ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Orton - Anthony Davis - Antonio Reeves

CatCall

Freshman
May 22, 2002
Denver
I can see these as the three most important recruits Cal has had at UK.

before I go on, I think it's past due that John Calipari move on, but I don't think that's gonna happen based on ego and money. That said, one little bit of optimism that I can summing up actually revolves around Antonio Reeves.

When Daniel Orton was drafted, despite not being a starter. It made a huge difference in how recruits saw Kentucky. You could come to Kentucky with an abundance of other talent, not start, and still be drafted. This quelled some recruit’s their fear that they would be lost in any shuffle with other talent and suffer because of it.

With Anthony Davis, he achieved the ultimate goal in winning the title. This proved you could come to Kentucky, on a freshman oriented team, be drafted #1 and win a championship… what I suspect is the goal of most of our five star recruits.

Now, with Antonio Reeves, we actually had a player who came to us from the portal, stuck around two years, improve, and will likely be drafted. But most important, Calipari can use this as proof that he will not play just freshmen over somebody else that stuck with the program. That's the best selling point we’ve got to go into the portal and get the kind of players we need to have more success in the coming year or two.

That's it. That's the hope, and sliver of optimism I can muster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT