ADVERTISEMENT

This was the year

I have a totally different opinion on next coach (which has come recently as I've slowly losty mind with this team) especially if we flame out (and make a move) in March...which to me, I will say I'm not 100% there yet. Team has talent and talent cand side to override coaching at times.

I digress...for me, if we were to make a bold move and buyout Cal I would want Pitino. He would take pennies to come back here at his age and that is important. A buyout or settlement, whatever it is, will be large sums of money. We leverage Pitino's rebuild (again) and then wait and see what some of these young guys are doing (Golden is an example).

Truth be told we sold our soul for both guys, especially Cal. Do it again...you wanna make a splash and ignite the fan base...that is the answer.

Mitch and Cal have drug us into a quick fix situation here. We cannot afford a BCG hire. Basketball has changed, it isn't 2009. We need a stop gap fixer right now, nothing more. There needs to be strategy and not reaction.
Are you in favor of on campus strip clubs and brothels as well? Should Rick wear a red suit this go round? I guess on the bright side it would probably reduce the odds of him flipping the bird to the Rupp crowd again.

Last edited:
Are you in favor of on campus strip clubs and brothels as well? Should Rick where a red suit this go round? I guess on the bright side it would probably reduce the odds of him flipping the bird to the Rupp crowd again.

Did he do that while he was here? Remind me. I'm about not seeing negative records. What are you about?

Matt Jones said he'd bet money that Drew is the next UK coach.
He said it with a lot of certainty. I think Kyle Tucker has kind of alluded to it in his Tweets of late. A lot of people on the Twitter have kind of acted like Drew is Mitch's 1 and only target. And you hear it enough, it starts to sound true.

I'd be ecstatic. I think he's one of the best coaches in college basketball. You don't win a National Championship at Baylor without being a helluva coach. If not for the Covid cancelled tournament, he was going to have 3 straight 1 seeds. He's going to excel at a blue blood program like Kentucky.

He said it with a lot of certainty. I think Kyle Tucker has kind of alluded to it in his Tweets of late. A lot of people on the Twitter have kind of acted like Drew is Mitch's 1 and only target. And you hear it enough, it starts to sound true.

I'd be ecstatic. I think he's one of the best coaches in college basketball. You don't win a National Championship at Baylor without being a helluva coach. If not for the Covid cancelled tournament, he was going to have 3 straight 1 seeds. He's going to excel at a blue blood program like Kentucky.
I would be so amped if Drew was announced as HC.

After this, I’ll never be excited about another Cal year again.
I stopped being excited with cal as head coach 5-6 seasons ago, Have been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions but always just a matter of time before cal shits the bed again with his less than grade school level of coaching. It’s been on full display now the last 4 years.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He thinks its cool to hate Pitino 9 years later. Shows how badass and macho he is. HES A TRU BLU WILDCAT FAN!!!1111
A lot of us don’t like Pitino because he oversaw a child sex trafficking ring in order to get recruits. I mean he fled the country during a FBI investigation into the matter.

Not because he coached at UL. Although I’m sure there are people that hate him just for that, that’s not enough for me.

The other guy said we sold our soul for Cal so let’s do it again for Rick… the worst thing Cal was accused of doing before coming here was helping Rose cheat on his test and paying Camby. Nothing compared to what Rick fled the country for.

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about basketball knows the man has been washed since Bruce Weber and K State sent him packing in the 2018 NCAAT. At that point I wanted him gone. It’s been downhill since and will only continue to get worse.
That loss was unforgivable. We had 6 or 7 NBA players on that team, including SGA, and KSU was down a critical starter. The following round was Loyola.

Cal still found a way to screw it up.

The next season, the path was wide open again, with Auburn losing their best player to an injury in the Sweet Sixteen. Cal once again found a way to lose to a team that had no NBA players, whereas we had PJ, Herro, Keldon, and IQ - four guys who are presently averaging between 15 to 20 points per game in the NBA. That's not even counting Hagans, Montgomery, Richards (also in the NBA and doing well), etc.

Two pissed away Final Four opportunities where we had a superior amount of talent.

Calipari is the second-most underachieving coach in college basketball history, second only to Dean Smith.

A lot of us don’t like Pitino because he oversaw a child sex trafficking ring in order to get recruits. I mean he fled the country during a FBI investigation into the matter.

Not because he coached at UL. Although I’m sure there are people that hate him just for that, that’s not enough for me.

The other guy said we sold our soul for Cal so let’s do it again for Rick… the worst thing Cal was accused of doing before coming here was helping Rose cheat on his test and paying Camby. Nothing compared to what Rick fled the country for.
I was reffering to being mad at him for flipping UK fans off. Cal did plenty of shady stuff. It was more than those two things. But never as bad as Hookergate at UL.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I heard Drew was going to Louisville. They are going to load the Brinks truck to get him. It will be a race to the finish line.

There are 40 million reasons why nothing is likely to change. Pretty scary situation. If things end poorly this season I think UK has to approach Cal about a deal. Whether it is deferred payments or negotiating buyout. Cal is losing some of his most ardent supporters. It will get worse the longer he is here.
Yeah. I'm as depressed about a season as i have been in forever.

I thought this year would be really good.

If Cal can't win big with this team though, I don't see him ever doing it again.

Still have a chance for a miracle run in the tourney I guess, but we sure seem to be regressing. What a nightmare!

That loss was unforgivable. We had 6 or 7 NBA players on that team, including SGA, and KSU was down a critical starter. The following round was Loyola.

The next season, the path was wide open again, with Auburn losing their best player to an injury in the Sweet Sixteen. Cal once again found a way to lose to a team that had no NBA players, whereas we had PJ, Herro, Keldon, and IQ - four guys who are presently averaging between 15 to 20 points per game in the NBA. That's not even counting Hagans, Montgomery, Richards (also in the NBA and doing well), etc.

Two pissed away Final Four opportunities where we had a superior amount of talent.

Calipari is the second-most underachieving coach in college basketball history, second only to Dean Smith.
You nailed it.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I was reffering to being mad at him for flipping UK fans off. Cal did plenty of shady stuff. It was more than those two things. But never as bad as Hookergate at UL.
I’m sorry for misrepresenting your argument. I didn’t really follow Cal until he got here but I don’t doubt it. He did have the reputation for being shady. Hookergate is the worst thing I’ve heard of coach being a part of in my life time. But I don’t follow sports outside of Kentucky basketball so I have a limited scope.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’m sorry for misrepresenting your argument. I didn’t really follow Cal until he got here but I don’t doubt it. He did have the reputation for being shady. Hookergate is the worst thing I’ve heard of coach being a part of in my life time. But I don’t follow sports outside of Kentucky basketball so I have a limited scope.
Penn State's Sandusky scandal was worse I believe. Dude was molesting boys in the shower at his football camp.

I’m also about not living in the past. Rick Pitino is not the answer. We do not need to eat the member berries.

I mean it is never going to happen. Mich would never hire him.

I'm also not living in the past. Pitino could fix us and do it at a price that would allow the Cal buyout. I don't think there are many others if any that could.

Cal had a look after the game yesterday that I haven't seen before. The boos were coming down and he looked like it affected him. Of course, one 3 point win against a cellar dweller will get swaggy Cal back and his minions will start the I told you so threads.

The thing that gets me is that we have really good players. Not just talented, but unselfish. Not just good athletes, but good basketball players. So why are we losing so much? A big part is lack of experience.
You're right about the players and their experience. But a coach that was actually coaching would have them performing better than this.

The thing that gets me is that we have really good players. Not just talented, but unselfish. Not just good athletes, but good basketball players. So why are we losing so much? A big part is lack of experience.
They are weak and not coached well. If they had a real coach, they wouldn’t be getting crushed man to man every possession of every game. We couldn’t guard UNC-W, what’s makes Cal think we can guard a legit team?

Reactions: Wonky
Cal had a look after the game yesterday that I haven't seen before. The boos were coming down and he looked like it affected him. Of course, one 3 point win against a cellar dweller will get swaggy Cal back and his minions will start the I told you so threads.
He only has himself to blame. He’s so stubborn he hasn’t changed defense in 15 years, he finally changed the offense because he knew he wouldn’t last with that ancient BS.

Baylor basketball and Sandusky were way worse and so was Michigan State Gymnastics.

Nah he’s first IMO, nobody is a worse coach not even Dean Smith.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I unfortunately, was someone who wasnt like defending cal, but just giving him a way longer leash than he deserved. I wish I could make a post and say I was right to give him the benefit of the doubt six straight years. Todays loss wasnt the reason, but I no longer think Cal should stay. You cant be out coached 90 percent of the time in big games and deserve defending. I mean we need more possessions per game, we can score. Why we are not pressing everytime they bring it up the court confuses me. we can literally outrun 99 percent of the teams out there. But coaches know get calipari in a half court offense and slow the pace and you will win. He cant change anything up. stubborn. its sad seriously. watching a lob play that didnt work 1 minute before being ran again... people must of been laughing in that huddle. the lob should be an option... just not your first option lol pathetic
Off topic but have you met @Fox2monk yet? Bizarre username! LoL

Reactions: Fox2monk
One final four in 20 years. 2 (TWO) big twelve titles in 20 years.

No thanks.
Cal is going on 10 years since last finale 4. If we're not careful and play the game of "well so and so doesn't have xyz"...it'll be 15, 20 years...another couple of St. Petersburgs, maybe an NIT or two, maybe another sub .500.

Who out there has the credentials we require? Which is apparently multiple FFs at least?

Jay Wright, Bill Self, Mark Few

I would agree with calling all of those guys, but I think we all know Self is locked down and doesn't need UK. Wright is retired with 2 titles, and I don't think he's a fan of the current "collegiate" athletics landscape. Even if he were still coaching, not sure he would be interested. I think he poo pooed us before. Few I think has probably had multiple top tier programs come at him over the years. He seems like a lifer, tucked away and relatively protected way out in the pacific northwest. Probably lives a nice little Pleasantville life.

I'll be really honest, I don't even know if we'd get Drew, he's kind of like Mark Few and seems pretty happy having built a program at Baylor. He's got his hardware and honestly could very easily get to more FFs.

Next guy up who's been relevant in recent enough modern times and has a title is Tony Bennett. However, he's 15 years into UVA.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, it isn't about who we want, it may be who wants us?

You don't have to coach at a premier program to make money or deep runs anymore. Hell you can sniff around late March with SDSU and FAU...why go to UK?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost In FL
Anyone that knows ANYTHING about basketball knows the man has been washed since Bruce Weber and K State sent him packing in the 2018 NCAAT. At that point I wanted him gone. It’s been downhill since and will only continue to get worse.
You could be right, but I think things changed after the Wisky loss in 2015. I think that exposed him for the DA he really is. Particularly the comment that they didn't watch any game film on Wisky. That was mind blowing.

At this point Barnhart is just as responsible for the program as Calipari

If we have a couple of bad seasons, its on the coach. If we have a spiral of a program due to continually bad seasons, that's on the AD.

While the football program has improved under Stoops, its norm is a 7-5 program, nothing to hang your hat on as an SEC AD while letting the flagship program tank on your watch.

Barnhart has to go. BBN has to get this message out.

Cal is going on 10 years since last finale 4. If we're not careful and play the game of "well so and so doesn't have xyz"...it'll be 15, 20 years...another couple of St. Petersburgs, maybe an NIT or two, maybe another sub .500.

Who out there has the credentials we require? Which is apparently multiple FFs at least?

Jay Wright, Bill Self, Mark Few

I would agree with calling all of those guys, but I think we all know Self is locked down and doesn't need UK. Wright is retired with 2 titles, and I don't think he's a fan of the current "collegiate" athletics landscape. Even if he were still coaching, not sure he would be interested. I think he poo pooed us before. Few I think has probably had multiple top tier programs come at him over the years. He seems like a lifer, tucked away and relatively protected way out in the pacific northwest. Probably lives a nice little Pleasantville life.

I'll be really honest, I don't even know if we'd get Drew, he's kind of like Mark Few and seems pretty happy having built a program at Baylor. He's got his hardware and honestly could very easily get to more FFs.

Next guy up who's been relevant in recent enough modern times and has a title is Tony Bennett. However, he's 15 years into UVA.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, it isn't about who we want, it may be who wants us?

You don't have to coach at a premier program to make money or deep runs anymore. Hell you can sniff around late March with SDSU and FAU...why go to UK?
You seem to come up with every excuse imaginable to make a point the above coaches wouldn't come here. Maybe they wouldn't. But I think the list starts with Hurley (make him say no to doubling his salary), Nate Oates, Drew or Bruce Pearl. Any of them would produce better results than Cal has produced the last several years. As fans don't just throw up our hands and say oh well it is what it is and turn us into Indiana

Last edited:
Nah he’s first IMO, nobody is a worse coach not even Dean Smith.
It's looking more and more like that is the case.

For one, Dean Smith had two titles. Cal will never win a second title.

Cal is now tied with Dean Smith with 11 all-time All-Stars each.

Cal has left Dean Smith behind in terms of NBA players produced.

The knock on Dean is that he had those guys for multiple years, but Dean Smith actually took UNC to 11 Final Fours, including 4 of his last 7 years as coach (including his last season as coach). He left UNC in terrific shape, leaving the next coach with veteran players like Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison.

By contrast, Cal hasn't been to a Final Four in almost a decade and he's going to take all of his players with him when he finally leaves Kentucky.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT