ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Responds to Question About Jeffries

tenor.gif

he could have still said nothing but if espn is going to put a story up then it’s good he responds imo. his dad never said he was a snake or that he promised him to start then after committing said it’s wide open. he said they were unprofessional. so both responses don’t correlate. i don’t see anything here but jeffries wanting more attention and penny giving it to him via tampering.

To explain the above, instagram allows people to ask you questions and for you to respond. Someone told Jeffries not to leave Kentucky and his "answer" was they left me.

Reactions: jedwar
Ah, now it makes sense. I wonder why he feels that way? I hope it's not because Cal recruited competing players.

I assume he wanted to open his recruitment and have Kentucky still recruit him. They told him if he decommited they would move on, so he felt "left."

But if your girlfriend wants to see other people--you're not going to take her back after she's explored her options and gotten Chlamydia in Memphis.

Ah, now it makes sense. I wonder why he feels that way? I hope it's not because Cal recruited competing players.

I have all kinds of theories.

Could be that Cal told him if he was talking to Penny while committee he was out.

Could be Cal knows we'll need bodies and kept recruiting and Jeffries took it as being recruited over.

Could be Penny was in DJ's ear.

Could be Cal knows something about Wiseman and adjusted his recruiting accordingly.

Could be we just didnt have enough guys to be everywhere and chose not to go watch a guy who was already committed.

Could be we purposely didn't go watch him because Cal wanted him to decommit.

Never know what's going on behind the scenes but Cal's comments suggest they wanted promises made and he wouldn't. Think that's tied to us recruiting other forwards.

Kid wanted a promise he would be the only 4 and a starting spot. Cal told him "It does not work that way here." Kid felt he was not getting the love he deserved or did not get his way and Cal would recruit the best of the best and let playing time be decided on the floor and not because of a commitment pledge.

Seems a little better secure to me.

Kentucky is a hard place to play for anyone but I imagine it is much harder on the kids that are ranked in the area he is. Not saying he couldn’t come in and be better like we just saw SGA do this past season but there are also the Pooles and Mathews and Marcus Lees that come through here.

Translation is, the kid thought if he committed early UK would not recruit anyone else at his position. Now that Cal has reached out to some more talented players, the family realizes his playing time will be limited. Wants to go where there is less talent so he can play more. Well, if he doesn't want to compete, good riddance.

This is the other side of early commits imo. Some need to be coddled and be made to feel secure the whole time. I think this was more Penny and Jeffries dad than anything.

UK will be fine and move on. Most will forget about this kid until next year if a Memphis game is on and his name gets called.

This is the other side of early commits imo. Some need to be coddled and be made to feel secure the whole time. I think this was more Penny and Jeffries dad than anything.

UK will be fine and move on. Most will forget about this kid until next year if a Memphis game is on and his name gets called.

If we do play them, and Jeffries is in, I would go zone.

His dad, under love for his son comnitted basketball suicide.He asked Cak to promise shots and playing time. Cal doesnt do that. Basically, his dad needs to stop, he is ruining his sons career. And costing DJ. Hes already ruined DJs chances of playin at UK, now he will have NBA exects looking back and saying why did you handle a college commit soooo bad. I think DJ dad has ruined alot of opportunities for his son. At UK, DJ is player, then a pro. But at Memphis, he is a 4 years player, then maybe G league. I hope DJ quickly realizes, he needs to tell his dad to shut it.

Last edited:
If I was Cal, I'd just pretend the kid didn't exist. Stay focused on the team, and don't let the kid's daddy draw you into a media spat.

Cal can easily replace Jeffries, so he can afford to let it go without being negative. Honestly Cal probably doesn’t need the confidence in his ability to be nice about it, he seems to take a positive approach much of the time.

After seeing this unfold it is a blessing in disguise that he will play somewhere else. In fact thank you, and I mean that, no salt added.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I assume he wanted to open his recruitment and have Kentucky still recruit him. They told him if he decommited they would move on, so he felt "left."

But if your girlfriend wants to see other people--you're not going to take her back after she's explored her options and gotten Chlamydia in Memphis.

Let's say Cal felt it was in the best interest of the program to recruit 2 better players that previously were not in the mix. In other words "found a better girl". I have zero problem with that

Reactions: Cats192
Let's say Cal felt it was in the best interest of the program to recruit 2 better players that previously were not in the mix. In other words "found a better girl". I have zero problem with that
Well some folks would have a problem with that...

"He didn't try to get off the phone quick like I thought he would," Terrence Jones said. "He just talked to me and told me what I had to do in college. He really left it off as I could depend on him and trust him even if I wasn't attending his school."

"You develop a relationship (with recruits), and because someone doesn't come your way, you say, 'I don't want to talk to you anymore'?" said Romar, incredulous at being asked why he spoke to Jones for more than an hour after learning Kentucky won the prized recruit. "So, you never had a relationship to begin with."

His dad, under love for his son comnitted basketball suicide.He asked Cak to promise shots and playing time. Cal doesnt do that. Basically, his dad needs to stop, he is ruining his sons career. And costing DJ. Hes already ruined DJs chances of playin at UK, now he will have NBA exects looking back and saying why did you handle a college commit soooo bad. I think DJ dad has ruined alot of opportunities for his son. At UK, DJ is player, then a pro. But at Memphis, he is a 4 years player, then maybe G league. I hope DJ quickly realizes, he needs to tell his dad to shut it.

Gonzo, Really ,man, you are a top poster here, but you are waaaay off on this. Please get on board before you lose much credit with all of us. Come on man. Wake your but up. lol

I could care less about DJ at this point, but to think potential NBA exes are going to care about this is a bit of a stretch.

Well some folks would have a problem with that...

"He didn't try to get off the phone quick like I thought he would," Terrence Jones said. "He just talked to me and told me what I had to do in college. He really left it off as I could depend on him and trust him even if I wasn't attending his school."

"You develop a relationship (with recruits), and because someone doesn't come your way, you say, 'I don't want to talk to you anymore'?" said Romar, incredulous at being asked why he spoke to Jones for more than an hour after learning Kentucky won the prized recruit. "So, you never had a relationship to begin with."

Apparently Cal wasn’t the issue. It was Barbee that the Jeffries were dealing with. And all we really have been told is that Barbee “was unprofessional”. Not how. Unless this is all about UK not showing up to his last summer aau game. Is that really unprofessional? Not really no.

While you also have the Jeffries admitting they’ve been allowing another program to continue recruiting them after they committed. Sounds like the Jeffries are the ones being unprofessional.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I guess I don't understand recruiting. Jeffries had already committed, but was upset that no one came to watch him play. The KY staff is limited in size just like other schools. They had to use their staff to watch other players that had NOT ALREADY COMMITTED to play for UK. Since Jeffries had already committed, why did UK need to keep watching him play? Unless he was afraid they were going to keep recruiting. If that's the case, I don't want him. I want the best players at KY that we can get. And with Cal, that usually happens. I trust Cal. And I still can not wait for the season to start!!!!!

GO CATS!!!!

The more I think about the Jeffries situation, rhe madder I get. He wats to decommit and shop around, but be able to come back if he wants to. No, no, no that's not the way it works, buddy. Also, IF he was still talking to Penny at Memphis, but had already committed here, then, to me, that shows a lack of trust and respect. And I really don't like someone disrespecting my school. I know, I know I shouldn't let it bother me thus much and it really doesn't. Just have extra tume on my hands today.

Gonzo, Really ,man, you are a top poster here, but you are waaaay off on this. Please get on board before you lose much credit with all of us. Come on man. Wake your but up. lol

I think it is too late for them to kiss and make up. Once his Dad opened his mouth, Cal has moved on. Ask KyKy how it works.

Reactions: Tyblue22
The more I think about the Jeffries situation, rhe madder I get. He wats to decommit and shop around, but be able to come back if he wants to. No, no, no that's not the way it works, buddy. Also, IF he was still talking to Penny at Memphis, but had already committed here, then, to me, that shows a lack of trust and respect. And I really don't like someone disrespecting my school. I know, I know I shouldn't let it bother me thus much and it really doesn't. Just have extra tume on my hands today.
You don’t commit to UK and back out to wind up at Memphis or Miss State. Too many influences in the Deep South. There’s a reason we haven’t had an elite player from Mississippi since Cotton Nash. LOL

Reactions: susan2361
You don’t commit to UK and back out to wind up at Memphis or Miss State. Too many influences in the Deep South. There’s a reason we haven’t had an elite player from Mississippi since Cotton Nash. LOL
Devin Booker

he could have still said nothing but if espn is going to put a story up then it’s good he responds imo. his dad never said he was a snake or that he promised him to start then after committing said it’s wide open. he said they were unprofessional. so both responses don’t correlate. i don’t see anything here but jeffries wanting more attention and penny giving it to him via tampering.
Tampering? DJ makes his own choice at the end of the day. What about Terrence. Jones?

Same thing. It's not Cals fault, nor is it Penny's. I personally didn't see the big deal about DJ. He posted 15ppg and 7 rebounds a game.....in high school. That's nothing but average if that. It'l all work out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT