ADVERTISEMENT

Too many tools in the box ?

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
We have a deep talented team .. it's missing some muscle in the paint , but not nearly every player , but EVERY player has played great at some point . So going into the NCAAT I dont think the formula we used to win yesterday's game plays out well. Just too many moving parts for Cal to manage well. No , I dont trust him . And I know Ark played their A game , and we still came out on top but the margin was a ton closer than the final score , And no offense to the razor hogs , but they are not very good . I want to make a FF this season , thats my goal for this team , for that to happen we have to guard better that what was throw together yesterday , Ark made tough shot after tough shot and goes near perfect from the FT line , but a better team wont go away like Ark did . So how do we manage this , the NCAAT isnt going to be games played with 96-105 points from each side , right ? Maybe it will be . I still think we are seeing some fools gold from a couple players . Going into the NCAAT you cant play guys " just to see how they do tonight " the rotation has to be set and tight .. Having Mitch back just makes it tougher . Lot of guys / combo's to play . How would you do it ? and how do you think Cal will do it .
I worry about too much freedom given to guys on the offensive end .. Imo Bradshaw should never take a 3 , and in the options of our offense Wag needs to take 2-3 per game max .. you get in the EE or a hard sweet 16 game every possession is magnified . How do we progress ? hard not to play Rob more minutes , but they would more than likely come from Wag .. prob not happening .

Our super intelligent fans have been saying for years for more depth and for cal to use the scholarships. This season he did that and now people are saying we have too many players. Which is it?

Not saying u are one of those OP.

I'd play the best players. It's pretty obvious going small with an athletic 5 is the way to go.

Dj, Reed, Dilly, reeves, edwards, thiero, z and Bradshaw would be my main 8.

Mitchell clearly isn't healthy and is rusty. Ugona us the 10th man.

A bad answer, but I guess Cal goes with the hot hand and Sheppard. Sheppard almost has to be on the floor. Wagner had one of his better games yesterday from three, but can’t expect that often. Bradshaw looked great in first half but didn’t hardly see the court in second half as Big Z was ballin. I think it hurts us most on defense as we are very weak there to say the least.

There’s a danger to Cal having too many buttons to push. He’s talked about if a guy doesn’t have it, pulling him and going with someone else.

What if the guy was just going through a tough 4 minute stretch?

He made this mistake at South Carolina benching Reed most of the second half. I would argue that he made a similar mistake having Rob on the bench to close the Gonzaga game.

I think he’s largely figuring it out. You don’t see Reed coming out much down the stretch, for instance.

But am I concerned that he’ll get in the tournament and “forget” to play someone? It’s crossed my mind.

Last edited:
A bad answer, but I guess Cal goes with the hot hand and Sheppard. Sheppard almost has to be on the floor. Wagner had one of his better games yesterday from three, but can’t expect that often. Bradshaw looked great in first half but didn’t hardly see the court in second half as Big Z was ballin. I think it hurts us most on defense as we are very weak there to say the least.
Thats why I worry the shooting game DJ had yesterday might .. MIGHT be fools gold .. if hes playing extra Min , those min are coming from Rob , and in no way would I want that . none . at all.

We were playing pretty well when he was out. He should earn his time like anyone else.
We played mostly well with him too. Idk. I like him. He was a rock early season when we had no bigs including help to a gold medal Im proud of. Start him when he is 100

We played mostly well with him too. Idk. I like him. He was a rock early season when we had no bigs including help to a gold medal Im proud of. Start him when he is 100
I think he’s just an ok piece. Experienced, journeyman role player. Not a guy who puts you over the top, imo.

Reactions: BBUK and mailman85
Mitchell will be alright. No way I replace him..
Mitchell wasn't playing wel even before his injury. He seems to be at a disadvantage in terms of mobility. I would play Z at the 5 and Mitchell backing him up. He hasn't even been looking to shoot and that tells me there is a confidence issue.

Thats why I worry the shooting game DJ had yesterday might .. MIGHT be fools gold .. if hes playing extra Min , those min are coming from Rob , and in no way would I want that . none . at all.
Cal loves DJ. His dream scenario is DJ hitting a winning basket for the championship. It’s pretty obvious.

That being said, Cal has shown over the past month or so that he won’t hand DJ the keys unconditionally.

Could he revert back at the wrong time in March? Possibility.

We have a deep talented team .. it's missing some muscle in the paint , but not nearly every player , but EVERY player has played great at some point . So going into the NCAAT I dont think the formula we used to win yesterday's game plays out well. Just too many moving parts for Cal to manage well. No , I dont trust him . And I know Ark played their A game , and we still came out on top but the margin was a ton closer than the final score , And no offense to the razor hogs , but they are not very good . I want to make a FF this season , thats my goal for this team , for that to happen we have to guard better that what was throw together yesterday , Ark made tough shot after tough shot and goes near perfect from the FT line , but a better team wont go away like Ark did . So how do we manage this , the NCAAT isnt going to be games played with 96-105 points from each side , right ? Maybe it will be . I still think we are seeing some fools gold from a couple players . Going into the NCAAT you cant play guys " just to see how they do tonight " the rotation has to be set and tight .. Having Mitch back just makes it tougher . Lot of guys / combo's to play . How would you do it ? and how do you think Cal will do it .
I worry about too much freedom given to guys on the offensive end .. Imo Bradshaw should never take a 3 , and in the options of our offense Wag needs to take 2-3 per game max .. you get in the EE or a hard sweet 16 game every possession is magnified . How do we progress ? hard not to play Rob more minutes , but they would more than likely come from Wag .. prob not happening .
Thought provoking and insightful too. While I{ve had my many issues mainly with program philosophy and then end'of'game coaching with Calipari himself, I do give him tons of credit in many other categories. That said, I{m trusting he and the staff will make us tournament ready, and if that means trimming minutes and roles, I am sure he (they) will do that. Given this team{s talents and the context in which they are playing, i.e., we haven't been to a FF in almost a decade, there has to be a sharp sense of urgency to pay attention to the very minute details of this tournament process and preparation.

Not to be an apologist for the many fundamental mistakes we make defensively and for our many defensive shortcomings, but Arkansas had nothing to lose like so many coming into Rupp, and if they miss a more normal five more FT's, the game probably takes on a much different appearance. They lose by 14 instead of nine and they would have been hard-pressed to stay in the game. Their FT's game them a huge chance to win, but how many teams will shoot so many at a 97% rate? They still lost by nine, even being up by that many late in the second half.

Good question though, one that I had thought of since he has trimmed things up in the past. I think they should do some of that to help simplify roles, and it might be good to limit Tre as he works back to 100% (if that can happen at this point).

Bottom line: whoever is on the court, we must rebound and defend better than we are doing now. Vanderbilt cannot be another game like Arkansas but they obviously have the ability to play us close and even win! We need to come out with a killer instinct against them to get some confidence that we can keep others from scoring. My gut tells me that we'll see a much better effort defensively against UT but with a few less playing meaningful minutes. Beating them will pay big dividends.

We were playing pretty well when he was out. He should earn his time like anyone else.
Mitchell playing too much will be a big reason why they get bounced in March.
Team is healthy now. They don't need Mitchell's offence. He filled a need early in the season. He is simply lazy on the defensive end even when fully healthy.
And he clearly isn't close to 100% now.
Should be the 9th man. Ugonna 10th man.
I think the other 8 players should get tge majority of the minutes.

I don’t think you can ever have to many tools in the toolbox. I would’ve loved to have backup options in the tournament last year for Reeves and Fredrick.
I went back and checked the box score from the K-State game and they combined 2-18 from the field. I just think if something isn’t working with this current roster, we have options in game to fix it.

Side note: Apparently a guy named Chris Livingston played for us last year. Such an odd moment in time.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Cal loves DJ. His dream scenario is DJ hitting a winning basket for the championship. It’s pretty obvious.

That being said, Cal has shown over the past month or so that he won’t hand DJ the keys unconditionally.

Could he revert back at the wrong time in March? Possibility.
Yes he really does and I could certainly see a scenario like we had against Miss. st or even be down 1 and cal calling Dj’s number to try and get us the win.

Reactions: Aike
Arkansas has been terrible this year and seemed unmotivated in a lot of their games. But they have a lot of talent and when motivated, like yesterday, they are a tough out. Ask Duke, who they beat in November. I like how the Cats played down the stretch and think they got into the Hogs legs ending the game on 34-16 run.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
I could not possibly agree more wholeheartedly with this post. Great job summarizing my biggest fear for Cal and this team. Good problem to have if Cal makes the right moves.

Good thing for the depth considering all the games missed by players this year imagine if this team only had a 7 man rotation then factor all those injuries it been even rougher season.

I could not possibly agree more wholeheartedly with this post. Great job summarizing my biggest fear for Cal and this team. Good problem to have if Cal makes the right moves.
I still contend that Thiero, Bradshaw, Mitchell, and Wagner should not be shooting threes unless the big three are doubled, and even then, they should drive past their man for a better shot.

Kentucky has lots of very talented players.

That’s why they absolutely need to play as fast and loose as possible, even if that means you are creating lots of possessions and opportunities for the other team to score and that maybe you aren’t as focused on falling back into defensive sets.

In a tournament game all that talent and offensive pressure should be too much for opponents. Guys will get tired and tentative and Kentucky should wear them down physically and emotionally. And how to you game plan for Kentucky? Focus on taking away Sheppard? Dillingham can have a game like he did yesterday. Leave Edwards open? He's capable of a game like the Alabama game. Make Reeves the key to your defense? Sheppard can gut you like he did Mississippi State.

Last edited:
Mitchell wasn't playing wel even before his injury. He seems to be at a disadvantage in terms of mobility. I would play Z at the 5 and Mitchell backing him up. He hasn't even been looking to shoot and that tells me there is a confidence issue.
He wasn't playing well because of the injury, not before. He tried to play through it and just wasn't able to very well, so we had to sit him.

You could finally see DJ getting a bit back to himself at Arkansas. He and Tre haven't gotten back to pre injury form yet.

Early season Tre is our best big. Whether we get that again or not who knows. If he and DJ get it together with the other guys coming on now, watch out.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I still contend that Thiero, Bradshaw, Mitchell, and Wagner should not be shooting threes unless the big three are doubled, and even then, they should drive past their man for a better shot.
By design, I agree with you. But if the opposing defense decides to leave them wide open to help then they should take them. Will kill our spacing if they either can't or won't make a respectable amount. All but Bradshaw have proven they can hit enough to keep teams honest, and even Bradshaw is better than bigs like him usually are.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Yes he really does and I could certainly see a scenario like we had against Miss. st or even be down 1 and cal calling Dj’s number to try and get us the win.
For me, it's Reed and Reeves, simple as that. BUT...

Wasn't DJ pretty clutch against UNC down the stretch? And wasn't he pretty clutch in the OT win vs St. Joseph's? He made the right decision (albeit simple one) to give Reed the ball for the game-winner vs LSU

For me, it's Reed and Reeves, simple as that. BUT...

Wasn't DJ pretty clutch against UNC down the stretch? And wasn't he pretty clutch in the OT win vs St. Joseph's? He made the right decision (albeit simple one) to give Reed the ball for the game-winner vs LSU
UNC and St Joseph was so long ago I don’t recall but I think you meant against miss st instead of lsu referring to giving Reed the ball for the game winner. He did give it to Reed only after getting his drive cutoff. Sorry I just don’t trust cal in giving the ball to the right players in a must make or lose situation. Instead of thinking who is going to make the play to give us the best chance to win he’s thinking how great it makes certain players look if they make the play to win. If that is 100% true or not that is how cal has conditioned my thought process with his coaching.

UNC and St Joseph was so long ago I don’t recall but I think you meant against miss st instead of lsu referring to giving Reed the ball for the game winner. He did give it to Reed only after getting his drive cutoff. Sorry I just don’t trust cal in giving the ball to the right players in a must make or lose situation. Instead of thinking who is going to make the play to give us the best chance to win he’s thinking how great it makes certain players look if they make the play to win. If that is 100% true or not that is how cal has conditioned my thought process with his coaching.
Did you happen to watch The Journey, Tennessee episode? They go inside the huddle and Cal literally says "we're going with Antonio now" because Antonio was cooking. So Cal said all first looks will go to Reeves when they get into the offense. He's done the same for Rob when Rob gets cooking.

Go back and watch UNC and St Joseph - we couldn't guard - but Cal had DJ and Rob executing down the stretch. Florida, Cal got the ball into Reed's hands to knock down FTs. But then he got hurt and lost valuable time, reps, experience, and momentum. He's been building that back

So DJ made the correct decision at Miss St by giving the ball to Reed after DJ realized he didn't have a driving lane, right? Don't we want correct decisions being made?

But again, Cal has put the ball in Reed and Antonio's hands. And if they're playing well, I believe he's going to continue doing that. I don't see a chance of Reed having a great game and Antonio having a great game and Cal just saying, DJ go win the game for us.

Our super intelligent fans have been saying for years for more depth and for cal to use the scholarships. This season he did that and now people are saying we have too many players. Which is it?

Not saying u are one of those OP.

I'd play the best players. It's pretty obvious going small with an athletic 5 is the way to go.

Dj, Reed, Dilly, reeves, edwards, thiero, z and Bradshaw would be my main 8.

Mitchell clearly isn't healthy and is rusty. Ugona us the 10th man.
It's like a bunch of our fans sit around literally all day and overanalyze every tiny aspect, applying positive, neutral and negative angles, and then they run here and puke it up for commentary.

I used to enjoy speculative discussions, but now they are so far fetched and wacky that I just skip them all. I now prefer post-game discussions where we can analyze things that actually occurred in the game rather than pre-game speculation, some of which are kind of like this thread topic.

We've seen threads like this around RR quite often around topics such as (and these have been REAL topics on RR) - "are the different colored shoes impacting our performance" (we used to wear same shoes, now kids can wear whatever color they want), "do players' hair-dos cause distraction?", and "should the coaching staff return to suits and ties to help our performance?".

Some would say these topics mean our fanbase is just the best, most observant and engaged group in America. I'd say we're just what Cal has said - literally crazy. :)

Reactions: CatsFanIL
There’s a danger to Cal having too many buttons to push. He’s talked about if a guy doesn’t have it, pulling him and going with someone else.

What if the guy was just going through a tough 4 minute stretch?

He made this mistake at South Carolina benching Reed most of the second half. I would argue that he made a similar mistake having Rob on the bench to close the Gonzaga game.

I think he’s largely figuring it out. You don’t see Reed coming out much down the stretch, for instance.

But am I concerned that he’ll get in the tournament and “forget” to play someone? It’s crossed my mind.

This. It has nothing to do with having too many players. It's cal wanting to play too many players. Those are two totally different things.

I said this weeks ago but it's still true: to really maximize our chances, cal has to be able to hurt some feelings. Can he do it?

Reactions: Aike
It's like a bunch of our fans sit around literally all day and overanalyze every tiny aspect, applying positive, neutral and negative angles, and then they run here and puke it up for commentary.

I used to enjoy speculative discussions, but now they are so far fetched and wacky that I just skip them all. I now prefer post-game discussions where we can analyze things that actually occurred in the game rather than pre-game speculation, some of which are kind of like this thread topic.

We've seen threads like this around RR quite often around topics such as (and these have been REAL topics on RR) - "are the different colored shoes impacting our performance" (we used to wear same shoes, now kids can wear whatever color they want), "do players' hair-dos cause distraction?", and "should the coaching staff return to suits and ties to help our performance?".

Some would say these topics mean our fanbase is just the best, most observant and engaged group in America. I'd say we're just what Cal has said - literally crazy. :)
haha I love it - RR certainly has the tendency to go off the rails. No shortage of crazy posters on here, myself included. Overanalyzing tiny and often irrelevant aspects, yep this is the right place!

• Haha
Reactions: TheDude73
This. It has nothing to do with having too many players. It's cal wanting to play too many players. Those are two totally different things.

I said this weeks ago but it's still true: to really maximize our chances, cal has to be able to hurt some feelings. Can he do it?
I think it's completely possible to use some context here to put Cal in a no-win situation. For example, he's "hurt" Bradshaw's feelings by taking him from a starter, to hardly getting any minutes at all. But if we lose an important game, fans can scream "YOU SHOULD'VE PLAYED BRADSHAW!"

Of course worst case scenario could happen, in which Rob, Antonio, and Reed get cold in one game, or maybe 2 of the 3. Maybe Rob misses, and misses, and misses, well "WHY DIDNT YOU PLAY DJ MORE!??". But all season long, a loud portion of the fanbase has been clamoring for DJ to play LESS.

It is what it is. He has depth. He goes with the "hot hand". That's why Reed plays 30+ minutes a game. That's why Justin plays extended minutes WHEN he's playing well. That's why Rob gets an automatic green light WHEN he's playing well. That's why Ugo never comes off the floor WHEN he's blocking shots.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
I think it's completely possible to use some context here to put Cal in a no-win situation. For example, he's "hurt" Bradshaw's feelings by taking him from a starter, to hardly getting any minutes at all. But if we lose an important game, fans can scream "YOU SHOULD'VE PLAYED BRADSHAW!"

Of course worst case scenario could happen, in which Rob, Antonio, and Reed get cold in one game, or maybe 2 of the 3. Maybe Rob misses, and misses, and misses, well "WHY DIDNT YOU PLAY DJ MORE!??". But all season long, a loud portion of the fanbase has been clamoring for DJ to play LESS.

It is what it is. He has depth. He goes with the "hot hand". That's why Reed plays 30+ minutes a game. That's why Justin plays extended minutes WHEN he's playing well. That's why Rob gets an automatic green light WHEN he's playing well. That's why Ugo never comes off the floor WHEN he's blocking shots.
At this point, I don't think any reasonable UK fan is going to claim not playing Bradshaw is a reason UK loses. Everyone sees it, Cal finally saw it, and even Bradshaw seems to know it, too. He's just not ready.

Would it be awesome to see him have a "Marcus Lee against Michigan" game in the tournament? Yep. But I don't think anyone expects any contributions at this point.

That’s why I am optimistic about our tournament chances. Too many scorers to all go cold at once.
Maybe some credit should go to the coaching staff for utilizing the right rotations?

Like DJ after the injury or Adou, Mitchell is the player that will get less minutes until he can go 100% all the time. Mitchell will play but the minute he plays passive or does not do what Cal feels needs done, he will be pulled for others. Personally, I think Adou and Edwards is a better pair than Mitchell and Edwards. UGO is in the same boat. He just starts slow and he will be pulled for Z and if Z is not doing what is needed then Aaron comes in and then back to Mitchell or Ugo.

No, have never bought the argument that you could have too many players. There’s always an injury lurking right around the corner and you need depth.

Whether you guys win the SEC tournament or not, I would still feel pretty good if I were a Kentucky fan about the NCAA tournament. The amount of offense that this Kentucky team can put on the scoreboard is insane. That damn Alabama game in Rupp, 117 points?!!! You won at Auburn (a team that I think will be very dangerous in March) you beat UT (another dangerous team in March)

I know there have been a few unexpected losses to a few teams, but chalk that up to youth in part, and Kentucky seems very different since that LSU game. Losing sucks but I’ve always believed a loss can be good “IF” you truly learn from it. I posted this a few months ago, but I was still impressed with Kentucky early in the season when you guys lost to Kansas because you were missing two bigs and competed really hard and Kansas had not yet had the injuries that they are dealing with now.

Cats are gonna be tough in the dance.

It isn't just Bradshaw. Cal finally sat him and it's paid dividends.

Dj needs transitioned to a reserve role. Rob and Reed are exponentially better. Neither should sit unless they need a breather or foul trouble. In a single elimination scenario, we cannot afford to not have our very best start at the beginning of each half.

That will require hurting some feelings. Will he do it? Or will we start each half at a deficit and eventually cause our season to end?

It isn't just Bradshaw. Cal finally sat him and it's paid dividends.

Dj needs transitioned to a reserve role. Rob and Reed are exponentially better. Neither should sit unless they need a breather or foul trouble. In a single elimination scenario, we cannot afford to not have our very best start at the beginning of each half.

That will require hurting some feelings. Will he do it? Or will we start each half at a deficit and eventually cause our season to end?
The counter: haven't we lost every game that Reed has started? Or at the best, I think we're 1-3 in games that Reed started? Now obviously there's other variables at play as well, but Justin and DJ are playing much better. I think it's been working well, bringing in Rob and Reed off the bench to play against some tired opponents legs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT