ADVERTISEMENT

Dontae Allen

Oct 30, 2009
He’s had a volatile career. Shot ~38% from outside last year on decent volume. I’m guessing he’ll get that percentage up closer to 35% from outside by the end of the year, if he keeps getting minutes.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This is his 5th year in college and still only a 6 ppg guy at a mid major …and scoring is supposed to be his thing. Looks like collegiate success is just not meant to be for him.

But he’ll still always have that insane 42 ppg scoring average as a HS senior. How many guys not named Wilt Chamberlain can say they ever did that?

This is his 5th year in college and still only a 6 ppg guy at a mid major …and scoring is supposed to be his thing. Looks like collegiate success is just not meant to be for him.

But he’ll still always have that insane 42 ppg scoring average as a HS senior. How many guys not named Wilt Chamberlain can say they ever did that?

Little success and would have thought more NIL warming the bench at UK. Seems like a lose lose for him since leaving.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Was on Western campus month ago and needed directions to specific building. Saw a guy coming toward basketball facility. Head down. I walked toward him and asked to see if he knew building, it was Donte. He didn’t know. But he looked distraught for sure, like he was really pissed about something. I didn’t say anything else to him. That’s all.

The amount of ppl on here clamoring for Allen to get big time minutes was crazy to me. If he wasn't hitting from deep, he was worthless. Couldn't defend to save his life, couldn't create his own shot, couldn't create for others, wouldn't rebound...will never understand the infatuation with him, other than the fact he was from KY.

The amount of ppl on here clamoring for Allen to get big time minutes was crazy to me. If he wasn't hitting from deep, he was worthless. Couldn't defend to save his life, couldn't create his own shot, couldn't create for others, wouldn't rebound...will never understand the infatuation with him, other than the fact he was from KY.
It was a constant Allen love/Cal hate salad.
Cal was right about PT after all it seems.

The last part is all that matters to some on here.

Reactions: coachcombs57
Man I wanted him to do so well. He was a polarizing figure while he was here, not his fault at all. He became the catalyst for a big division in the fanbase. I’m sure that was hard to be a part of. Sadly though he just was not at the level he needed to be at to play at Kentucky

I’m sure for some the KY thing is all that mattered.

For me it was more of the team was awful, what 9 wins?

If Allen plays and develops he could be a piece that helps the program.

Everyone above him that year also was not good and were all but certain to be NBA or transfer bound.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though and seems like he wouldn’t have panned out regardless.

Still hope he does well.

To be fair when people were asking for him to play we were struggling big time .

Very simple. Cal treated him differently during the BJ Boston year when it wasn’t warranted. He didn’t play at all in Louisville game and instead had Clark playing on a bum ankle the whole time which was the last game he played all season until the SEC tournament. He reluctantly started playing him after the miss st. Game but he was still never “his guy”. BJ Boston remained his guy all year despite worse play than he was getting from Allen. Allen eventually was relegated back to the bench despite adequate (not great) production yet BJB kept on keeping on. Really never was about Allen the player, and that just carried into the next year. Will never forget the Alabama game. Bama 9-9 (or something crazy like that) from 3 to start the game. Allen comes in and his man hits a three and cal went apeshit and pulled him from the game. The first 9 didn’t bother cal at all but the one Allen gave up was just too much. Screw that bastard. Was never about Allen the player, rather cal and his treatment of him and not necessarily his PT.

Seen any other players under cal get inserted into games and play 5-7 seconds and pulled. Nope, but he did that to Allen twice in his last season here. Screw that bastard!! I would have taken my jersey off and dropped it at Cal’s feet and told him to go **** himself during that bama game. Go out with a bang!!!!

The guy basically missed 2 of the most important years for his development. He never recovered. I think he also lost some explosiveness in which he was never really hugely explosive to begin with.

To be fair when people were asking for him to play we were struggling big time .
We were struggling big time AND the first time he got real playing time he gave a star performance carrying us to by far our best win of that season (and after Cal got kicked out).

So I don't think it's fair to suggest people only clamored for him because he's a Ky kid. There were other reasons why it once appeared to make good sense.

Unfortunately it turned out that he only played that way in games against Mississippi State. Go figure.

He wouldn’t work for playing time.

He never worked to get open.

He has the talent to play for anyone. He has the work ethic to play for no one.

It was a constant Allen love/Cal hate salad.
Cal was right about PT after all it seems.
The amount of people here who legitimately thought Cal was keeping Allen on the bench just to piss off the fans was comical. People really thought a successful Allen would cause UK fans a little joy and because of that Cal was sabotaging the kid because he hates us. It's a large reason why I only take about 5% of the Cal criticism on this board seriously.

Same guy that criticizes people for bashing players.
Criticizing players is fine. Personal attacks aren't. Feel free to talk all day long about holes in Wheeler's game the last two years. Calling him "that midget" or "dwarf" of whatever else people have said about him recently isn't. Doesn't seem like it's that hard to figure out to me.

Reactions: lsb34m3
I tried to tell people he simply wasn’t very good at basketball. I was told it’s because he’s scared of Cal and if he got the minutes others got he’d be way better. Surprise he’s trash.

The 6-foot-6 guard is averaging just 6.4 points and 2.9 rebounds in 18.0 minutes per game — all of those numbers down from last season. He has come off the bench in all nine appearances for new Hilltoppers head coach Steve Lutz, and Allen is shooting just 28.6% from the field and 30.8% from 3-point range.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/ex-cats/article282772428.html#storylink=cpy
Seems like Calipari saw that kinda performance in practice a lot. I mean when he was hot during our worst year ever he should have played more but that’s pretty much why he rode the pine most of the time.

Some guys translate and some don’t. He is just a role player in college, and that’s better than most achieve in sports especially at the D1 level. Nothing to be ashamed of and he made some money. 💰

The amount of people here who legitimately thought Cal was keeping Allen on the bench just to piss off the fans was comical. People really thought a successful Allen would cause UK fans a little joy and because of that Cal was sabotaging the kid because he hates us. It's a large reason why I only take about 5% of the Cal criticism on this board seriously.
Look at Sheppard, people still think that even though he gets plenty of shots and plays close to 30MPG every night. Even runs point sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT