ADVERTISEMENT

Allen

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
I expected Allen to be in the wing rotation. Looks like Fletcher grabbed those minutes and even Toppin looks to be ahead of him based on tonight’s rotation. Competition is good and I have no problem from what I saw from Fletcher tonight. Allen played 50 seconds in the 2nd half and we had a 30 pt lead ... plus Brooks was out with injury.

Hope Allen picks up intensity on defensive end and earns him some minutes. You would think he would be hungry after missing nearly 2 years of ball.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I wouldn't read too much in to one game. One game in which he played in after being out for nearly 2 years. Tonight was basically his first college basketball game(just like the freshman). It actually makes sense a player like Toppin might be ahead of him. It's not like Toppin is a freshman. Also, like you said, Flether grabbed those minutes. He wasn't given those minutes. He earned them tonight. For all we know Dontaie Allen is on a minutes restriction to start. They can do this because we basically have an entirely new team and it will allow him to ease in.

Last edited:
I'd say the staff wants to keep his minutes down and play him in short bursts as they bring him up to game speed after the injury.

Plus, Clarke and Boston need the bulk of the wing minutes. Toppin and Fletcher can give you minutes at the 4 (and saw a few at the 5 tomight) so that opens up a bit more run for them too.

Just be patient with Allen. He has a role on this team. Beyond that, his value might be further down the road.

If Toppin continues to play like he did last night, Allen will get those minutes. Toppin was the only player I was disappointed in. He looked slow, and a little bit scared.
Hard to go off one game but last night didn’t answer my old question: why isn’t the staff letting Toppin sit out a year to beef up a bit and work on his jumpshot?
That said. We are deep and you better bring it if you want PT.

Allen is going to need to hit open shots at a high percentage in order to see some minutes this season. He is just a step down athletically compared to the other guys on our roster. If he stays patient and hungry his time will come here.
Agree. He seems a little stiff and timid compared to the other guys. He will need a high percentage to overcome his defensive shortcomings. That shot is a work of art though.

Allen scored 4 pts but gave up 6 pts.

His role this year will be similar to Juzang. And it took JJ almost a year to be at the defensive level Cal wanted for him to get on the floor.

Reactions: kl40504
Hope Allen stays and plays. He may be a year away from decent minutes but that he just made it back to big time competition is huge. The longer he goes without injury the better. Nice job by UK staff helping him. Will be fun seeing some 3s go down and to see him get his degree. UK is loaded at his spot what great depth.

Watch the game. Guy doesn’t guard his man very well. Focuses solely on the ball. Will get beat often if he doesn’t focus.

He was barely a top 100 recruit. He was always going to be a 4 year player. That being said, he can be the next Darius Miller. Home grown kid who carries a title trophy off of the bus and is a huge fan favorite.
Wont get Millers minutes.

I'd say the staff wants to keep his minutes down and play him in short bursts as they bring him up to game speed after the injury.

Plus, Clarke and Boston need the bulk of the wing minutes. Toppin and Fletcher can give you minutes at the 4 (and saw a few at the 5 tomight) so that opens up a bit more run for them too.

Just be patient with Allen. He has a role on this team. Beyond that, his value might be further down the road.
Bet you are right. Allen has been out so long, you could tell with look on his face he needs some time to get to full speed. The way he can shoot and score, he knows playing with high intensity is what will get him on the floor more but being out that long he probably needs to be weaved in slowly to keep his confidence up.

He was barely a top 100 recruit. He was always going to be a 4 year player. That being said, he can be the next Darius Miller. Home grown kid who carries a title trophy off of the bus and is a huge fan favorite.
I really hope so. I’m just afraid he’s not going to see a future for himself here and transfer, much like Juzang. Hopefully not.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Allen, Ware, and Toppin both looked a level blelow the others that hot playing time. I think when Brooks gets back, it will be a rotation of Askew, Mintz, Boston, Clarke, Fletcher, Jackson, Brooks, Sarr when games matter. The biggest surprise was Fletcher.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
What alien. I didn’t see no alien. Hell, that’s some like U6 would do. NCAA will be all over for playing aliens, don’t matter if they are little green one or big purple ones.....wait....

Allen. Never mind.

• Haha
Reactions: GonzoCat90 and awf
Give Allen some time. Hopefully he doesn’t transfer. He’s a guy i could see being our go to scorer with a year or two under his belt.

jodie Meeks wasn’t committing violent cuts or dropping 54 in an opponent’s gym his first two years either. Obviously not saying he will be the next Meeks, but give the kid some time.

This is how I see the minutes spreading when we play the big time games (Tenn, UL, Florida, tournaments).

PG - Askew 20 min/Mintz 20 min
SG -Clarke 32/Askew and Mintz split up the 8 min
SF - Boston 32...the backup????
PF - Brooks 25 min/Jackson 15 min (maybe Ware plays when we need a banger and takes minutes from Jackson)
C - Sarr 30 min/Jackson 10 min

TO me the unknown rotation is only between Fletcher/Allen/Toppin for those 8 min behind Boston. And only one is gonig to win it and the rest will be bench.

This is how I see the minutes spreading when we play the big time games (Tenn, UL, Florida, tournaments).

PG - Askew 20 min/Mintz 20 min
SG -Clarke 32/Askew and Mintz split up the 8 min
SF - Boston 32...the backup????
PF - Brooks 25 min/Jackson 15 min (maybe Ware plays when we need a banger and takes minutes from Jackson)
C - Sarr 30 min/Jackson 10 min

TO me the unknown rotation is only between Fletcher/Allen/Toppin for those 8 min behind Boston. And only one is gonig to win it and the rest will be bench.
Good post, but I think you underrate Askew's minutes (24). Cal likes him and won't split floor general minutes amongst two guys. I see him closer to 28-30 in key games. I think Boston's backup will include Clarke. The most interesting player to watch will be Brooks. I think he's a SF, not a true PF at 6-7 205. The problem is he has tons of competition at the wing with Boston, Fletcher, Clarke, and maybe Allen. We have a logjam at that position. It will be fascinating to see how Cal handles this much of quality talent 1-10. A good problem to have that we haven't experienced since 2015.

The other thing to consider is we'll see tons of zone, given we have multiple players that can destroy you off the dribble. That adds minutes to Mintz and even Allen.

By Jan....Allen, Toppin, Ware will be bench warmers and maybe Fletcher..I think these 4 are 1-2 years away

He can shoot the three. That's a skill every team needs. Clarke airballed a wide open three last night.

this logic is like saying these dudes who compete in the longest drive contests will be in contention on sunday in a major. great he can shoot the 3...but he cant play.

Allen may well be launching threes for Gonzaga or somewhere next year.
I know he loves UK and wants to play here, but he’d get mega minutes elsewhere, such as WKU or UL. I wouldn’t blame him at all to transfer. Cal’s already decided that Allen is the 9th or 10th man on this team if last night was any indication. Has there been proof that he’s so bad on defense? To me, that’s just a cop-out reasoning why he’s not playing more. The kid is a scorer if given playing time and not afraid he’ll be yanked after his first mistake.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I know he loves UK and wants to play here, but he’d get mega minutes elsewhere, such as WKU or UL. I wouldn’t blame him at all to transfer. Cal’s already decided that Allen is the 9th or 10th man on this team if last night was any indication. Has there been proof that he’s so bad on defense? To me, that’s just a cop-out reasoning why he’s not playing more. The kid is a scorer if given playing time and not afraid he’ll be yanked after his first mistake.

He'll be another in a long line of guys that went elsewhere and didn't play much defense but scored a ton of points, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT