ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari calls out UK's negative nellies on this board

Piss off dude. I'm not a Calipari fan that doesn't make me less of a U.K. Fan. I hope they win the title just like I did under Gillespie, just like I did under Tubby.

If your not a Cal fan who the hell could you like. I can't imagine the day he leaves, this place may implode because when we don't get a five star for the first time and God forbid a final four every other year. Look out!

If your not a Cal fan who the hell could you like. I can't imagine the day he leaves, this place may implode because when we don't get a five star for the first time and God forbid a final four every other year. Look out!

It's a Superiority Complex. People like to think they're right. So a lot of people want to be in the "I told you so. I was right & you were wrong crowd." They'll continue to be negative because in the end only 1 team can win a championship. Where else can you show everyone you know it all than a message board?

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Trouble is the worst UK fans are always the loudest.Either on the internet or the street they like to yell their hate.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Posted by Deplion: "Some of the criticism of Cal has been waaaaay over the top"

If there's ever been a more ironic post in the history of this board I'd like to see it!

Fans are fans they are the same at any big time BB school , I thank most fans thank Cal is the best..I know I do.

I agree, but this thread was startedto emphasize it is NOT OK to talk about it.
To the Op and others it is crying and whining.
Ironically , they are crying and whining about what they see as crying and whining. Go figure....

Talking about this teams flaws is ok. Totally fine. It is a discussion board. That's not what happens a lot of the time, I think you know this tho

Reactions: CalsKittens
Ok, first off, I'm not arguing that his system doesn't work. I said I don't like him renting jerseys for nine months to guys that have no interest in UK or college. My point is the way he's doing it is not the only way to win and it feels cheap. If all you care about is 6 games in March then you're probably happy. I like watching the kids play for four years and grow as basketball players.

Yeah Anthony Davis, John Wall, Cousins, MKG, Bledsoe, Towns, etc, did not give a crap about UK then or now or about winning college basketball games. Give me an effing break.

And if UK fans want to win big, you have to recruit the best players. The days of winning "big" with 3-4 year guys is done. You want to be in the title hunt 6/8 years then you have to recruit with the big boys and get the studs.

Cal doesn't have a problem. People like YOU do. You and your ilk can't adapt to the times. This ain't your daddy's Wildcats.

No it's the job of the coach to manage expectations. And when you use the word "Ilk" cmon man that's West Virginia talk

"John Holmes once said, ya know, I've got a 12 1/2 member and Nubb16 is the best damn poster Catsillustrated's got"

-John Calapari

Criticizing coaches is part and parcel with being a UK fan. It happened during the Rupp days, and it will happen to the successors to Cal as well.

Some of the criticism of Cal has been waaaaay over the top though and makes us look like idiots.

I truly feel sorry for any actual UK fan who isn't enjoying the phenomenal run Cal has had us on since he has been here. I get that the trolls are going to be on here whining and stirring the pot, but a fair amount of the miserable posters on here really are UK fans. They just can't seem to appreciate what we have, and want to complain about anything and everything.

That mystifies me.

Having experienced the ups and downs of UK basketball since 1965, the Cal years have been a ride of a lifetime. The early-mid 1990's were fun too, but this has been exceptional.

Imagine if there was a message board in the years of "guards don't shoot"?

Reactions: HipTer
Absolutely. I was in the chess club in high school, and a lot of the moves Bobby Fischer made used to drive me crazy. I would scream "wtf are you doing, Bobby" at the television all the time. Of course, he always lucked out and won some way despite his stubbornness.

Thanks. You caused me to spit my coffee laughing.

I agree, but this thread was startedto emphasize it is NOT OK to talk about it.
To the Op and others it is crying and whining.
Ironically , they are crying and whining about what they see as crying and whining. Go figure....
You should go to the Wichita State board for a lesson in how to "talk about it." That forum proves you can discuss a team, it's strengths and weaknesses, wins and losses, and still be supportive.

By comparison, what goes on here half the time is psychotic.

I'm surprised he even brought it up. The negativity on the part of some has been over the top. This same group has been notorious for not being able to take what they dish out. I'm glad Calipari turned the spotlight on them. I'm pretty sure where I'll see the most warts.

You should go to the Wichita State board for a lesson in how to "talk about it." That forum proves you can discuss a team, it's strengths and weaknesses, wins and losses, and still be supportive.

By comparison, what goes on here half the time is psychotic.
It's not just Wichita State. Go to any board of a team that has never won anything and you'll see this. They have set their expectations so low they're happy with just a little success because they've never had it.
Luke 12:48 "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”
Cal was given the keys to the kingdom here. And set expectations through the roof.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I wish there was a way to come up with a count - the number of posters who always complain, downplay any success (or disappear), and in general aren't capable of being happy. How many of them are there? How many of those are trolls, and how many are genuine but miserable "fans"?

I'd wager a bit the number is less than most would think. If we all got together in a large convention center, it would be more clear that you have 5,000 people, and only 124 are chronic complainers. When it's just lines of text on a screen, a few people can create the impression they are everywhere .....

One last thing. It's ironic to me that some characterize these one and done kids as just passing thru and not caring about UK. The one thing I envied about Carolina (the other program at UK's level, IMO) was the sense of family, the way all the players came back to campus and referenced the school and program in interviews, the wearing of UNC shorts under Bulls shorts, etc. Cal has created that here, largely on the backs of the guys here only a year. KAT, AD, Wall, very frequently reference Cal and UK - honestly, I don't remember guys under Joe, Eddie, Rick or Tubby doing much of that, even though they were here 4 years....

Reactions: Wvvrn
Well you are a sensitive person and you were ripping me and I fight back; nevertheless, I have a question. Currently there is a thread about Gabriel going that says he's a bad man to man defender, someone else says "I cringe when I see him about to come in", etc. what exactly is the difference between people critiquing him and me critiquing monk saying "his head wasn't in it" and wondering if it is the fact that if we lose he moves on with his life? What is the difference other than him being a 5* stud player??? There is a lot conjecture in that thread about gabriel too. What is the difference?

Listen man I coach men's and women's soccer head coach at the 5A level for 15 yrs. I know better than most when a player is thinking ahead. I've had great players who made big mistakes later come to me and say "coach my head wasn't in it. I was thinking about homecoming, my dad drinking, my spot on the national team". You name it! You're right he is 19 yrs old. I know that 19 year olds can have the chance of a lifetime, blow it and regret it 10 years later bc of their mindset. I'll also say no one coaches a men's and women's varsity team at the 5A level for 15 years wo knowing what they are doing. TBH coaching is coaching it does matter what sport as long as they are teams and not individual sports.

One other thing I can guarantee. A lot of what we say here inartfully at times is also said by cal. If anyone rips more players tail than the fans it's cal. When they were struggling he didn't use sensitive discussion techniques, he ran their ass to the ground and I'm sure questioned their mentality.

Not sensitive at all. I have no feelings. At least my wife says so.

Reactions: GOING FOR #9
One last thing. It's ironic to me that some characterize these one and done kids as just passing thru and not caring about UK. The one thing I envied about Carolina (the other program at UK's level, IMO) was the sense of family, the way all the players came back to campus and referenced the school and program in interviews, the wearing of UNC shorts under Bulls shorts, etc. Cal has created that here, largely on the backs of the guys here only a year. KAT, AD, Wall, very frequently reference Cal and UK - honestly, I don't remember guys under Joe, Eddie, Rick or Tubby doing much of that, even though they were here 4 years....

Anthony Davis wore his UK uniform into the arena in the game against Minnesota

C7UtvvNV4AQV0qk.jpg:large

I haven't complained any more than Cal has.

Rupp had a meeting with Cawood because he would tell the fans on the radio when they were stinking up the place.

It's sports and fan bases. Nothing new at all and if you think our fan base is the worst you are dead wrong...they are all the same.

It's obvious that those complaining in this thread didn't listen to what Cal said. He didn't call out the fanbase. He was speaking to the minority of UK fans that had given up on this team. The same fans that show up to complain after a loss and disappear after a win. You know who you are.
And... he says something silmilar almost every year. He likes something he says and sticks with it... tweak, robots, freshman, brothers keeper and on and on.
It's Cal. I love him as our coach. But defenitly hate that part.

You make great points.
Message boards are great at times, but fans get emotional during games and express those emotions immediately for a lot of people to read.
If they would just watch the games, and wait a couple of hours before getting back on here, I think things wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Just my thought.
Agree... but some want to be "I told you so" guy.

Sometimes the game threads become a bit ridiculous. Myself I would be embarrassed if I said some of the stuff that our fans say during games about the players and coach. Even in the heat of the moment of the game some things don't need to be said
I am not sure they are fans.

ADVERTISEMENT