ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Will Win Big Next Year at Ark

Arkansas will be very happy if he wins 20+ games and gets a 5 seed or higher in the tourney.

I’m guessing Cal will have a very good year next year at Ark for a couple reasons.

1) The change of school is forcing him to get more seasoned players. Z just committed and Wagner will be spaced out a few days behind him. (I’m guessing Z already had chicken NIL $ in his account.)

2) I don’t think he’ll get all his freshmen, forcing him to hit the portal for players who will fill safer coming to Ark knowing top freshmen aren’t getting the spotlight.

3) He’ll do everything in his power to get DJ & Z into the league. They can’t return another year and jam up key starting spots.

Cal had to keep Darius Miller when he got to UK, and it was key to him winning in ‘12. (Along with NBA strike!)

Cal’s best year at Ark will be next year, then it will be back to a revolving door of freshmen who win the preseason hype.

I appreciate what Cal did for UK. He was perfect following the BCG debacle and the Tubby decline.

However, I am happy to see what the next few years look like at UK. We will not have the most players in McD AA game, NBA AS game, or NBA draft night. I do think we have a chance for a special NCAA run, not because of Pope’s tourn experience. But, I do think MP will construct a title contending roster by year 2 or 3!

Cal will win big next year, but I drank the cool aid regarding the future of UK basketball!
Not to argue here, but CCC had one of the all-time highest rated recruiting classes this past season and still did nothing. I’ll miss these players, but them going to Arky doesn’t really matter to me. We’ll get great players.

We were old 22-23, and it was worst of the last 3.

Oscar, Antonio, CJ Frederick, Wheeler, Toppin, Ware. Had motivation to avenge ST Peters. What did it get him/us?

He has to have overwhelming talent, and he's not going to have that. Doubt he replaces Reed, Antonio, and Rob. Loses Welch. They will struggle to make the tournament.
That’s a good point. 22-23 should have been our year. (We were a 2 seed.). But man … having a PG that can’t shoot makes it tough to win. Sad thing, we had Cason.

People seem all upset about the post. (I’m fine if we never post about Cal again and I’ll own the fact I started the thread.

But my point was he inherited Miller who was a 4 year player who developed into a very, very good player. Combining Miller with a stud like AD, combined with NBA strike causing Jones to return forced Cal into a good balanced roster.

He may be forced into a talented AND balanced roster next year. It will go down hill after next year!

You know what? Cal will probably win big next season but he wasn't going to do that at Ky. That should make all Ky fans 😠 😡 mad.

Reactions: NociHTTP
My original thought was he was going to be reenergized, get a mostly new staff, switch up his style, and try to prove to everyone he still has it. Then I read he was taking all the turds on the staff to Arkansas and it's going to be business as usual down there. He already looks tired of everyone in the videos.
Because he is sort of miserable and doesn't want to be there at all.

He traded Camelot for a Chicken Shack and it was 100% his own fault which he is painfully aware of whether he can admit it yet or not.

That stings.

Not to argue here, but CCC had one of the all-time highest rated recruiting classes this past season and still did nothing. I’ll miss these players, but them going to Arky doesn’t really matter to me. We’ll get great players.
I agree 110%. My OP was that Cal inherited Miller, and lucked into a balanced roster in ‘12 because of NBA strike. I’m guessing the ‘12 team gets knocked out without Miller and Jones. (And that team had a generational player with AD.)

Cal is going to be forced into a more balanced roster next year. We know he will NOT do that every year. It will GO DOWN HILL after next year because of his philosophy.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Cal had the who’s who of college basketball in 2015 and pissed it down his leg against Wisconsin. I don’t see any all world players like AD that can make up for all of his deficiencies as a coach so he can win another championship. Reality will set in soon, then depression! He got booted and his only option was freaking Arkansas. Not worried about Cal..

Last edited:
Reactions: bballcat4
You know what? Cal will probably win big next season but he wasn't going to do that at Ky. That should make all Ky fans 😠 😡 mad.
I agree!

I’m glad he left. It was going to be a miserable year. A few young players would have been better than advertised. Some would have been worse. All would leave after the year. Then, rinse and repeat. (Except he would have been fired after the season.). He knew it and took the first decent job he could get.

My OP is that in his first season he-will be forced to have fairly balanced roster. He’ll bring in 6-7 freshmen next year and start his annual cycle of bragging about draft night.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Arkansas is a great program. They deserve better than this version of Cal too. Should have offered a young up and comer.

We were old 22-23, and it was worst of the last 3.

Oscar, Antonio, CJ Frederick, Wheeler, Toppin, Ware. Had motivation to avenge ST Peters. What did it get him/us?

He has to have overwhelming talent, and he's not going to have that. Doubt he replaces Reed, Antonio, and Rob. Loses Welch. They will struggle to make the tournament.
Too much NIL money now. He can't outbid everybody for every player. Teams can just load up on 1 guy and Cal needs 6 or 7 of those type of guys.

He won't have a better year than this year when he gets to take the guys he recruited to Kentucky with him. Will lose his whole team next year....again

I’m guessing Cal will have a very good year next year at Ark for a couple reasons.

1) The change of school is forcing him to get more seasoned players. Z just committed and Wagner will be spaced out a few days behind him. (I’m guessing Z already had chicken NIL $ in his account.)

2) I don’t think he’ll get all his freshmen, forcing him to hit the portal for players who will fill safer coming to Ark knowing top freshmen aren’t getting the spotlight.

3) He’ll do everything in his power to get DJ & Z into the league. They can’t return another year and jam up key starting spots.

Cal had to keep Darius Miller when he got to UK, and it was key to him winning in ‘12. (Along with NBA strike!)

Cal’s best year at Ark will be next year, then it will be back to a revolving door of freshmen who win the preseason hype.

I appreciate what Cal did for UK. He was perfect following the BCG debacle and the Tubby decline.

However, I am happy to see what the next few years look like at UK. We will not have the most players in McD AA game, NBA AS game, or NBA draft night. I do think we have a chance for a special NCAA run, not because of Pope’s tourn experience. But, I do think MP will construct a title contending roster by year 2 or 3!

Cal may win big next year. But, I drank the UK cool aid regarding the future of our basketball program!!!
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Cal may win big next year. But, I drank the UK cool aid regarding the future of our basketball program!!!
Z can't get NIL $ from the chicken, he is an international player

Too much NIL money now. He can't outbid everybody for every player. Teams can just load up on 1 guy and Cal needs 6 or 7 of those type of guys.
I’m guessing (I have no inside info) that Cyril and 1-2 more freshmen don’t follow Cal.

This will make him have to bring in older players. I may be wrong, I just think he’ll be FORCED into an older roster. It’s not his preference!

The game changed and Cals ego forced him to not change with it. Offense philosophy changed, COVID happened, portal, and now NIL. Eighteen year old super talented players worked when it was eighteen year olds against 22 year olds. Now we have 25 year old men playing college basketball. My girl was a college athlete and graduated in 2018. She has been in the work force for three years. She has kids that graduated the same year she did playing college sports. She just turned 25.

The game changed and Cals ego forced him to not change with it. Offense philosophy changed, COVID happened, portal, and now NIL. Eighteen year old super talented players worked when it was eighteen year olds against 22 year olds. Now we have 25 year old men playing college basketball. My girl was a college athlete and graduated in 2018. She has been in the work force for three years. She has kids that graduated the same year she did playing college sports. She just turned 25.
Agree 110%

Cal is going to lose double digit games next season. He lost the only coach on his staff that was competent and he replaced them with his son.

I would bet the bank on 11-13 losses.

Who?

I will be rooting for the SOAB to go out first round, in fact it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to see his group be so bad they lose 15 games a make the NIT. We all know he will tighten up first chance in the tourneys.

Cal IS GONE!!!! STOP THESE NEW THREADS ABOUT HIM!!! STOP IT!!! WE DON'T CARE ABOUT HIM ANYMORE!!! MOST OF US STOPPED ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO.
There will be many threads about him especially during the year. We should have an IU like thread for every time they lose, especially when it’s to a UNC-W type team. The title can be Cal still sucks at coaching.

I don’t pretend to know.

Portal is just heating up. It will heat up again when players pull out of the draft.

My only point is that the transition takes away some HS recruits (I suspect) and will FORCE him into some older players in the next few months.

I’d be happy if he got 7-8 hs players! We don’t think he gets Perry, and I think he loses a couple others. That forces him to older players.

Arkansas fans first issue will be the drop in scheduled teams. Get ready Ark Fans, lot of Stonehill, UNC Wil and so forth coming your way. Not many big games in the building. You will have to travel to watch the good games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT