ADVERTISEMENT

Yeah. I'll say it... It's getting old.

I'm with the op on this but i know many things change in our lifetimes. I would love to see college basketball players stay at least 2 years before they can go. As we get older we don't like some changes.

Actually, while this stretch has been a very successful stretch in UK history, it does not compare to the stretch from 1948 - 1958. During that stretch we won 4 NCAA championships. That's probably the most successful stretch in UK basketball history by far.
Yep, no doubt. But since Rupp and that last title in 1958, UK has four titles in 60 years. One of those is because of Cal.

If you think Pitino’s system worked and Cal’s doesn’t, how do rationalize that when they each won one title and missed out on other numerous opportunities to win other titles?
You're a smart man. Do you really need me to explain that to you?

I wish we had four more titles under Cal. But isn’t that easy. Pitino should have won the title in 1993,1995 and 1997. But he didn’t. He only won one title and it took a roster full of seniors and pros to get that one. It isn’t easy winning a NCAA title. Cal puts UK in a position to win a title.
Are you satisfied? With one banner and our talent? And getting a 30 new players every year to maybe make a run?

Reactions: KFuqua
You're a smart man. Do you really need me to explain that to you?
I guess so. Pitino had butt loads of talent and couldn’t win more than one title. Hell he couldn’t beat a 5 seed Arizona in the title game who had 19 regular season wins. That despite having four future pros on his team not counting Derek Anderson and a slew of other top veteran players.

Neither do the cars, prices of products, music, fashion, etc...
297.png

CUT THREAD/

Not to get too sidetracked, but what complaints do you remember about Rupp?
Rupp's last title was in '58 and he coached until '72...meanwhile UCLA won 8 of their championships (and 3 other final 4s) in those 14 years. Yes, the record books show that san '66 UK was in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 9 times during that span... but they started in the Sweet 16 and it only took 1 win to get to the Elite 8. Between '48 and '58 UK won 4 NCAA championships...then to go the next 14 years and "only" make the title game once???

Some people thought the game had passed him by and that he needed to go.

Truth in advertising... I was a youngster and my recollection is more from talks with my dad than personal observation. Dad worked for UK and was there when state law required that Rupp retire. While there were those who wanted the law to be changed there were also those who were ready to see him step aside. Rupp did not want to retire. The fact that an exception wasn't made I think speaks to the idea that there wasn't anyone in power willing to bend the rules to keep Rupp around.

I didn’t realize we added 30 players every year. I’m satisfied that Cal has put UK in position to win titles. Are you satisfied with the 3 titles UK got from 1959 to 2009?
No. I'm not. With the talent Cal is getting. Are you satisfied win one banner because of one generational player? Are you satisfied, As a UK fan, with guys leaving before they should because there's a culture?

Are you satisfied? With one banner and our talent? And getting a 30 new players every year to maybe make a run?
I can't answer for Irish, but for me personally I have been very pleased. The first year was exiting because we were relevant again and took CBB by storm that year. Sure we came up a bit short, but it was a hell of a ride and launched the Cal era. The next year we struggled and grew. We got to see the evolution of Jort's and went on a hell of a redemption tour back to the first final 4 since 98. The next year was obviously epic. 13 sucked, but mostly because of Noel's injury. Prior to that it wasn't that bad. 14 was a wild ride that culminated in one of the greatest tourney runs ever. Again, we lost, but it doesn't take away at all how awesome it was. The next year was another epic year, that ended disappointingly, but was still exhilarating to be a part of. The 15'/16 team and this past one were pretty average, but both teams had opportunities they squandered.

I'll take that and be very happy with it. It's been by far the best run I can remember since Rupp.

True, I hear ya. But you can't argue that the trend is more and more of some our guys leaving before they realistically should. And as a UK fan, you can't tell me you're not growing tired of it too.

I'm growing weary of it also and I'm 45 yrs old. If elite players go to the league that is fine. wenyen-pj-vando guys like this is disturbing. If we lose 6 guys off an average team this is very frustrating to me.

No. I'm not. With the talent Cal is getting. Are you satisfied win one banner because of one generational player? Are you satisfied, As a UK fan, with guys leaving before they should because there's a culture?
You ignored my question. Are you satisfied with the three titles besides Cal’s since Rupp’s last one? Because no UK coach besides Rupp has won more than one.
Cal recruited Davis and it’s only because of Cal, Davis came to UK. So yes that satisfies me a great deal Cal is the reason we won the title in 2012. He recruited that roster except for Miller. I’m satisfied UK is in the hunt for a title almost every year under Cal. Next year will be no different.

We are on the same page. Although with all the threads on RR, I do believe a lot of folks are losing perspective of their own expectations.
I think there are several who are on this page.Expectations have moved to a sliding scale depending on the strength of the individual incoming class,how many of the top players we get vs how many go elsewhere.

We have had to learn how to be a fan all over again,some struggle with that more than others.It took me a while but I got there.

Reactions: Deli owl
I guess so. Pitino had butt loads of talent and couldn’t win more than one title. Hell he couldn’t beat a 5 seed Arizona in the title game who had 19 regular season wins. That despite having four future pros on his team not counting Derek Anderson and a slew of other top veteran players.
Pitino didn't fully have his system in place until maybe '95, but we were still young then. It took him 6 years to build that powerhouse and one more year to win with them. He was only the coach for 8 years. Goodness, the '98 title was 100% with Pitino's players. Cal on the other hand had his system in place pretty much in year 1 which is fine since Cal doesn't build teams, he truly reloads. Pitino only had 3 years with a fully developed team compared to Cal's soon to be 10. That is the huge difference. In reality, Cal has had 3 times as many opportunities to win a title.

You ignored my question. Are you satisfied with the three titles besides Cal’s since Rupp’s last one? Because no UK coach besides Rupp has won more than one.
Cal recruited Davis and it’s only because of Cal, Davis came to UK. So yes that satisfies me a great deal Cal is the reason we won the title in 2012. He recruited that roster except for Miller. I’m satisfied UK is in the hunt for a title almost every year under Cal. Next year will be no different.
No, I Didn't. And one banner, ONE. I love Cal, but let's be honest about what's happening. It's okay to say he cares more about the name on the back than the name of the front. He's made no secret of that.

Reactions: KFuqua
We didnt have the same problem Cal's first 6 years so you cant count those years .. .We didnt lose undrafted players to overseas until last year and its looking like a new trend.

We were amazing... for the first 6 years.... the last 3 years... we are averaging 8.6 losses and no final fours... actually an elite 8... sweet 16 and a second round exit. What also happened that could have an effect on us??? Rule changes the summer after our loss to wisconsin and also losing everyone who was ranked in the top 100 whether they were drafted or not.

You feel such a need to defend everything that is going on at UK that you cant just accept some people missing a more traditional system......... and not one like BCG.....or Tubby's last 2 years..... But one with a few players leaving and 5 or more returning to build upon for the next year... People who miss that arent some horrible fan that you want to think they are...

Where did I call any of those people horrible fans? I even defended SemperFi in this thread against someone saying exactly that.

It's definitely a developing trend. It's just not exclusively at Kentucky. Guys are seeing that there are more ways to the NBA than being a first round pick. The G-League is growing. Guys are making more money in Europe/China than being a middling NBA player.

It'll probably keep going in that direction, and not just here.

Pitino didn't fully have his system in place until maybe '95, but we were still young then. It took him 6 years to build that powerhouse and one more year to win with them. He was only the coach for 8 years. Goodness, the '98 title was 100% with Pitino's players. Cal on the other hand had his system in place pretty much in year 1 which is fine since Cal doesn't build teams, he truly reloads. Pitino only had 3 years with a fully developed team compared to Cal's soon to be 10. That is the huge difference. In reality, Cal has had 3 times as many opportunities to win a title.
Sorry. That is delusional. In 1993, UK was one of the top seeds in the NCAA tournament and had a veteran team along with Mashburn. He choked in overtime against Michigan. In 1995, he again was a number one seed, ranked number two in the nation and couldn’t beat UNC in the Elite 8. I have already clearly stated how he crapped the bed against Arizona in 1997. And sorry, he doesn’t get credit for Tubby winning the 1998 title. He didn’t coach them.

Reactions: catben
UK has had that for the majority of years since Rupp’s last title in 1958. It hasn’t meant shit as far as winning NCAA titles since we only have 3 besides Cal’s title.
So the last 50 years has produced 4 titles...I think people could (and will) argue endlessly over how would be the best way to win titles. Villanova has won 2 of the last 3 without OAD players.

Speaking for me only my life doesn't begin and end with UK sports. That hasn't always been the case but it's where I am now. I support them because they are my team, not because how many titles they win. Hell, I love UK football more than basketball and it certainly isn't because all of the championships. I just love the game more so...and I get to see guys grow.

I think a lot of people think and feel that we've sold our souls for OAD. If that produced titles every year then perhaps we would think that we were being paid enough for our souls...short of that then the price is too high.

Things change. You either accept it or drive yourself crazy about wanting things you have no control over.

I miss those days too but, like you, I’ve realized I’m a fan of the name across their chest and it still says Kentucky. I don’t care if the name changes every year on the back as long as the name on the front is winning and competing for championships, and Cal’s teams are doing that.

Kentucky is the standard in college basketball. Why should I care how he’s doing it as long as there ain’t no rule-breaking.

I care when the roster becomes one that cannot compete for the title and is in complete rebuild mode (in terms of filling out a new roster) with no returning experience.

All freshmen teams do not win it all. Does not happen. You need at least some experience whether it be sophs, juniors or a senior.

2010- Miller, Patterson to go along with out of this world freshmen talent. Not all classes are built like this
2011- Harrelleson, Miller, Liggins
2012-Miller, Jones, Lamb
2014- WCS, Poy
2015- Tons of sophs and some good juniors
2017- Willis, Hawkins

So every successful team we’ve had here, had some experience.

See, this is where you're telling on yourself.

It comes across less as personal preference for the program style and more like a really controlled, cautious tantrum.

You're not talking player memories and moments. You're talking banners and underachieving and exaggerating the turnover we have. So if we had won more titles it would be okay? Because if that's the case, then it isn't about "renting players" or the way things used to be.

I get that you're frustrated, although I don't really understand, reasonably, how. But you're talking out both sides of your mouth on this one.

So the last 50 years has produced 4 titles...I think people could (and will) argue endlessly over how would be the best way to win titles. Villanova has won 2 of the last 3 without OAD players.

Speaking for me only my life doesn't begin and end with UK sports. That hasn't always been the case but it's where I am now. I support them because they are my team, not because how many titles they win. Hell, I love UK football more than basketball and it certainly isn't because all of the championships. I just love the game more so...and I get to see guys grow.

I think a lot of people think and feel that we've sold our souls for OAD. If that produced titles every year then perhaps we would think that we were being paid enough for our souls...short of that then the price is too high.
Price to high? You can have all those decades of futility that was UK basketball. I took little comfort in watching senior day when team after team didn’t go anywhere in the NCAA tournament year after year.

See, this is where you're telling on yourself.

It comes across less as personal preference for the program style and more like a really controlled, cautious tantrum.

You're not talking player memories and moments. You're talking banners and underachieving and exaggerating the turnover we have. So if we had won more titles it would be okay? Because if that's the case, then it isn't about "renting players" or the way things used to be.

I get that you're frustrated, although I don't really understand, reasonably, how. But you're talking out both sides of your mouth on this one.
Just when I thought you were a solid poster...

UK has played basketball for 115 years. We have 8 championships averaging every 14.4 years. We last one 6 years ago so stop expecting one till 2024. Ironically that's the same year we leave for Mars.

Since this is 2018, according to your math, we should expect one by 2026, not 2024. However, If you're going to use 8 NCAA championships as your measure of success, you should say we have been playing since 1939, since that's when the NCAA tournament started. Therefore, we have won 8 championships in a possible 79 years for an average on one every 10 years or so (9.875 to be exact). We can/should expect one by 2022. :smiley:

This isn't the Kentucky basketball I grew up with, and I'm kinda tired of this. Yes, Cal is a great coach. Yes, we've been to a few FFs and hung one banner. Yes, the recruiting is good for national attention. I'm not knocking Cal as a coach, at all. The wins are great... But I miss Kentucky TEAMS. I miss watching a team progress. I miss just knowing a kid will be back and his progress will make the team better. You can site some wins and a few FFs all you want, but I miss my TEAMS and tired of renting players for a couple months. Senior night used to be fun and special. Where'd that go? I don't know if it's Cal pushing or just kids these days, but I miss Kentucky teams. Cal, I'm a fan of UK basketball, not just making kids money. Selfish? Maybe, but I'm in it for the name on the front, not someone's bottom line. Sorry for the rant, now get off my lawn.
Those days are gone forever. All teams if their players are good enough, including Villanova, have players leave early for the NBA. What do you want Cal to do? Recruit players that stay four years and go to the NIT every year or recruit the best players with a chance to make the final four every year. If you want players to stay 4 years then go be a fan of Northern Kentucky or Morehead State.

Last edited:

I feel so sorry for you.

I care when the roster becomes one that cannot compete for the title and is in complete rebuild mode (in terms of filling out a new roster) with no returning experience.

All freshmen teams do not win it all. Does not happen. You need at least some experience whether it be sophs, juniors or a senior.

2010- Miller, Patterson to go along with out of this world freshmen talent. Not all classes are built like this
2011- Harrelleson, Miller, Liggins
2012-Miller, Jones, Lamb
2014- WCS, Poy
2015- Tons of sophs and some good juniors
2017- Willis, Hawkins

So every successful team we’ve had here, had some experience.

All freshmen teams haven’t won it all. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen. A 16 seed had never beaten a 1 seed, but it could happen and finally did this year, and it will happen again.

We’ll have some experience next year. I don’t know how much, but we’ll have some. I know this, I’ll take talent over experience any day. Unfortunately for UK fans, talent plus experience isn’t an option. So I’ll take talent.

There’s no sure blue print for winning a title. How much experience do you need? How many elite freshmen do you need? There’s not a clear answer. Cal just goes out and signs the best players he can and let the chips fall where they may. I’ve been pleased with how Cal’s teams have performed since he’s been here, other than the 2018 team after Noel went down.

Sorry. That is delusional. In 1993, UK was one of the top seeds in the NCAA tournament and had a veteran team along with Mashburn. He choked in overtime against Michigan. In 1995, he again was a number one seed, ranked number two in the nation and couldn’t beat UNC in the Elite 8. I have already clearly stated how he crapped the bed against Arizona in 1997. And sorry, he doesn’t get credit for Tubby winning the 1998 title. He didn’t coach them.
Are you denying it took Pitino 6 years to build his powerhouse team, '95 that you mention, and another year for the team to mature into a truly dominant team? But even if I take your timeline, it took Pitino 4 years to field a "good" team. So Cal has had double Pitinos opportunities. Does that make you feel better?

ADVERTISEMENT