ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's NEW One-And-Done: Top 3 recruits on the bench to end the game.

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw, our top 3 recruits coming into this year were ALL riding the pine those last 20 seconds!!!

That's how far down Cal's roster building has fallen. Can you imagine Wall, Boogie, Bledsoe, Knight, Jones, Lamb, Davis, MKG, Nerlens, Randle, the Twins, KAT, Murray, Fox, Monk, Bam, PJ or Herro sitting the bench with a 1 point deficit at the end of a game????!!!!!!!

Add this to Cal's TOTAL lack of coaching and you get what we have had the last 4 seasons.

SAD

I don’t get your point…that was the better coaching decision to not have them on the floor…don’t you agrees?

Reed
Dilly (was on fire and nearly won the game)
Reeves
Thiero
Ugo

The only one you can argue that should come off floor is Ugo….but who would you put in? A shot at the rim hes our best shot blocker by far

I get Dj/Edwards/Bradshaw are highest rated…but at this point who gives a crap over goofy high school ratings?

- I knew from Bradshaw Sr high school season…had zilch offensive game and his bean pole legs was going to struggle with interior college players. And while I’m not Nostradamus…dude is terrible offensive, shooting 25%3pt line, is scored on all the time and is a poor rebounder

- DJ….he wasn’t a good shooter in high school and was a high volume shooter to get his points. Now I thought he’d be more explosive athlete and would possibly be a dog on defense…that has not panned out

- Edwards was never a great shooter as a wing…I’m a bit stunned his athletic ability is thjs ho-hum is what I see. His jumper is coming around though. But his bball IQ is pretty low and his motor is even lower

In the end, Cal strategy of leaning on high school kids is a failed idea if you only keep them one year. But he keeps betting on guys lkke Bradshaw in particular, Whitney, Livingston, EJ Montgomery, Boston, Wenyen , etc and the failed seasons mount up snd his baloney smokescreen crap each offseason and Uk fans have to accept it due to Mitch’s insane contract binds our options

But it’s all coming closer to the day we’re done with Cals stupid era

Isn't this what we wanted? Lol

I think DJs absolute no-show, along with Bradshaws bad game, will only continue to erode their minutes. Edwardsa was on his way to being in the same boat, but that yhe right time he started to get better and figure things out

Isn't this what we wanted? Lol

I think DJs absolute no-show, along with Bradshaws bad game, will only continue to erode their minutes. Edwardsa was on his way to being in the same boat, but that yhe right time he started to get better and figure things out
It's a shame these kids are all in a hurry to get out of here. Wagner, Bradshaw, and Edwards could all turn into all-SEC level guys with some development. They have no patience, however, and all of them will test the g-league grinder and mix their basketball guts with the rotting parts of guys like Goodwin, Whitney, Boston, Ty Ty, and Skal.

This was a historically weak overall class. The irony is that Cal finally landed an "elite class" again, but none of the three highest ranked guys are lottery level players (Dillingham wasn't a top 10 kid by most outlets).

I swear I think he made a deal with the devil on those Harrison 3s.

The amount of close games we've lost since is unbelievable. We haven't been on the right side of a buzzerbeater/tip in/free throws/bad call in forever. Our record on game leads changing in the final 30 seconds, we must be like 3-23 since 2015.. I really can't think of any. But lsu last night, lsu goaltend, Seton hall msg.. all come to mind. And there's a ton more

It's a shame these kids are all in a hurry to get out of here. Wagner, Bradshaw, and Edwards could all turn into all-SEC level guys with some development. They have no patience, however, and all of them will test the g-league grinder and mix their basketball guts with the rotting parts of guys like Goodwin, Whitney, Boston, Ty Ty, and Skal.

Honestly I don't know if I want any of them back. 1AD just doesn't work in this era and those guys (maybe not edwards now) are just so off the mark

DJ is now worse than Wheeler. Maybe he was before this game. He's on Askew levels of bad at this point.

I swear I think he made a deal with the devil on those Harrison 3s.

The amount of close games we've lost since is unbelievable. We haven't been on the right side of a buzzerbeater/tip in/free throws/bad call in forever. Our record on game leads changing in the final 30 seconds, we must be like 3-23 since 2015.. I really can't think of any. But lsu last night, lsu goaltend, Seton hall msg.. all come to mind. And there's a ton more
Good point. Plus the tourney losses themselves have been games we can't close, even when the game is within a 1 to 2 points in the final minutes. Wisconsin (1 point game with about a minute left after Aaron's "and-one"), K-State, Auburn, St. Peter's, etc. All of these were within a possession at the end of regulation. We lost all of them.

Honestly I don't know if I want any of them back. 1AD just doesn't work in this era and those guys (maybe not edwards now) are just so off the mark

DJ is now worse than Wheeler. Maybe he was before this game. He's on Askew levels of bad at this point.
What's insane is that we have a guard whose efficiency numbers are better than the freshman version of Iverson, coming off the bench playing behind Wagner, 26 games into the season.

For the life of me, I do not understand this type of decision making.

Good point. Plus the tourney losses themselves have been games we can't close, even when the game is within a 1 to 2 points in the final minutes. Wisconsin (1 point game with about a minute left after Aaron's "and-one"), K-State, Auburn, St. Peter's, etc. All of these were within a possession at the end of regulation. We lost all of them.

What's insane is that we have a guard whose efficiency numbers are better than the freshman version of Iverson, coming off the bench playing behind Wagner, 26 games into the season.

For the life of me, I do not understand this type of decision making.

I'd like to see if someone has the numbers. But we just haven't had many clutch wins in almost a decade. I kind of had the feeling we'd lose by some BS. Earlier this year we had an OT game, where we just came out in OT absolutely flat. That's another one.

I think Cal is still trying to get DJ and Bradshaw going. I kind of get that, but I want to see this experiment be done by the SECT. Dilly for sure needs more minutes. But I do find it funny how people kept saying how bad he was playing. It's not so much he played bad, he just wasn't making shots. But he's such a prolific scorer for his age that you play him, and his off nights, no matter what.

I love that DJ put up an 0fer. This is just more proof

Reactions: bIhawk
I don’t get your point…that was the better coaching decision to not have them on the floor…don’t you agrees?

Reed
Dilly (was on fire and nearly won the game)
Reeves
Thiero
Ugo

The only one you can argue that should come off floor is Ugo….but who would you put in? A shot at the rim hes our best shot blocker by far

I get Dj/Edwards/Bradshaw are highest rated…but at this point who gives a crap over goofy high school ratings?

- I knew from Bradshaw Sr high school season…had zilch offensive game and his bean pole legs was going to struggle with interior college players. And while I’m not Nostradamus…dude is terrible offensive, shooting 25%3pt line, is scored on all the time and is a poor rebounder

- DJ….he wasn’t a good shooter in high school and was a high volume shooter to get his points. Now I thought he’d be more explosive athlete and would possibly be a dog on defense…that has not panned out

- Edwards was never a great shooter as a wing…I’m a bit stunned his athletic ability is thjs ho-hum is what I see. His jumper is coming around though. But his bball IQ is pretty low and his motor is even lower

In the end, Cal strategy of leaning on high school kids is a failed idea if you only keep them one year. But he keeps betting on guys lkke Bradshaw in particular, Whitney, Livingston, EJ Montgomery, Boston, Wenyen , etc and the failed seasons mount up snd his baloney smokescreen crap each offseason and Uk fans have to accept it due to Mitch’s insane contract binds our options

But it’s all coming closer to the day we’re done with Cals stupid era
You just made my point for me in greater detail!!

The fact that Cal had our top 3 recruits on the bench for the last 20 seconds tells EVERYONE how far he has fallen as not only a recruiter but coach. His OAD model depends on his top recruits to be MUCH BETTER than not only players on his own team but the opponent also. So when those kids are not at that level, Cal's teams are not very good.

He has been bailed out by how GREAT Reed and Rob have been on top of Reeves playing like an All-American. But he STILL continues to start Wagner and Edwards over Reed and Rob. Wagner and Edwards playing over 20 minutes last night is RIDICULOUS!!!

But it is just the result of Cal 's FLAWED roster building that has been the reason for UK Basketball's downfall over the past 4 years. The game has changed and seasoned veterans are BULLYING Cal's SOFT OAD kids and he REFUSES to adapt, even though he KNOWS it's FAILING!!!!

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw, our top 3 recruits coming into this year were ALL riding the pine those last 20 seconds!!!
You sound like you're just howling at the moon. Are you complaining that he's playing players he thinks give us the best chance to win and not playing people based on recruiting ratings? Look at the minute distribution over the last month. These three players are way down the list!

I get it. We, as fans, are not happy! We want to voice our displeasure.

I have alot of complaints, but I'm not going to complain about Cal not having those three players in at crunch time! Yes, those same three players may be in the NBA next year. (Or, at least, playing in some kind of pro league.) That's an NBA issue and not a college issue. They may develop into excellent players sometime in the future. But as of today, Edwards is a decent college player, but slowly getting better. Wagner is a very sporadic freshman. Bradshaw is a big man with no strength in the paint, but knows he MUST develop a perimeter game to have any chance to advance his career. It may happen, but it's NOT happening this year at UK.

I will NOT complain about those three players watching from the bench during crunch time. As a matter of fact, it's one of the few things I credit Cal for as the season has progressed. He's reduced minutes for certain players that many fans said he would never do!

Reactions: grevey35 and G-PIP
What in the hell are you advocating for here OP?
I'm just pointing out how FLAWED Cal's OAD model is now.

When the top 3 recruits in the class aren't good enough to be in a 1 point game with 20 seconds left. that is an EXTREME problem!!!!

I'm NOT saying that they should have been in there!!! I'm saying that Cal NOT having them in there tells EVERYONE that HE even KNOWS he can't depend on the TOP 3 players in HIS recruiting class!!!!

So WHY are they getting SOOOOOO MUCH playing time and 2 of them are even starting over 2 players(Reed and Rob) that are MUCH better??!!!!!! Thats' what I'm "advocating"!!!!

You just made my point for me in greater detail!!

The fact that Cal had our top 3 recruits on the bench for the last 20 seconds tells EVERYONE how far he has fallen as not only a recruiter but coach. His OAD model depends on his top recruits to be MUCH BETTER than not only players on his own team but the opponent also. So when those kids are not at that level, Cal's teams are not very good.

He has been bailed out by how GREAT Reed and Rob have been on top of Reeves playing like an All-American. But he STILL continues to start Wagner and Edwards over Reed and Rob. Wagner and Edwards playing over 20 minutes last night is RIDICULOUS!!!

But it is just the result of Cal 's FLAWED roster building that has been the reason for UK Basketball's downfall over the past 4 years. The game has changed and seasoned veterans are BULLYING Cal's SOFT OAD kids and he REFUSES to adapt, even though he KNOWS it's FAILING!!!!
So this board is ready to land NON-elite recruiting classes if it means in THREE YEARS we'll have a physically mature team? Just checking what you want to yell about next.

It really does suck. I'd much rather have sophomores Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw than their freshmen counterparts - Fland, Knox, and Cyril I guess.

You sound like you're just howling at the moon. Are you complaining that he's playing players he thinks give us the best chance to win and not playing people based on recruiting ratings? Look at the minute distribution over the last month. These three players are way down the list!

I get it. We, as fans, are not happy! We want to voice our displeasure.

I have alot of complaints, but I'm not going to complain about Cal not having those three players in at crunch time! Yes, those same three players may be in the NBA next year. (Or, at least, playing in some kind of pro league.) That's an NBA issue and not a college issue. They may develop into excellent players sometime in the future. But as of today, Edwards is a decent college player, but slowly getting better. Wagner is a very sporadic freshman. Bradshaw is a big man with no strength in the paint, but knows he MUST develop a perimeter game to have any chance to advance his career. It may happen, but it's NOT happening this year at UK.

I will NOT complain about those three players watching from the bench during crunch time. As a matter of fact, it's one of the few things I credit Cal for as the season has progressed. He's reduced minutes for certain players that many fans said he would never do!
If you read this thread I am SAYING that those 3 players are NOT good enough to be in the game when our team needs them the MOST!!!!

That tells me and EVERYONE that Cal ACKNOWLEDGES that his TOP 3 recruits are not good enough to win the game!!!!

Can you imagine ANY of the players I mentioned in my OP NOT being in the game during crunch time??

It was a REALITY CHECK for Cal and told me this team is MUCH BETTER with Reed and Rob in the game and they need to play MUCH MORE than those other 3!!!! And Cal ADMITTED this by who he had in the game those last 20 seconds!!!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
So this board is ready to land NON-elite recruiting classes if it means in THREE YEARS we'll have a physically mature team? Just checking what you want to yell about next.
Are the 3 kids I'm referring to ELITE????!!!

If the OAD kids Cal brings in aren't good enough to win at the HIGHEST level instead of losing to a CRAPPY LSU team and a CRAPPY Texas A&M team, maybe he needs to ALTER his approach at roster management!!!

Losing 10 games a year with these top OAD kids that aren't even good enough to be in a tight game, WHY does he continue to build a roster around them???!!!

And I'm YELLING because of how RIDICULOUS this program has become because of Cal's narcissistic STUBBORNNESS!!!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Elite recruiting classes need to be elite. All 3 of these players were billed as elite but that doesn’t make them elite. All 3 had already declared for the draft before having played a single game in a UK uniform, that’s the problem and cal is the root of that problem.

I'm not yelling about it. But I've been bemoaning it for years now. The transfer portal (supercharged by the prospect of NIL money) made a roster building model contingent on OADs more of an unnecessarily risk-taking gamble and general failure of an idea than it already was.

So, yes - I do not want UK landing "elite" recruiting classes if that means bringing in OAD freshmen to start and try to improve their draft position, rather than recruiting, developing and playing the best CBB players. In my opinion, elite recruiting from a coach is the ability to forecast a player's ability to develop into an All-American or All-Conference type player, or at least a very solid role player, while the player is in a UK uniform.

I would be fine with Calipari binging in any freshman he wants - OADs included. Just make them earn their spot against the best upperclassmen you can develop and the best transfers you can bring in. Because Calipari is/was right about one thing - UK's program should be able to "eat first" regardless of how you want to build a roster. If a freshman can beat out the upperclassmen you've been developing or the best transfers available, then great. If not, however, let them serve as most do at other top schools - role players learning how to play more efficiently, intelligently and productively. And if having to compete means OADs won't come to UK, then I'm more than fine with that - and the win/loss results will be better for it.

I think stars next to a players name mean nothing if you don’t have a team. Of the 8 games Kentucky has lost this year would cal have taken a single one on the roster?

Elite recruiting classes mean nothing in todays landscape unless June is your championship, but I don’t know when the d-league draft is so championship for our players may be delayed this season.

Reactions: catben

That's how far down Cal's roster building has fallen. Can you imagine Wall, Boogie, Bledsoe, Knight, Jones, Lamb, Davis, MKG, Nerlens, Randle, the Twins, KAT, Murray, Fox, Monk, Bam, PJ or Herro sitting the bench with a 1 point deficit at the end of a game????!!!!!!!

Add this to Cal's TOTAL lack of coaching and you get what we have had the last 4 seasons.

SAD
lmao, what's the point of this? So our under-performing players are on the bench at the end of a close game because our GOOD players are playing - yet it's a lack of coaching? I don't think you're making the flex you think you're making here...

Plenty of posters have been clamoring for less DJ, less Edwards, less AB on the floor - and then when that actually happens, you make a post bashing Cal for bad coaching when he does exactly what you've been wanting him to do?

Elite recruiting classes need to be elite. All 3 of these players were billed as elite but that doesn’t make them elite. All 3 had already declared for the draft before having played a single game in a UK uniform, that’s the problem and cal is the root of that problem.
I agree with plenty of this, but I also think it's another no-win situation for Cal with a portion of the fanbase. Can you imagine how much he'd be criticized if DJ committed to Louisville instead? So we land him, he underperforms, and it's Cal's fault for bringing in one of the top recruits that's also one of the most overrated recruits (still, time will tell on that).

Cal created a OAD NBA factory that HAS worked, and HAS failed. I don't know what the perfect recipe is. It's worked for Duke, it's failed for Duke. Villanova's style has worked, and it's failed. Kansas' style has worked, and it's failed. Scott Drew won a title, then he's been bounced in the first weekend the next 2 years.

So again, I don't know what the right recipe is. Maybe he needs to keep recruiting like this, but have better assistants, or Cal needs to delegate more to his assistants. Or maybe he needs to try and build a program, rather than build a recruiting class. But that requires even more patience by the fanbase, right?

Didn’t read the whole thread SIAP:

If the point is them 3 not playing during do or die time is proof that their minutes should be more limited for the entirety of the game and “play the best lineup more minutes”…. Then I agree

If the argument is those guys should be in at the end of the game then I vehemently disagree and argue that them being pushed into the lineup when they shouldn’t be is a big reason for our struggles.

We go on runs when they are on the bench and lose leads or start out in a while when they are all in (it’s been the trend all year and everyone sees it but Cal) (Cal sees it but doesn’t care bc he needs them to do enough to get drafted so they keep getting the benefit of the doubt) (Draft>College wins; Winning is a nice to have not a need to have at this point in Cal’s life; he cares more about “helping these kids chase dreams)

With that said, Edwards has been significantly better the last 2 weeks. And Wagner is a solid backup if you’d tell him to not shoot outside of 10 feet and get to the rim/play D

lmao, what's the point of this? So our under-performing players are on the bench at the end of a close game because our GOOD players are playing - yet it's a lack of coaching? I don't think you're making the flex you think you're making here...

Plenty of posters have been clamoring for less DJ, less Edwards, less AB on the floor - and then when that actually happens, you make a post bashing Cal for bad coaching when he does exactly what you've been wanting him to do?
My OP and other posts explain in DETAIL what I meant.

It is actually Cal ADMITTING that his top 3 recruits CAN'T get the job done during crunch time. So WHY does he STILL insist on building his teams around OVER-HYPED Freshman that will leave after a year and UK Basketball doesn't even get the benefit of WINNING anything???!!!

Instead of creating a roster that could be filled with experienced MATURE players in this age of the transfer portal and NIL, he chooses to build it around kids that he WON'T even play in the last 20 seconds of a 1 point game. Yet he INSISTS on playing them 20 minutes/game.

SAD
Yeah, these 3 DOGS, as we were lead to believe, which most bought into are mild cats, they sure don't fight like Wild Cats. These have to be some of the most overrated players in UK history. IMO this team has no identity, you never know what to expect. Very young inexperienced team that's been exposed over and over. Times gave changed, OAD is over if you want to win. The proof is in the pudding now, talented experienced player are better than talented teenagers.

Didn’t read the whole thread SIAP:

If the point is them 3 not playing during do or die time is proof that their minutes should be more limited for the entirety of the game and “play the best lineup more minutes”…. Then I agree

We go on runs when they are on the bench and lose leads or start out in a while when they are all in (it’s been the trend all year and everyone sees it but Cal) (Cal sees it but doesn’t care bc he needs them to do enough to get drafted so they keep getting the benefit of the doubt) (Draft>College wins; Winning is a nice to have not a need to have at this point in Cal’s life; he cares more about “helping these kids chase dreams)
If you read all of MY posts, this is the point that I was making.

It says MORE about Cal's current OAD Model and how much the players he USED TO bring in were ready to play at a high level and win championships, but now they are riding the pine at crunch time.

If it weren't for Reed and Rob being MUCH BETTER than even Cal assumed they would be, our team would struggle to win even MORE!!

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
My OP and other posts explain in DETAIL what I meant.

It is actually Cal ADMITTING that his top 3 recruits CAN'T get the job done during crunch time. So WHY does he STILL insist on building his teams around OVER-HYPED Freshman that will leave after a year and UK Basketball doesn't even get the benefit of WINNING anything???!!!

Instead of creating a roster that could be filled with experienced MATURE players in this age of the transfer portal and NIL, he chooses to build it around kids that he WON'T even play in the last 20 seconds of a 1 point game. Yet he INSISTS on playing them 20 minutes/game.
Well, if I had to guess, it's because he won a national title with freshmen, and has gone to multiple Final 4s with freshmen. So has Kansas, so has Duke, so has Syracuse, so has Kansas. Now, it has also failed several times. So yeah, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

But when Kentucky took those freshmen-oriented teams to the Final 4, or to the Elite 8, how many veteran teams did the Cats upset along the way? Plenty. Veteran doesn't always mean better.

Personally, I would LOVE for a veteran team. But like you noted, NIL and Portal can also make it TOUGH to build continuity. Kids can bounce around, just because YOU want them to stay in your program multiple years doesn't mean they will.

Then you also have your Reed Sheppard, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Tyler Herro, etc who were SUPPOSED to be multiple year players but excelled so much that were NBA picks earlier than expected

If you read this thread I am SAYING that those 3 players are NOT good enough to be in the game when our team needs them the MOST!!!!

That tells me and EVERYONE that Cal ACKNOWLEDGES that his TOP 3 recruits are not good enough to win the game!!!!

Can you imagine ANY of the players I mentioned in my OP NOT being in the game during crunch time??

It was a REALITY CHECK for Cal and told me this team is MUCH BETTER with Reed and Rob in the game and they need to play MUCH MORE than those other 3!!!! And Cal ADMITTED this by who he had in the game those last 20 seconds!!!
I understand some people are mad at Cal regardless of what he does. I call this crowd, "I'm mad at Cal regardless of what he does." (Cal does plenty to cause frustration, but that's a topic for a different post!)

Are you mad at Cal for recruiting Dillingham, Reed, developing a 2nd year Thiero, getting Reeves to return, .... then playing this lineup the majority of minutes and especially having them in the game at crunch time?

I try to analyze the game logically and without emotion. I don't understand how anyone can logically complain about recruiting and at the same time be happy about Rob & Reed!

Here's what UK fans should know from experience about freshmen. A few recruits will not live up to the expectations. 1-2 will be bad college players. 1 or 2 recruits will be decent/sometimes good. 1 player (sometimes 2) will meet or exceed expectations. This happens EVERY year.

I'm the first person to admit that I didn't expect Rob and Reed to be our best freshmen. What I'm NOT mad about is the fact they ARE getting the majority of the minutes and have been for over a month!

Regarding OAD. This is an NBA issue and not a UK issue. The NBA did NOT take Richards. He played at UK for 3 years and was a candidate for SEC POY his 3rd year! We probably agree that I don't see ANY POSSIBLE way the NBA takes Bradshaw. He needs to be on the Nick Richards 3 yr plan. However, that decision will not be made by Cal as much as it will be made by Bradshaw's group. I feel the same way about Edwards. (Yet, I still think Edwards and Wagner get guaranteed NBA $ this draft.)

I want Cal to bring in the BEST recruiting class he can possibly bring in every year. Then, I want him to give playing time to the best players regardless of their hs ranking. People want to believe this narrative that Cal is owned by certain agents, (Klutch, etc...) and that he's determined to get certain players to the draft. Yet, (as you acknowledged) he has 3 of them sitting beside him on the bench down the stretch. Last night wasn't an aberration. Just look at minutes in the boxscore.

Many of us have "Cal-fatigue." Yet, the one thing I cannot complain about is him not playing players regardless of their preseason hype.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Our fans: why is Wagner starting and playing so many mins. Why is Edwards starting.

Also our fans: look at these guys on the bench at the end of games.

Just be happy he's playing the right guys in crunch time lol

Reactions: bballcat4

SAD
Again to play devils advocate, how many people thought cal would ever do that? I mean, if his faves are so protected how come he has them on the bench in crunch time?

I don't think he has favorites. I think he just doesn't like to be wrong. So in his head if he thinks he has a stud, he extends them too much grace. But I was relieved to see the lineup he put in at the end. It's too bad we were already in a losing situation by that time.

Reactions: bballcat4
I understand some people are mad at Cal regardless of what he does. I call this crowd, "I'm mad at Cal regardless of what he does." (Cal does plenty to cause frustration, but that's a topic for a different post!)

Are you mad at Cal for recruiting Dillingham, Reed, developing a 2nd year Thiero, getting Reeves to return, .... then playing this lineup the majority of minutes and especially having them in the game at crunch time?

I try to analyze the game logically and without emotion. I don't understand how anyone can logically complain about recruiting and at the same time be happy about Rob & Reed!

Here's what UK fans should know from experience about freshmen. A few recruits will not live up to the expectations. 1-2 will be bad college players. 1 or 2 recruits will be decent/sometimes good. 1 player (sometimes 2) will meet or exceed expectations. This happens EVERY year.

I'm the first person to admit that I didn't expect Rob and Reed to be our best freshmen. What I'm NOT mad about is the fact they ARE getting the majority of the minutes and have been for over a month!

Regarding OAD. This is an NBA issue and not a UK issue. The NBA did NOT take Richards. He played at UK for 3 years and was a candidate for SEC POY his 3rd year! We probably agree that I don't see ANY POSSIBLE way the NBA takes Bradshaw. He needs to be on the Nick Richards 3 yr plan. However, that decision will not be made by Cal as much as it will be made by Bradshaw's group. I feel the same way about Edwards. (Yet, I still think Edwards and Wagner get guaranteed NBA $ this draft.)

I want Cal to bring in the BEST recruiting class he can possibly bring in every year. Then, I want him to give playing time to the best players regardless of their hs ranking. People want to believe this narrative that Cal is owned by certain agents, (Klutch, etc...) and that he's determined to get certain players to the draft. Yet, (as you acknowledged) he has 3 of them sitting beside him on the bench down the stretch. Last night wasn't an aberration. Just look at minutes in the boxscore.

Many of us have "Cal-fatigue." Yet, the one thing I cannot complain about is him not playing players regardless of their preseason hype.
This here is a good post.

SAD
I don't follow recruiting never have. Could care less. But I read on this board multiple times how this overall class was way down nationally compared to past years.
Looks like the ones posting that knew what they were talking about

Our fans: why is Wagner starting and playing so many mins. Why is Edwards starting.

Also our fans: look at these guys on the bench at the end of games.

Just be happy he's playing the right guys in crunch time lol
Those guys being on the bench at the end of games is an INDICTMENT on Cal and his insistence on playing those 3(Wagner and Edwards specifically) more than they actually deserve to play.

That's my problem. If Cal would play Reed and Rob MORE and DJ, Edwards and Bradshaw( who he has lately) less, our team would have a MUCH better chance at winning MORE games like last night.

Also how much are the top recruits Cal is bringing in now are behind those from the first 8 seasons??? These past 4 classes have not won ANYWHERE NEAR the level of those first 8!! That is my other point.

Last edited:

Regarding OAD. This is an NBA issue and not a UK issue. The NBA did NOT take Richards. He played at UK for 3 years and was a candidate for SEC POY his 3rd year! We probably agree that I don't see ANY POSSIBLE way the NBA takes Bradshaw. He needs to be on the Nic

-I'm just "mad" that Cal has allowed the UK Basketball program to slide to close to an all-time low point outside of the probation years

-I am actually stating the opposite. I want to see MORE of those players and LESS of the 3(Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw) that were ranked higher.

-I want Cal to VALUE Rob and Reed as much as he does Wagner and Edwards by STARTING them!! That would be the MOST "Logical and emotionless" answer for Cal going forward.

-Cal STRUGGLES to figure this out lately. That's because he doesn't evaluate talent as good now as he used to which results in him being stubborn over PT.

-As I have stated throughout this thread: I want MORE of those 2!!!! How could you read ANYTHING other than that into my posts in this thread???!!!

-Cal has made the OAD a UK "issue" by his OWN choosing. So if he is going to continue to use this model, he better figure out how to win like he did those first 8 seasons!!!

- My "Cal fatigue" is from him "not playing" the kids that give us the best chance at winning ENOUGH minutes per game.

Last edited:
It's turned out that the guys saying this year's freshman crop was below normal years were right about the top 10 but it was really a case of the wrong guys being ranked top 10 when a few like Dilly and Shep should have been in the top 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT