ADVERTISEMENT

Bama's offense will be a big test for UK's D

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
The promise is still there, but, so far, it’s been continually drowned out by the inconsistency of these Cats, and the end of the regular season is drawing nearer. The Alabama game Saturday afternoon will provide the biggest test yet for UK’s defense, and how those 40 minutes go should be a late-season indicator of just where the Wildcats are with only four additional games remaining until the SEC Tournament. The Crimson Tide’s offensive numbers this season speak for themselves.

They like to play at a quick pace — 12th nationally in adjusted tempo with the third-shortest time of possession in the country — and they’re highly efficient from all over the court, ranking in the top 15 in 2-point, 3-point and free throw percentage. Bama is also No. 2 nationally (behind North Florida) with 11.7 made 3-pointers per game. In last season’s game, the Tide exposed UK big man Oscar Tshiebwe in ball-screen situations, getting him out of position so often that the reigning national player of the year was actually benched in an embarrassing 78-52 rout.

Tshiebwe took the brunt of the criticism in that one, but Bama’s approach was an overall indictment of that UK team’s defense as a whole. Oats and his electric offense — headlined by SEC leading scorer Mark Sears — will surely throw different looks at Kentucky again this weekend, picking at the various flaws the Cats have shown all season long.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article285799521.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Yep. There was a time I thought we would just simply outscore them. And we would be at Rupp, so...

But now, our offense seems to regress every game. And that home court advantage? Yeah, right.

If we got a good home whistle I'd be more optimistic, but we don't.

I'm afraid we have a good chance to pick up our 5th loss at Rupp this season. That number is crazy.

Haven't seen the line yet, but I'd expect it will be close to a pick em.

May be all wrong but I like our chances in this one. Z, Burks and Bradshaw might be able to contribute in this one due to how the game will be played.

I can't believe it's to the point of Bama having to have an off night for Kentucky to beat them. We can't touch them in football, and they shouldn't be able to touch us in basketball either, especially at Rupp. Alabama has always had the same type of athletes they have now, and always fold in the NCAA tournament. Kentucky needs to come out aggressive and let them know beating Kentucky in Rupp is easier said than done. Kentucky leads this series 114 to 40, Cal needs to let the team know WE have dominated this series, to go out and play like it. Everybody acts like they are scared of Alabama, this isn't football.

We have quick guards, including one of the best players at getting steals in the history of Kentucky basketball. We should try and force turnovers to end possessions. Turnovers have been a weakness for the Bama offense for just about every season Oats has been there.

That makes too much sense so we won't. We will stick to what we've been doing with Cal defensively for the better part of a decade and hope and pray a few boards bounce our way and they miss some open looks.

It’s a very scary matchup on paper. Alabama doesn’t do anything crazy scheme wise, but their offense works because they have the right personnel for what they want to do and they play very well together. They’ve been starting a 4 guard lineup with essentially two point guards in Sears and Estrada who like to penetrate. Sears is definitely the better finisher of the two if they go all the way to the rim, but both are adept at finding an open shooter or cutter when the defense helps off as both are a tick over 4 assists per game. Part of the reason that works so well is that the wing shooters in their 4 guard lineup are deadly with Wrightsell at 45% and Griffen at 40% both on a high volume of attempts, and of course Sears himself is also at 44%. We’re going to have to be a lot more disciplined than we normally are, because if we get caught ball watching or sagging into the lane without real purpose like we’ve been prone to, that’s exactly what they want. They’re also starting Nelson as a stretch 5 now, and he could be a challenge for our bigs. He’s not a great outside shooter (27% from 3) even though he’ll take one on occasion, but he’s a good driver for his size and they also like hitting him on the pick and roll, so our bigs are probably going to be tested on their mobility, which hasn’t been their strength so far.

Their clear weakness that’s cost them just about every game they’ve lost this year is their interior defense and rebounding. Nelson is a decent shot blocker, but they have zero bulk inside and have been torched by skilled low post scorers pretty consistently. Unfortunately, we don’t have any of those, so we’ll need to hope for a big day from Thiero and Onyenso getting some offensive rebounds and easy putbacks. Not an impossible game to win by any means, but it definitely seems like a poor stylistic matchup for us on paper. We’ll need to bring our A game on both ends of the court.

Yep. There was a time I thought we would just simply outscore them. And we would be at Rupp, so...

But now, our offense seems to regress every game. And that home court advantage? Yeah, right.

Cal has singlehandedly destroyed everything this team was once great at.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Will Wrightsell play? Held out against FL. Shoots 45% from the three and is a good defender. I know you could put their walkon's out there and they would hit 3's because of not defending them. Oat's motivating his guards telling them it is a game 'will be going against pro's and to see where they stand against players like this.' Seems that every coach uses that as motivation.

Do we hold Bama under 100?

Not an impossible game to win by any means, but it definitely seems like a poor stylistic matchup for us on paper. We’ll need to bring our A game on both ends of the court.
I agree.
I wouldn't bet on whether we will win or lose, but I would bet on Cal not introducing any new wrinkles on defense. 😐

6e8f7bbdbc3220c4cc751d877cd40fc0426cb3c2.gif

Reactions: wobycat
Oats commented on Kentucky saying:

1. Most talented roster in the country

2. Potential to be an elite defensive team

Coach speak? Sure-but also addressed a major weakness he sees should be a strength and adds to the pressure about the talent of the roster.

Reactions: Smashcat

Coach speak? Sure-but also addressed a major weakness he sees should be a strength and adds to the pressure about the talent of the roster.
Would love to see Oats with this roster.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan

I'd be doing the same thing in his position. It's a win-win for him.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT