ADVERTISEMENT

Besides Sheppard and obviously Dillingham, what UK player would you love to see return?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Outside of the obvious departures in the two seniors and also the two freshmen studs, which UK player would you like to see return the most?

My vote is for Justin Edwards. I think a second year from him puts him in contention for SEC player of the year next season. I think a second year catapults him into the top 10 of the draft.

That said, I think the 28 point effort followed almost immediately with Knox announcing his decision time table is telling. It was almost like Knox just needed to see that Edwards was still draftable, and that game solidified it.

Even still, I would absolutely love to see a second year from Edwards.

BIG Z!!!
Another year in the weight room and with his skill level, he could be a FORCE next season!!!

Can't see any way Justin returns with the way he has played this last month. Carter Knox committing yesterday tells me that he is going to the draft.

Big Z is the popular answer since he has so much potential and barely scratched the surface. Going with DJ though. Wagner returning would be huge to give this team some depth in the backcourt alongside Fland & Perry in next year's class at the moment. They are going to have to find some depth at guard to replace Reeves, Dillingham & Sheppard if he doesn't return. DJ probably leaves regardless and only proves how much UK could use another guard or two from the portal or a reclass.

I’d like DJ and Edwards to come back and they both should. Of the two I suppose I moreso hope Edwards returns.

The other good one would be Z but I’m not sure if he’s projected to be drafted still? Not saying he isn’t, just saying idk one way or the other.

Outside of the obvious departures in the two seniors and also the two freshmen studs, which UK player would you like to see return the most?

My vote is for Justin Edwards. I think a second year from him puts him in contention for SEC player of the year next season. I think a second year catapults him into the top 10 of the draft.

That said, I think the 28 point effort followed almost immediately with Knox announcing his decision time table is telling. It was almost like Knox just needed to see that Edwards was still draftable, and that game solidified it.

Edwards, Big Z, Wagner, and Bradshaw.

Easy answer is all of them.

I think Edwards is playing himself into the late first round if not the late lottery and a big 9 tournament games solidifies him as gone.

I think the potential of Big Z and also how we have improved as he became our primary big man gets him to the first as well.

I think anyone in the first goes leaves.

I honestly feel like DJ and Bradshaw will be back. Along with Thiero, Ugo, Hart, and Burks makes a great foundation for next year.

Easy answer is all of them.

I think Edwards is playing himself into the late first round if not the late lottery and a big 9 tournament games solidifies him as gone.

I think the potential of Big Z and also how we have improved as he became our primary big man gets him to the first as well.

I think anyone in the first goes leaves.

I honestly feel like DJ and Bradshaw will be back. Along with Thiero, Ugo, Hart, and Burks makes a great foundation for next year.
And Sheppard? Do you have him leaving?

And Sheppard? Do you have him leaving?
As bad as I hat to type this. Yeah, top 5-10 pick.

His dad and Wayne Turner are two of if not my two favorite players due to that awesome 98 run. So I was really looking forward to Reed staying 2-3 years after watching a lot of his high school games.

I will say, he would be about the only kid I know to buck that trend and come back, but I don't see it.

As bad as I hat to type this. Yeah, top 5-10 pick.

His dad and Wayne Turner are two of if not my two favorite players due to that awesome 98 run. So I was really looking forward to Reed staying 2-3 years after watching a lot of his high school games.

I will say, he would be about the only kid I know to buck that trend and come back, but I don't see it.
I'm with you on that. I put it at a coin flip. Maybe we luck out and Reed comes back if UK falls short of a title this year.

Would Sheppard, Wagner, Bradshaw, Thiero, and Onyenso returning be enough for this UK team to be preseason #1 next season?

G - Sheppard - Wagner - Perry
G - Wagner - Fland - Richmond
G - Fland - Knox - Richmond
F - Quaintance - Thiero
C - Onyenso - Bradshaw - Cyril

I like the idea of any three guard lineup that includes Sheppard leading the team.
Throw in a knock down shooter or two our of the portal and lets hang #10 next year.

That's another thing with Reed. If he was to win a title or two - he puts himself in the top 5 instantly of all time at UK. I think he's gone, but there is a chance.

Throw in a knock down shooter or two our of the portal and lets hang #10 next year.

That's another thing with Reed. If he was to win a title or two - he puts himself in the top 5 instantly of all time at UK. I think he's gone, but there is a chance.
I think that our fanbase is so eager for a 9th title, that if Reed Sheppard led us to a natty this year or next, he probably eclipses everyone on the list in terms of "most beloved player ever", especially due to the fact that we live in the social media age.

Reactions: Fox2monk and AGEE11
our 3 7 footers. It would be interesting to what a full year would look like
If they all decide another year in college is in the cards, I think at least one of them transfers out. I think Z stays. he seems to love it here. I think Bradshaw would be the most likely to transfer out, even though he's had a great attitude as well. I just can't see them all three agreeing to share minutes again.

I still hope Reed comes back, he's an instant POY candidate if he does. Dilly is gone, no two ways about it. He's a top 5 pick right now. I know Reed is projecting lottery too, but I think and selfishly hope other circumstances has him back for another go at it. DJ would be the other obvious choice to come back, but considering what happened to his dad, and his having to sit some with injuries this year might push him out the door, even though he needs another year.

I hope Knox can give us what Edwards has lately. but I doubt we get that. I don't see Knox being able to knock down threes like Edwards is capable of.

Reactions: Ukgold
I’ll say Wagner, especially if Sheppard and Dillingham are gone. We will need some experience in the backcourt.
The question was which single player, besides Sheppard and Dillingham, would you most want to see return. I agree with you on Wagner. I think any one of the 3 Guards returning would be most important to winning next season based on the players most likely to return and those committed. I don’t pretend to know how realistic it is that any of the three would return for another season, but Wagner would be fantastic.

In the spirit of Ms. Hall, my 4th grade English teacher who always said I can’t follow directions, I would like to see Sheppard come back, and if not I’d like to see Dillingham come back.

Another thing I like about the board is I don’t have to remember to put my name at the top.

I hope Knox can give us what Edwards has lately. but I doubt we get that. I don't see Knox being able to knock down threes like Edwards is capable of.

There are definitely posters here that have watched Knox more and can give a better opinion about him than me (e.g., Shaudyshaud, Smashcat, Ralphdaltonfan, and probably others too). But I believe that Knox is a more consistent 3pt. shooter than Edwards was coming in. I actually think for a freshman 5-star SF, Knox is a better 3pt. shooter than most. Although, that’s admittedly an opinion (and not a strongly held one) based on limited information.

Reactions: Ukgold
There are definitely posters here that have watched Knox more and can give a better opinion about him than me (e.g., Shaudyshaud, Smashcat, Ralphdaltonfan, and probably others too). But I believe that Knox is a more consistent 3pt. shooter than Edwards was coming in. I actually think for a freshman 5-star SF, Knox is a better 3pt. shooter than most. Although, that’s admittedly an opinion (and not a strongly held one) based on limited information.

Hope so. To me I just see a tweeter with a slow release who’s gonna struggle all year, get too many minutes, and bolt before he can contribute. Definitely hope someone bumps this post when we’re 5th in the SEC and he has a good game against Hazard community college.

Reactions: G-PIP
Love to see Big Z come back and hit the weight room this season and show us what he could truly be. Would love to see Sheppard come back but I think most of them are gone.

Reactions: KT34
I’ll say Wagner, especially if Sheppard and Dillingham are gone. We will need some experience in the backcourt.
My thoughts exactly. It's really hard to rely on a freshman PG to run the team. We can hope that Fland and Perry can replicate Rob and Reed but the odds aren't in our favor for that to happen.

If just one time everyone who was eligible to return did so, especially a squad with this level of talent and yet to be tapped potential, it would be historic.

Essentially another platoon year and sniffing around undefeated.

2016-2017 was a good year...32 wins...had the guys from the previous year stayed...most likely a banner, maybe undefeated. 2018-2019...same story

Those guys couldn't get paid. These guys can. I know it's not NBA money, but they could all sign some deals that would get them good money.

It comes down to how bad Cal wants history. He's accomplished all his next level goals for players, he's got a league full of alumn, he's got billions in contracts. Now, he even has a "collegiate" environment that has come around to "players first" where kids are empowered and able to earn.

They would all come back if he asked them to. He knows it, they know it, and they all know what would be accomplished.

To be fair, it's going to take a little desire and participation on part of BBN too. Time to pony up.

Top 2: Edwards and DJ

Edwards has already largely figured it out. He's turned into a big time 3 and D wing. Now that he understands how to play at this level, a full off-season with Kentucky's training staff and resources will have him ready to take over next season. I honestly think he's already played himself back into the 1st round. But if he comes back and shows more, I think he can get to a top 5-10 pick.

DJ: He's starting to get going again. I think with another off-season, he can come back bigger and faster. He'll be able to blow by guys and get to the rim at an elite level. He's really put in work on the 3 point shot, and another off-season of work will have him shooting it at a high level. Having an experienced PG will go really far with a young group coming in and tons of turnover. He'll do wonders for his draft stock by returning.

Of the ones I think might come back, I'd say DJ. Him and Shep would be the best backcourt in the nation next year.

Hope so. To me I just see a tweeter with a slow release who’s gonna struggle all year, get too many minutes, and bolt before he can contribute. Definitely hope someone bumps this post when we’re 5th in the SEC and he has a good game against Hazard community college.
I hadn't picked up on the slow release aspect. If true, that does become a problem against SEC athletes. And don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Knox or Richmond as UK's starting SF next season. Backups that get good minutes is fine, but not the primary SF. I now fear, however, that is what it's going to be. If so, I think a quality volume 3pt. shooter will be even more crucial at the 2G spot.

I'd lean a guard because i have it in my mind they're all dawgs from working with Ulis. You can see parts of his game in Reed/Rob/DJ and I'm all in on it. I hate that we're getting 1 season of this group and they've all been active for like 5 games though. Hopefully they stretch this last run

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT