ADVERTISEMENT

Add John Clay (LH) to the Cal makes playing time promises to his Fr crowd

I’m as critical of Cal as they come, but I question this. Everyone that has come here and been one and done have openly talked about how Cal makes zero promises coming in. I’m inclined to believe that. Cal is on the downside of his career and it’s looking like a Boeheim like finish as opposed to a Coach K like finish. One didn’t adapt and one did to the changing college basketball landscape. I’m not sure Cal is willing to change. He is as stubborn as they come. That means about playing time too. I’ll pound on him over many things, but I won’t buy that he made promises.
Who literally said Cal never promised anything? I don't recall a player actually speak to that. I'm not being argumentative, just asking, because I have never heard a player get asked about that, or talk about it.

Cal promoted Wallace to the starting point guard position over Wheeler.
After Wheeler got injured, don't act like Cal just cut Wheeler.
When Wheeler was cleared to play, he chose not to, pouted and quit. Quit making shit up.

That doesn't say that Cal makes promises. And no player that's ever played for Cal has said he was promised anything.

Cal is going to play the best players. These leftovers in the transfer portal know they aren't as good as the freshmen we have.

Brandon Boston's commitment was based on the contingency his film crew was allowed to follow them all season with unprecedented access.

Imo that's the first class where cal ever made a promise and it snowballed. Cal sold his soul to get back on top in recruiting. That turned "players first" into "players only". Interests of the program, fans, and/or university no longer enter the equation

I’ve never heard or seen any proof that Cal promises anything, especially playing time.

Did you have some solid evidence showing such OP? You mention John Clay as someone he promised this to in your thread title, then fail to mention him again in your entire essay of a post.

No wonder so many fan bases poke fun at UK fans.
The evidence is the playing time certain players get, regardless of how bad they play. Boston is the first one to come to mind.

And actually, it's not crazy to think promises are made. I think coaches have to make SOME promises to get the best players. These kids want certain things and if you don't make promises, you aren't getting most of these kids.

You aren't thinking these promises are something that gets made public, are you? Do you really believe Cal would ever make that public knowledge? Come on now.

The other point guard on that team was TyTy Washington. He functioned better as the shooting guard despite setting that single-game record with 17 assists. Wheeler was the UK player chosen as a finalist for the Cousy award not Washington. There were good players on that team. That team was severely hurt by injuries.
So now you're saying there were good players. Which is it? Earlier, you said there weren't any good players, just Oscar.

Obviously Washington was special, dudes don't accomplish what he did if they suck.

After Wheeler got injured, don't act like Cal just cut Wheeler.
When Wheeler was cleared to play, he chose not to, pouted and quit. Quit making shit up.
It was reported that Cal's plan was to promote Wallace to the starting point guard position. That was before Wheeler's injury.

It was reported that Cal's plan was to promote Wallace to the starting point guard position. That was before Wheeler's injury.
Reported by who? You're the first one to ask for proof when the accusation is something that looks bad on Cal, so now it's your turn. Show proof, or admit you made it up.

so are your numbers just based on their freshmen year?

secondly, I think you have to look at it on a yearly basis, not in the aggregate, because of the competition for those minutes.

and finally , when someone says he does not play the best players, I don't think that discussion is referencing ranking in class, its based on whether the player on that team in that moment is the best player for that position

I thinkyour data actually supports the accusation that he promises minutes based on player rankings versus actual player value to the team. While I don't think he promises minutes per se, I believe he commits to whatever he believes is necessary to make certain players NBA ready.

I appreciate the effort on your part to collect and relay that data though, even if you and I think it tells a different story
Yes they are ONLY the FR year.

Actually what is often said is that "Cal only plays 5* Freshmen". I bet Collins wishes that was true his FR year (playing very little behind unrated Toppin).

There are many confounding factors that cannot be taken into account by a simple 2-way graph. For example, number of other players at the position, rank and year and prior season minutes of those other players, injuries, etc...

I don't think Cal has a blind-eye to the 5* players, playing them regardless of their performance or readiness, like many on here claim. But I do think he gives those 5* he thinks are "ready" a longer leash than they probably should be given.

Reported by who? You're the first one to ask for proof when the accusation is something that looks bad on Cal, so now it's your turn. Show proof, or admit you made it up.
There was not one source. The fact of the matter is that after Wheeer was injured, Cal made Wallace the starting point guard. Wallace remained the starter for the rest of the season.

There was not one source. The fact of the matter is that after Wheeer was injured, Cal made Wallace the starting point guard. Wallace remained the starter for the rest of the season.
Oh, so it's fine when you can’t provide proof, we are just supposed to take your word for it, but you demand proof from everyone else for obvious things. You’re a piece of shit.

You
Oh, so it's fine when you can’t provide proof, we are just supposed to take your word for it, but you demand proof from everyone else for obvious things. You’re a piece of shit.
You are a lunatic! You're on this forum ranting and raving all day and night! I have to work and I have a life. I don't have time to be arguing with you over these petty things.! Wheeler was replaced in the starting line-up by Cal.
Wheeler was disgruntled and upset about his benching according to Ralph Dalton and other posters on this board. The fact that Wheeler and his family refused to participate in UK's graduation ceremony is an indication that he and his family were upset. Wallace clearly was the starting point guard for UK at the end of the season.
Wheeler woukdn't have transferred to another schol if he felt comfortable with his role at UK. It's a beautiful day in Chicago. After work, I am going to go out with friends. I am not going to spend all day debating what happened with the team last year.

You
You are a lunatic! You're on this forum ranting and raving all day and night! I have to work and I have a life. I don't have time to be arguing with you over these petty things.! Wheeler was replaced in the starting line-up by Cal.
Wheeler was disgruntled and upset about his benching according to Ralph Dalton and other posters on this board. The fact that Wheeler and his family refused to participate in UK's graduation ceremony is an indication that he and his family were upset. Wallace clearly was the starting point guard for UK at the end of the season.
Wheeler woukdn't have transferred to another schol if he felt comfortable with his role at UK. It's a beautiful day in Chicago. After work, I am going to go out with friends. I am not going to spend all day debating what happened with the team last year.
So us it okay if the rest of us go on a rant like this whenever you demand proof? Why are you coming unglued over something that is common for you to demand other do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT