ADVERTISEMENT

You would think Reeves was Kobe Bryant

If you don’t understand why we desperately needed Reeves, well, then I don’t know what to tell you.

I suppose I could explain it to you, but I wouldn’t be able to understand it for you.
Matt who?

Wooden had "NIL" monies to offer per the car dealer-name escapes me-back then, and it payed off in 8 consecutive championships aka UCLA Invitational. Money talks b.s. walks. other schools now have the bucks to offer and a player has to decide-How much is enough?
Wasn't it a big construction millionaire from LA named Gilbert that did most of the buying of the talent for Wooden while Wooden claimed ignorance of the whole deal? And he might have even not been involved in any of the payouts. Probably should ask Bill Walton what the deal was.

Kobe made as many shots in his NCAA tourney career as Reeves did in his first 14 shots against K State.
Yes, but then Kobe never made any shots in the NCAA tourney.

Of course he never missed any either, so there is that.

Reeves in some “big games” from 3, other than KSU since we know he couldn’t throw in the ocean that day.

Providence - 5/8
Arkansas - 2/4
Auburn - 4/7
Tennessee - 1/3
Kansas - 0/3
Bama - 4/7
UCLA - 2/8
Michigan - 3/4
Gonzaga - 2/7

23/51 in some of the bigger games on the season. Didn’t shoot well in all of them but give the “choker” stuff a break.

This team needed his shooting badly.
Why just show some big games? Why stop at just the outside shooting? Why not also include his weak performances in some losses? Full picture:

MSU - 1/7
@GONZ - 4/13
UCLA - 2/13
@MIZZ - 3/6, just 8 points
KAN - 3/9
ARK - 4/12
@UGA - scored 20 but took 21 shots, 38%
VAN - 4/17
@Van - scored 22, but took 20 shots and was 3/9 from deep
KSU - 1/15

Against MSU, Gonzaga, UCLA, Kansas, Arkansas (at home), Vanderbilt, and K-State the dude was HORRIBLE.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D
I'm not a huge fan of bumping threads to call people stupid ..YES there were some dumb statements but bottom line is A Reeves the guy who can lead us to the Final Four ? I'm not sold . Just dont think the guy is at that level , he's solid , very solid , I'm glad hes back we needed the experience .... but when you look at guys -- esp scoring guards , these guys are usually lottery picks , and going pro their freshman or sophomore seasons . I hope we get a chance at # 9 but I'm not sure at this team has that potential. The biggest issue is the dunce on the sidelines . The guy whose career is slipping. That guy .

A bunch of the posters who had these loser takes about Antonio Reeves will just change their screen names when they get exposed, including the OP.

Watch and see.

Or, as I have seen many many times, they will deny they ever said it. And then when someone posts their exact quote, they say something like: "You have a pathetic life to drag up old posts."

I never understood why some posters can't just say that they said something stupid and laugh about it? But, the ones who run their mouths the most can't seem to do that.

I really like Reeves, but he could see his minutes decrease as the Freshmen get some game time experience going forward. Wagner, Sheppard, Edwards are the 1-3 spots.

I officially nominate the OP as the worst poster on this board. Your hot takes are garbage.

I mean are we seriously losing our minds over an ISU transfer who choked during the big games? Come on, this is Kentucky Basketball, I remember when we would be upset about losing out on five star players. Now we are worried about guys like Reeves, he’s nothing without this program. So let him go wherever he wants but he can kiss any chance at making to the league goodbye if he leaves. Kentucky Basketball is bigger than Reeves and they will be just fine without him. Reeves didn’t want to lose his starting role to these fiver star 18 year old players is the reason he will not return. Calipari has won with freshmen before and he can do it again.
I really feel sorry for so many people on this site. You are a very depressed group. It is sad to never be happy about anything. Go to church and you will be much better.

I'm not a huge fan of bumping threads to call people stupid ..YES there were some dumb statements but bottom line is A Reeves the guy who can lead us to the Final Four ? I'm not sold . Just dont think the guy is at that level , he's solid , very solid , I'm glad hes back we needed the experience .... but when you look at guys -- esp scoring guards , these guys are usually lottery picks , and going pro their freshman or sophomore seasons . I hope we get a chance at # 9 but I'm not sure at this team has that potential. The biggest issue is the dunce on the sidelines . The guy whose career is slipping. That guy .
Absolutely don’t need him to be a lottery pick. We have a couple of those. We need him to hit 3s.

I wish half of our fanbase wasn’t brainwashed into thinking players are useless if they have no future in the NBA.

Keep bumping this all year

I count at least five regular posters called reeves basically a walk-on

This will be pure golden
Yep, this thread aged like fine milk.

What's gonna be annoying is when he does have an off game (and he will, no athlete is immune to that) the same few will be back with a snobby "SEEEEE?!"

Why do we desperately need Reeves? So he can go 0-14 from three or get blown by on defense? The sky isn’t falling, heck he would’ve came off the bench probably anyways. You can’t tell me Dillingham isn’t better than Reeves, do you see Reeves getting comparisons to AI? NBA level Talent > Experience
Dillingham isn’t in the same universe as Reeves and couldn’t hold his jock. Doesn’t mean Dillingham won’t be good but Reeves returning was big.

I really like Reeves, but he could see his minutes decrease as the Freshmen get some game time experience going forward. Wagner, Sheppard, Edwards are the 1-3 spots.
If he keeps up the energy and offensive production, that would be the absolute DUMBEST thing Cal could do. And that's saying something considering.

Reeves won’t necessarily lead us to a title but he sure as hell will open things up for the players that can. Defenses can’t leave him open.

If he keeps up the energy and offensive production, that would be the absolute DUMBEST thing Cal could do. And that's saying something considering.
I just hope he doesn’t keep a more productive player on the bench to give Reeves minutes. AR cannot get to the basket like the other guards on the roster, he’s a great 3 point threat when he’s hot.
Right now, the 3 locked in starters are Wagner, Edwards and Mitchell. Reeves will need to be better than Sheppard and Dillingham to start

Absolutely don’t need him to be a lottery pick. We have a couple of those. We need him to hit 3s.

I wish half of our fanbase wasn’t brainwashed into thinking players are useless if they have no future in the NBA.
I'm not that way at all.. hell Oscar dominated college hoops and might not be a great pro ... you missed my larger point - its the guy on the sidelines thats our lead weight pulling us down .. the smaller point was Reeves wasnt an outstanding elite player last year , the kind you see go crazy on the final weekend ( and Monday) of the NCAAT .. he was good , sometimes great , but you cant sometimes very average to be elite . Carry on , I want trashing him at all or saying he wont be vital to us , I'm saying he might not be good , and we collectively might not be good enough to overcome Cal .

I mean are we seriously losing our minds over an ISU transfer who choked during the big games? Come on, this is Kentucky Basketball, I remember when we would be upset about losing out on five star players. Now we are worried about guys like Reeves, he’s nothing without this program. So let him go wherever he wants but he can kiss any chance at making to the league goodbye if he leaves. Kentucky Basketball is bigger than Reeves and they will be just fine without him. Reeves didn’t want to lose his starting role to these fiver star 18 year old players is the reason he will not return. Calipari has won with freshmen before and he can do it again.

This post marinated well. Reeves was our best player the back half of last season. Just because you wanted to live in some alternate reality bc of his poor performance against Kansas State, doesn't mean the kid wasn't good. I mean, it's almost like he didn't score 22 against Providence in the 1st round.

If his shooting % stays anywhere close to what we just saw the last few days he will get as much time as anyone.

What some of these "basketball bennies" don't realize is that the best perimeter defender the opponent has will be on Wagner, then Edwards. Reeves is gonna get the 3rd guy. And he's gonna win that battle most nights.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I believe Reeves is the next coming of Reeves, one year older, one year further along his path. I believe he will work hard to be better than he was last year. I believe he will have better players around him and there fore be better. I believe he will have good, great and bad games just like every basketball player that has ever played the game. I hope we have a more enjoyable product out there on the floor. Something that is fun to watch.

I believe Reeves is the next coming of Reeves, one year older, one year further along his path. I believe he will work hard to be better than he was last year. I believe he will have better players around him and there fore be better. I believe he will have good, great and bad games just like every basketball player that has ever played the game. I hope we have a more enjoyable product out there on the floor. Something that is fun to watch.

Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

This aged well. It is amazing what confidence and knowing you are wanted/needed on a team does for a player. I'm happy to see Reeves taking full advantage of this opportunity and how it is presumably working out for Reeves and UK.

Reeves,what a strange off season he had. I'm loving the confidence he played with. When he has an off game one of the other guys will pick it up. the same can be said for any of other guys. If we're going to win a championship we need all these guys to be thoroughbreds, we need consistency, we need defense.

I agree with this. Reeves' return to the team was vital NOT because he was the guy who could take us to a title but because he's a guy who fills a role very well. He's a shooter and scorer who does both very well. I would say the same thing for the addition of Trey Mitchell. He's an experienced big man who can stretch defenses by being able to make shots all the way out to 3pt range. Neither of these guys can carry this team to where it wants to go but they can certainly help. I still say, if this team is to become a Final Four caliber team or win a title, it will be because these freshmen (at least 2 of them) begin to realize some of their ultimate potential this season. Reeves and Mitchell just give us some margin for error while the freshmen are learning on the job.

And I'm not much on bringing up old threads to play the gotcha game, either. This thread tells us more about fans' loyalty to the team over the individual player than anything else. I get that attitude. Either you're for us or you're against us. At the time this thread was started, there were serious doubts Reeves was returning. So, I get it. I wasn't happy about that thought, either. But I will say this- I'm so glad he decided to return.

You will be waiting a while for his minutes to decrease. Reeves will be our leading scorer for the year. He is THE best shooter on the team and it's not even close. Dude takes one side step and Lau ches from 25. Some barely hit the bottom of the net, almost went thru without touching any net. He was high volume, so that was not a small sample size either.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT