ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari calls out UK's negative nellies on this board

Not better than we are but keep trying, and they're sitting at home already as 1 and 2 seeds.

Ok, first off, I'm not arguing that his system doesn't work. I said I don't like him renting jerseys for nine months to guys that have no interest in UK or college. My point is the way he's doing it is not the only way to win and it feels cheap. If all you care about is 6 games in March then you're probably happy. I like watching the kids play for four years and grow as basketball players.

This is one of if not the biggest fan bases in all of sport. We are right there with Bama Football. Packers,Cowboys,Steelers, Yankees,etc.
More fans more crazy complainers. Just a fact of life.
I don't like how we play sometimes but I can't and I won't call out 18-19 year old kids. It is just stupid. Briscoe has so much hate from fans it is unreal. He is a 19 year old kid.
Does he always play well? of course not. But when I look at him I see a kid who is playing hard all the time. Playing hard don't always mean he plays well but he is out there busting it.
It is also hard to bash a coach who has done what Cal has done here. If social media and the like was out 60 years ago Rupp I am sure would have left way before he did.
No coach or team is gonna win every game or win a championship every year.
Cal's teams at least most of them start season out hot. Reason being coaches have no film on a complete new team like we have every year. They have player film from high school but that don't tell a coach how they will play as a team. So we start hot. Then by late Dec/early Jan. there is film for coaches to see and good coaches stop or slow down the things we do well.
Then Cal has to reboot/breakdown and start over. So in mean time we get hit with a few loses. Every team we lost to sans Tenn made the tournamnet. By March we are almost always a tough out and we are 3 out of every 4 years at least a huge threat to win it all.
How many programs can say that? 3 or 4 other programs at best. IMO as a fan that is all you can ask for. Cal will not be here forever. Enjoy the ride. Because we may have to burn through 2-3 more coaches after Cal to find one that is on his level. They don't grow on trees.

Here's the problem cal has. When he came in he set expectations through the roof. Said his goal was to catch UCLA, said his goal was to have an undefeated season. Now he seems every year to downplay expectations especially this time of year. I mean he said this was his best recruiting class. There is an element of being accountable to those you make statements like that to.

Everyone was on board with his recruiting methodology from day 1 with all at elevated expectations. Now that we see that those expecatations will not be realized well now many question whether it's worth it to not know who we have one year to the next.

There are ALOT of fans who trade some wins in order to have more consistency with our players. Folks may crap on it but greatest memories of my childhood wasn't wins, it was getting to know the players and having a big family, players, fans, coaches, etc. I know Mr. Wildcat from a very young age and when I was around the team I felt like part of the family bc I got to know the guys.

Uk hoops may be the only sports organization in this country that has no idea who will be on the roster from one year to the next. I mean prosports teams don't turnover at the rate we do. Neither do football or baseball programs at the collegiate level due to rules. College hoops sees some turnover but no where near the level of UK under cal. It really is unprecedented

Reactions: kennywalker34
Ok, first off, I'm not arguing that his system doesn't work. I said I don't like him renting jerseys for nine months to guys that have no interest in UK or college. My point is the way he's doing it is not the only way to win and it feels cheap. If all you care about is 6 games in March then you're probably happy. I like watching the kids play for four years and grow as basketball players.
Cheer for another team. Nobody else been more successful than cal since being at uk. What more do you want him to do??

what the hell are you talking about? I predicted S16 key word predicted, meaning it's my opinion. jeez grow a pair.
You are so right. There's a big difference in one's opinion and being negative. I'll go as far to say that I will be elated if the Cats make it to the final 4, and not surprised if they don't. JMO.

Reactions: JerseyCat84
Every time you post its something really friggin stupid and everybody except a couple of your butt buddies sees it

Reactions: Calsthebomb
Still wish he didn't use one and dones. Still hate the system.
So do I, but that does NOT make us any LESS as a FAN!!! [cheers] All that MONEY should buy him some thick skin! It's only yielded one championship in eight year's, and not to even mention ALL THOSE NBA PLAYER'S WITH 5 STAR'S THAT COMES WITH ALL THE OVERALL WINS, FINAL FOUR'S, e c t !!! :ear: Heck, even my neighbor's know I am a FANATIC....... :popcorn:

Reactions: GOING FOR #9
I don't know why you're so intrigued by me. You have a personal problem with me and you don't know me. You read my negative posts but disregard the 5 other positive posts i make to defend hump or briscoe. Or the posts I make that says we have a great chance. I notice when I post something positive no one replies. It's always been that way on the internet, but if I post something critical, ah now I'm a "terrible fan" a "hater", don't know what I'm talking about, etc. if you don't like the critiques then don't reply they will resolve of their own volition. If you think certain fans are negative well that's something you have to deal with individually.

There are multiple standards for our fans. It's ok for instance to rip a bench player but a 1 and done ahhh leave them alone. I've been critical of Malik monk and his mindset all season. He is hit or miss but I don't endlessly bag on him the way some have with hump for instance. Or the masses who say "wtf has happened to Gabriel". It seems like it's ok with players who aren't as important to the team. I mean there was a thread on here mocking Gabriel for his dong pics and a lot of the mockers were the same people who say "leave monk alone", you BWO74 choose what you want to see and leave everything else out. Maybe you should just put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.

Appreciate the well thought out post and sentiment. I will now give you another chance. I will never put anyone on ignore, as i would miss too much fun. Honestly, I don't agree with you most of the time, but I do every now and then. in sum, and I know you couldn't care less, I will reopen my opinion center for you, and we will see how it goes from here. I don't mind you voicing opinions on players or coaches, but when you say things like "Monks already gone" because he isn't playing like "you" think he should, well, it makes me 'think' you are just a self-obsorbed crazy person. Like he's not only a 19 year old? Geez, you don't think he wishes he wa playing his best ball. That's the type of stuff that makes people believe you're a basher just to bash. But what do I really know, I'm just an effeminate little bitch.

I'm sorry, but cal is wrong here for calling out the fan base in any way.
I am not a proponent of the constant complainers or "negative nellies", but the extreme swings in emotion of the fan base is the result of its extreme passion.
Yell, scream, bitch and whine---- it's all far better than apathy.
Cal took a position at the greatest hoops program on the map --- one under the adoration ....and sometimes intense glare of the most fervent fan base.
There is no separting the good from the bad as it relates to fan enthusiasm ....and what comes with.
With all due respect Cal.... the fans are the reason this is the greatest job in college sports.
Embrace the good.... roll with the bad. Ya can't have one without the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOING FOR #9
So we had one bad loss and that ruined the season for you?Expectations are getting absurd.
Can you read?Try again..where did i say 1 loss ruined my season..If you read between the lines i said its about F4 and titles..I was just pointing out the committee said the loss to Tenn cost us a 1 seed.

There are plenty here who throw the players under the bus to cover coaching deficiencies. It is done way too often.
If Briscoe is such human trash, then why is our coach playing him so much?

I believe your statement gives light to your problem (and the problem of at least a dozen other regular posters). You have some delusion that you understand the game of basketball on a level that is on par with Calipari. But the simple truth is that you're not competent to spot "coaching deficiencies" at the Div. I level. If you and your ilk could just accept this fact that is so clear to everyone else, it may set you free and let you enjoy the game for what it is - entertainment.

Last edited:
No, it's not for some. I certainly don't make outlandish posts. You could literally post exact quotes from Cal, critiquing the team during a halftime or post game interview, and a few here would call you a basher or fake fan. It's just weird to me. I never take it personal, and my ingore list consists of exactly 0 people.
I have a bunch on my list......if I run out of space can I have some of yours?

Reactions: SemperFiCat
This ain't your daddy's Wildcats. Get with the times.

Reactions: Blue wood
I'm sorry, but cal is wrong here for calling out the fan base in any way.
I am not a proponent of the constant complainers or "negative nellies", but the extreme swings in emotion of the fan base is the result of its extreme passion.
Yell, scream, bitch and whine---- it's all far better than apathy.
Cal took a position at the greatest hoops program on the map --- one under the adoration ....and sometimes intense glare of the most fervent fan base.
There is no separting the good from the bad as it relates to fan enthusiasm ....and what comes with.
With all due respect Cal.... the fans are the reasons this is the greatest job in college sports.
Embrace the good.... roll with the bad. Ya can't have one without the other.
Uh oooookkkkkkk lol cookoo for coco puffs here

Hey you can just stay unhappy I guess. Cal didn't create this system. He recruits the best players he thinks are out there. The NBA made the rules that we have to play by. Cal wishes it was different. He's said it many times. So do I but its' not, so I'm not going to sit around bitching and being miserable when I can enjoy one of the greatest eras in UK history. We have great players that make us contenders for a NC practically every year. That's just the way it is.

I believe your statement gives light to your problem (and the problem of at least a dozen other regular posters). You have some delusion that you understand the game of basketball on a level that is on par with Calipari. But the simple truth is that you're not competent to spot "coaching deficiencies" at the Div. I level. If you and your ilk could just accept this fact that is so clear to everyone else, it may set you free and let you enjoy he game for what it is - entertainment.
But they played high school basketball. Does that count?

I am equal amounts positive and negative. Luckily I don't know any of you personally, I don't know Cal personally, therefore none of this matters. I will continue to rant during a game if I desire, I will continue to be positive during a game or after a game.

I love Kentucky basketball and sometimes it pisses me off. Not sure anymore needs to be said.

I've heard many times Cal call himself out for coaching mistakes...He's human and makes mistakes..UK fans know basketball and if some disagree with some things Cal does that doesn't mean their wrong...Im very happy with Cal and what he's done so far, but i do think he needs another title within 3 more years

Cal needs to take his own advice "coach my team" He seems to be worried about things he cant control..Some fans will complain if we won the title every 3 years..He just needs to focus on the team and beating UCLA

Here's the problem cal has. When he came in he set expectations through the roof. Said his goal was to catch UCLA, said his goal was to have an undefeated season. Now he seems every year to downplay expectations especially this time of year. I mean he said this was his best recruiting class. There is an element of being accountable to those you make statements like that to.

Everyone was on board with his recruiting methodology from day 1 with all at elevated expectations. Now that we see that those expecatations will not be realized well now many question whether it's worth it to not know who we have one year to the next.

There are ALOT of fans who trade some wins in order to have more consistency with our players. Folks may crap on it but greatest memories of my childhood wasn't wins, it was getting to know the players and having a big family, players, fans, coaches, etc. I know Mr. Wildcat from a very young age and when I was around the team I felt like part of the family bc I got to know the guys.

Uk hoops may be the only sports organization in this country that has no idea who will be on the roster from one year to the next. I mean prosports teams don't turnover at the rate we do. Neither do football or baseball programs at the collegiate level due to rules. College hoops sees some turnover but no where near the level of UK under cal. It really is unprecedented
I agree with the turnover. I miss the old days of good 4 year players as well. Those days are gone,maybe forever at UK. I guess we will see if the next NBA cba changes and requires players to stay 2 years like Cal has said he want's.
I like the winning and I like that he set the bar impossible to reach. I like that he came in and said he wanted to catch UCLA. I doubt he will but I also wouldn't bet against it.
Cal has flaws. We all do but my point was we as fans need to enjoy the ride while it lasts. We could very well have another BCG mess after Cal. You just never know how things will play out for sure. I am not saying you do this. But I just don't get the bashing of players or for that matter the coach when the team goes through a bad spell. We have IMO had one bad season under Cal out of 8 seasons the NIT team. Hall had a NIT team maybe 2? Rupp won 4 titles in all the years he was here and I am not bashing Rupp,but let's face it it is much harder to win a title now than it was then. Nearly every D1 team has at least one player who would have been a star on most teams back in the day. Players are just better today than they were 50-60 years ago. That is not to take anything away from the great players of the past. Many of the stars back then would still be star players today. I believe there is just way more good players today.

Appreciate the well thought out post and sentiment. I will now give you another chance. I will never put anyone on ignore, as i would miss too much fun. Honestly, I don't agree with you most of the time, but I do every now and then. in sum, and I know you couldn't care less, I will reopen my opinion center for you, and we will see how it goes from here. I don't mind you voicing opinions on players or coaches, but when you say things like "Monks already gone" because he isn't playing like "you" think he should, well, it makes me 'think' you are just a self-obsorbed crazy person. Like he's not only a 19 year old? Geez, you don't think he wishes he wa playing his best ball. That's the type of stuff that makes people believe you're a basher just to bash. But what do I really know, I'm just an effeminate little bitch.

Well you are a sensitive person and you were ripping me and I fight back; nevertheless, I have a question. Currently there is a thread about Gabriel going that says he's a bad man to man defender, someone else says "I cringe when I see him about to come in", etc. what exactly is the difference between people critiquing him and me critiquing monk saying "his head wasn't in it" and wondering if it is the fact that if we lose he moves on with his life? What is the difference other than him being a 5* stud player??? There is a lot conjecture in that thread about gabriel too. What is the difference?

Listen man I coach men's and women's soccer head coach at the 5A level for 15 yrs. I know better than most when a player is thinking ahead. I've had great players who made big mistakes later come to me and say "coach my head wasn't in it. I was thinking about homecoming, my dad drinking, my spot on the national team". You name it! You're right he is 19 yrs old. I know that 19 year olds can have the chance of a lifetime, blow it and regret it 10 years later bc of their mindset. I'll also say no one coaches a men's and women's varsity team at the 5A level for 15 years wo knowing what they are doing. TBH coaching is coaching it does matter what sport as long as they are teams and not individual sports.

One other thing I can guarantee. A lot of what we say here inartfully at times is also said by cal. If anyone rips more players tail than the fans it's cal. When they were struggling he didn't use sensitive discussion techniques, he ran their ass to the ground and I'm sure questioned their mentality.

Cal want you to keep it real ...until to you keep it real with HIM.

Joking. The team had some problems this year but some of us lose perspective a little quickly. I think a deserves the praise and the criticism. Right about now I feel like he has done a helluva job.

Criticizing coaches is part and parcel with being a UK fan. It happened during the Rupp days, and it will happen to the successors to Cal as well.

Some of the criticism of Cal has been waaaaay over the top though and makes us look like idiots.

I truly feel sorry for any actual UK fan who isn't enjoying the phenomenal run Cal has had us on since he has been here. I get that the trolls are going to be on here whining and stirring the pot, but a fair amount of the miserable posters on here really are UK fans. They just can't seem to appreciate what we have, and want to complain about anything and everything.

That mystifies me.

Cal knew what he signed up for when he came here.

I'm not defending the idiots that want him gone, but hey Cal.....#KentuckyEffect

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT