ADVERTISEMENT

Askew is not good enough to play at Kentucky

He is probably a great kid but he isnt. good to play point guard at Kentucky. He is slow, dribbles way too much and can’t get to the rim. His turnovers are not good. .
he is a normal freshman if cal would build a team properly he would be just fine to take a year or two to develop. this is on cal and the culture he created.

If he could only do one thing at a top level. Unfortunately he cannot
If he could shoot open jumpers like Travis Ford that would help. Instead he’s got terrible form and will never be consistent

Reactions: deep3
Anyone who says you can get faster has never played sports or trained physically. He’ll never be John Wall or Fox but he certainly can improve his speed and athleticism. Not only that but less athletic guards who can shoot and orchestrate an offense (both if which he can also learn and improve over multiple seasons) have led teams deep in March and won titles. Aaron Craft never did either but he was dang good college point guard who was nationally recognized as one of the best college point guards his senior season.

The kid is a freshman and was not ready to start. Mintz should be the starting pg and askew should be coming off the bench while learning. He also will need better players around him and a coach that can draw up some plays for him to work with. People who give up on freshmen have my sympathy. I used to be one. I gave up on Richards. Thought he was useless. Wanted him gone. Then he kept coming back and ended up as on of our best players (on his squad) his junior year.

Threads like the OP should be deleted. The kid is trying hard. And he is good enough. Just not this year and with no coaching.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
I’m not giving up on him but he has to find something he can excel in and unfortunately he does nothing outstanding that sticks out
Every player should have something they are exceptional at.
Jackson - Blocking shots rebounding
Allen - 3pt shooting
Other than that I got nothing
Hence 5-11

no but it isn’t his fault. in a decently ran program he is 1/ not asked to reclassify and 2/ able to sit and learn behind a junior or senior

he is a high school senior. of course he isn’t ready. very few are at that age. it isn’t his fault that he is being put in a situation set up for him to fail

the fact he is starting is 100% on cal

Won’t turn 19 until the summer, so he’s a weird age. Definitely not the same thing as Ashton Hagans being 20 years old as a freshman and people saying he should still be in high school.
Exactly, he was 18 for his entire freshman year. That's normal.

yeah I get that, but most first graders are also seven at some point during the school year.

I turned 19 my freshmen year. Askew won’t.
I didn't turn 19 til 2 months into my sophomore year at UK. On average, he may be 3 months younger than his class but this is his normal class.

that makes you young for your class not normal. The point is he’s young, not normal.
Yes, I was but had Askew started 1st grade at 7 and a couple months, he would be old for 1st grade. He is right where he should be.

Yes, I was but had Askew started 1st grade at 7 and a couple months, he would be old for 1st grade. He is right where he should be.

that’s the thing about summer birthdays, they cut one way or another. The vast majority of people are both six and seven during first grade, not one or the other. For the purpose of blue blood division I athletics, athletes typically air on the side of the older/more mature physically side than the young and needing physical maturation side.

yeah I get that, but most first graders are also seven at some point during the school year.

I turned 19 my freshmen year. Askew won’t.
Guess my point it he is on level. He is not young for his class.

Now there are other factors that contribute to his struggles. One being he is not a high level athlete. He is at best above average and that stands out at the high school level where most kids are just there to say they played on the team. And he does have a mature body for a young man. But he won't get any faster or explosive just by being a year older. He should have been a backup PG who gets 15min a game. Lead PG at a P5 school is not a role that suits his abilities.

My first UK backcourt in the 63-64 season was Randy Embry and Terry Mobley. From that point to now I can not think of one starting guard in the 57 years that has followed that Askew is better than.
Can you think of one? To paraphrase Coach Rupp, “it’s not your fault son, it’s my fault, I am the SOB that recruited you.”

Askew was a top 10 overall player in the 2021 class. Then HE reclassified. He chose to. He was projected to be a one and done. Unfortunately, he will be back next year.

Kid will be solid next year. Mark my words. The kid hustles, works hard, and will get better.

This is what multi-year players (that some of you claim you want) looks like as a freshmen.

Reactions: AirRaid08
Crappy thread. The kid is a typical freshman point guard. Not the same as we have been having under Cal. Guys like Wall and Fox are pretty rare. It’s pretty common for it to take some time for a kid to develop. He may end up being a very good pg for us. It is a shame that Cal has put him in a position he is not ready for. He’d be a nice back up for spot minutes behind Ashton.

He is in the proper class now by 1 month and 6 days. You are right, he is in his proper class but barely. He obviously should have stayed in high school. I apologize.
He is young and really didn't mean to argue. Some kids do start 1st grade at 7 but it's not the norm. That's all. As a jr or sr here I think he would be pretty good. No doubt he'd be strong by then. He just isn't ready for this level.

Reactions: jof2
I think the potential is there but he’s going to be a four year player, IMO. I wish threads like these weren’t on here. We shouldn’t be bashing our own players

Askew can be a great college player for us, who knows maybe a serviceable pro as well. Not sold on him becoming a great PG, but it is wayyy too early to say he will never become a good player.

Askew needs to transfer.
No he does not...he needs to stop with the NBA mindset and focus on getting better as a collegiate player for UK, lose about 10 lbs while putting on some strength, improve his shot from 3pt line, etc...

We need to stop that kids that aren't elite need to transfer...that is our #1 problem that decent but not elite kids leave here too early (Hagans, EJ from last year should be here right now)

Reactions: GoBigBlue30
Poor kid I fill sorry for him just not good enough for this level
It’s sad watching it
If Askew was a knock down shooter like a Travis Ford it might be different
But unfortunately his shot is a busted screw ball

Cal got y’all giving up on kids after one season lol

man he’s done a number on this fan base

No he does not...he needs to stop with the NBA mindset and focus on getting better as a collegiate player for UK, lose about 10 lbs while putting on some strength, improve his shot from 3pt line, etc...

We need to stop that kids that aren't elite need to transfer...that is our #1 problem that decent but not elite kids leave here too early (Hagans, EJ from last year should be here right now)
Agreed but Hagans and Montgomery are a FAR cry from Askew.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Kid will be solid next year. Mark my words. The kid hustles, works hard, and will get better.

This is what multi-year players (that some of you claim you want) looks like as a freshmen.
By the time you're at the D1 level quickness and shooting are hard to improve. He's backup material, especially at UK.

PG play is the main reason we are losing. If you don’t have a good PG it’s really hard to win games. Hopefully Askew improves in years 2 and 3. If he were coming off the bench behind Hagans he’d be perfectly fine. Unfortunately, he isn’t ready to drive the bus at this point.

100 percent our guard play is the reason we have been bad this year. We need an real elite PG next year. Get Clark to reclassify or go get Hunter Sallis.

Let's be real, Cal only went after Askew cause he was going to Louisville, even though Askew is not good enough to be the starting PG here. Cal should've let him go to Louisville.
That's spot on
Let's be real, Cal only went after Askew cause he was going to Louisville, even though Askew is not good enough to be the starting PG here. Cal should've let him go to Louisville.
That's spot on

Reactions: Mr.Morris
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT