ADVERTISEMENT

Askew is not good enough to play at Kentucky

By the time you're at the D1 level quickness and shooting are hard to improve. He's backup material, especially at UK.
I agree. The kid has passion, wants to win... No doubt in my mind. I have never seen someone short arm or strong arm so many five footers. He handles the ball reasonably well for a young man but this should be UK Basketball, not varsity high. I want him to stay, he needs to stay, in time I do believe he will get what he is looking for if he will be patient and go through the necessary process. He can become a great one and a UK beloved if he wants to wait and pay the price to become one of those. I really believe that. We will see.

Here’s the deal......either we want multi year players or we don’t. Askew can practice and train to be a much higher level player. That said he will be a beast in year 3. The problem is he’s not the prototypical Kentucky PG under Calipari. The guy that has all the tools but needs direction from Calipari over the first 3 months to get it together.

This season is a major timing issue for a guy like Askew. He needed a lead PG to show him the ropes before being THE GUY. Unfortunately, those guys are gone.

Here’s the deal......either we want multi year players or we don’t. Askew can practice and train to be a much higher level player. That said he will be a beast in year 3. The problem is he’s not the prototypical Kentucky PG under Calipari. The guy that has all the tools but needs direction from Calipari over the first 3 months to get it together.

This season is a major timing issue for a guy like Askew. He needed a lead PG to show him the ropes before being THE GUY. Unfortunately, those guys are gone.

Reactions: MakinMusic
He shouldn’t be playing. He isn’t ready. You are not going to play Allen or Ware but you’re going to play him. He is a great kid I am sure of that. But he isn’t good enough to play here at this point.

It’s gonna be real interesting to see how he reacts to Hickman or whoever cut into his minutes next year. How many minutes do you think he plays when and if Wagner gets here? I see him playing here one more year and he’s gone one way or another.

Reactions: qwesley
Pulaski, your correct, but your going to catch a lot of $hit for saying the truth. A lot of posters on here put Cal above UK, and they will attack you personally, for saying something about their hero.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I don't care how much shit I catch. I call it like I see it. I used to be a big Cal supporter, but his act and inability to change or adapt has wore me out. Nobody, Cal included, is bigger than the program.

Reactions: Mr.Morris
I don't care how much shit I catch. I call it like I see it. I used to be a big Cal supporter, but his act and inability to change or adapt has wore me out. Nobody, Cal included, is bigger than the program.

I'm with you, 100%. As you know, I catch a lot of $hit because I call it, like it is. I love UK over any coach, and have for over 70+ years.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I agree. The kid has passion, wants to win... No doubt in my mind. I have never seen someone short arm or strong arm so many five footers. He handles the ball reasonably well for a young man but this should be UK Basketball, not varsity high. I want him to stay, he needs to stay, in time I do believe he will get what he is looking for if he will be patient and go through the necessary process. He can become a great one and a UK beloved if he wants to wait and pay the price to become one of those. I really believe that. We will see.
I don't even feel he has a good handle. If I'm guarding him I'm in his jersey. He will pick it up every time. Plus if you notice when a defender pushes up on him he uses his off arm to try and push them while he is dribbling. Even he doesn't trust his own ball-handling.

Like you said it is not the kid's fault. Cal brought him into a situation that was not the best for his development. I'm not sure he starts at any D-1 school this year. Tough spot for the young man. He lacks much of the natural ability that some of the young men have to fall back on while they are learning the mental part of the game.

He is Being put in a bad position. He isn’t talented enough to play PG at this level. Cal is putting him in a tough spot. He tried really hard. But he just isn’t talented enough.

What have you seen from him skill wise that makes you believe he will be a "beast" in 2023? Seriously. Fill me in.

What have you seen from him skill wise that makes you believe he will be a "beast" in 2023? Seriously. Fill me in.

The truth is it’s nothing specific about him other than we’ve seen young guys with an average skill set who hang around a few years become valuable to our efforts to compete for a championship.

That said, he’s a competitor and aggressive. I can see that in him. I believe that time period will take an average shooter willing to work and turn him into a 40% or more guy. He will train with the Kentucky facilities and staff. He will get quicker, faster and stronger with an already strong frame. A 3rd year Askew is a completely different, high level college player, in my opinion.

No problem with Askew returning
But he needs to rebuild that shot - it’s goofy looking
He should be a sub

I am fine with him being a sub. But the Askew starting for us and playing 35 minutes should not happen again.

Askew’s PG skills have.
He should not be playing as much as he is. In a decently ran program, he is sitting and learning. He is being put in a losing position by Cal.

He is a true freshman. He needs time but Cal has trained this fan base to judge players in one season. It is absurd.

He is probably a great kid but he isnt. good to play point guard at Kentucky. He is slow, dribbles way too much and can’t get to the rim. His turnovers are not good. .
Fans need to chill on Askew..He is exactly what we need..a 3-4 year player..IMO he's a 2G..We want to complain about too many OAD, but bitch when Cal brings in multiyear guys then complain about them not being stars as Fr..Let's all be patient and let these kids like Toppin, Ware, Askew, Fletcher, Allen get a couple of years under their belt ..

Fans need to chill on Askew..He is exactly what we need..a 3-4 year player..IMO he's a 2G..We want to complain about too many OAD, but bitch when Cal brings in multiyear guys then complain about them not being stars as Fr..Let's all be patient and let these kids like Toppin, Ware, Askew, Fletcher, Allen get a couple of years under their belt ..
Askew doesn't in any way deserve 30 minutes of playing time right now.That's the problem.He would be fine as a bench player.But Allen and Fletcher gets zero minutes.

Reactions: tomjack00
Askew should not be in this situation. He should be the backup PG this season getting 10-15 minutes behind Cunningham or still playing HS ball.

Cal hires Cunningham’s brother and we would be sitting here complaining that we might not get a 1 seed if we don’t win the SEC tourney.

Can you imagine Cunningham, Mintz, Boston, Jackson, and Sarr?

What could have been!

Even without Cunningham, Askew should still be the backup. Cal should be going with Mintz at PG. That was not ideal, Mintz isn’t really a PG, but give me a fifth year Senior over Askew at PG.

I think Cal figured out Askew wasn’t the answer after about 4-5 games, and had the plan to use Clarke as the PG ( like he did with Tyreke Evans) but then Clarke got hurt.

By then, it was too late to move Mintz to the PG and Clarke was out of commission, so here we are with Askew as our starter.

Very unfair to Askew. He should not be our starter this year.

Hopefully, he will be better as a Soph.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
Askew doesn't in any way deserve 30 minutes of playing time right now.That's the problem.He would be fine as a bench player.But Allen and Fletcher gets zero minutes.
Allen nor Fletcher can bring the ball up or play PG..Allen can't dribble or pass..he's had 3 Ast on the year..they're not going to get his min at the point..both are forwards..Allen is behind Boston, Fletcher is buried behind several

Allen nor Fletcher can bring the ball up or play PG..Allen can't dribble or pass..he's had 3 Ast on the year..they're not going to get his min at the point..both are forwards..Allen is behind Boston, Fletcher is buried behind several
Whose fault is it that we have one true point guard on the entire roster?Cal could have recruited a lower 4 or high 3 star to go with Askew.He couldn't have been any worse.Cal built this roster very poorly.

The truth is it’s nothing specific about him other than we’ve seen young guys with an average skill set who hang around a few years become valuable to our efforts to compete for a championship.

That said, he’s a competitor and aggressive. I can see that in him. I believe that time period will take an average shooter willing to work and turn him into a 40% or more guy. He will train with the Kentucky facilities and staff. He will get quicker, faster and stronger with an already strong frame. A 3rd year Askew is a completely different, high level college player, in my opinion.
He won’t get quicker or faster he will get stronger

His confidence is in the tank that’s the problem

Just out of curiosity who has helped us win a championship with an average skill set?

He is probably a great kid but he isnt. good to play point guard at Kentucky. He is slow, dribbles way too much and can’t get to the rim. His turnovers are not good. .
And your posting is not good enough for this board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT