ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts: Kentucky finds itself in an odd place on the national basketball recruiting landscape

Horn is the Grandson of Ellen’s favorite high school teacher. Darbyshire is the son of the Net’s ballboy when Cal was there. JK
In reality, Horn is the son of NKU head coach Darrin Horn, who was also head coach at WKU for 5 years and at South Carolina for 4. He was also an assistant at Texas for 4 years and had a couple other assistant gigs.

He played for a pretty good WKU team (his senior year they went 27-4, won the Sunbelt Conf, and finished the year ranked #21 in the AP poll), starting 92 games and averaging almost 25 MPG over his 4 years there.

Walker Horn played 2 years at CJ's alma mater, Covington Catholic. Started a few games but mostly came off the bench.

As a coach's son, I think he'll be a great contributor in practice. Should have a really high basketball IQ and understand his role.

Calipari became a good, not great recruiter, under everyone’s nose. Does anyone really think he’d be trying to become a team of transfers if he could get top tier prospects at his past clip? I hope not.

Calipari burned bridges and lost connections. He duped UK into that contract and Barnhart should have known what was going on. He needs to go too.

I don’t know why this is even a discussion it’s plain as day. Now the Cowbois lost their infamous “but he’s still a goat recruiter” excuse. What’s next? Still has Beautiful hair?
It’s only plain as day to those that think they know what they are talking about and you obviously don’t. Recruiting rankings are based on the number of recruits you bring in. Cal just simply didn’t return as many upperclassman in the past as he did this upcoming year. If UK would have signed the normal 5 or so man class they would be in the top 2 as usual. It’s not rocket science. Maybe to you it is. You can either have experience or top ranked recruiting classes. Can’t have it both ways

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
I'll never understand Cal not going hard after another transfer with CJ's health as fragile as it is.I hope that doesn't come back to bite us next season.
It’s very simple. What player is going to transfer to UK to sit the bench behind CJ, Livingston, and Reeves?

Reactions: dl51344
If Sharpe were here, we’d have no qualms about this class so…..

But we got hosed on that so, it is what it is.

We have experience. We have a couple of good freshman coming in. This is the season to put up or shut up.

One way or another, Cal’s legacy will be defined and answered this Fall and next Spring.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
In reality, Horn is the son of NKU head coach Darrin Horn, who was also head coach at WKU for 5 years and at South Carolina for 4. He was also an assistant at Texas for 4 years and had a couple other assistant gigs.

He played for a pretty good WKU team (his senior year they went 27-4, won the Sunbelt Conf, and finished the year ranked #21 in the AP poll), starting 92 games and averaging almost 25 MPG over his 4 years there.

Walker Horn played 2 years at CJ's alma mater, Covington Catholic. Started a few games but mostly came off the bench.

As a coach's son, I think he'll be a great contributor in practice. Should have a really high basketball IQ and understand his role.
Same with Darbyshire but not the roster improvement we were looking for this year. Could have brought in some projects that might turn into something. 6’2” guards that didn’t average 10pts in high school is ridiculous.

I'll never understand Cal not going hard after another transfer with CJ's health as fragile as it is.I hope that doesn't come back to bite us next season.
why would a kid transfer in where he would be 9 or 10 on the depth chart? he is probably looking to be the man somewhere

Like I said, I personally as a fan am fine with Toppin and Oscar. Yes. Agree. Of course. The point really is the greater, overarching theme here and it is that Cal's recruiting has regressed. There's just no way around that. Maybe you would rather have transfers. I don't believe that Cal would rather have transfers.
Good think too recruits don’t win teams titles

I’m perfectly fine bringing in good quality transfers and bringing back the NPOY instead of a bunch of freshmen. All those recruiting titles haven’t won Jack in 7 years.
I would agree with the bringing back Tshiebwe and Toppin, but I can see why some would be leery of transfers after last season. A bunch of transfers didn’t get the job done last season.

I think we need a bunch of returnees rather than a bunch of transfers.

Been saying this for a while, we need some returnees, with a transfer or two and a couple of superstar elite level recruits to be the core of the team. Then fill out the rest of the team with recruits with potential that will stick around and become returnees.

New transfers every year are not going to get it done by themselves.

I would agree with the bringing back Tshiebwe and Toppin, but I can see why some would be leery of transfers after last season. A bunch of transfers didn’t get the job done last season.

I think we need a bunch of returnees rather than a bunch of transfers.

Been saying this for a while, we need some returnees, with a transfer or two and a couple of superstar elite level recruits to be the core of the team. Then fill out the rest of the team with recruits with potential that will stick around and become returnees.

New transfers every year are not going to get it done by themselves.
Yes sir. And the superstar elite level recruit is what we have been missing the last few years.

Yes sir. And the superstar elite level recruit is what we have been missing the last few years.
That and not enough returning firepower. Of the five starters, four had never played in a UK uniform before. That needs to stop. That’s not good team building. Our last Final Four team had three returnees starting (four before the Poythress injury). The 2012 title team had three starters back.

Got to have a balance of all three types of players.

I agree with your overall premise but I don’t know which transfers we aren’t getting that we want. Personally I can’t think of one that we’ve been really publicly linked to that we didn’t get the last couple years.

Now are there ones Cal and company should have prioritized and they didn’t? Sure. But I can’t think of many recruiting battles on the transfer front we’ve lost after getting seriously involved.
I think its about phrasing

publicly linked to as in who Kyle Tucker says we are pursuing versus the kids that we are pursuing but once we find out we have no shot, we no longer talk about them?

I find it hard to believe given the number of people in the transfer portal last year we landed the players that would best set us up for a championship drive.

Yeah the freshman sucked. Including the POY. It was all the 6th man that did it. Smh Miller only played 4 years though so there’s that.
I don't think anyone is saying it would have happened without AD. 2012 was a great mix of highly talented freshmen and great depth and experience from returning players.

I believe the reality is that a freshmen focused team, no matter how talented will not be able to sustain 6 tournament wins against increasingly talented teams.

You have to have a mix of guys who have been there before and can consistently deliver. We had a veteran POY on last years team and without a supporting cast, it resulted in one of the most embarrassing losses of the program

I’m perfectly fine bringing in good quality transfers and bringing back the NPOY instead of a bunch of freshmen. All those recruiting titles haven’t won Jack in 7 years.
that did not happen either
1 transfer from a mid major

That’s complete bullshit. You’re just another pessimistic fair weather fan who just wants to bitch and whine. We don’t need fans like you.
Damn dude. Your response is what's bullshit. Chill out. No one should take anything that seriously.

BTW: I'm not pessimistic or fair weather. And my comment wasn't bitching or whining. And I've been a fan a lot longer than you. I assume that because your response was childlike.

The makeup of this roster is almost perfect:

5 returnees- Tshiebwe, Wheeler, Toppin, Ware, Collins
2 transfers- Reeves, Fredrick (I am considering him a transfer because he hasn’t played for us yet)
2 star recruits- Wallace, Livingston
1 multi-year recruit- Theiro

Need a couple more multi-year recruits.

So in that aspect, the makeup of this team looks good. Not saying it will translate to wins on the floor, though. Lots of variables to consider.

Teo busts and a ghost never seen playing.....Gold standard fellas
Sure he isn't getting the top echelon anymore, Duke is. They are the only school that's beating cal on the recruiting front.
Whether people want to admit it or not, Sharpe was signed for the 22 class. We once again would be 2nd in rankings. It makes for a better story to disregard that though.

Same with Darbyshire but not the roster improvement we were looking for this year. Could have brought in some projects that might turn into something. 6’2” guards that didn’t average 10pts in high school is ridiculous.

Are you honestly going to complain about adding 2 Walkons?

It’s only plain as day to those that think they know what they are talking about and you obviously don’t. Recruiting rankings are based on the number of recruits you bring in. Cal just simply didn’t return as many upperclassman in the past as he did this upcoming year. If UK would have signed the normal 5 or so man class they would be in the top 2 as usual. It’s not rocket science. Maybe to you it is. You can either have experience or top ranked recruiting classes. Can’t have it both ways
Cal didn’t sign 5 players in the class because he couldn’t. It’s simple

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Calipari became a good, not great recruiter, under everyone’s nose. Does anyone really think he’d be trying to become a team of transfers if he could get top tier prospects at his past clip? I hope not.

Calipari burned bridges and lost connections. He duped UK into that contract and Barnhart should have known what was going on. He needs to go too.

I don’t know why this is even a discussion it’s plain as day. Now the Cowbois lost their infamous “but he’s still a goat recruiter” excuse. What’s next? Still has Beautiful hair?
Yeah , what happened to his “changing lives” bullshit .

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, but it points to a pretty obvious regression in Cal's recruiting. I'm glad he is bringing in the quality transfers but I also think his hand was forced because his recruiting has waned. He's scrambling to fill out rosters with transfers because he isn't recruiting at the level he once was. This was maybe partly a choice by Cal, but I don't believe it was all his choice. He always used to say you have experience I'll take talent, and I'll beat you. Just my opinion.
But the “slurpers” think it’s Cals plan . lol

I would rather have Oscar and Toppin than Lively or Bona. That’s my personal preference. Whatever that means I don’t know, but personally I like the good, experienced upperclassmen
Well yeah , probably everyone would. But Oscar is a unicorn. We haven’t gotten anyone else in the same stratosphere as Oscar from the transfer portal, and we probably won’t ever again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT