ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn best team in SEC

Thanks for the resume, you are clearly the bestest fan who ever fanned. You left out the time you polished the pea from Rupp's whistle.
I actually shooked Joe B's hand twice and Pitino once....I have seen Cal from the bleachers a few times. I saw Big Dan Hall from Betsy Layne in person several times. I taught Oliver Simmons in high school and saw Ron Mercer play a bunch. The list goes on and on....

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
You and a couple of others have attempted to assassinate my character simply because I value championships over NBA draft day. Our coach does not. That is all I am going to say except I will assure you that yours and my opinion does not really matter. The money people who are dumping Millions into this program are expecting more than 30 players drafted and 1 title. If Cal does not win a title in the next three years and Duke or UNC does...you can expect a coaching change.....mark it down.

Wow that’s a dumb take. Duke is the favorite this year. So if they win by your logic Cal will be fired? That’s dumb.

Wasn’t making that comparison at all. Don’t take things out of context or read between the lines and certainly don’t try to judge my religion or my motives. I make comments and you guys take them personal and act like you are Cal’s defense attorneys. Cal is paid 8 million dollars to win championships he can hopefully defend himself. This is a free discussion board that used to be an intelligent discussion board. Now it is dominated by those who have been used to getting their way and a trophy for last place. It is a problem with America as well. That’s all I will have to say about this. I hope in 5 years I look like a total idiot in my opinions. Only time will be the judge. No one makes you read or comment on my threads. Just put me on ignore like I have you. QUOTE="Wall2Boogie, post: 7695392, member: 9584"]As a Christian, please don’t ever compare basketball and this ever again. Not a good look if you’re truly a preacher[/QUOTE]

Mom Vicars made the best pb&j. Was very generous with the jelly.

I can pass on a hello to uncle Doug if you want. I don't think he internets though.
Long way from Weeksbury to Seattle. I'm from Allen and we used to play Weeksbury in basketball in elementary school. I'm a couple of years older but bet we know some of the same people. Weeksbury players were always good sports win or lose and seemed to be a group of good guys.

The preacher in the movie Uncle Drew :pray::pray::pray:

276993621-4.jpg

Long way from Weeksbury to Seattle. I'm from Allen and we used to play Weeksbury in basketball in elementary school. I'm a couple of years older but bet we know some of the same people. Weeksbury players were always good sports win or lose and seemed to be a group of good guys.

My old man played ball there. By the time I was a kid, it was closed down. Me and my friends used to explore that place like it was an Egyptian ruin.

My old man played ball there. By the time I was a kid, it was closed down. Me and my friends used to explore that place like it was an Egyptian ruin.
We played Weeksbury in 1968 and they had a guy named Tippy Moscrip that literally lit us up. Next year we played them at Wheelwright and they lost every player from the year before. We ended up beating them by about 40 and our coach pulled the starters at halftime. They only had about six players but played hard.

Wasn’t making that comparison at all. Don’t take things out of context
As a Christian, please don’t ever compare basketball and this ever again. Not a good look if
We played Weeksbury in 1968 and they had a guy named Tippy Moscrip that literally lit us up. Next year we played them at Wheelwright and they lost every player from the year before. We ended up beating them by about 40 and our coach pulled the starters at halftime. They only had about six players but played hard.
Tippy was a neighbor and friend. Great player for Wheelwright

Wasn’t making that comparison at all. Don’t take things out of context

Tippy was a neighbor and friend. Great player for Wheelwright
I still remember him with his left handed 15-20 foot jumper. We played them when I was in the 7th grade and they beat us by about 25 on a neutral floor.

Nothing is further from the truth. I think most of the pollsters had Auburn ranked really high preseason...so we have now stooped to pulling our threads from November.
What's wrong about that? Is there some kind of statute of limitations on your words being taken at face value? Can I ignore this post from earlier in the day?

Listen....some of kids to need to talk with the powers that be and I mean the big money boosters not children on the internet. They are deeply disappointed in only one championship in Cal's tenure...
Oh yeah, I bet.

stop comparing it others... don't try to give the past history of past coaches...
Again, why not? How else are you suppose to separate realistic expectations from spoiled brat Veruca Salt bitching? "I want a championship every five years and I want it now, Daddy!"

Somebody could demand a championship every other year, and when criticized, say "don't give me the past history." What does that even mean? It's just a ridiculous thing to say.

Just admit that you're holding him to a standard that no coach in history could live up to.

The only coach who won championships at a rate that would keep some of you chuckleheads content was John Wooden, and you wanna know how long he had the UCLA gig before he won a single title?

15 years.

Cal is the greatest UK coach ever...if I read this board correctly...
If by "correctly" you mean "like someone on hallucinogens" - I've never seen anybody make that claim. But he's nearly matched Rick's production while getting closer to Tubby-level flack because some bimbos on here just don't like his style.

..we were after all preseason Number 1. Let's talk again in April.
And we're playing like it. That doesn't come close to guaranteeing you the title, for reasons that are obvious to anyone who understands basic statistics and the nature of a 6 round single-elimination tournament.

Wasn’t making that comparison at all. Don’t take things out of context or read between the lines and certainly don’t try to judge my religion or my motives. I make comments and you guys take them personal and act like you are Cal’s defense attorneys. Cal is paid 8 million dollars to win championships he can hopefully defend himself. This is a free discussion board that used to be an intelligent discussion board. Now it is dominated by those who have been used to getting their way and a trophy for last place. It is a problem with America as well. That’s all I will have to say about this. I hope in 5 years I look like a total idiot in my opinions. Only time will be the judge. No one makes you read or comment on my threads. Just put me on ignore like I have you. QUOTE="Wall2Boogie, post: 7695392, member: 9584"]As a Christian, please don’t ever compare basketball and this ever again. Not a good look if you’re truly a preacher
[/QUOTE]
Every coach at UK has been paid to win championships. Yet UK only has 4 titles the past 60 years. I will let you draw your own conclusions.

I'll have to ask my dad if he knows the Moscrips. Not familiar myself.

Just the facts and you cant see them through your Blue Blockers. So lets get this straight. You are totally happy with only one title in Cals tenure. You are totally happy with his inability to land top 5 players since 2015? I just want to make sure what we are dealing with. If this years team doesn’t win the title will you be happy and especially if most of them dont come back? So if Cal coaches 5-6 more years without a title you will be happy? If you answer yes to the above questions you need to root for Morehead. My expectations for UK basketball are higher.

It’s interesting that you fault Cal for his inability to land top players over the second half of his tenure at UK. Particularly when just a couple posts beforehand you made the following comment:

The jury is still out but no coach in NCAA history has had more talent in the past 10 years other than Wooden and won less titles”

Is it fair to say that in your estimation, Cal has underperformed because he’s had an abundance of talent and only one title and that Cal has underperformed because he can’t land enough talent? Lewis Carroll would be proud.

And your estimation of our talent level under Cal is not accurate. We’ve not been far and away the most talented team most years. You could argue that our teams consisted of players possessing the most potential, but they were not as talented as you would suggest. Their talent was not yet fully realized because of inexperience and skills that were not yet fully developed during their time at UK.

You see draft picks and are confusing that for talent. But the draft picks are more a reflection of how the NBA projected their development and less a function of their talent level when they entered the draft.

I think Cal has done a good job. But other coaches have won multiple titles while he has had one with more talent. The jury is still out but no coach in NCAA history has had more talent in the past 10 years other than Wooden and won less titles . I think Wooden had 10 titles in 12 years. I stand by position all along we should have had a minimum of 3 titles during Cals Tenure. You guys can celebrate final fours I only celebrate National Championships. Thats what UK fans should expect. I assure you Bama football fans don’t celebrate final fours or even runners up.
TNCatForever, you always chime in on these threads and tell on yourself. You can't throw in that caveat "with more talent" as a way to detract from his success because that is part of the package. His ability to sell this program and recruit top players is part of his unique gifting and part of what makes him perfect for this job.

Now sure, we all would have liked to win another title. We'd all like to have won every season Calipari has been here. We've been in the conversation every season he's been our head coach. We were even in the conversation the year we ended up in the NIT, before Nerlens went down with an injury. It would have been nice to be in the conversation in about 7 of Tubby's years when we were so far off the radar we couldn't be found. I remember Dicky V commentating a game for UK in one of Tubby's last seasons and commenting about the lack of talent on the team. It was pathetic. Do you remember those days? I remember losing to Vanderbilt at Rupp on a lane violation that was pathetic. I think maybe you've forgotten. I remember talking up Shagari Alleyne at the start of a season and hoping Bobby Perry would be double digit scorer or that Brandon Stockton would be dominant. Do you remember those days?

As I say, we'd all like to win a title EVERY SINGLE SEASON. We all wish that 2014-15 team had finished 40-0. They came very close to pulling it off, which would have been truly historic. They were right there. That 2010-11 team couldn't get Kanter eligible but still went to a Final Four. That 2013-14 team played poorly in the SEC but still went to a title game.

Look, these are good times for a UK fan. So, now you're telling me it's title or it's a failure? So, if this current team gets to a Final Four but loses the season is a waste of time? Man, I don't think I'll ever understand some of you folks. And yes, I would be disappointed in a loss. I'm always disappointed in any loss. But I don't start questioning the coach's legacy or start looking for replacements because of it.

I think some who complain are kids. They can't remember anything before Calipari. Others just hate the one and done and they "think" life would be grand without it. That way, they'd get to know our crappy players for much longer. Yes, I remember those days fondly back in the early 2000s. (Sarcasm coming...) We all got to know those players. They ALL stayed 4 years and held on to those scholarships. The people knew those guys well... and watched them lose again and again. We knew they'd miss the Big shot. We knew they'd be back next year. Man, those were the days! Huh? Calipari is the best thing to happen to UK basketball since Rick left for Boston in 1997. I will support him because of this.

Reactions: Fox2monk
TNCatForever, you always chime in on these threads and tell on yourself. You can't throw in that caveat "with more talent" as a way to detract from his success because that is part of the package. His ability to sell this program and recruit top players is part of his unique gifting and part of what makes him perfect for this job.

Now sure, we all would have liked to win another title. We'd all like to have won every season Calipari has been here. We've been in the conversation every season he's been our head coach. We were even in the conversation the year we ended up in the NIT, before Nerlens went down with an injury. It would have been nice to be in the conversation in about 7 of Tubby's years when we were so far off the radar we couldn't be found. I remember Dicky V commentating a game for UK in one of Tubby's last seasons and commenting about the lack of talent on the team. It was pathetic. Do you remember those days? I remember losing to Vanderbilt at Rupp on a lane violation that was pathetic. I think maybe you've forgotten. I remember talking up Shagari Alleyne at the start of a season and hoping Bobby Perry would be double digit scorer or that Brandon Stockton would be dominant. Do you remember those days?

As I say, we'd all like to win a title EVERY SINGLE SEASON. We all wish that 2014-15 team had finished 40-0. They came very close to pulling it off, which would have been truly historic. They were right there. That 2010-11 team couldn't get Kanter eligible but still went to a Final Four. That 2013-14 team played poorly in the SEC but still went to a title game.

Look, these are good times for a UK fan. So, now you're telling me it's title or it's a failure? So, if this current team gets to a Final Four but loses the season is a waste of time? Man, I don't think I'll ever understand some of you folks. And yes, I would be disappointed in a loss. I'm always disappointed in any loss. But I don't start questioning the coach's legacy or start looking for replacements because of it.

I think some who complain are kids. They can't remember anything before Calipari. Others just hate the one and done and they "think" life would be grand without it. That way, they'd get to know our crappy players for much longer. Yes, I remember those days fondly back in the early 2000s. (Sarcasm coming...) We all got to know those players. They ALL stayed 4 years and held on to those scholarships. The people knew those guys well... and watched them lose again and again. We knew they'd miss the Big shot. We knew they'd be back next year. Man, those were the days! Huh? Calipari is the best thing to happen to UK basketball since Rick left for Boston in 1997. I will support him because of this.
Great post. I agree 1000 %.

I'll have to ask my dad if he knows the Moscrips. Not familiar myself.
Tippy was a really good player both at Weeksbury and Wheelwright. I think the coach at Weeksbury was a guy named Gene Hall. He's long gone but I still remember the face.

I was just thinking of the days when we were excited about getting guys like Bobby Perry and Shari Alleyne. Also remember getting blown out on national TV at Kansas which led Dick Vitale to finally exclaim that our kids were not of Kentucky caliber. We've come a long way to get back to where we should be which is a contender just about every season.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I was just thinking of the days when we were excited about getting guys like Bobby Perry and Shari Alleyne. Also remember getting blown out on national TV at Kansas which led Dick Vitale to finally exclaim that our kids were not of Kentucky caliber. We've come a long way to get back to where we should be which is a contender just about every season.
Oh yeah Catscratch81, that is the very game I was referring to above. That was a gut punch for me, personally. Dicky V saying these are not UK caliber players was eye opening. Sadly, I couldn't disagree with him. Kansas was head and shoulders above our guys. That's what we had become accustomed to in those days. We were trying to talk up our players, trying to convince ourselves that we could compete with the top teams, and that was every season. Truth is, we had a good team under Tubby about once every 3 or 4 seasons. His recruits as juniors and seniors weren't bad. They weren't great, either. The best illustration of this was the team that had Hawkins, Fitch, Daniels, Azubuike, and Hayes. That was one of Tubby's best teams. They got a 1-seed and they lost to 9 seed UAB in the 2nd round, if memory serves.That was typical under Tubby. His best teams were average from a national point of view. But those are the days people want back- when players stayed 3 or 4 seasons.

Ah well maybe I’m too nice, but...

I have no problem with the OP
While I don’t always agree with his takes, I can at least understand them
We all want what’s best for our team, there is no doubt that’s what the OP wants as well

Reactions: JRCAT14
This is a free discussion board that used to be an intelligent discussion board. Now it is dominated by those who have been used to getting their way and a trophy for last place. It is a problem with America as well. That’s all I will have to say about this.
The kind of last place trophies they give out to the coaches with the best record in the country over the past decade?

Or the kind of last place trophy they give out to keyboard champions who spit out silly takes with no perception of basketball history?

I hope in 5 years I look like a total idiot in my opinions
If you thought you were gonna have to wait that long, have I got wonderful news for you...

Reactions: GnarlsBarkley
Maybe I wasn’t that far off base. They will play for SEC championship tomorrow

They are behind UK and UT............someone had to lose today but it still doesn't change the fact.

But and I know I'm in the minority here......I'd put them in the same boat as LSU

I only brought it back up because a poster dug it up from November to attack me and now he looks really silly for doing it

Fact is people underrated what Auburn did this year, same as they underrated what UF did.

LSU on the other hand.......overrated.

SEC W-L Pace PPP Opp. PPP EM
1. Tennessee 15-3 68.0 1.16 0.99 +0.17
2. Kentucky 15-3 65.8 1.11 0.95 +0.16

3. LSU 16-2 70.2 1.13 1.03 +0.10
4. Auburn 11-7 69.1 1.11 1.03 +0.08

5. Mississippi State 10-8 68.5 1.08 1.05 +0.03
6. Florida 9-9 64.1 1.03 1.02 +0.01
7. Ole Miss 10-8 69.1 1.06 1.05 +0.01

8. South Carolina 11-7 70.5 1.02 1.04 -0.02
9. Arkansas 8-10 70.7 1.03 1.05 -0.02
10. Alabama 8-10 69.7 1.01 1.03 -0.02

11. Missouri 5-13 66.0 0.98 1.06 -0.08
12. Texas A&M 6-12 68.5 1.00 1.08 -0.08

13. Georgia 2-16 67.2 0.96 1.12 -0.16
14. Vanderbilt 0-18 65.9 0.90 1.10 -0.20

I like to look at conference efficiency margin. Clearly UK and UT were the class of the SEC........but I would put Auburn in that second tier along with LSU. LSU won the conference but they got a bit of luck with all the narrow escapes

Auburn will be the beneficiary of floppy top already celebrating the championship...would not be surprised
in the least to see the floppers throw in a clunker tomorrow...

I only brought it back up because a poster dug it up from November to attack me and now he looks really silly for doing it

Are you talking about the same Auburn that flat QUIT the 2nd time we beat them? Have fun cheering for Duke, UT and Auburn next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT