ADVERTISEMENT

Askew is not good enough to play at Kentucky

I agree. But he isn5 going to get faster next year. He is not good enough to play here.
He doesn’t have to be John wall. He could be move of a sga change of speed type. If he can get people in position to score and shoot even decent then that would be huge assuming the other pieces Are good to great.

Reactions: LukaszObrzut87
He is probably a great kid but he isnt. good to play point guard at Kentucky. He is slow, dribbles way too much and can’t get to the rim. His turnovers are not good. .
Stupid post. He is a freshman and had to reclass to be a freshman. He missed out on all the summer work and exhibition games due to Covid. He also missed out on the easier regular season games due to Covid. He will be a vauable part of the team. He just needs a little time.

Not the kids fault. At any other school he gets to be a freshman not here. Our culture is broken and needs to be revamped. Even Roach at dUKe has been allowed to be a normal freshman. Not fair to Askew IMO.

It's not his fault and he tries very hard but I'm just not sure he will ever be a Cal type point guard that can meet the high demands of UK.It's a shame that Cal got him to reclass when it's obvious he wasn't ready at all

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
He is probably a great kid but he isnt. good to play point guard at Kentucky. He is slow, dribbles way too much and can’t get to the rim. His turnovers are not good. .
Kid should be in high school, I think he will be much better next year and look out year 3

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
He doesn’t have to be John wall. He could be move of a sga change of speed type. If he can get people in position to score and shoot even decent then that would be huge assuming the other pieces Are good to great.
Do you have any clue the skill set and instincts required to have SGA like moves? You don’t develop that in 1 summer.

SGA is a freak of nature. He bends, changes speeds, hesitates, moves at precise times. It’s an under appreciated skill set.

Who would you compare him to from past UK teams?

No one comes to mind from what we see this year. As a senior he could be an Epps to a ‘96 talented type team, maybe even as a junior.

But he will never be the answer in Cal’s offense since he can’t take folks off the dribble.

He has some ability to shoot in a structured offense. Could play at UVA for example but again not 30 minutes as a freshman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree with the OP, he was thrown to the wolves when others around him didn't produce. He should be coming off the bench, but has been thrust into action. This kid will be a lot better next year, stronger, faster and smarter. Let him grow like we let Alex Poythress.

I would say he's not good enough to play heavy minutes for us at this stage of his career. He should be getting back up minutes. I do think it's questionable whether he'll ever be a good high D1 guard.

He's a Freshman!!!
Exactly and a young one. He will be good in time. He looks slow right now because he's unsure of himself. Indecisive player play slow. He Loses his handle because he get hyper and a little rattled with ball pressure and is afraid to get in traffic and finish right now. Thats not a lack of talent, thats a loss of confidence. Do you really think he looked that in high school? He actually looked really quick and strong on a couple of drives last game to where I could see a little bit of that talent but he just didnt finish the plays with good decisions and that led to more more lack of confidence and more timid play.

But the kid plays really hard and wants to be better but the only thing that is going to bring that out is confidence, comfort and time.

My first UK backcourt in the 63-64 season was Randy Embry and Terry Mobley. From that point to now I can not think of one starting guard in the 57 years that has followed that Askew is better than.

He'll be fine in a couple of years as a backup... I think it would help him to lose about 20lbs..he's over 200lb..

Askew should be in his senior year of high school. He was put in a difficult situation and Cal has made it worse with his stupidity on the sidelines this year. I think he can contribute later in his career if he stays that long. He seems like a good kid and plays hard.
Only because he was held back 1 year. He is the normal age for a freshman.

He’s supposed to be a senior in high school, what do you expect? Sad that our head coach has built a culture and program where if you’re not a projected lottery pick your first year then you simply must suck (and will probably leave).

Let's be real, Cal only went after Askew cause he was going to Louisville, even though Askew is not good enough to be the starting PG here. Cal should've let him go to Louisville.

Reactions: Bigcliftycat
he sets the offense then can’t make a simple bounce pass off the dribble. he’s just still not up to speed so considering everything going on it was not a smart reclass. can’t blame him for taking a chance. but we took a chance and that backfired this year completely. he seems capable of playing savoy and could run an offense once he gets up to speed. right now it looks like he is playing the wrong sport.

he sets the offense then can’t make a simple bounce pass off the dribble. he’s just still not up to speed so considering everything going on it was not a smart reclass. can’t blame him for taking a chance. but we took a chance and that backfired this year completely. he seems capable of playing savoy and could run an offense once he gets up to speed. right now it looks like he is playing the wrong sport and we can’t finish a game because of it.

Won’t turn 19 until the summer, so he’s a weird age. Definitely not the same thing as Ashton Hagans being 20 years old as a freshman and people saying he should still be in high school.
He’s the age a freshman would be if they started the first grade as a six year old. So the normal age of a freshman in college.

Reactions: jof2
ADVERTISEMENT