ADVERTISEMENT

Update - takes from earlier in the season

CatsFanIL

Freshman
May 29, 2019
Being a fan should be more about supporting your team than looking for every single reason (some of them fake) to criticize your team. That's just my opinion - support your team, not relish in criticism. Team looks pretty good right now, but still some "fans" looking for reasons to hate. Here's some of my favorites from the season so far:

We should NEVER play Justin Edwards - yeah ok, look at him now

DJ should NOT be getting any minutes - yeah ok, look at him now

Will we even make the NCAA Tournament - that's been answered for you

Can't play Ugo, he just clogs the lane - and blocks nearly every shot in the paint!

Cal doesn't let Reed shoot enough - lol, that's my favorite - what an absolute joke!

We aren't even a top 5 team in our own conference - well yes, yes we are

This team can't win playing man to man, HAVE to play zone - we can, and have been, winning with M2M defense

We're bound for disaster because we lost 3 home games in a row - So? We have arguably the best collective wins in the entire nation, primed for a top 3 seed in the NCAA-T, and most likely NOT being sent out west.

In other words, fans being fans in an ever-evolving season with in-the-moment takes of frustration. There's no "gotcha" here.
Sure there is. "in the moment takes of frustration" is a far, far cry from the reality of what many posters on here have been doing, and on Twitter, and posting on the actual social media of our own players. Burying your head in the sand doesn't help

Here's the thing, and I'm surprised some of you always miss this point:

It's a message board. You actually make a conscious choice to come to this website to have discussions. If we don't discuss the negatives--there's not very much to talk about at times.

I disagree with a lot of takes on here. But that gives me something to have a discussion about. If EVERYONE had the same thoughts, there wouldn't really be a point in coming here.

It's a message board. You actually make a conscious choice to come to this website to have discussions. If we don't discuss the negatives--there's not very much to talk about at times.

I disagree with a lot of takes on here. But that gives me something to have a discussion about. If EVERYONE had the same thoughts, there wouldn't really be a point in coming here.
This board has really, really declined in the last year or two. People just want drama and they want to be vulgar and call people names. There is a ton of stuff now that didn't use to be allowed.

Which one of those gems were yours? 😂

Reactions: NociHTTP
Which one of those gems were yours? 😂
If you look at my posts, I’ve argued the starters don’t matter as much as anyone has. I’ve been very pro DJ. I’ve been Pro Edwards.

My point is: without people wanting kids benched, and complaining about Cal, etc. We don’t have much to discuss.

If all we can say is “Kentucky is awesome, they’ll surely figure it out” then this place becomes real stupid real fast.

Being a fan should be more about supporting your team than looking for every single reason (some of them fake) to criticize your team. That's just my opinion - support your team, not relish in criticism. Team looks pretty good right now, but still some "fans" looking for reasons to hate. Here's some of my favorites from the season so far:

Can't play Ugo, he just clogs the lane - and blocks nearly every shot in the paint!

Cal doesn't let Reed shoot enough - lol, that's my favorite - what an absolute joke!

This team can't win playing man to man, HAVE to play zone - we can, and have been, winning with M2M defense

We're bound for disaster because we lost 3 home games in a row - So? We have arguably the best collective wins in the entire nation, primed for a top 3 seed in the NCAA-T, and most likely NOT being sent out west.
Yeah, I can't say much about any of those takes. I may not have posted on this message board about them, but I probably thought most of those things at one point or another. This has been a roller coaster ride of a season. We've seen the talent and we knew they had the potential to be great, but that potential wasn't being realized along the way. So, I can't fault the critics.

Here's what I'll say: I hope we see the full potential of this team before all is said and done. There is no doubt in my mind, when they are dialed in, this team can beat anyone. They just need to never get taken off guard. The defense has shown they can get some stops now, and that's really good to see. Just win baby! 😀

If you look at my posts, I’ve argued the starters don’t matter as much as anyone has. I’ve been very pro DJ. I’ve been Pro Edwards.

My point is: without people wanting kids benched, and complaining about Cal, etc. We don’t have much to discuss.

If all we can say is “Kentucky is awesome, they’ll surely figure it out” then this place becomes real stupid real fast.
Just messin’ with ya

Reactions: Cats192

Think you have embellished a bit or taken the worst of worst takes you could find to try and prove a point.

This fan base collectively rooted like hell for Edwards to show some signs of life. After 20 games it wasn’t happening. The mantra was he should have to earn his minutes with better play and not just given minutes. He finally did. Was that because cal kept playing him and he finally came around or because the shepherd family offered up their mental health coach to help him? Whichever one it was I am glad it worked as we are a different team with Edwards playing well.

Same for DJ- very few said he should never play, rather not play 30 minutes per game while dilly plays 18. DJ plays his best when on the floor with two other guards yet he still starts the game as one of 2 on the floor but I digress.

We were in jeopardy of playing ourselves out of the tournament or at the very least a horrible seed. To suggest otherwise is hindsight. Team came together and pulled out some wins that there for a bit did not look possible with how we were playing.

One thing has become clear with our bigs and that is by committee. I’m one guilty of thinking Z had seperated himself and should be getting the lions share of the minutes. Wasn’t just me either as many national pundits said the same indicating big Z is a difference maker and takes uk to another level. That is still true but there is a place for Ugo on the team when he is playing his role well. One thing none of of bigs offer is consistency every single game and with that it is a luxury to see which one of them have it for what is needed on that given night.

Again don’t think anyone ever said cal didn’t let Reed shoot it- I mean seriously I’ve never read that and I’m on here daily as well as seeing many comments on other social media sites. Not running plays for him, sure, questioning does he encourage Reed to shoot more or even tell him to shoot more. Some players need to be told to be more selfish than they are without forcing things obviously.

Lastly again this last point is merely the luxury of hindsight. We were literally in 5th place of the conference standings the last half of the SEC regular season. And still easily could have ended up 5th with a loss at UT and other games falling correctly. Fortunately we pulled out the W and that didn’t happen.

Your post really did nothing but try and build division amongst the fans heading into the most exciting part of the season. Maybe that was your intention, who knows!!!!!

Think you have embellished a bit or taken the worst of worst takes you could find to try and prove a point.

This fan base collectively rooted like hell for Edwards to show some signs of life. After 20 games it wasn’t happening. The mantra was he should have to earn his minutes with better play and not just given minutes. He finally did. Was that because cal kept playing him and he finally came around or because the shepherd family offered up their mental health coach to help him? Whichever one it was I am glad it worked as we are a different team with Edwards playing well.

Same for DJ- very few said he should never play, rather not play 30 minutes per game while dilly plays 18. DJ plays his best when on the floor with two other guards yet he still starts the game as one of 2 on the floor but I digress.

We were in jeopardy of playing ourselves out of the tournament or at the very least a horrible seed. To suggest otherwise is hindsight. Team came together and pulled out some wins that there for a bit did not look possible with how we were playing.

One thing has become clear with our bigs and that is by committee. I’m one guilty of thinking Z had seperated himself and should be getting the lions share of the minutes. Wasn’t just me either as many national pundits said the same indicating big Z is a difference maker and takes uk to another level. That is still true but there is a place for Ugo on the team when he is playing his role well. One thing none of of bigs offer is consistency every single game and with that it is a luxury to see which one of them have it for what is needed on that given night.

Again don’t think anyone ever said cal didn’t let Reed shoot it- I mean seriously I’ve never read that and I’m on here daily as well as seeing many comments on other social media sites. Not running plays for him, sure, questioning does he encourage Reed to shoot more or even tell him to shoot more. Some players need to be told to be more selfish than they are without forcing things obviously.

Lastly again this last point is merely the luxury of hindsight. We were literally in 5th place of the conference standings the last half of the SEC regular season. And still easily could have ended up 5th with a loss at UT and other games falling correctly. Fortunately we pulled out the W and that didn’t happen.

Your post really did nothing but try and build division amongst the fans heading into the most exciting part of the season. Maybe that was your intention, who knows!!!!!
I'll try to tackle these point by point, but I'll start out with this: so If I prove to you that posters/twitter takes were saying NOT to play Justin and DJ, then what? You can claim it's embelished, but that's just a claim. One claim vs another. Is what it is. But absolutely it was being said
1. There was a loud part of the fanbase that did NOT "root like hell" for DJ and Justin. My post was about takes that had circulated across BBN, not what the collective fanbase claimed. So think about that for a second: did you ever see posters/twitter calling for the benching of Justin and DJ? Come on, it was everywhere
2. I don't think we were ever in jeopardy of missing the tournament. Sure, dooms-dayers on here and Cal-haters on here wanted you to believe that, but wasn't true. A "bad" seed, yeah I agree with you
3. Ugo is needed. Not every game for 36 mins, and same with Z, but he's needed. My 5-year old goes crazy for Big Z. He came into the game vs Tenn, and I actually thought to myself, when's the last game Z made a 3? Feel like he went crazy vs Georgia, maybe a 3 vs Vandy too, but I feel like he hasn't shot well lately
4. 100% posters said Cal limits Reed and Cal doesn't let him shoot like others. 100%. If you want me to dig it up, I will - but 100% was said on here, and that Reed isn't allowed to because he "Wasn't a 5-star that go promises". Again, 100%
5. You keep mentioning hindsight. Ok sure. But it's much more ignorant to make lazy, hyper-critical claims early in the season or halfway thru the season and think that's just how it is. Lazy, ignorant. I'd actually challenge you to go back and read some of the posts from earlier in the season. Call it hindsight bias, fine - but I'd rather be the guy not looking like a dumba$$ in November and December making dumb post after dumb post, just because I'm too lazy and impatient to see how it's all going to play out.

My OP doesn't have anything to do with division, that's on YOU if that's how you want to interpret it. It has everything to do with slow down, relax, be a fan and then after the season criticize whatever your heart desires. But we got dudes on Instagram hopping on Justin Edwards "live" and telling him to transfer.

Sure, totally get that. And I think these boards DO have a decent amount of discourse and good discussion. But for me, it's more the "Cal made promises to Justin so that's why he'll never stop playing him" - that's not an opinion, that's a flat-out lie just fueled by Cal-hatred. And so on and so forth.

And like I said to another poster, there's "fans" literally hopping on these players' social media and telling them to transfer, telling them to leave, telling them to give the ball to Reed more, etc.

Fans are going to be upset and post negative things IN THE MOMENT. But the group than STILL after the strong finish, just cannot let go of their hate for Cal. While I agree he did deserve some criticism at points during the year, rather than be honest and post positive things that he has changed, they continue with the bashing and even picking things wrong in a win. Even going so far to say that UK won in spite of Cal, that the players won it. Well OK if you want to go that route, but when they lose, be consistent and say the players lost it.
Not if they win, they won in spite of Cal, 0 credit. If the loss, ALL Cal, 100% of the credit. Some of the crazies can't even enjoy the big wins.

My favorite is the ZONE argument. Without looking it up, I'll guess at least half of our losses came against teams shooting 3s way above their average. Just raining circus shots on us. A zone would not have stopped this. It might have made it worse.
Let's all take note of the fact that Mike-Mcdouche has completely disappeared since the winning streak began. A perfect example of an actual troll.

In other words, fans being fans in an ever-evolving season with in-the-moment takes of frustration. There's no "gotcha" here.
I think there's a difference between having an opinion in-season and some of what we've seen on this board. It's one thing to think the team might not turn it around mid February, or think that Edwards is getting too many minutes.

But if people sit here and post that Cal is 100% an idiot and awful coach for playing Edwards and he should be fired and say it all with 100% certainty and talk down to those who disagree you should probably be mocked a little when it turns out you were wrong.

Being wrong is fine, being 100% confident you're right and making an ass of yourself in the process only to actually be wrong isn't.

Reactions: davtay
Being a fan should be more about supporting your team than looking for every single reason (some of them fake) to criticize your team.
How do you define "supporting your team"? Does it mean you have to be positive all the time no matter what the results or direction of the program?

If we had losing seasons for 2 or 3 years in a row, would you still be "supporting your team" and not be critical?

I'll try to tackle these point by point, but I'll start out with this: so If I prove to you that posters/twitter takes were saying NOT to play Justin and DJ, then what? You can claim it's embelished, but that's just a claim. One claim vs another. Is what it is. But absolutely it was being said
1. There was a loud part of the fanbase that did NOT "root like hell" for DJ and Justin. My post was about takes that had circulated across BBN, not what the collective fanbase claimed. So think about that for a second: did you ever see posters/twitter calling for the benching of Justin and DJ? Come on, it was everywhere
2. I don't think we were ever in jeopardy of missing the tournament. Sure, dooms-dayers on here and Cal-haters on here wanted you to believe that, but wasn't true. A "bad" seed, yeah I agree with you
3. Ugo is needed. Not every game for 36 mins, and same with Z, but he's needed. My 5-year old goes crazy for Big Z. He came into the game vs Tenn, and I actually thought to myself, when's the last game Z made a 3? Feel like he went crazy vs Georgia, maybe a 3 vs Vandy too, but I feel like he hasn't shot well lately
4. 100% posters said Cal limits Reed and Cal doesn't let him shoot like others. 100%. If you want me to dig it up, I will - but 100% was said on here, and that Reed isn't allowed to because he "Wasn't a 5-star that go promises". Again, 100%
5. You keep mentioning hindsight. Ok sure. But it's much more ignorant to make lazy, hyper-critical claims early in the season or halfway thru the season and think that's just how it is. Lazy, ignorant. I'd actually challenge you to go back and read some of the posts from earlier in the season. Call it hindsight bias, fine - but I'd rather be the guy not looking like a dumba$$ in November and December making dumb post after dumb post, just because I'm too lazy and impatient to see how it's all going to play out.

My OP doesn't have anything to do with division, that's on YOU if that's how you want to interpret it. It has everything to do with slow down, relax, be a fan and then after the season criticize whatever your heart desires. But we got dudes on Instagram hopping on Justin Edwards "live" and telling him to transfer.
First I don’t Twitter or Instagram so if that is where you are getting your takes from why bring them here? Say what you want but Edwards played like total crap for awhile. We are all glad he has turned it on but no one was saying bench him 5 games into the season. 5 games into SEC play, sure but the benching talk was well deserved by that point. Edwards finally came around, others like BJ Boston never did.

You will have to find me posters here that said cal doesn’t let Reed shot.

Z hasnt shot well from outside of late only hitting 1 of his last 9 and missing minimally his last 6 in a row. Still shooting 37.5% on that however. My take on that and you probably won’t like it or will disagree with it is cal has discouraged him from taking it. Against Arkansas he never even looked at the goal from the 3 point line in 20 minutes of action. Cal doesn’t like his 5’’s shooting 3’s whether they can shoot them or not. Sure they will get them up from time to time but knowing they better hit it or they will hear about it isn’t the way the game should be played. Notice cal has yet to ever run a single pick and pop with Z in the lineup, always pick and roll. It’s why cal is a substandard coach IMO. He’s got a loaded gun but prefers the switchblade.

This board has really, really declined in the last year or two. People just want drama and they want to be vulgar and call people names. There is a ton of stuff now that didn't use to be allowed.
I dared to drink coffee and posted with some silly energy and was immediately labeled a drug abuser and my parents had failed and I couldn't speak English whatsoever. Wow nice to meet them too! I wasn't going to follow suit and be a prick, and take them to task as I have a degree in my SECOND language and could very easily demonstrate that live in the board, and then go into my third if necessary. So yes, I STILL love big blue ALOT and celebrated TWO titles while attending.

Reactions: Doodah859
Fans are going to be upset and post negative things IN THE MOMENT. But the group than STILL after the strong finish, just cannot let go of their hate for Cal. While I agree he did deserve some criticism at points during the year, rather than be honest and post positive things that he has changed, they continue with the bashing and even picking things wrong in a win. Even going so far to say that UK won in spite of Cal, that the players won it. Well OK if you want to go that route, but when they lose, be consistent and say the players lost it.
Not if they win, they won in spite of Cal, 0 credit. If the loss, ALL Cal, 100% of the credit. Some of the crazies can't even enjoy the big wins.
I will have to agree with this. You can't have it both ways. You can't blame Cal for 100% of the losses and then turn around and give players credit for the wins. We've definitely seen this on the board this season. Truth is, wins and losses are credited to a mix of players and coaches. It's always been this way but it becomes magnified when folks are wanting a coach to be fired.

I think there's a difference between having an opinion in-season and some of what we've seen on this board. It's one thing to think the team might not turn it around mid February, or think that Edwards is getting too many minutes.

But if people sit here and post that Cal is 100% an idiot and awful coach for playing Edwards and he should be fired and say it all with 100% certainty and talk down to those who disagree you should probably be mocked a little when it turns out you were wrong.

Being wrong is fine, being 100% confident you're right and making an ass of yourself in the process only to actually be wrong isn't.
Fan is short for FANATIC and emotions dictate 100% of fans reactions. When things are good, the fan is euphoric. When things are not so good, the fan is extremely frustrated. Neither form of expression makes the fan good or bad. It’s all emotions and love they have for their team. It’s really not hard to figure out.

biggest goof I seen was hundreds on here saying Cal could not bench Bradshaw he was owned by Clutch . wow was that a dumb take by so many

OP can spike the football all he wants, but we don't hang banners for beating Tennessee.

We need to win in the tournament. My expectations do not change for UK. It is final 4s and national championships not draft picks.

In order, IMO.

1. championship
2. final-4
3. Ncaa tournament game wins
3. SEC regular season title

4. rivalry game wins
5. SEC tournament title
6. win 30 games

Feel free to critique.

The thing for me, is this :

not gonna beat a dead horse here, but ....

1) Gonzaga plays virtually the entire final 12 minutes of the game running a simple high ball screen play and Kentucky couldn't stop it ?? That's on Cal.

2) Florida game ... I'm sorry but just saying that game is "just on Cal" seems an understatement.

3) Inexplicable lineups, the national media as well as fans are perplexed.

4) UNC ..... W ?! They looked so entirely unprepared for that game.

5) and on and on, but what do I know, I'm basketball bennie.

Coach Cal. Love him or hate him, he is his own man.

God Bless him

Go Big Blue

biggest goof I seen was hundreds on here saying Cal could not bench Bradshaw he was owned by Clutch . wow was that a dumb take by so many
They continue to make this stupid claim, just not about Bradshaw. They all read on here that Cal makes promises and has to keep them. Never considering that it was written by another know nothing hater like themselves.

Reactions: moses1uk
I'm still not taking back the things I say about Cal. I'm LOD for life. One of the OG lurkers that were here back in the day.

I'm trying not to get started here, but I still am ready to move on from Cal. I simply call it like it is with Cal. I can live perfectly with that. But I never needed him to ever come here and tell me what the greatest moment in Kentucky basketball history is. The NBA Draft ? Are you serious ?!?

This basketball bennie had a red flag with that on him from that moment forward.

I don't have confidence with the man as our coach any longer.

All that I can say is that : I hope the boys can win in spite of the coach, if needs be. They've done well with that so far this year.

One correction . . . we're not winning with man to man defense we're winning despite it and outscoring folks. No body said you cant win playing man, just said you could win a lot more and lot eaiser mixing up your defenses. That fact remains an eternal truth with these guys. But got to give it them, its really hard to just outscore guys the way they do!

In order, IMO.

1. championship
2. final-4
3. Ncaa tournament game wins
3. SEC regular season title

4. rivalry game wins
5. SEC tournament title
6. win 30 games

Feel free to critique.
Criteria is the same, but my priorities are a little different

1. SEC regular season title
2. rivalry game wins
3. win 30 games
4. final 4
5. championship
6. SEC tournament titles

I'm prioritizing what I want to see on a yearly basis, and championships and final 4's involve too much luck to expect them every year. The first 3 on my list I want to do, roughly, 75% of the time; final 4's 25% and championships 10%. That's as realistic as I can keep my expectations for the program. And, I don't wan't any (<5%) double-digit losses seasons.

One correction . . . we're not winning with man to man defense we're winning despite it and outscoring folks. No body said you cant win playing man, just said you could win a lot more and lot eaiser mixing up your defenses. That fact remains an eternal truth with these guys. But got to give it them, its really hard to just outscore guys the way they do!
Went on the road to Auburn and held them to 59 points
Ole Miss to 63 points
Lost, but LSU to 75 points
I'd even argue holding Tennessee to 81 points on their home floor is pretty good too

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
Criteria is the same, but my priorities are a little different

1. SEC regular season title
2. rivalry game wins
3. win 30 games
4. final 4
5. championship
6. SEC tournament titles

I'm prioritizing what I want to see on a yearly basis, and championships and final 4's involve too much luck to expect them every year. The first 3 on my list I want to do, roughly, 75% of the time; final 4's 25% and championships 10%. That's as realistic as I can keep my expectations for the program. And, I don't wan't any (<5%) double-digit losses seasons.
I forgot, counts for two titles if we knock duke out in the final, that's why the 78 team is my fav.

Went on the road to Auburn and held them to 59 points
Ole Miss to 63 points
Lost, but LSU to 75 points
I'd even argue holding Tennessee to 81 points on their home floor is pretty good too
And yet our KenPom Defensive ranking is a 93. That's still very concerning, but we are trending better of late for sure.

Reactions: jmw23712
And yet our KenPom Defensive ranking is a 93. That's still very concerning, but we are trending better of late for sure.
Yes, but have you seen what our ranking is ASIDE from using November and December? So if you look at our defensive ranking in our last 10 games, we're looking like we're in a pretty good position.

Reactions: aikenite4uk

Just shut up Cal!
It’s a big deal to lose at rupp!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT