ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari calls out UK's negative nellies on this board

how many years in Kentucky Basketball History did everything go perfect? I'd say 31-5 in the Sweet 16 puts this season in the top percentile. Too many entitled fans that think every game should be a blow out win executed to perfection .

The point was, there's been a few hiccups along the road (as there are every year), and a it's ok to talk about it.

Reactions: GOING FOR #9
The point was, there's been a few hiccups along the road (as there are every year), and a it's ok to talk about it.

I agree, but this thread was startedto emphasize it is NOT OK to talk about it.
To the Op and others it is crying and whining.
Ironically , they are crying and whining about what they see as crying and whining. Go figure....

This thread was a lie starting with its title. Fake news.

If we lose Friday, are you satisfied with that?
Is this your threshold of success?
Getting to the Sweet Sixteen with this team has definitely satisfied me.

2 months ago I thought this team might totally crash and burn.

Friday I get to go to Memphis.

I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a UK fan can feel, a UK fan at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.
I hope the Cat's win both games. I hope to see other Cat fans and shake their hands.
I hope the the Arena is as UK Blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

I agree,criticism is fine,but like another poster said,I've seen psts calling the players pieces of shit trash,Calipari can't coach and they'd rather have ______ Fillin the blank ,even though Calipari's record vs them is much better. I've been watching UK Basketball since the late 1950's this isn't the 1st year UK lost to Tennessee,in fact Tennessee has beat UK more than any other team,ever.

Reactions: floatingyou
So, who wouldn't you have recruited? You all always say you don't like oad but never answer that question. Smh

You've never asked me that question. I would recruit 3-4 year players. There's plenty of them. Your side of the argument likes to pretend you get either John Wall or Sheray Thomas and there's no in between. Two of UKs most meaningful players right now are Dom Hawkins and Derek Willis. Why did we only recruit like that for 1 out of every four years? I'd recruit 2-3'guys like that every year and 1, 2 at the most elite prospects.

I think he's talking about you personally. Along with Zay and a couple of others.

I don't know why you're so intrigued by me. You have a personal problem with me and you don't know me. You read my negative posts but disregard the 5 other positive posts i make to defend hump or briscoe. Or the posts I make that says we have a great chance. I notice when I post something positive no one replies. It's always been that way on the internet, but if I post something critical, ah now I'm a "terrible fan" a "hater", don't know what I'm talking about, etc. if you don't like the critiques then don't reply they will resolve of their own volition. If you think certain fans are negative well that's something you have to deal with individually.

There are multiple standards for our fans. It's ok for instance to rip a bench player but a 1 and done ahhh leave them alone. I've been critical of Malik monk and his mindset all season. He is hit or miss but I don't endlessly bag on him the way some have with hump for instance. Or the masses who say "wtf has happened to Gabriel". It seems like it's ok with players who aren't as important to the team. I mean there was a thread on here mocking Gabriel for his dong pics and a lot of the mockers were the same people who say "leave monk alone", you BWO74 choose what you want to see and leave everything else out. Maybe you should just put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.

Reactions: bigbluelou
I agree,criticism is fine,but like another poster said,I've seen psts calling the players pieces of shit trash,Calipari can't coach and they'd rather have ______ Fillin the blank ,even though Calipari's record vs them is much better. I've been watching UK Basketball since the late 1950's this isn't the 1st year UK lost to Tennessee,in fact Tennessee has beat UK more than any other team,ever.

That is not the definition of a Negative Nellie to me.
A troll shitbag trashes the players and wants Cal fired...

Reactions: Blueaz
I agree, but this thread was startedto emphasize it is NOT OK to talk about it.
To the Op and others it is crying and whining.
Ironically , they are crying and whining about what they see as crying and whining. Go figure....

The Bitching and Whining that goes on in the first half of 40 minute games is pretty ridiculous at times,especially when the Cats come back to win by double digits more often than not,some people need to take meds or get psychiatric help.

If we lose Friday, are you satisfied with that?
Is this your threshold of success?
Will I be satisfied with losing? That's a pretty ignorant question. I don't think I've ever met someone satisfied with losing. I will view the season as a good one. We will be 31-6 for Christ sake. We got to see some incredible games this year. We won far more than we lost, and more than most programs will ever win in a season. We had a couple games I would have loved to of win, but we needed to learn and grow first. 3 of the five teams we lost to are in the sweet sixteen. We played the game of the year against UNC and won. Our program is the most prominent it's probably ever been. No reason to consider that anything but a really good season. If you don't then you have very unreal expectations. And that's your problem, no one else's. Did you not want to win our conference regular season and championship? Do you not want to be in the sweet 16 with a solid chance of going further?

Reactions: southalcat
I don't know why you're so intrigued by me. You have a personal problem with me and you don't know me. You read my negative posts but disregard the 5 other positive posts i make to defend hump or briscoe. Or the posts I make that says we have a great chance. I notice when I post something positive no one replies. It's always been that way on the internet, but if I post something critical, ah now I'm a "terrible fan" a "hater", don't know what I'm talking about, etc. if you don't like the critiques then don't reply they will resolve of their own volition. If you think certain fans are negative well that's something you have to deal with individually.

There are multiple standards for our fans. It's ok for instance to rip a bench player but a 1 and done ahhh leave them alone. I've been critical of Malik monk and his mindset all season. He is hit or miss but I don't endlessly bag on him the way some have with hump for instance. Or the masses who say "wtf has happened to Gabriel". It seems like it's ok with players who aren't as important to the team. I mean there was a thread on here mocking Gabriel for his dong pics and a lot of the mockers were the same people who say "leave monk alone", you BWO74 choose what you want to see and leave everything else out. Maybe you should just put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.

Your problem is that you think some of these guys can logically discern the differences.
You are automatically placed in a certain group if you bring up ANY concerns. You know it.

Reactions: GOING FOR #9
The Bitching and Whining that goes on in the first half of 40 minute games is pretty ridiculous at times,especially when the Cats come back to win by double digits more often than not,some people need to take meds or get psychiatric help.
Quit.
Fans get emotional during games and say all kinds of things they don't really mean.
It's probably just nervous energy. Nothing new at all, but now everyone has social media to express their nervous, emotional energy. It's nothing more than that.

I'm guessing, 90% of the people that post crazy chit during the game are laughing about it a few hours later.

Now, the other 10% are just idiots, but the world population is full of idiots.

How many negative nellies said this is a sweet sixteen team? I recall quite a few. There's no point in him saying these things until we advance farther than this.
Agreed. The negative fan thing is way the hell blown out of proportion. Best case scenario is this a really stupid thing for him to latch on to. Worst case scenario is he loses to UCLA and this comes back to bite him on the ass.

Really wish Cal didn't go here because only harmful things can come from it. Even the worst critic thought we would get to the sweet 16. Still a bad idea if Cal said this after winning a title but at least he would be playing with house money at that point.

Hey,there is another wildcat team you can pull for that uses a system you may like. Villanova would love to have ya

Piss off dude. I'm not a Calipari fan that doesn't make me less of a U.K. Fan. I hope they win the title just like I did under Gillespie, just like I did under Tubby.

Hey,there is another wildcat team you can pull for that uses a system you may like. Villanova would love to have ya

See what you did is uncalled for and IMO WORSE than someone who criticize a coach or player?? Why ?? Bc likely BoNicholas was a fan likely before cal and these players and will be a fan when they are all gone. To tell a fellow fan to "go root" for another team is the worst thing you could say. Most UK fans have been fans their entire lives and their family for generations. There aren't that many bandwagon fans for uk

Will I be satisfied with losing? That's a pretty ignorant question. I don't think I've ever met someone satisfied with losing. I will view the season as a good one. We will be 31-6 for Christ sake. We got to see some incredible games this year. We won far more than we lost, and more than most programs will ever win in a season. We had a couple games I would have loved to of win, but we needed to learn and grow first. 3 of the five teams we lost to are in the sweet sixteen. We played the game of the year against UNC and won. Our program is the most prominent it's probably ever been. No reason to consider that anything but a really good season. If you don't then you have very unreal expectations. And that's your problem, no one else's. Did you not want to win our conference regular season and championship? Do you not want to be in the sweet 16 with a solid chance of going further?

I agree with everything you said. Your previous post makes it sound like if we lose, then oh well.
It's not the end all be all but I will question why we lost and possibly be upset about it because I believe things could have been done better and I want to say so.
Others don't want to hear it. Constant struggle here for some reason...

Cal used to have a guy that would read Memphis message boards to keep a vibe of the fan base. I was told that by someone who would get me into closed practices. I believe him 100%.

I haven't been high on this team, but I think some of it could have been the negative image of our conference and the fact that personally, it's not a very fun team to watch. Not like we've had anyway.

I think a sweet 16 is a good spot for this team plus winning the sec title helps. It's been a decently successful season. I'm not sure we can make it through the south but am more than happy to miss the boat this year on predictions.

This is one of if not the biggest fan bases in all of sport. We are right there with Bama Football. Packers,Cowboys,Steelers, Yankees,etc.
More fans more crazy complainers. Just a fact of life.
I don't like how we play sometimes but I can't and I won't call out 18-19 year old kids. It is just stupid. Briscoe has so much hate from fans it is unreal. He is a 19 year old kid.
Does he always play well? of course not. But when I look at him I see a kid who is playing hard all the time. Playing hard don't always mean he plays well but he is out there busting it.
It is also hard to bash a coach who has done what Cal has done here. If social media and the like was out 60 years ago Rupp I am sure would have left way before he did.
No coach or team is gonna win every game or win a championship every year.
Cal's teams at least most of them start season out hot. Reason being coaches have no film on a complete new team like we have every year. They have player film from high school but that don't tell a coach how they will play as a team. So we start hot. Then by late Dec/early Jan. there is film for coaches to see and good coaches stop or slow down the things we do well.
Then Cal has to reboot/breakdown and start over. So in mean time we get hit with a few loses. Every team we lost to sans Tenn made the tournamnet. By March we are almost always a tough out and we are 3 out of every 4 years at least a huge threat to win it all.
How many programs can say that? 3 or 4 other programs at best. IMO as a fan that is all you can ask for. Cal will not be here forever. Enjoy the ride. Because we may have to burn through 2-3 more coaches after Cal to find one that is on his level. They don't grow on trees.

I just see this as being real simple. We went from "20 win Tubby" to "30 win Cal" and this old man is happy as hell. Go Cats!!!!!! You win 30 every year and there will be National Championships along the way.

Reactions: Bluest Member
You've never asked me that question. I would recruit 3-4 year players. There's plenty of them. Your side of the argument likes to pretend you get either John Wall or Sheray Thomas and there's no in between. Two of UKs most meaningful players right now are Dom Hawkins and Derek Willis. Why did we only recruit like that for 1 out of every four years? I'd recruit 2-3'guys like that every year and 1, 2 at the most elite prospects.
And you'd be fired after 2 years. Our team averages 85 pts per game and Monk, Fox and Bam get 50 of them while seniors Dom and Willis get 11.4 combined. They're good role players but getting 2-3 of them a year would put us back in the Tubby/Billy G talent era. No thanks. I'll take Cal and count my blessings that your not running the show.

And you'd be fired after 2 years. Our team averages 85 pts per game and Monk, Fox and Bam get 50 of them while seniors Dom and Willis get 11.4 combined. They're good role players but getting 2-3 of them a year would put us back in the Tubby/Billy G talent era. No thanks. I'll take Cal and count my blessings that your not running the show.

Believe what you want. KU and UNC seem to be doing fine.

I've seen posters spend a lot of energy defending their right to say anything they want about our student athletes. About their character, performance, effort, heart, etc. As if they know them personally and can read their minds, even know what's in their hearts. Real fans don't want to share a foxhole with someone who turns on their own players. Anyone can point at flaws or make accusations. But that's not what being a fan is about.

It's obvious that those complaining in this thread didn't listen to what Cal said. He didn't call out the fanbase. He was speaking to the minority of UK fans that had given up on this team. The same fans that show up to complain after a loss and disappear after a win. You know who you are.

This is one of if not the biggest fan bases in all of sport. We are right there with Bama Football. Packers,Cowboys,Steelers, Yankees,etc.
More fans more crazy complainers. Just a fact of life.
I don't like how we play sometimes but I can't and I won't call out 18-19 year old kids. It is just stupid. Briscoe has so much hate from fans it is unreal. He is a 19 year old kid.
Does he always play well? of course not. But when I look at him I see a kid who is playing hard all the time. Playing hard don't always mean he plays well but he is out there busting it.
It is also hard to bash a coach who has done what Cal has done here. If social media and the like was out 60 years ago Rupp I am sure would have left way before he did.
No coach or team is gonna win every game or win a championship every year.
Cal's teams at least most of them start season out hot. Reason being coaches have no film on a complete new team like we have every year. They have player film from high school but that don't tell a coach how they will play as a team. So we start hot. Then by late Dec/early Jan. there is film for coaches to see and good coaches stop or slow down the things we do well.
Then Cal has to reboot/breakdown and start over. So in mean time we get hit with a few loses. Every team we lost to sans Tenn made the tournamnet. By March we are almost always a tough out and we are 3 out of every 4 years at least a huge threat to win it all.
How many programs can say that? 3 or 4 other programs at beat. IMO as a fan that is all you can ask for. Cal will not be here forever. Enjoy the ride. Because we may have to burn through 2-3 more coaches after Cal to find one that is on his level. They don't grow on trees.
You make great points.
Message boards are great at times, but fans get emotional during games and express those emotions immediately for a lot of people to read.
If they would just watch the games, and wait a couple of hours before getting back on here, I think things wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Just my thought.

I agree with everything you said. Your previous post makes it sound like if we lose, then oh well.
It's not the end all be all but I will question why we lost and possibly be upset about it because I believe things could have been done better and I want to say so.
Others don't want to hear it. Constant struggle here for some reason...
I hate losing and will be depressed for at least a day if it happens, but I'm not going to say it was a bad season just because we don't win it all. If that was the case then UK basketball has a lot more bad than good in it's history. Technically the twins first year was a horrible season, but we all remember it as an awesome season because of that tournament run.
I don't think many people on here actually have an issue with having a logical, sensible discussion about all aspects, good and bad, of this team. It's the constant negativity and bashing that drives people crazy. We have a lot of "fans" here that only comment on the nagstive and never mention the really positive. They never have any facts or support to back up a lot of their claims and then totally disregard logic or facts presented to them because it doesn't fit their agenda/narrative. There may be a handful that are exact opposites and you can only say positive and totally overlook the negative. However, there is a huge difference in saying we had a bad game, or struggled to score or something vs. saying so and so is the worst ever and should leave or Cal sucks and so forth. It just gets out of control at times.

ADVERTISEMENT