ADVERTISEMENT

Cable TV cord cutters

You are talking to an old feller here, so I don't know the difference between USB and HDMI. 🤣
But if a fire stick will work on my Roku TV then I will buy one and find the hole it fits in. I do have past experience i finding the correct hole. 🤣
This is the difference in an HDMI port and USB port....

HDMI-Vs-USB-C-1024x520.png

Reactions: cdbearde
I have a Spectrum package for TV, internet, and land line phone. Tried to drop the phone and it was actually gonna cost more. Last billI paid was 210. It's a different amunt every month. Worst company ever.
I experienced the same thing trying to cancel the land line. What make this situation worse is the programming; its like the movie Ground Hog Day, watching the same thing over and over.

If you ditch the "cable" provider, what do you do for the internet?
I kept the cable company for internet only because it was fast speed Fiber- Optic, I did drop everything else including land line, I kept the extender for wifi in one of my detached garages, it's great. It dropped my bill from right at 300 a month to 99, would have been 89 if I gave up the extender.

They sell practically the same box at Walmart.
I'd like to know more about this.
What do I need to do to get the same "everything" from a Walmart streaming media box as the Louisville Media Box?
I'm technically challenged as far as changing/upgrading software on devices so...?

fire stick. use trials. if you can’t find one i get a friend take one. i didn’t pay a dime last year. hope i don’t this year

Really good breakdown for people trying to decide between YouTube and Hulu. I'm getting YouTube here soon. Unlimited cloud for recording breaks the tie for me.
I would suggest to anyone picking a streaming option to review the channel list and compare it to the channels they watch a lot. DVR wasn't big issue for me because most of those services have on demand viewing of most every show so there is no need to record it for watching later. I usually don't record sporting events. I either watch them live or not at all.

I chose Hulu mainly because we watch DIY and the Cooking channel quite a bit. Those two channels are not available at all on Youtube but were both available on Hulu. We do watch some of Hulu's other content but that wasn't the deciding factor.

The bottom line is to find the one that has the channels you watch the most. Don't base your decision on what someone else says because they don't necessarily watch the same channels you watch.

I would suggest to anyone picking a streaming option to review the channel list and compare it to the channels they watch a lot. DVR wasn't big issue for me because most of those services have on demand viewing of most every show so there is no need to record it for watching later. I usually don't record sporting events. I either watch them live or not at all.

I chose Hulu mainly because we watch DIY and the Cooking channel quite a bit. Those two channels are not available at all on Youtube but were both available on Hulu. We do watch some of Hulu's other content but that wasn't the deciding factor.

The bottom line is to find the one that has the channels you watch the most. Don't base your decision on what someone else says because they don't necessarily watch the same channels you watch.
Well that goes without saying...

Octane networks, "funchester" our resident streamer recommended it on here like 3 years ago maybe and that's what I've used ever since

Anyone who has that, I’d seriously look into a vpn. For about $100/year you’re making that a lot safer to use.
yes, a must for anyone using IPTV as well. I use surfshark which is like $60 for 2 years.

there is no guarantee that VPN do not keep records but at least you have some level of protection.

Internet providers apparently are sending out letters to people in regards to streaming copyrighted material. What that criteria is I don't know - I would assume PPV is top priority.

Is it possible to create your VPN by renting a server online for similar pricing guaranteeing there are no records of your viewing, but there is a bit of learning curve with this.

My experience is the better IPTV options last about a year to 18 months before they get whacked. and DVR options are pretty limited. I start up Youtube TV during basketball season and then shut it down over the summer.

Reactions: bhoop33
The thing I love about YouTubeTV is that it will record all of your game whether it runs long or not. Nothing ticks me off more than to get to the last 5 minutes of a game and the DVR stop recording because the game ran longer than what I had set the DVR to record. You also set it to record UK Basketball and it records all games so you don't have to set it to record each one individually.
is there some setting for that? There have been multiple times where a game, especially football, has about 2 minutes left and its stopped recording

yes, a must for anyone using IPTV as well. I use surfshark which is like $60 for 2 years.

there is no guarantee that VPN do not keep records but at least you have some level of protection.

Internet providers apparently are sending out letters to people in regards to streaming copyrighted material. What that criteria is I don't know - I would assume PPV is top priority.

Is it possible to create your VPN by renting a server online for similar pricing guaranteeing there are no records of your viewing, but there is a bit of learning curve with this.

My experience is the better IPTV options last about a year to 18 months before they get whacked. and DVR options are pretty limited. I start up Youtube TV during basketball season and then shut it down over the summer.
My sister got a letter from Comcast in Indiana last year over a fire stick. I haven’t heard anything from providers in Ky about sending letters but I’d assume they would too. VPN’s are really inexpensive when you think about the alternative.

YouTube TV. You can pause it when your not watching it (summer for me). Unlimited recording, and if you need to you can trick the home location function to watch any region you want no matter where you live.
Is that reliable or does YouTube try to switch you back to your actual location?

My sister got a letter from Comcast in Indiana last year over a fire stick. I haven’t heard anything from providers in Ky about sending letters but I’d assume they would too. VPN’s are really inexpensive when you think about the alternative.
back in the day of eeprom programming of DirectTV cards, they were going after the people selling the card programmers. They'd shut them down and threaten them with everything they could to get them to give up their customer lists. Then DTV send out letters demanding $3500 to the customers on the list or they would take legal action with no proof that anyone actually used a hacked card. Alot of people paid the money.

I don't know if these letters are a bluff. Even without a VPN, all they can really say is that they know you went to a specific URL and streamed data from time X to time Y - which may line up perfectly with say the Tyson/Fury fight on PPV but I'm not sure they can say with 100% certainty. As I understand it, any site that is HTTPS is encrypted from the provide to begin with.

Of course whatever they are asking in compensation (if any, they may just be at cease and desist level stuff) is going to just slightly less than what they think it will cost you to defend yourself in court.

There is an example recently of a VPN provider, I think it was Pro VPN, who was contacted by the FBI because a guy was stalking a girl and threatening her life, hiding behind a VPN - and they gave him up without much of a fight including all his records - even though they claimed they were a deleted log VPN service. While I hate the idea of a stalker harming a girl , that was pretty eye opening to the VPN users out there.

Last edited:
back in the day of eeprom programming of DirectTV cards, they were going after the people selling the card programmers. They'd shut them down and threaten them with everything they could to get them to give up their customer lists. Then DTV send out letters demanding $3500 to the customers on the list or they would take legal action with no proof that anyone actually used a hacked card. Alot of people paid the money.

I don't know if these letters are a bluff. Even without a VPN, all they can really say is that they know you went to a specific URL and streamed data from time X to time Y - which may line up perfectly with say the Tyson/Fury fight on PPV but I'm not sure they can say with 100% certainty. As I understand it, any site that is HTTPS is encrypted from the provide to begin with.

Of course whatever they are asking in compensation (if any, they may just be at cease and desist level stuff) is going to just slightly less than what they think it will cost you to defend yourself in court.

There is an example recently of a VPN provider, I think it was Pro VPN, who was contacted by the FBI because a guy was stalking a girl and threatening her life, hiding behind a VPN - and they gave him up without much of a fight including all his records - even though they claimed they were a deleted log VPN service. While I hate the idea of a stalker harming a girl , that was pretty eye opening to the VPN users out there.
My sisters letter as far as I remember was just saying if she did it again they’d cut off her service. Which for some ppl is a big deal because it may be the only legitimate service in their area.
As far as the stalker thing, I feel like due to its much more serious nature, I could understand that. Not sure vpn companies are giving up info over watching streams. Even so, I’d pay the small cost for a vpn to try and cover my ass as opposed to just throwing middle fingers up and saying come get me like some ppl are lol

Look, my friends, internet TV is just an app. This is what you need to do. Make sure you have good internet. You want 50 mbps to be safe. Second, make sure you have routers in the right places. 9 times out of 10 when something freezes on TV it’s did to router location or age.

Lastly, Hulu, YouTubeTV, AT&T and insert provider here all have free trials. Picking one doesn’t have to be a life or death situation. You aren’t locked in. It’s just a monthly app fee. And the differences between them are often negligible. If you haven’t had internet TV before, you can get free TV for like 5 months if you just take all of them up for free trial

My sisters letter as far as I remember was just saying if she did it again they’d cut off her service. Which for some ppl is a big deal because it may be the only legitimate service in their area.
As far as the stalker thing, I feel like due to its much more serious nature, I could understand that. Not sure vpn companies are giving up info over watching streams. Even so, I’d pay the small cost for a vpn to try and cover my ass as opposed to just throwing middle fingers up and saying come get me like some ppl are lol
I don't think people are upset over the nature of why they gave the guy up

What is concerning however is they were able to provide log info weeks or even months afterwards when they were claiming they deleted logs.

I do agree however that a VPN is your best protection when using a questionable streaming service.

Called DTV 2 days ago and told them 200/month was too much and I needed to get it to $ 160 or I'd have to try YouTube TV.

They gave me a 12 month discount of $ 40 a month. Bang.

Peacock and pay the few dollars for ad free. Plenty of movies All these are really a rip off. In every country but USA cost is half these prices. Internet, tv cable, movies should be cheap.

I switched from satellite TV about 2 years ago with $125 monthly bill to streaming tv and I think it was about $49 a month. Now Hulu is 75 or 79.
Just got a Satellite TV advertisement today for 190 channels for $69 with a 2 year price lock.
Probably switching back.

I switched from satellite TV about 2 years ago with $125 monthly bill to streaming tv and I think it was about $49 a month. Now Hulu is 75 or 79.
Just got a Satellite TV advertisement today for 190 channels for $69 with a 2 year price lock.
Probably switching back.

Probably switching back.
I use kodi with firestick. Everything free. Just watch nba playoffs. Nba draft. All baseball.
Go to Troypoint.com all movies. Networks. Use a VPN. SEVERAL CHANNELS. TROY LIST THEM ALL.

Called DTV 2 days ago and told them 200/month was too much and I needed to get it to $ 160 or I'd have to try YouTube TV.

They gave me a 12 month discount of $ 40 a month. Bang.
You should have fought for more. I always tell them I want to set up a disconnect date and they give you bottom basement pricing.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, Spectrum just bumped up to $207 which is just stupid. And that's with Cable and Internet bundled. Problem is I can ditch the cable portion, but I lose the "discount" on the internet for bundling. so to get a speed that can keep up with us streaming along with two teenagers constantly streaming at the same time, It will still cost me around $100 just for the internet. I don't have much in the way of other options out where I'm at. I think I can get AT&T, but that's crap and wouldn't handle my needs. So Spectrum pretty much has me by the nads Internet wise.

What's the most economical streaming package that will get me the SEC Network, the ESPN's and CBS for watching games.

I use kodi with firestick. Everything free. Just watch nba playoffs. Nba draft. All baseball.
Go to Troypoint.com all movies. Networks. Use a VPN. SEVERAL CHANNELS. TROY LIST THEM ALL.
Sounds shady, what's the catch. are you using the VPN to evade pirating movies and sports?

You should have fought for more. I always tell them I want to set up a disconnect date and they give you bottom basement pricing.
Nah. I'm very very happy. I like that I can do a long summer suspension so over the course of a year, that saves a ton more.

Was paying about $250/ month with Direct TV, dropped them and picked up DejaVue a streaming service with about 7,000 channels for $55 / month. Get everything from all the ESPN channels, PPV's, NFL network and all the college and professional sports I can watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT