ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari calls out UK's negative nellies on this board

Giv'em hell, Cal!
Just to be fair, there wasn't anyone as hard on them as he was... I seen a lot of improvement now, than earlier in the year... Defense is one of those changes... We should know as fans that he gets all his teams ready come March, but I think some fans helped him remember...

Posted by Deplion: "Some of the criticism of Cal has been waaaaay over the top"

If there's ever been a more ironic post in the history of this board I'd like to see it!
I didn't hide the fact that I wasn't a Tubby fan and felt like he wasn't the best fit for us, but I always respected him.

Reactions: awf
There are 4 guys in this thread that I have on ignore. Every single one of them is getting exceptionally defensive.

What a shock.

Reactions: Hoskins21
Didn't know Bankers Life Fieldhouse could hold that many complainers.
Pretty sure Fedex Forum will be full of complainers this weekend too.

Reactions: Montana81
Lol, the haters are mad because Coach Cal called them out.

It's fun to watch them......
63655023.jpg

I do not hate CAL! He is like a congressman, or senator. Lord knows I hope with all my BLUE BLUE HEART the CAT'S beat UCLA the next game, because I can hear it now, the game started to LATE! They wait around all day with nothing to do, could not get into the game because it's bed time , who plays that late, and so on!!! I'm like another poster, he can bash me all he want's, and so can everyone who want's, but until this way of doing thing's bring's forth #9, oh well!! Everything else, win's, final four's, draft pick's do not mean NOTHING WITHOUT MORE TITLE'S THAN ONE A DECADE!! i know most are going to bash, but I can't help the way my FANATICAL BIG BLUE HEART FEEL'S..... :ear: I have been a CAT FANATIC FOR 51 YEAR'S I REMEMBER!!! [thumb2] I'M SURE I'VE BEEN A UK FAN BEFORE COACH HAS...... SORRY FOR THE RANT, BUT NOT REALLY. :angry:

Reactions: Montana81
His job is to win basketball games, not pacify knee jerk fans who fly off the handle when everything doesn't go their way.

Winning basketball games cures all. But any coach that coaches in organizations and programs like Yankees, Stl cards, Packers, steelers, lakers, celtics, Kentucky, Alabama etc will absolutely pacify fans and it's absolutely a requirement if you want to work for those places. No matter how harsh, they are the top shelf for a reason. Fans won't change.

Winning basketball games cures all. But any coach that coaches in organizations and programs like Yankees, Stl cards, Packers, steelers, lakers, celtics, Kentucky, Alabama etc will absolutely pacify fans and it's absolutely a requirement if you want to work for those places. No matter how harsh, they are the top shelf for a reason. Fans won't change.

I think Cal did pacify the MAJORITY of fans by calling out the few butt hurt ones.

[
#1 he did not even come close to mentioning RR as the OPs title suggested so those of you who took it personal it's on you.
#2 it's OK to not be pleased by the level of play but some fans on here, the call in shows and on other venues did go over the top and literally gave up on this team and bashed the players and coaches. Saying Monk was gone to the NBA already was not a critique it was a stupid judgmental statement that was proven absolutely wrong.

#3 Big difference from this team has flaws and weaknesses versus they have "no heart" which they proved time and again they do.

#4 if the shoe Cal put out there fits wear it.... if it doesn't why worry about what he said.

I think Cal did pacify the MAJORITY of fans by calling out the few butt hurt ones.

Exactly my point. Everyone hears a great orator the way they want. But Cal was harsher on this team than the fans I'd guarantee that. Hell half of this board alone was 100% positive through all. What more of a giant fanbase do people want?

When Cal is critical of the players getting on to them for not rebounding, playing D, hustling etc etc Is he not doing the same thing as us fans are? Voicing displeasure about what you see is wrong and wanting it corrected??

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I'm sure the most complaining and griping going on was when we lost to UT and KU and continued to play uninspired ball but pulling out some squeakers. With all the griping the cats picked it up a notch and started playing harder on both ends of the court.
Seems to me their is a correlation between expectations and results. If it wasn't for these fans we would be just like LSU or Ole Miss.

No it's the job of the coach to manage expectations. And when you use the word "Ilk" cmon man that's West Virginia talk
If you're a head soccer coach at the 5A level for 15 years as you claim then I feel sorry for your players. Heaven forbid they make a mistake or you"ll be on a soccer messageboard starting a thread about them claiming they've checked out.

Ummm..Coach Cal, you're the one that came here talking about passing UCLA on the all time National Titles list, you're the one that came here talking about getting number 1 seeds year after year, you were the one talking about Final 4s and National Titles. I mean, you talk like that, you can damn well expect our fans to get pissed off losing to UCLA and Kansas back to back years..or going into the NCAA Tournament as 4 seeds and an 8 seed just as many times as we have went in as a 1 seed..or when we've been beaten when we were the best and most talented team out of the Final 4 or Final 2 and lose because of something as simple as not making free throws..or because you wanted to play stall ball the last 5 minutes of the game vs. Wisconsin and then proceeded to get knocked out by sorry ass Indiana the next season because your team didn't play a lick of defense the entire season. People saw that shit happening again this season with the team at 18-5 and had reason to be pissed/letdown/disappointed and such. Real UK fans want the biggest goal to be National Titles..not record NBA Draft nights.

And BTW, UK is in the Sweet 16..don't get me wrong, that's awesome and a great accomplishment..but it's still not the goal.

Ummm..Coach Cal, you're the one that came here talking about passing UCLA on the all time National Titles list, you're the one that came here talking about getting number 1 seeds year after year, you were the one talking about Final 4s and National Titles. I mean, you talk like that, you can damn well expect our fans to get pissed off losing to UCLA and Kansas back to back years..or going into the NCAA Tournament as 4 seeds and an 8 seed just as many times as we have went in as a 1 seed..or when we've been beaten when we were the best and most talented team out of the Final 4 or Final 2 and lose because of something as simple ad not making free throws..or because you wanted to play stall ball the last 5 minutes of the game vs. Wisconsin and then proceeded to get knocked out by sorry ass Indiana the next season because your team didn't play a lick of defense the entire season. People saw that shit happening again this season with the team at 18-5 and had reason to be pissed/letdown/disappointed and such. Real UK fans want the biggest goal to be National Titles..not record NBA Draft nights.

And BTW, UK is in the Sweet 16..don't get me wrong, that's awesome and a great accomplishment..but it's still not the goal.
A tad bit defensive aren't we?

Nope..not at all. Are you ?
I wasn't the one who wrote a diatribe. You are defensive and it's funny as hell. Cal makes one innocuous comment and y'all come out of the woodwork pitchforks a blazin'. Quite comical to say the least.

If we lose Friday, are you satisfied with that?
Is this your threshold of success?
I'm never satisfied or happy after a loss. Especially if it's the last game of the season.

But I'm smart enough to realize that we have EIGHT NC in over 100 years of play. Four of them in the 50's and 50's.

So, I've been disappointed a lot. That doesn't mean we didn't have a great season. 30+ wins is a successful season.

I like it.

Because the ones who get offended are the ones he's talking to.

This is the best and worst fanbase in college basketball. The immense, nationwide support is unreal. The outlandish expectations and constant handwringing over margin of victory is unreal in a bad way.

Best and Worst! Nicely done.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
This is how I view Calipari.
Is he perfect? No, no one is.
Is he the perfect fit for UK? Yes, IMO he is.
It takes a special personality to deal with all the various personalities that make up BBN.
That's how I see it.
But some people might say I'm an :alien: so...

A UK fan who doesn't like Cal is either someone who lives in the past (IU needs fans) or a moron.

Sorry. It had to be said.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
I wasn't the one who wrote a diatribe. You are defensive and it's funny as hell. Cal makes one innocuous comment and y'all come out of the woodwork pitchforks a blazin'. Quite comical to say the least.

Okay..but you are the one defending Coach Cal and being a pissed off little douche because some don't like what Coach Cal said and are letting it be known. You are being the definition of defensive..I just spoke the truth more than anything, pal.

Cal your my number 1 coach and the team will always be my number 1 team good or bad. You are correct in calling out some of our fair weather fans.

Okay..but you are the one defending Coach Cal and being a pissed off little douche because some don't like what Coach Cal said and are letting it be known. You are being the definition of defensive..I just spoke the truth more than anything, pal.
Your Sir are a Fair Weather Fan that just likes to complain about something all of the time. Go away please just go away and leave the loyal and good fans alone. You stop trying to start fights on this board or or or or I'll kick myself until you hurt.

Your Sir are a Fair Weather Fan that just likes to complain about something all of the time. Go away please just go away and leave the loyal and good fans alone. You stop trying to start fights on this board or or or or I'll kick myself until you hurt.

Not sure if serious. You made me laugh my ass off though. :joy:

It's not just Wichita State. Go to any board of a team that has never won anything and you'll see this. They have set their expectations so low they're happy with just a little success because they've never had it.
Luke 12:48 "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”
Cal was given the keys to the kingdom here. And set expectations through the roof.
Gold Standard of College BB...we don't play college basketball...we are college bb...300k for madness...we don't move the needle, we are the needle.

this is a recruiting tool. shows future players that he has their back even when the fans have crazy demands and out of this world expectations.

Here's my philosophy, for what it's worth: No coach is perfect. That should be obvious. So, if you're inclined, there are always things, issues, problems, losses to talk about or even complain about. A kid that shouldn't have been recruited. Another that should have been. A bad substitution. A time out not taken at a critical time. The failure to develop a certain kid properly. The stubbornness about playing zone. We could do this all day.

But - but - here's the thing. This coach has won over 82% of his games. Better than Rupp, Pitino, anyone else in the illustrious history of this place. He is 25-5 in the NCAAT, with four final fours, and two title game appearances along with the '12 championship. He owns outright most of our rivals, including Pitino and Louisville. Since he came, aside from the shocking-if-you-were-really-seeing-it-objectively on-court results, Cal has turned our program into The Glamour Program in all of college hoops. Sometimes it seems ESPN and the NBA draft are nothing more than UK Infomercials.

So, in the face of all that, go ahead and complain if you wish. As for me and my house, we regard any complaints, real or imagined, legit or laughable, as to be so wrong-headed and unappreciative as to be shameful. If you find a soulmate, and she happens to be a bikini-model who serves at the soup-kitchen, then yes, by all means, you can complain about that mole on the inside of her elbow. And you can protest "no one is perfect! it's obvious she has a mole, and I don't like it! Do you expect me to suffer this indignity in silence?!" And the rest of us can eye-roll.......

this is a recruiting tool. shows future players that he has their back even when the fans have crazy demands and out of this world expectations.
So you don't think Cal has created a big part of this with all the braggadocious attitude and then not backing it up like a previous poster stated?

I saw plenty of people through the year give up on the team. Plenty of comments about how we just don't have it, this team can't win a title, they're not competitors, they don't care(one the other day during the Wichita game about Monk having already checked out), the players and Cal don't even care if we win as long as they get drafted. It's been pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT