ADVERTISEMENT

Cable TV cord cutters

Can you do youtube TV just for the college basketball season, and then stop it once mid-April rolls around?
Yes. You can stop YouTube TV t any point. Also, thye have a feature where you can put in your favorite team and it will automatically record their games and you don't have to worry about recording time. It records until the game is over and then some.

Sling with the sports package. Costs around 40 bucks a month. I considered YouTube TV because I live in a rural area where an antenna can’t pick up local channels. But at the end of the day, those few channels weren’t worth paying double the price to me, so I just went with sling and it’s been great.

Yea I can see that. I wasn’t really bashing sling, it’s just that there’s way better options out there now and at one time sling was about the best option.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Bought mine on Saturday. Blown away.

Every channel, every game, NBA, NCAA, NFL, NHL, MLB, movies, video on demand.........free....(I mean after the one time purchase anyway.)

I was a skeptic, thought what the h**l, I'll take a chance......

Directv subscriber for over 20 years. Done with that now....
If that’s what I think it is, you are paying an outrageous amount of money for illegal streaming. Don’t know what device they are using, but the same thing could be accomplished on any Android based streaming device, so paying anything close to $100 for it is insanity.

I just cut the cord myself. After a lot of research for a streaming service that had the channels that suit me, I went with YouTube TV. They definitely have the most content. You get every channel Kentucky would play on, all the good movie channels, and all the locals for 65$ per month. I had dish and they wanted to charge me 130$ per month. No thanks. I haven’t regretted YouTube TV for a second. It’s just like having cable. I stream it on my PS4

The thing I love about YouTubeTV is that it will record all of your game whether it runs long or not. Nothing ticks me off more than to get to the last 5 minutes of a game and the DVR stop recording because the game ran longer than what I had set the DVR to record. You also set it to record UK Basketball and it records all games so you don't have to set it to record each one individually.

I have a Spectrum package for TV, internet, and land line phone. Tried to drop the phone and it was actually gonna cost more. Last billI paid was 210. It's a different amunt every month. Worst company ever.

Reactions: ORCAT
I want to get a Louisville Media Box but live a bit away from where they're sold. Plus I'm disabled so I can't drive to get one. I want to drop Spectrum in a big way. I'm paying almost $250.00 for internet and TV and no movie channels. Just the sports package. It's insane I'm ready to save some money. Living on a fixed income and a cable bill wiping out a good portion of your funds really sucks.

YouTube TV for sure. Like said earlier, if you stream on a Roku TV, you have to access YouTube TV from the YouTube app, where there used to be a YouTube TV dedicated app but Roku and Google have had a dispute. I read an article recently that after December, all new Roku devices will lose YouTube altogether, but old devices with YouTube currently will not be affected.

I am probably going to purchase an Amazon Fire Stick so that I can have the dedicated YouTube TV app to save from the annoyance of accessing it through the YouTube app.

What is a Louisville media box ?
There is an open source application called Kodi, used to be Xbox Media Center. You would install it on a device that ran android OS, like an Amazon fire stick. The application would then connect to servers who are rebroadcasting content they may or may not have subscribed to. Let’s say Person A subs to cable and has ESPN in his package. He then streams that channel back out over the internet by allowing others to connect to his host server. The Louisville Media Box is just a cheap PC that has the application pre installed and configured to connect to these hosts.

Owning the box is legal. Having the application installed is legal. Other person rebroadcasting the content is breaking the law. You notice that every movie and sporting event posts a warning to this effect. “No rebroadcast without the express written consent…”

Some people try to rationalize they aren’t breaking the law by connecting to these servers, but if you buy stolen goods what does the law state?

Plus many of these servers are hosted in China and eastern bloc countries. The same places that are selling peoples’ stolen credit card numbers and where much of the ransomware originates. If you are cool with giving them a direct access through your firewall….

I want to get a Louisville Media Box but live a bit away from where they're sold. Plus I'm disabled so I can't drive to get one. I want to drop Spectrum in a big way. I'm paying almost $250.00 for internet and TV and no movie channels. Just the sports package. It's insane I'm ready to save some money. Living on a fixed income and a cable bill wiping out a good portion of your funds really sucks.

They sell practically the same box at Walmart.

Switched to YouTube TV a while ago and don't regret it. Only downside is the functionality of the remote regarding playback. One of the things I used to love to do with sporting events was slow-mo. Step through a replay and such. Can't really do that, although that may be more a function of my Roku TV remote.

Reactions: Cawood86
They sell practically the same box at Walmart.
from what I read so far with the Louisville Media Box, I would probably pass on it now. If it's basically Kodi with certain repositories installed. I have used Kodi before with the same kind of setup

YouTube TV has the most content and best features. Pretty user-friendly as well. However, if you use Roku as your streaming device, there are some current issues with them and YouTube, so you have to access YoutubeTv via the standard Youtube app, which can be a headache.
I watch YouTube TV on my Roku TV constantly. Never a problem. They threatened to drop some channels last month, typical negotiating tactic, but they settled it.

I watch YouTube TV on my Roku TV constantly. Never a problem. They threatened to drop some channels last month, typical negotiating tactic, but they settled it.
You should delete your Youtube Tv app and try reinstalling it. HINT: You won't be able to.

The thing I love about YouTubeTV is that it will record all of your game whether it runs long or not. Nothing ticks me off more than to get to the last 5 minutes of a game and the DVR stop recording because the game ran longer than what I had set the DVR to record. You also set it to record UK Basketball and it records all games so you don't have to set it to record each one individually.
Yes I love this feature. I don’t normally watch recorded games, but if you have something set to record that comes on after a game, it will adjust the recording times and get what you actually wanted to record.

There is an open source application called Kodi, used to be Xbox Media Center. You would install it on a device that ran android OS, like an Amazon fire stick. The application would then connect to servers who are rebroadcasting content they may or may not have subscribed to. Let’s say Person A subs to cable and has ESPN in his package. He then streams that channel back out over the internet by allowing others to connect to his host server. The Louisville Media Box is just a cheap PC that has the application pre installed and configured to connect to these hosts.

Owning the box is legal. Having the application installed is legal. Other person rebroadcasting the content is breaking the law. You notice that every movie and sporting event posts a warning to this effect. “No rebroadcast without the express written consent…”

Some people try to rationalize they aren’t breaking the law by connecting to these servers, but if you buy stolen goods what does the law state?

Plus many of these servers are hosted in China and eastern bloc countries. The same places that are selling peoples’ stolen credit card numbers and where much of the ransomware originates. If you are cool with giving them a direct access through your firewall….
Technically you are breaking the law by streaming the content if it's using a Torrent file, which is common in Kodi. Streaming Torrents generally requires the viewer to upload while they are also downloading it. You can turn off uploading, but then generally your download speed for the torrent gets shot to hell. This is why it's generally recommended to use a VPN that doesn't catalog your history when using stuff like this.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Technically you are breaking the law by streaming the content if it's using a Torrent file, which is common in Kodi. Streaming Torrents generally requires the viewer to upload while they are also downloading it. You can turn off uploading, but then generally your download speed for the torrent gets shot to hell. This is why it's generally recommended to use a VPN that doesn't catalog your history when using stuff like this.
A VPN to do something illegal. Just comes down to morals. I may not be doing something illegal but if I'm benefitting from someone else doing something illegal then how am I any better? Same reason I don't buy stolen merchandise.

You should delete your Youtube Tv app and try reinstalling it. HINT: You won't be able to.

I have a Roku TV and today I went to Youtube TV and it comes up that I need to update my payment method, I went on line and it came up with the same shit, I clicked to continue to see what the problem was, it took me to a screen that asked why was canceling, I wasn't, but had no other option, I tried several times. So I cancelled. 🙄

I like that feature too. Excellent feature actually.

I have a Roku TV and today I went to Youtube TV and it comes up that I need to update my payment method, I went on line and it came up with the same shit, I clicked to continue to see what the problem was, it took me to a screen that asked why was canceling, I wasn't, but had no other option, I tried several times. So I cancelled. 🙄
That's odd, but it looks like YoutubeTv won't be on Roku much longer, which sucks because it's built into my TV's OS, and the TV is only a year old

Reactions: cdbearde
That's odd, but it looks like YoutubeTv won't be on Roku much longer, which sucks because it's built into my TV's OS, and the TV is only a year old
Yep, that sucks, I liked the option to record all UK games, Football and Basketball because I work a 12 hour swing and can't watch some games live.
I guess I will have to buy a new TV and go with firestick. 🙄

Reactions: PasadenaCat
Yep, that sucks, I liked the option to record all UK games, Football and Basketball because I work a 12 hour swing and can't watch some games live.
I guess I will have to buy a new TV and go with firestick. 🙄
Just get a new streaming device that you can plug into an HDMI port. Firestick, apple tv or chrome tv would all work fine. Unless you're needing/wanting a new TV.

Just get a new streaming device that you can plug into an HDMI port. Firestick, apple tv or chrome tv would all work fine. Unless you're needing/wanting a new TV.
So are saying that I can put a Firestick into my Roku Tv?
I don't know how many HDMI ports that the TV has, I have a flash drive in one port so I have pause, fast forward, and rewind on my antenna TV, I have 40 channels on antenna.
Edit, I just looked, I have two ports

So are saying that I can put a Firestick into my Roku Tv?
I don't know how many HDMI ports that the TV has, I have a flash drive in one port so I have pause, fast forward, and rewind on my antenna TV, I have 40 channels on antenna.
Edit, I just looked, I have two ports
Your flash drive should be in your USB port, but you should have 3 HDMI ports, unless it is a really old tv. For sure you have 2.

But, yea, just buy any kind of tv streaming device and you should be able to select it as an option like you do your antenna, at the top of the roku menu. Then you will just stream through that instead of the roku steaming built into your tv.

Your flash drive should be in your USB port, but you should have 3 HDMI ports, unless it is a really old tv. For sure you have 2.

But, yea, just buy any kind of tv streaming device and you should be able to select it as an option like you do your antenna, at the top of the roku menu. Then you will just stream through that instead of the roku steaming built into your tv.
You are talking to an old feller here, so I don't know the difference between USB and HDMI. 🤣
But if a fire stick will work on my Roku TV then I will buy one and find the hole it fits in. I do have past experience in finding the correct hole. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT