OADs more of an unnecessarily risk-taking gamble and general failure of an idea than it already was.

So, yes - I do not want UK landing "elite" recruiting classes if that means bringing in OAD freshmen to start and try to improve their draft position, rather than recruiting, developing and playing the best CBB players. In my opinion, elite recruiting from a coach is the ability to forecast a player's ability to develop into an All-American or All-Conference type player, or at least a very solid role player, while the player is in a UK uniform.

I would be fine with Calipari binging in any freshman he wants - OADs included. Just make them earn their spot against the best upperclassmen you can develop and the best transfers you can bring in. Because Calipari is/was right about one thing - UK's program should be able to "eat first" regardless of how you want to build a roster. If a freshman can beat out the upperclassmen you've been developing or the best transfers available, then great. If not, however, let them serve as most do at other top schools - role players learning how to play more efficiently, intelligently and productively. And if having to compete means OADs won't come to UK, then I'm more than fine with that - and the win/loss results will be better for it.
While I agree with you the end result would not necessarily be pleasing. That player who has worked his ass of to develop into a solid player in 2-3 years will quickly transfer if he feels he is being recruited over. So depth, chemistry and other intangibles will come into play. I personally don’t know what the answer is and am pessimistic about the future, no matter who the coach is.

Reactions: G-PIP
But it's gotten to a point where those 3 NOT playing well is going to continue to expose them. They all 3 have fallen out of the Lottery and only Wagner is even projected to go LATE in the 1st round. The other 2 are 2nd round at best or not even expected to be drafted at all.

By not playing hard and better, they will be in the G league next season because like all of these kids Cal brings in now, they RARELY return for a Soph season, even though ALL of them would benefit from it.
when they go the NBA combines, they will put themselves right back in the lottery

• Haha
Reactions: catben
While I agree with you the end result would not necessarily be pleasing. That player who has worked his ass of to develop into a solid player in 2-3 years will quickly transfer if he feels he is being recruited over. So depth, chemistry and other intangibles will come into play. I personally don’t know what the answer is and am pessimistic about the future, no matter who the coach is.
Yeah, I understand you’re right that the nuts and bolts of roster construction is not as simple as it might sound. I’m sure it takes a lot of planning, forecasting and convincing. But hasn’t that really always been the case? Coaches have always had to kind of be part-car salesmen and part father/authority figure.

But the one thing every coach I was ever around did was to try to bring in any player that could help him win at a higher rate. Then he would work to get all the players (new and returning) to buy-in to a common goal and meld together. You’re always probably going to lose some players – in the current environment that’s a given. But the better upperclassmen aren’t generally going to fear freshmen recruits if they know the competition will be based on production. Plus, it’s often a sophomore or junior who took off that pushes a senior into a solid backup role anyway (e.g., KD Johnson at Auburn). So, if the Senior is going to transfer, then there’s not much you can do about that. Plus, that’s when a good freshman can step into that backup role and hone his craft. And again, as I said, I don’t have any concern about (and actually hope for) losing OAD freshmen recruits who don’t want to compete with upperclassmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT