ADVERTISEMENT

BBN Treatment of Hami

He just needs to play D when he's in and cheer on the bench. If he shoots another three I might cry.

Yes, I've been critical. Yes, I've question his basketball IQ. But, within reason. Some of you are flat out embarrassing. It's one thing to be critical, it's another thing to bash a kid and call him "worthless" and "pathetic". Grow up folks. It's a game and he's a teenager. I ask some posters on here to be better. You can criticize without being ugly.
I 100% agree. I hated seeing Archie and Harrow being the ones who were blasted and even more egregious was the Harrison twins bashing that still goes on today. Diallo seems like a good kid and I absolutely hate the way this fan base is attacking him. People forget these are f*****g kids man. None of them deserved this. We are better than that. I understand its all apart of being a UK player but still...Damn.

So the rule is you can't make comments on observations if they are negative? Sorry, I care about the team, how we perform, etc. Diallo wants to be a pro. It has to be earned or even if drafted (which I don't see), he still has to earn his way into playing at that level. He once again argued on the bench after that charge, but obviously learned from that mistake when he didn't do it again in the second half. Yet, he cost the team several points with poor decisions and one missed defensive assignment. It seemed to me that Cal is doing everything he can to support him but finally is making the decision to not let him cost us games. If that is bad to say, well lets get rid of this board.

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER
I’d say if he played less he’d be less criticized

I think this is a myth, his time on the court has been drastically shortened.

He only played 10 minutes tonight.

He only played 15 minutes the previous game vs Bama.

16 minutes vs Auburn.

20 minutes vs A&M.

13 vs Tennessee.

Until Hami changes his mindset, he doesn't need to be out on the floor. In the first half, when he pushed the defender on a fast break drive and was called for foul, his reaction on the bench was priceless as Cal was trying to talk to him. In the second half, on a long defensive rebound by Ark player, Hami went for a half ass steal which allowed Arkansas player to go in for a layup. Both Cal and Barbee screamed at him on the bench and his reaction was "what did I do wrong"? You can't play him for more than a couple of minutes per half until he starts making positive plays. Isn't Cal's motto you need to earn your minutes?

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER

Cal tells us he isn't giving up on Hami and then tonight that is pretty much what he does - and the result is we have one of the best team games of the season.. Cal shares in the blame for the fan focus on Diallo. Instead of diffusing it he doubled down in the media. The danger of coach speak and 24/7 recruiting.

Until Hami changes his mindset, he doesn't need to be out on the floor. In the first half, when he pushed the defender on a fast break drive and was called for foul, his reaction on the bench was priceless as Cal was trying to talk to him. In the second half, on a long defensive rebound by Ark player, Hami went for a half ass steal which allowed Arkansas player to go in for a layup. Both Cal and Barbee screamed at him on the bench and his reaction was "what did I do wrong"? You can't play him for more than a couple of minutes per half until he starts making positive plays. Isn't Cal's motto you need to earn your minutes?

The offensive push off call was total BS, wasnt close to being a foul.

The time Barbee ripped on him he ventured in a little for the rebound when he had defensive responsibilities as the back guard and the Hogs had a break away. You could see Barbee yelling Get Back!

Last edited:
I like Hami's attitude right now. I didn't like it much a month or so ago. He's a good kid, but he sometimes does some very selfish stuff. Understandable. HE'S A KID. Kids do STUPID SELFISH things.
If he could just contribute on D and make good stops, he'll be an asset to this team. I just think he's trying to be something he's not right now. And when that happens? You CAN'T play on the court. Especially at this time of year when winning is the most important thing going into the tourneys.

I feel bad for him right now . He came in to this season looking like a pretty confident kid and now you can clearly see he’s down on himself .

The offensive push off call wall was total BS, wasnt close to being a foul.

The time Barbee ripped on him he ventured in a little for the rebound when he had defensive responsibilities as the back guard and the Hogs had a break away. You could see Barbee yelling Get Back!

No, it was a foul on Hami as he pushed off with his right arm. I didn't see it initially, but the replay is clear from the other camera angle. The problem with the play is that all he needs to do is take it to the basket hard and will get fouled.

Reactions: Bluvelvet
Yes, I've been critical. Yes, I've question his basketball IQ. But, within reason. Some of you are flat out embarrassing. It's one thing to be critical, it's another thing to bash a kid and call him "worthless" and "pathetic". Grow up folks. It's a game and he's a teenager. I ask some posters on here to be better. You can criticize without being ugly.

It's just venting during a basketball game. I'm pretty sure Hami has been called worse.

This isn't a very "Marine" position.

No, it was a foul on Hami as he pushed off with his right arm. I didn't see it initially, but the replay is clear from the other camera angle. The problem with the play is that all he needs to do is take it to the basket hard and will get fouled.

I saw the replay as well, i still think it was a BS call from an official 40 feet away from the opposite side. Looked as if he kept his elbow in.

If you can find it i'd love to see it. It sucks UK killed Millionths site...

On another note I dont know how Shai gets away with his off arm push off so much....

I hate watching the kid go out and struggle. I think he's hit rock bottom. That said no where to go but up and I hope he is huge for us in the tournament. It's a lot like skal 2 years ago, started out great but was terrible down the stretch I hope diallo turns the corner

The play that I still laugh at was against Alabama (I believe) when Hami start flexing his biceps after a bucket and foul. It was the first positive play he has had in past 2+ weeks and his reaction was to flex!!

#1 - Don't be a dick to any player that ever chooses to come to Kentucky.

#2 - Criticism is fair, no matter if you're a top recruit.

And while I loved Diallo having some fire on and off the bench, he still is far off from what we need him to be. But he's working on it, you can tell. Still not sure why he started tonight though. How many more times can we have poor starts with him in there? He needs to come off the bench.

Reactions: Bluvelvet
I saw the replay as well, i still think it was a BS call from an official 40 feet away from the opposite side. Looked as if he kept his elbow in.

If you can find it i'd love to see it. It sucks UK killed Millionths site...

On another note I dont know how Shai gets away with his off arm push off so much....

I don't know how Knox gets away with some of his drives as he is using his off arm to create space. But after watching the Arkansas center Gafford give Vanderbilt a shot to the back of the neck in the first half and PJ Washington two body shots knocking him on the floor in the second half, I can see the officials not calling Knox or Alexander for fouls.

Hami has got to find a way to use his athleticism as a strength. He has got to develop a floater, short jumper or some way to score besides shooting 3's or driving for layups. His game is the result of being so much more athletic than his competition at every level he's played so far. But, now he's playing men.

He has the athletic ability to be a great defender, but he doesn't seem to take pride in it. His lateral speed and quickness are sufficient to be effective, but he takes risks and doesn't use his length to his advantage.

I would LOVE to see him bare down. He was so convinced that he was ready to leave after this season, that he took things for granted. He now realizes that his NBA Draft status has diminished to the point that he must do something to make up for it. This has caused him to force too many things, which in turn has caused him to fail and lose his confidence.

If he can turn it around, he and this team will benefit greatly!!

Well said!!

I think this is a myth, his time on the court has been drastically shortened.

He only played 10 minutes tonight.

He only played 15 minutes the previous game vs Bama.

16 minutes vs Auburn.

20 minutes vs A&M.

13 vs Tennessee.

I understand what you’re saying that he’s playing less and still be criticized. But he still starts every game and if you added all those games together, I guarantee it’s one terrible stat line. Cal playing him in key situations (Auburn game) when he clearly is not the answer is what frustrates most people.

I understand what you’re saying that he’s playing less and still be criticized. But he still starts every game and if you added all those games together, I guarantee it’s one terrible stat line. Cal playing him in key situations (Auburn game) when he clearly is not the answer is what frustrates most people.

i dont disagree, and i think you are right. Along with starting, he is in at crucial times some games and it appears as though he is playing more than he is lately.

Reactions: Nubb16
Hami has got to find a way to use his athleticism as a strength. He has got to develop a floater, short jumper or some way to score besides shooting 3's or driving for layups. His game is the result of being so much more athletic than his competition at every level he's played so far. But, now he's playing men.

He has the athletic ability to be a great defender, but he doesn't seem to take pride in it. His lateral speed and quickness are sufficient to be effective, but he takes risks and doesn't use his length to his advantage.

I would LOVE to see him bare down. He was so convinced that he was ready to leave after this season, that he took things for granted. He now realizes that his NBA Draft status has diminished to the point that he must do something to make up for it. This has caused him to force too many things, which in turn has caused him to fail and lose his confidence.

If he can turn it around, he and this team will benefit greatly!!

The mental problems with Hami right now is that he has a low basketball IQ and he thinks he is better than he actually is. Until he fixes his mental game, he will continue to struggle in every facet of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT