ADVERTISEMENT

Too many tools in the box ?

At this point, I don't think any reasonable UK fan is going to claim not playing Bradshaw is a reason UK loses. Everyone sees it, Cal finally saw it, and even Bradshaw seems to know it, too. He's just not ready.

Would it be awesome to see him have a "Marcus Lee against Michigan" game in the tournament? Yep. But I don't think anyone expects any contributions at this point.
I was just giving you an example of how Cal can be in a no-win situation with certain factions of the fanbase. Obviously now we see it with Bradshaw, but earlier this was a complaint by some. Ugo and Big Z are opposite sides of the 7-foot spectrum, playing one of them (if it doesn't go well) allows for complaints or coulda/shoulda/woulda for the other.

As far as Bradshaw goes, the real role I see for him is down the stretch when we need stops, like on the road at Miss St and LSU, where it would be nice to just switch all 5 positions instead of getting cooked on ball-screens that put Ugo and Big Z in tough spots. Bradshaw can switch and slow down a guard. That's my vision for him, which like you pointed out, was something Lee could do (obviously his dunks as well)

It isn't just Bradshaw. Cal finally sat him and it's paid dividends.

Dj needs transitioned to a reserve role. Rob and Reed are exponentially better. Neither should sit unless they need a breather or foul trouble. In a single elimination scenario, we cannot afford to not have our very best start at the beginning of each half.

That will require hurting some feelings. Will he do it? Or will we start each half at a deficit and eventually cause our season to end?
Cal is not varying from the starting lineup. I don’t mind the start of the game as much as I mind the 2nd half. LSU for example we were tied after the first segment of the game which actually was 14:00 to go in the half at 16 apiece. After a hard faught first half we went on a run to end the half with a 9 point lead. Back to back 3’s got us to a 15 point lead quickly but then a 15-2 run by lsu made it a game again as cal sat and watched. That just cannot happen in a tournament game but cal is going to start the same players in the 2nd half that starts the game regardless how well anyone else played, how bad anyone else played or how well any combo of players played to get us a lead. It is such bad coaching to coach that way but that’s why he is CCC.

Cal is not varying from the starting lineup. I don’t mind the start of the game as much as I mind the 2nd half. LSU for example we were tied after the first segment of the game which actually was 14:00 to go in the half at 16 apiece. After a hard faught first half we went on a run to end the half with a 9 point lead. Back to back 3’s got us to a 15 point lead quickly but then a 15-2 run by lsu made it a game again as cal sat and watched. That just cannot happen in a tournament game but cal is going to start the same players in the 2nd half that starts the game regardless how well anyone else played, how bad anyone else played or how well any combo of players played to get us a lead. It is such bad coaching to coach that way but that’s why he is CCC.
I'm not sure I understood everything you were trying to say, so apologies if I'm off base at all here. 2nd half vs LSU we started DJ, Edwards, Reeves, Antonio and Ugo. We started the 2nd half up 9, quickly made it up 12 on an Edwards 3 off DJ assist. Then made it 15 pt lead thanks to a Reeves 3. LSU gets 2 back because Adou gives up an offensive rebound. Reeves misses a floater that he makes 90% of the time, then Adou gets cooked on a straight line drive for another 2 pts.

Reeves then gets 2 FTs off backdoor pass from Edwards. Then Adou gets torched off the drive again, 2 more LSU points. There's a pattern developing, and it's not good for Adou. Unlucky offensive rebound for LSU on an airball, kick it out for open 3. 15 point lead is now down to 8. Adou misses a floater, DJ bad turnover - Cal subs in Burks, Rob and Reed for DJ, Adou, and Edwards. At this point, the lead is 8, 1 point less than start of the half.

This group gives up a widen open 3 to immediately trim lead to 5. Reed doesn't pick up the ball in transition, they bang another 3 to trim lead to 2. So in 2 possessions subbing in, Cats have given up 6 points right away.

All this to say: I don't think who starts/subs in to start the 2nd half is any kind of magical potion. There's been games where the starters do well, and when they don't. There's been games where, like LSU, Rob and Reed come in (shouldn't have played Burks), and it gets worse.

The counter: haven't we lost every game that Reed has started? Or at the best, I think we're 1-3 in games that Reed started? Now obviously there's other variables at play as well, but Justin and DJ are playing much better. I think it's been working well, bringing in Rob and Reed off the bench to play against some tired opponents legs

We also lost every game when the sun rose in the morning. I too can make spurious correlations.

Definitely agree if he's going to do it at all, be needs to only do the first half. Prefer not doing it at all considering we can't afford to lose from here on. However I also agree it's very unlikely he will change.

Last edited:
The counter: haven't we lost every game that Reed has started? Or at the best, I think we're 1-3 in games that Reed started? Now obviously there's other variables at play as well, but Justin and DJ are playing much better. I think it's been working well, bringing in Rob and Reed off the bench to play against some tired opponents legs
Reed is 1-4 as a starter. Including the UNCw loss, Gonzaga loss, UF loss, and UT loss. 3 of them coming at home. He started and won when we beat Vandy.

Dj and Edwards are doing just fine starting. This is all about then being right over Cal. If he plays it his way and wins, their belief that they know best falls apart.

There’s a danger to Cal having too many buttons to push. He’s talked about if a guy doesn’t have it, pulling him and going with someone else.

What if the guy was just going through a tough 4 minute stretch?

He made this mistake at South Carolina benching Reed most of the second half. I would argue that he made a similar mistake having Rob on the bench to close the Gonzaga game.

I think he’s largely figuring it out. You don’t see Reed coming out much down the stretch, for instance.

But am I concerned that he’ll get in the tournament and “forget” to play someone? It’s crossed my mind.
Was thinking about this post today.

Mitchell playing 31 minutes while Adou got 7.

Reed on the bench for key stretches at the end of each half.

Reactions: qwesley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT