ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn best team in SEC

Meh. Duke was up 17 in the 2nd half, up 11 with a few minutes left, had 5 turnovers in the last 5 mins, shot 25% on 3s and under 70% on FTs. And the game was never really in doubt against a veteran and really good team.

As long as we're stat mining, Auburn only shot 34% from 2-pt and only got 9 free throw attempts to Duke's 34. Duke hit 23 and we hit 5 - an 18 point disparity.

We took their best punches and hung with them, in Wiley's third game back after a year off and no Purifoy. There's every reason to believe Auburn is for real.

As long as we're stat mining, Auburn only shot 34% from 2-pt and only got 9 free throw attempts to Duke's 34. Duke hit 23 and we hit 5 - an 18 point disparity.

We took their best punches and hung with them, in Wiley's third game back after a year off and no Purifoy. There's every reason to believe Auburn is for real.
Nothing in his post indicated that he thought Auburn was a fraud...he ended his post w/ the quote "...against a veteran and very good" Auburn team. His post, I believe, was indicating how hard it's going to be to beat dook this year. They played their C- game last night and still ended up toying w/ a top 10 Auburn team.

I have to agree w/ his assessment: short of the warriors, they're the best team money can buy.

lol this thread surprises me.........not because people thought Auburn would be good (they still are good), but that very little thought we'd be the best team in the SEC and we are.

The OP humors himself by discrediting UK here to get people in an uproar and even admitted it. He’s being force-fed some UK success this year.
Nothing is further from the truth. I think most of the pollsters had Auburn ranked really high preseason...so we have now stooped to pulling our threads from November. Listen....some of kids to need to talk with the powers that be and I mean the big money boosters not children on the internet. They are deeply disappointed in only one championship in Cal's tenure...stop comparing it others...Cal talked the talk...we will catch UCLA...we will go 40-0...well he hasn't walked the walk...I spoke with a huge donor this weekend who said..."for what we have put in the program we have been greatly disappointed and were promised more championships than 1 in 10 years for the talent we have. Anything short of a title for this team is a disappointment.especially it it is Duke...that will be 2 during Cals tenure...so don't try to give the past history of past coaches...Cal is the greatest UK coach ever...if I read this board correctly.....we were after all preseason Number 1. Let's talk again in April.

Nothing is further from the truth. I think most of the pollsters had Auburn ranked really high preseason...so we have now stooped to pulling our threads from November. Listen....some of kids to need to talk with the powers that be and I mean the big money boosters not children on the internet. They are deeply disappointed in only one championship in Cal's tenure...stop comparing it others...Cal talked the talk...we will catch UCLA...we will go 40-0...well he hasn't walked the walk...I spoke with a huge donor this weekend who said..."for what we have put in the program we have been greatly disappointed and were promised more championships than 1 in 10 years for the talent we have. Anything short of a title for this team is a disappointment.especially it it is Duke...that will be 2 during Cals tenure...so don't try to give the past history of past coaches...Cal is the greatest UK coach ever...if I read this board correctly.....we were after all preseason Number 1. Let's talk again in April.

I'm in agreement to an extent. But there's not another coach that I'd want at UK right now. Give me a viable option and I'd think about making a change. But let me ask you this, would you like for Calipari to be coaching at louisville, duke, north carolina, tennessee, etc?

The funny thing about these threads is that all the people who were so sure about themselves then are typing things in threads now that they are also extremely sure about. It's like... how many times do you need to be proven wrong before you quit running your mouth ?

I'm in agreement to an extent. But there's not another coach that I'd want at UK right now. Give me a viable option and I'd think about making a change. But let me ask you this, would you like for Calipari to be coaching at louisville, duke, north carolina, tennessee, etc?
Right; it's crazy to even think about another coach who'd bring everything to the table Cal does- including the unique ability to deal with our expectations. Also (and this rarely gets mentioned, especially by our detractors), for everything Cal has in talent, he trades away almost completely in experience.

I understand the frustrations, and I've been as disappointed as anyone that he hasn't hung #2 yet. Like many of us, I think the answer is finding better balance in his rosters. Maybe that process is already underway...

Promised by who?

Maybe the boosters need to understand this is sports. Sports are unpredictable.

Cal never said we WILL go 40-0. He never said we WILL catch UCLA. He said those are things he would like to do at UK. You can't promise those things.

It's a one and done tournament. If they thought Cal was gonna go on a run of 3-5 titles, they were insane to begin with.

Reactions: JCBLUECATNC
...Cal is the greatest UK coach ever...if I read this board correctly.....we were after all preseason Number 1. Let's talk again in April.
Sounds like you're rooting against Kentucky, so you can come back to this board to say "I told you so."

Novel concept: if what you say sounds basically indistinguishable from what rival fans say about our coach or our program, you're doing it wrong, and others might naturally and reasonably assume you're not really a Kentucky fan.

I think Cal has done a good job. But other coaches have won multiple titles while he has had one with more talent. The jury is still out but no coach in NCAA history has had more talent in the past 10 years other than Wooden and won less titles . I think Wooden had 10 titles in 12 years. I stand by position all along we should have had a minimum of 3 titles during Cals Tenure. You guys can celebrate final fours I only celebrate National Championships. Thats what UK fans should expect. I assure you Bama football fans don’t celebrate final fours or even runners up.

Sounds like you're rooting against Kentucky, so you can come back to this board to say "I told you so."

Novel concept: if what you say sounds basically indistinguishable from what rival fans say about our coach or our program, you're doing it wrong, and others might naturally and reasonably assume you're not really a Kentucky fan.

That’s exactly what he’s doing. He admitted that he would rather have Coach K and his players and that he “liked to work the room” and that “you guys are too easy.” The thread was deleted so he can deny it if he wants to but he would gladly see UK lose, especially if Duke won so he could toot his horn. What a miserable existence here, IMO.

Promised by who?

Maybe the boosters need to understand this is sports. Sports are unpredictable.

Cal never said we WILL go 40-0. He never said we WILL catch UCLA. He said those are things he would like to do at UK. You can't promise those things.

It's a one and done tournament. If they thought Cal was gonna go on a run of 3-5 titles, they were insane to begin with.

He admitted the other day that he’s old and grumpy and expects a Championship every year. That’s the stupidity that you’re dealing with here.

He admitted the other day that he’s old and grumpy and expects a Championship every year. That’s the stupidity that you’re dealing with here.
Just the facts and you cant see them through your Blue Blockers. So lets get this straight. You are totally happy with only one title in Cals tenure. You are totally happy with his inability to land top 5 players since 2015? I just want to make sure what we are dealing with. If this years team doesn’t win the title will you be happy and especially if most of them dont come back? So if Cal coaches 5-6 more years without a title you will be happy? If you answer yes to the above questions you need to root for Morehead. My expectations for UK basketball are higher.

Just the facts and you cant see them through your Blue Blockers. So lets get this straight. You are totally happy with only one title in Cals tenure. You are totally happy with his inability to land top 5 players since 2015? I just want to make sure what we are dealing with. If this years team doesn’t win the title will you be happy and especially if most of them dont come back? So if Cal coaches 5-6 more years without a title you will be happy? If you answer yes to the above questions you need to root for Morehead. My expectations for UK basketball are higher.
Hey man, you made a ridiculous assertion. It was dumb then and it’s even dumber now. Don’t compound it my making further ignorant statements about Cal. Try to salvage what little respectability you have left.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, let me get this straight, instead of just admitting you were wrong, you double down and take shots at Cal?

Hey man, you made a ridiculous assertion. It was dumb then and it’s even dumber now. Don’t compound it my making further ignorant statements about Cal. Try to salvage what little respectibility you have left.

He’s “that guy” that sits down by you at the bar, orders an Ale 8 on the rocks and proceeds to tell you that he expects his team to win a championship every single year and that nothing else is acceptable. You roll your eyes feel bad for him that he doesn’t understand sports and move to another spot at the bar.

Reactions: MbergCat
I am a life long UK fan born in Weeksbuy Ky. I just expect more than some of you. I live in Nashville. I follow all of SEC basketball I attend one Vandy game a year...the UK game. I coached HS basketball. I have been on this board since its inception. I lived through Tubby ball. I national title some elite 8's and then to mediocrity. I experience the BCG hire. I thought it was a great hire until after about 3 games. I thought the Cal hire was and still is a home run. I don't like being an NBA g league program. I don't like the fact that Duke, Nova, and Carolina have won titles since we have. I don't like the fact that we are being recruited over. I don't like the fact that when Cal came he said he would catch UCLA and he would have a 40 and O team. Say what you want call me what you want...I am a UK fan more than any of you...I have seen games in Memorial, Rupp and lots of other places. I just have higher expectations than you guys do. Can't you respect that?

I am a life long UK fan born in Weeksbuy Ky. I just expect more than some of you. I live in Nashville. I follow all of SEC basketball I attend one Vandy game a year...the UK game. I coached HS basketball. I have been on this board since its inception. I lived through Tubby ball. I national title some elite 8's and then to mediocrity. I experience the BCG hire. I thought it was a great hire until after about 3 games. I thought the Cal hire was and still is a home run. I don't like being an NBA g league program. I don't like the fact that Duke, Nova, and Carolina have won titles since we have. I don't like the fact that we are being recruited over. I don't like the fact that when Cal came he said he would catch UCLA and he would have a 40 and O team. Say what you want call me what you want...I am a UK fan more than any of you...I have seen games in Memorial, Rupp and lots of other places. I just have higher expectations than you guys do. Can't you respect that?
I'd respect it more if you just owned a bad take, and not double down by taking shots at Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT