ADVERTISEMENT

Call my crazy, but...

BlueBomb

All-American
Apr 3, 2009
I can envision a scenario where a potential starting five returns next season. And yes, I know that we have freshmen that may start. I'm just talking about current players.

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.
Biz Z and Bradshaw at the four.
Ugo and Big Z at the five.

Only Reed is universally on NBA draft boards. And ONLY because he's a legacy Kentucky boy, might he consider returning. No, I don't think he will.

My point is that it's somewhat possible that we have several returning players...for a change.

Not crazy. Although I would bet only 1 of the 3 7-footers returns. I predict Bradshaw. I think there is a fair (20%) chance that we could start Wagner, Sheppard, Theiro, Bradshaw & Quintance. Or even Burks over Quintance.

Reactions: BlueBomb
Reed is always going to have some chance to return. His family has money, his game is perfect for making the NBA wait, as opposed to a 7 footer who has to go on potential, he can build a legacy here.

I think no matter what Reed does, whether he scores 40pts next week in a game, there's always going to be at least a 25-30% chance he comes back.

reed is gone, if Wagner isn't able to go pro he transfers same with Bradshaw. no way either of these two remain on the roster. Big Z is likely gone as well. If he isn't drafted he can just go oversees and play for $$$.

Reactions: catzcan
I want Thiero to start, but I think his natural position is at PF at this point. Would rather have a wing like Liam McNeely or possible portal wing. MAYBE Karter Knox is that guy. Yet to be determined. Slide Quaintance to C (depending on personnel) or bring him first off the bench behind Thiero.

Reactions: Fox2monk
reed is gone, if Wagner isn't able to go pro he transfers same with Bradshaw. no way either of these two remain on the roster. Big Z is likely gone as well. If he isn't drafted he can just go oversees and play for $$$.
Maybe.

If Wagner transfers, it's because Cal won't guarantee his starting spot next season (like he probably did this season). Yes, I can see that Bradshaw might hit the portal. Big Z? Man, I hope that dude returns. I think he'll be the real deal. Maybe 15, 10, 5 assists and 3 blocks.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I can envision a scenario where a potential starting five returns next season. And yes, I know that we have freshmen that may start. I'm just talking about current players.

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.

Only Reed is universally on NBA draft boards. And ONLY because he's a legacy Kentucky boy, might he consider returning. No, I don't think he will.

My point is that it's somewhat possible that we have several returning players...for a change.
Wagner won’t be back, and that’s good news.

Sheppard is gone. The fact that there are people who still think otherwise shows how out of touch with reality and objectivity people can be.

Thiero likely does return, but he’ll need assurances. The guy has outplayed Livingston and Edwards/Mitchell in consecutive years and Cal still doesn’t give him the minutes that his play warrants. He’s an NBA pick next year, and I would argue that he could’ve been one this year if he’d been given more minutes.

Big Z will workout with NBA teams and be drafted.

The other centers may come back, but I don’t know if they can beat out the incoming guys.

I hope next year looks drastically different than this one or the past several.

crazy-man-your-crazy.gif

Sheppard is gone. The fact that there are people who still think otherwise shows how out of touch with reality and objectivity people can be.

Thiero likely does return, but he’ll need assurances. The guy has outplayed Livingston and Edwards/Mitchell in consecutive years and Cal still doesn’t give him the minutes that his play warrants. He’s an NBA pick next year, and I would argue that he could’ve been one this year if he’d been given more minutes.

The other centers may come back, but I don’t know if they can beat out the incoming guys.
I probably agree with everything you said, although I don't think everything is as set in stone as you do.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Can't really disagree.
Ha, you're not crazy. DJ and Bradshaw should most definitely come back and become lottery picks. It's a No-Brainer to me with NIL. All the freshman should come back except Dilly and Reed but Reed won't because of his parents stance on One and Done's.

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.

I just don’t see Reed coming back after all these rewards and draft projections. I think
most people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.

I would stake everything I own betting that this does not happen.

Been through this cycle enough times with Calipari. Wagner and Sheppard are 100% gone, and Bradshaw strikes me as one of those EJ Montgomery-type guys who has no business leaving but will anyway.

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.

Reed Sheppard is gone, don’t do this to yourself

Reactions: ArcticChar
I do not believe that we will get all of them back. However, I am one of the people who does believe that there's a chance that Reed comes back for a second year, which I have talked about in other posts.

Honestly I think Bradshaw is likely to transfer, I think he could end up at USC

When people say X is 100% gone or 100% returning, they are just blowhards who like to hear themselves talk. Nobody knows for certain what they will do “now”, probably not even most of the players.

As for Reed, I’ve given the many reasons why he might return, including financial with NIL only being a small part of that, parental, and him wanting to stretch out this one dream of his one more year and be a kid one last year.

Bradshaw seems like he really enjoys it at UK. Does that prevent someone with influence pressuring him to leave? No. But it helps our chances.

DJ, I’m sure the Wagner’s still have relationship with Cal. He was given the opportunity to succeed this year. Cal can’t control him not getting minor injuries that set him back. And it’s up to him to improve his shot. If he is afraid to compete for PT at UK then he has no chance at the next level. But I don’t think he is the type to back away from competition.

When people say X is 100% gone or 100% returning, they are just blowhards who like to hear themselves talk. Nobody knows for certain what they will do “now”, probably not even most of the players.

As for Reed, I’ve given the many reasons why he might return, including financial with NIL only being a small part of that, parental, and him wanting to stretch out this one dream of his one more year and be a kid one last year.

Bradshaw seems like he really enjoys it at UK. Does that prevent someone with influence pressuring him to leave? No. But it helps our chances.

DJ, I’m sure the Wagner’s still have relationship with Cal. He was given the opportunity to succeed this year. Cal can’t control him not getting minor injuries that set him back. And it’s up to him to improve his shot. If he is afraid to compete for PT at UK then he has no chance at the next level. But I don’t think he is the type to back away from competition.
When do top 5 nba draft prospects/picks return to college? I get Reed is a Kentucky guy in every aspect, but if he is a top 5 pick why would he come back to college?

Reed is always going to have some chance to return. His family has money, his game is perfect for making the NBA wait, as opposed to a 7 footer who has to go on potential, he can build a legacy here.

I think no matter what Reed does, whether he scores 40pts next week in a game, there's always going to be at least a 25-30% chance he comes back.
Hopefully we can give him half of Cals salary

It’s nice to see a fellow BBN member who is grounded in reality! Every point in this post is 100% spot on…

As for Wagner, Cal has done everything short of putting Wagner’s jersey on Dillingham to get him drafted, and a lot of it was at the overall team’s expense. Speaking of reality, Wagner needs a come to Jesus moment, and realize he needs a second season (minimum) and return with Bradshaw and honestly Edwards as well.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
When do top 5 nba draft prospects/picks return to college? I get Reed is a Kentucky guy in every aspect, but if he is a top 5 pick why would he come back to college?
Because he's always wanted to play at Kentucky and lead them to a championship. Because he likes going to college and doesn't need to jump to the NBA so quickly. Because he parents have gone on record as hating the one and done. Because he will still be ranked highly and could still be a top 5 pick in the NBA when he decides to go. I'm not saying that he will definitely stay; I'm just saying that his situation is much different from most and coming back for another year wouldn't hurt him in any way.

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.

Bless you my child, Bless you.

Because he's always wanted to play at Kentucky and lead them to a championship. Because he likes going to college and doesn't need to jump to the NBA so quickly. Because he parents have gone on record as hating the one and done. Because he will still be ranked highly and could still be a top 5 pick in the NBA when he decides to go. I'm not saying that he will definitely stay; I'm just saying that his situation is much different from most and coming back for another year wouldn't hurt him in any way.
This is correct
Everybody isn’t about instant $$$ and running off throwing away the most fun years of your life

Reactions: KFuqua
Maybe but he also wants to play in the nba, and in probably one of the weakest drafts ever, now is the time for him to be a top 5 pick

Wagner at the point.
Sheppard at the two.
Thiero at the three.

I won't call you crazy, but your nearest and dearest might want to consider making a reservation for you at the Rubber Romper Room. Matching white jacket that laces at the back.

Reactions: BlueBomb
“…coming back for another year wouldn’t hurt him in any way.”

Yes. It would. The roster around him won’t be as great. He will be one of the only outside threats. There’s very little chance of shooting 50% from deep again as teams key on him. This draft class is very weak.

Guess we’ll see who’s really out of touch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT