ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Big Z from last night.

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Did you all see him ask to be subbed out of the game , as he was totally gassed ? And for 4-5 minutes he stays in the game . Then he's removed , and Cal never subs him back in ( ok for 15 seconds or something) .. But Z was fighting hard , playing very well . Wasnt shying away from any contact whatsoever .. got hacked , slung , beaten on , you get my drift , very physical game . Ugo is just MIA . But Z does many things in a positive fashion to help us stay in the game , even though Reeves didnt have a good first half , and Dilly was setting with 2 .
So he looks to the bench and grabs his jersey after a tough sequence , he sprinted the floor a couple times -- Yes I realize he's slow , but he's 7'2 , he's not going to run like Rob . Then Cal leaves him in forever , until the point in the game thread several are saying " damn get Z out he cant hardly walk" .. So what gives ? Cal refuses to take him out , then at total crunch time had Bradshaw in during absolute crunch time, from about 2;45 to 45 , then inserts Ugo back in .. who promptly fouls a G shooting a layup . But any thoughts on why Z didnt come out when he ask to ? Why would we leave him in there so long , as gassed as he was ?

I definitely noticed it. I don't think he's really all that slow, he runs the floor pretty well, but it was obvious he just ran out of gas and was barely able to move. He just doesn't have the capacity right now to play 25-30+ minutes in a game without a number of breaks. from getting to campus late, his couple of illnesses, to going home over christmas, he just hasn't been able to get a full season and off-season of conditioning in. It's why I hope he comes back for another year. He could really improve his draft stock dramatically. as it is, he's not ready for an 82 game NBA grind, that's for sure.

It was clear to me that Cal didn't want to burn a TO to sub him out. He waited for a dead ball
It was a dead ball when Z was tugging at the jersey . And he played a long long time after that . There were a few opportunities to give him a 30-45 second blow , then re-insert .

Reactions: KFuqua
I definitely noticed it. I don't think he's really all that slow, he runs the floor pretty well, but it was obvious he just ran out of gas and was barely able to move.

He's extremely mobile and incredibly fluid. That lob adjustment where he switched into an effortless reverse layup was probably the most physically impressive of the season or second to Rob's windmill. 7'2" guys just don't do that but he made it look effortless.

I felt as the game progressed especially in the second half Z was adjusting to the physical game. He laughed when the Miss State center just bullied into him knocking him down. Fortunately, the refs finally called an offensive foul.

Depending upon how refs will be calling a game, it is problematic for our team if we face a talented physical center. Purdue would not be a good match-up for us as an example. But, if they are calling touch fouls than a different story.

^^ Z was ready to bang — best he could with the strength disadvantage- but I agree a good 5 could hurt us badly in the tourney .. keep us from the FF even . That dude from Unc could hurt us too . He’s inconsistent as heck but against us he might full on Shaq

^^ Z was ready to bang — best he could with the strength disadvantage- but I agree a good 5 could hurt us badly in the tourney .. keep us from the FF even . That dude from Unc could hurt us too . He’s inconsistent as heck but against us he might full on Shaq
Bacot wasn't much of a factor when we beat them back in December on a neutral court We didn't even have Z then and UGO played less than 10 minutes. Bradshaw actually outplayed Bacot in that game.

It was about the 9:30 mark until the 4:51 mark is when it happened. He subbed back in at the 2:13 mark. Shortly after that Cal did the offensive/defensive subbing with Ugo and Z.

Under no circumstance, with the game being around a 5 point game, do you call a time out unless he's totally killing you out there. He held is own and you're right, fought hard to do whatever he could in that time.

^^^ I know but how many times has a fringe player microwaved us ? Far far too many

I definitely noticed it. I don't think he's really all that slow, he runs the floor pretty well, but it was obvious he just ran out of gas and was barely able to move. He just doesn't have the capacity right now to play 25-30+ minutes in a game without a number of breaks. from getting to campus late, his couple of illnesses, to going home over christmas, he just hasn't been able to get a full season and off-season of conditioning in. It's why I hope he comes back for another year. He could really improve his draft stock dramatically. as it is, he's not ready for an 82 game NBA grind, that's for sure.
I'm becoming a MASSIVE Z fan, thinking about what a ruthless brutal training regiment will do for this kid woo! When Z can carve out space and starts having fun with 20 pounds of fast twitch muscle to blast his enemies with, LOOK the F out imo. It's all he needs, more pt and 6 months of protein and weights. Love this kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT