ADVERTISEMENT

Yeah. I'll say it... It's getting old.

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
This isn't the Kentucky basketball I grew up with, and I'm kinda tired of this. Yes, Cal is a great coach. Yes, we've been to a few FFs and hung one banner. Yes, the recruiting is good for national attention. I'm not knocking Cal as a coach, at all. The wins are great... But I miss Kentucky TEAMS. I miss watching a team progress. I miss just knowing a kid will be back and his progress will make the team better. You can site some wins and a few FFs all you want, but I miss my TEAMS and tired of renting players for a couple months. Senior night used to be fun and special. Where'd that go? I don't know if it's Cal pushing or just kids these days, but I miss Kentucky teams. Cal, I'm a fan of UK basketball, not just making kids money. Selfish? Maybe, but I'm in it for the name on the front, not someone's bottom line. Sorry for the rant, now get off my lawn.

Apparently, after skimming RRs tod, I'm not alone. Sorry to be redundant.
Kentucky has played basketball every year I've been alive. If you're a fan of UK basketball, it's still here.
I'm a fan of Kentucky basketball, the program. Not of fan of renting players. I'm happy for the kids, don't get me wrong. I just miss having an actual team.

People can say otherwise, but I will never believe we’d be hearing this sentiment if Cal got every player in the Top 10 every year and we obliterated college basketball to the tune of 5+ championships since 2010.

Basically, what people are saying is we aren’t successful enough using this model. If we’re gonna lose, why not lose the old-fashioned way? I only point this out so we can be honest that the real priority is still winning, and we aren’t opposed to “renting players” in principle.

This isn't the Kentucky basketball I grew up with, and I'm kinda tired of this. Yes, Cal is a great coach. Yes, we've been to a few FFs and hung one banner. Yes, the recruiting is good for national attention. I'm not knocking Cal as a coach, at all. The wins are great... But I miss Kentucky TEAMS. I miss watching a team progress. I miss just knowing a kid will be back and his progress will make the team better. You can site some wins and a few FFs all you want, but I miss my TEAMS and tired of renting players for a couple months. Senior night used to be fun and special. Where'd that go? I don't know if it's Cal pushing or just kids these days, but I miss Kentucky teams. Cal, I'm a fan of UK basketball, not just making kids money. Selfish? Maybe, but I'm in it for the name on the front, not someone's bottom line. Sorry for the rant, now get off my lawn.
What are you going to when the new NCAA transfer rule goes into affect?

Dayum...

People can say otherwise, but I will never believe we’d be hearing this sentiment if Cal got every player in the Top 10 every year and we obliterated college basketball to the tune of 5+ championships since 2010.

Basically, what people are saying is we aren’t successful enough using this model. If we’re gonna lose, why not lose the old-fashioned way? I only point this out so we can be honest that the real priority is still winning, and we aren’t opposed to “renting players” in principle.

yup.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I'm afraid those days are gone and not likely to return.Remember when kids came to UK and stayed long enough to grow an inch or two and gain 15 to 20 pounds of good weight before they left.

I miss the times when fans truly cheered on their teams instead of griping and complaining all the time. We've had as good a run as any team in College basketball the last 9 years. Be a fan or cheer for someone else.
I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I like the success. My point was, I miss watching a team progress versus renting players and starting 10 new Freshman ever year.

I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I like the success. My point was, I miss watching a team progress versus renting players and starting 10 new Freshman ever year.

2 years of renting a player vs 4...is there really a difference? players have always been renting. and if you didnt see in improvement in our teams during the last 2 years....you werent paying attention. which is on you

Things change. You either accept it or drive yourself crazy about wanting things you have no control over.

I miss those days too but, like you, I’ve realized I’m a fan of the name across their chest and it still says Kentucky. I don’t care if the name changes every year on the back as long as the name on the front is winning and competing for championships, and Cal’s teams are doing that.

Kentucky is the standard in college basketball. Why should I care how he’s doing it as long as there ain’t no rule-breaking.

Apparently, after skimming RRs tod, I'm not alone. Sorry to be redundant.

I'm a fan of Kentucky basketball, the program. Not of fan of renting players. I'm happy for the kids, don't get me wrong. I just miss having an actual team.

If you're a fan of the program, it's as strong as any time in recent history.

We've always rented players. The lease is just shorter now. Nothing is ever as good as when you're a kid.

I have been a Kentucky fan for over 55 years, I know what you're saying is from the heart. However, this is today in college basketball. This is today in an "I want it now" society. If you want to compete you have to get the best players possible. Look at it this way, how man of Coach Rupp's players would have been one and done, how many of Coach Hall's stellar group would have been one and done if available at the time?

We have for the most part had very good talent, If Cal doesn't get the best they will go elsewhere. Then we would be saying he can't recruit, this is the face of college basketball for now. Like one poster said, it will only get worse with the new transfer rule. Count on it.

If you're a fan of the program, it's as strong as any time in recent history.

We've always rented players. The lease is just shorter now. Nothing is ever as good as when you're a kid.
True, I hear ya. But you can't argue that the trend is more and more of some our guys leaving before they realistically should. And as a UK fan, you can't tell me you're not growing tired of it too.

Kentucky has played basketball every year I've been alive. If you're a fan of UK basketball, it's still here.

You made it abundantly clear. You measured every word before you typed it. That's what this board is supposed to be about. Everyone should be able to share their innermost thoughts without being shamed, belittled, or condemned. True Cat fans should have each other's back whether they agree with one another's insights or feelings or not. I understand exactly what you said. It will probably never be that way again with any Blueblood program. still, I'd like to see a few guys hang around to form some kind of a bond.

Lots of these threads are like Mojo Jojo off of the Powerpuff Girls (I had a young daughter during the show's run in the mid 90s so I got to watch a lot of it)..... He would state the same thing three different ways,,,, eg. (I Mojo Jojo shall rule the world!!....and the ruler of the world shall be I, Mojo Jojo!.....who shall rule the world.)....

I get it,.... a lot of you guys don't like what college basketball has become and it bothers you especially that UK doesn't tend to retain players beyond their frosh-soph year. I agree somewhat that it isn't the same as the good ole days.....neither is the NFL (rule changes, protected QBs, athletes making political protests)....or Cars and Trucks (damn computers, fuel injectors, can't even hardly work on them in your own garage)....or typical households...(duel income model now, mixed families etc)..... I still watch NFL, own a truck, and support my family and raise my children..... And IMA support and enjoy every game I get to see the Cats play.

True, I hear ya. But you can't argue that the trend is more and more of some our guys leaving before they realistically should. And as a UK fan, you can't tell me you're not growing tired of it too.

why does it matter if we continue to win and land the best talent out there? how is this tiring actually...coming to a website to bitch drains you that much?

Reactions: Deli owl
UK has played basketball for 115 years. We have 8 championships averaging every 14.4 years. We last one 6 years ago so stop expecting one till 2024. Ironically that's the same year we leave for Mars.

I think it's all about expectations or missed expectations.

We start almost every year with really high expectations based on pre-season rankings and incoming player hype. Minus a couple years, it's then followed by a bit of a reality check then as the team progresses, higher expectations build again.

The post season comes along and we feel like we may have a shot after winning the SEC Tournament. Then the let down when freshman turn back into freshman under the intense spotlight and pressure of the big stage. Granted that stage might be the final four which is not insignificant.

Next it's followed by a short list of players that might leave which turns into an even longer list than anticipated and the grumbling starts. Next the expectations build all over again based on incoming recruits. The roller coaster of emotions it tough.

On a side note, did you hear about the incoming class? They are going to be awesome! Next year baby! :)

It doesn't even resemble the UK Basketball I grew up with.
Neither do the cars, prices of products, music, fashion, etc...
297.png

While I understand the OP's frustration, I do have to add the following comments.
1) Sure it's not about the $ to us, because we (fans) aren't the ones whose LIVES the $ can dramatically change. If YOUR kid has a chance to (legally & morally) be given a job that will pay them $10M the first 3 years, and could become worth 10X that or more the following years, then hell yes you will want that.
2) I too miss the way things were before, but times change, generations change, kid/player/parent expectations change. You have to adapt to survive. You aren't going to see Dan Issel come to school for 4 years, not going to happen. Or even Jamal Mashburn for 3 years, not going to happen. Players have figured out, the longer you are in school, the more chance it give NBA teams to see your flaws, and your in ability to improve them. At first you are an athlete who needs to work on his shot, then a year later you are a player who struggles shooting the ball, and a year after that you are a guy who can't shoot (& probably never will). The less they (NBA teams) know you, the higher your potential ceiling, and that is what they want a high ceiling, they want that lottery ticket.
3) I don't think Cal is pushing kids, there are a number of kids he has advised to come back, most recently Knox, and probably Washington. Some listen, some don't, some make good choices, and some don't, that is what 18-20 year old KIDS do.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I'm afraid those days are gone and not likely to return.Remember when kids came to UK and stayed long enough to grow an inch or two and gain 15 to 20 pounds of good weight before they left.
I think you are right. Those days are gone. We are in a Brave New World. Remember the 1978 team. They came in together as elite freshmen and went to the Final Four as sophomores. As we know they lost in the final game to Wooden's Retirement Party. But they vowed that night they would leave UK with a national championship. And they did. That is why they are so loved by older fans. Young fans don't understand that and I doubt they care. They just want our players to become millionaires and go to the pros. I like that too but I would like to get to know a few of them along the way. But that is not going to happen.

I expressed exact sentiment, beginning a few years ago.
I got killed for it. The basic counterpoint is, “well, we can go back to the Billy G. and Tubby eras”, as of the choice here is an “either or”.
Anyway, you are not alone. Despite the recruiting hauls and wins, I miss all those things you described that come with developing teams.

Kansas always seems to have a mix of 5 star talent and experienced veterans. We should model our team after them since that has translated into more FF's and titles than Cal has won since he's been at UK...wait...

ADVERTISEMENT