ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Will Win Big Next Year at Ark

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
I’m guessing Cal will have a very good year next year at Ark for a couple reasons.

1) The change of school is forcing him to get more seasoned players. Z just committed and Wagner will be spaced out a few days behind him. (I’m guessing Z already had chicken NIL $ in his account.)

2) I don’t think he’ll get all his freshmen, forcing him to hit the portal for players who will fill safer coming to Ark knowing top freshmen aren’t getting the spotlight.

3) He’ll do everything in his power to get DJ & Z into the league. They can’t return another year and jam up key starting spots.

Cal had to keep Darius Miller when he got to UK, and it was key to him winning in ‘12. (Along with NBA strike!)

Cal’s best year at Ark will be next year, then it will be back to a revolving door of freshmen who win the preseason hype.

I appreciate what Cal did for UK. He was perfect following the BCG debacle and the Tubby decline.

However, I am happy to see what the next few years look like at UK. We will not have the most players in McD AA game, NBA AS game, or NBA draft night. I do think we have a chance for a special NCAA run, not because of Pope’s tourn experience. But, I do think MP will construct a title contending roster by year 2 or 3!

Cal may win big next year. But, I drank the UK cool aid regarding the future of our basketball program!!!

Last edited:
I’m guessing Cal will have a very good year next year at Ark for a couple reasons.

1) The change of school is forcing him to get more seasoned players. Z just committed and Wagner will be spaced out a few days behind him. (I’m guessing Z already had chicken NIL $ in his account.)

2) I don’t think he’ll get all his freshmen, forcing him to hit the portal for players who will fill safer coming to Ark knowing top freshmen aren’t getting the spotlight.

3) He’ll do everything in his power to get DJ & Z into the league. They can’t return another year and jam up key starting spots.

Cal had to keep Darius Miller when he got to UK, and it was key to him winning in ‘12. (Along with NBA strike!)

Cal’s best year at Ark will be next year, then it will be back to a revolving door of freshmen who win the preseason hype.

I appreciate what Cal did for UK. He was perfect following the BCG debacle and the Tubby decline.

However, I am happy to see what the next few years look like at UK. We will not have the most players in McD AA game, NBA AS game, or NBA draft night. I do think we have a chance for a special NCAA run, not because of Pope’s tourn experience. But, I do think MP will construct a title contending roster by year 2 or 3!

Cal will win big next year, but I drank the cool aid regarding the future of UK basketball!
🤣🤣🤣🤣 What first round team will knock him out in the SEC and NCAA….. He still can’t coach and hasn’t been able to for 15 years and that will continue next year when he rolls the balls out for Arkansas . There isn’t no Anthony Davis walking through that door….

🤣🤣🤣🤣 What first round team will knock him out in the SEC and NCAA….. He still can’t coach and hasn’t been able to for 15 years and that will continue next year when he rolls the balls out for Arkansas . There isn’t no Anthony Davis walking through that door….
My OP is that the situation will force him to have his most experienced roster next year just as his first few years at UK.

His roster will soon become a revolving door of freshmen again, just like it did hear. His best years will be when he has a more balanced roster. I’m just guessing that’s next year.

He's going to have the roster that we all said wasn't going to win a thing here at UK. The change of scenery might light a fire for him but it won't make him a solid coach out of nowhere.
I’m guessing he doesn’t get that complete roster which will force him to some more experienced players.

It’ll be interesting to see what JQ & BF do.

Oh I'll take that bet spanky

No SEC reg season title
No SEC tourney title
Won't get them to the Elite 8 like Musselman did

Reactions: ukfan041
My OP is that the situation will force him to have his most experienced roster next year just as his first few years at UK.

His roster will soon become a revolving door of freshmen again, just like it did hear. His best years will be when he has a more balanced roster. I’m just guessing that’s next year.
To be honest why do any of us even give a $hit ? I don’t care what Cal and his new team does.

F—k Cal! He finally found some motivation after several years of sub mediocre results. I don’t care how well he does in the regular season, he’s not winning a championship and he’s probably not even getting past the first weekend. The fat pos left, let him rot down In arky.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think he'll do well at Arkansas. Lower expectations, good fanbase, NIL, klutch/WWW connections, and it'll be a fresh start for him. I wish Cal the best except for when they play UK.

Reactions: sk73 and WildcatNC
Funny (even though I'm upset) that had he stayed here another year he would have pushed everyone of them to the NBA or gleague, but he goes to Arky and decides that experience is important. He's only taking those guys so that he wouldn't be shown up here at UK when they're actually running an offense and defense.

Could be a very rough year, perhaps better than expected, but hard to speculate until we see what kind of roster we actually have.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think he'll do well at Arkansas. Lower expectations, good fanbase, NIL, klutch/WWW connections, and it'll be a fresh start for him. I wish Cal the best except for when they play UK.
Bite Me Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

Wounded pride right now. You can generally maintain an emotion for about two months if you're just maintaining it out of willpower. Cal working hard enough to win for nine straight months after that? Call me when it happens.

Reactions: ukfan041
Do you think Cal will change in any way what has been his MO for the past 7 or 8 years? He will have the same dysfunctional lineups, mysterious injuries and will continue to crap down his leg in tight games. That’s who he is now.

My original thought was he was going to be reenergized, get a mostly new staff, switch up his style, and try to prove to everyone he still has it. Then I read he was taking all the turds on the staff to Arkansas and it's going to be business as usual down there. He already looks tired of everyone in the videos.

Cal still has to coach whoever he gets. There is a reason he is called CCC.

He probably will be ok at Arkansas, but Darius Miller ain't walking through the door at hog heaven, and his current roster is empty expect for those that follow him there.

Add to that the fact that I don't think many vets will line up to join his roster. Those guys only have a year or so to make the pros. Word is out about Cal and those dudes don't want to play second fiddle on their last dance.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
We were old 22-23, and it was worst of the last 3.

Oscar, Antonio, CJ Frederick, Wheeler, Toppin, Ware. Had motivation to avenge ST Peters. What did it get him/us?

He has to have overwhelming talent, and he's not going to have that. Doubt he replaces Reed, Antonio, and Rob. Loses Welch. They will struggle to make the tournament.

Cal still has to teach the plays and run the team. He’ll string Hog fans along for 3-4 years with empty promises and excuses before they start calling him out.

Cal will never have a recruit that is willing to put in the work necessary to develop.

They will develop once they get into the NBA and their paycheck and peer pressure *forces* them to develop.

But Cal ball is an easy place to spend a year while you wait for the NBA to call. If Cal starts working players he'll lose his recruiting edge.

Nobody signs on with Cal to get worked. Cal doesn't develop players. He just gives them a place to hang out for a year. Sometimes he doesn't ever require that they play--as with the situation with Shaedon Sharpe.

Cal ball will lay a big egg fast at Arkansas.

Cal will win big next year, but I drank the cool aid regarding the future of UK basketball!
Cal will win 20 games give or take a couple, but unless Cal changes I don't think he will get out of the sweet 16 barring a really great draw in the brackets. We had Elite 8 talent this year, but look what we got.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Z can't make domestic nil can he?

The irony is losing some of these guys will actually help him because he won't try to play everyone like he did here.

But Cal still has to coach these guys and this season he won't have Welch. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Fox2monk and DMB#34
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT