ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari calls out UK's negative nellies on this board

We are the greatest because of the passion of our fans. I know there's nut jobs in every fanbase. But some of the people who never see anything wrong are just as bad or worse than the people complaining.
Then they start thread after thread about how bad some are for complaining. It's a never ending cycle. Pot meet kettle.

What he said is correct and people get called out on this board for it every year too. To paraphrase he said:

Every year ppl give up on our team early in the year and every year it's the same thing, the team comes together at the end of the year. Yet it happens every year. With a young team it's a process, the kids are learning through out the year, so of they aren't playing well in December or Jan that means nothing in the process. We are the only school that plays to go undefeated, and we are the only one that tries to do it. It hasn't been done in 41 years...over 300 teams play every single year and we are the only one that tries to do it. So when ppl talk about oh this team just does t have it, it might be good to shake that guys shoulder and say this always happens bedore they jump on the bandwagon at the end of the year and act like they knew the process the whole time.

Not like he's lying or whining. That pretty much sums this board up to a T.

Reactions: Cindog28
Maybe it's just me, but the board has gotten pretty sensitive this season. It's literally a place to discuss Kentucky basketball, but if you point out that we struggle against a Mizzou, or don't swear that Monk is the GOAT, you're bashed and called a fake fan. Then those folks start a thread so they can pat each other on the back for having the bluest of glasses.

I like it.

Because the ones who get offended are the ones he's talking to.

This is the best and worst fanbase in college basketball. The immense, nationwide support is unreal. The outlandish expectations and constant handwringing over margin of victory is unreal in a bad way.

Where has he been for the last 8 years?

We complain all year every year, and he gets paid top dollar because of it. Hopefully they'll win it all and that will buy him about 7-8 months of goodwill.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Yep. Everything about this year has been excellent and gone perfectly according to plan.
Looks pretty good so far. Only one bad loss. 4 of 5 teams we lost to made the tournament and 3 are in the sweet 16. We lost 3 games in because of injury/illness.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Yeah I have let those fans bug me too much. I've fought with them then decided to just put them on ignore. Some of those fans hate me too so I guess it goes both ways. Being called a sunshine pumper which isn't true. I just fight pessimistic animosity and probably always will. I have a job in which such thinking will just get you killed. Have had jobs all my life in which a positive attitude takes you a long ways.

Reactions: 78Gooses
Cal LOVES to prove people wrong. He LIVES for it and THRIVES on it!! Then he instills it in our players, this is why we are the #BBN!! I LOVE IT!!

Whether it's coaches, the media, opposing fans, EVEN our negative fans. It's what inspires him to work extra hard EVERY DAY to make UK Basketball the "GOLD STANDARD" of college basketball!!!

There is a difference in being overly critical and just "Negative Nellies". Heck, most of the complaints voiced here MIRROR those of Coach Cal. But those posters and fans that are ready to just hammer him EVERY time we don't win by a certain amount, play zone or play certain players, are the TARGET of Cal's shot tonight.

Last edited:
Yep.

And they'll bitch that the new coach isn't as good as Cal starting with the first loss of the first year.
Had a conversation about that last night with a co-worker. I almost feel sorry for whoever takes the seat after Cal. Let's face it, we are spoiled!!! No one has really had the success overall like we've had, and no where near the excitement of watching future NBA MVP's every year. For the most part our unrealistic expectations have been met, somewhat. I don't think we'll see another guy like Cal in the NCAA for a while, and our BAR has been raised so high, I almost think it sets the next guy up for failure. I hope this isn't the case, but I guess only time will tell. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MegaBlue05
This was going on when Rupp was coach. The UK fan base is what it is. Some are Bipolar and Schizophrenic. Some aren't.

UK is the winningest college basketball program in history so does all of this stuff really matter? Just keep winning.

ADVERTISEMENT