ADVERTISEMENT

Yeah. I'll say it... It's getting old.

there are 3 main reasons that college basketball is not like it was, first is the over dominance of the AAU/shoe company summer basketball over taking domanance in recruiting. next, the NBA drafting young guys at a higher and higher rate. and honestly if the NBA stopped drafting 19 year olds other than very rarely, like they use to, then the one and done would stop. kids didn't enter the draft after one year of college or right out of high school because they basically knew they would not get drafted (obviously their are exceptions, but it was not the norm). and the 3rd lessor reason is that the NCAA has refused to adapt to the changing landscape of AAU/high school and professional basketball

Just when I thought you were a solid poster...

Am I misunderstanding you? Because you started the thread talking about missing the days of getting to know players. That should be how you feel regardless of the results on the court if that's what matters to you.

But the more you type, the more it comes out that you're just mad we haven't won another title. Say that and try to defend it against our results historically if you want, but don't try to mask it as something else.

See, this is where you're telling on yourself.

It comes across less as personal preference for the program style and more like a really controlled, cautious tantrum.

You're not talking player memories and moments. You're talking banners and underachieving and exaggerating the turnover we have. So if we had won more titles it would be okay? Because if that's the case, then it isn't about "renting players" or the way things used to be.

I get that you're frustrated, although I don't really understand, reasonably, how. But you're talking out both sides of your mouth on this one.
Is it possible you you live up to your name any worse? I loke yoir posts, but lately, its been bad.
Am I misunderstanding you? Because you started the thread talking about missing the days of getting to know players. That should be how you feel regardless of the results on the court if that's what matters to you.

But the more you type, the more it comes out that you're just mad we haven't won another title. Say that and try to defend it against our results historically if you want, but don't try to mask it as something else.
I'm mad we haven't won another title! GDR I'm not happy. Happy? Any other Kentucky fan feel different? Are you happy?

People can say otherwise, but I will never believe we’d be hearing this sentiment if Cal got every player in the Top 10 every year and we obliterated college basketball to the tune of 5+ championships since 2010.

Basically, what people are saying is we aren’t successful enough using this model. If we’re gonna lose, why not lose the old-fashioned way? I only point this out so we can be honest that the real priority is still winning, and we aren’t opposed to “renting players” in principle.

We go 40 and 0 or beat UCONN in the Championship game and this thread and others never exist.

I'll play along with your BS. I want a mix of talent and foundation. I believe I've made that abundantly clear.

My BS? Its your thread and your words so I guess I'm playing along with your BS

To be abundantly clear I didn't read the whole thread, its nonsense. And word your title the way you did, you know it too

Since this is 2018, according to your math, we should expect one by 2026, not 2024. However, If you're going to use 8 NCAA championships as your measure of success, you should say we have been playing since 1939, since that's when the NCAA tournament started. Therefore, we have won 8 championships in a possible 79 years for an average on one every 10 years or so (9.875 to be exact). We can/should expect one by 2022. :smiley:
Just tempering expectations

This isn't the Kentucky basketball I grew up with, and I'm kinda tired of this. Yes, Cal is a great coach. Yes, we've been to a few FFs and hung one banner. Yes, the recruiting is good for national attention. I'm not knocking Cal as a coach, at all. The wins are great... But I miss Kentucky TEAMS. I miss watching a team progress. I miss just knowing a kid will be back and his progress will make the team better. You can site some wins and a few FFs all you want, but I miss my TEAMS and tired of renting players for a couple months. Senior night used to be fun and special. Where'd that go? I don't know if it's Cal pushing or just kids these days, but I miss Kentucky teams. Cal, I'm a fan of UK basketball, not just making kids money. Selfish? Maybe, but I'm in it for the name on the front, not someone's bottom line. Sorry for the rant, now get off my lawn.

I get your point and you’re right. I feel the same way. But unfortunately that’s what basketball at the highest level is now.

We either go along with it or strive to be the best anymore.

Pitino didn't fully have his system in place until maybe '95, but we were still young then. It took him 6 years to build that powerhouse and one more year to win with them. He was only the coach for 8 years. Goodness, the '98 title was 100% with Pitino's players. Cal on the other hand had his system in place pretty much in year 1 which is fine since Cal doesn't build teams, he truly reloads. Pitino only had 3 years with a fully developed team compared to Cal's soon to be 10. That is the huge difference. In reality, Cal has had 3 times as many opportunities to win a title.
If Pitino was so good then why was he at Louisville for 16 years with 0 titles. And Cal beat Pitino head to head 90% of the time plus 2-0 in the NCAA tournament when it really counts.

Is it possible you you live up to your name any worse? I loke yoir posts, but lately, its been bad.

I'm mad we haven't won another title! GDR I'm not happy. Happy? Any other Kentucky fan feel different? Are you happy?

Not sure why you're coming at me, but whatever makes you happy.

No one is *happy* we haven't won another title. No one is happy that we ever lose a game. But realistically those situations are going to happen.

I also didn't start a thread saying what I was unhappy about was that I miss getting to know players only to turn it into the same tired complaint about not having another title midway through.

I guess to summarize, we're winning at a rate above our historical average, the program still exists for you to cheer for, but you're unhappy. For what reasons? I've been trying to pin it down for seven pages. Don't know what to tell you, man. Hope you get it sorted out. The Bahamas will be here soon.

Only thing I hate is trying to explain to my kids all the new players every year. Season starts ... who is this? Where is PJ? etc ...

Darn kids! lol

Only thing I hate is trying to explain to my kids all the new players every year. Season starts ... who is this? Where is PJ? etc ...

Darn kids! lol
If that causes your kids so much sorrow then you got a problem. My kids just love Kentucky basketball and it doesn't matter who is playing.

Are you denying it took Pitino 6 years to build his powerhouse team, '95 that you mention, and another year for the team to mature into a truly dominant team? But even if I take your timeline, it took Pitino 4 years to field a "good" team. So Cal has had double Pitinos opportunities. Does that make you feel better?
Actually Pitino had opportunities in 1993, 1994,1995,1996 and 1997. Then he left. That Cal was in position his first year shows how much better a coach and recruiter he was than Pitino. Not to mention he wiped the floor with Pitino in the regular season and in the NCAA tournament while Pitino was at UL. In spite of Pitino cheating to win.

If Pitino was so good then why was he at Louisville for 16 years with 0 titles. And Cal beat Pitino head to head 90% of the time plus 2-0 in the NCAA tournament when it really counts.
I don't think I made any claim about Pitino but I will say he was never the same after 9/11.

Actually Pitino had opportunities in 1993, 1994,1995,1996 and 1997. Then he left. That Cal was in position his first year shows how much better a coach and recruiter he was than Pitino. Not to mention he wiped the floor with Pitino in the regular season and in the NCAA tournament while Pitino was at UL. In spite of Pitino cheating to win.
Yes but that has little to do with our discussion.

What op is saying is the turnover is not worth it unless it brings us titles. Another season like this one and opinions like ops will grow 10x. We are sacrificing being a real college hoops fan for what??? What gonzo himself could accomplish as a coach??? You could have a lottery for next U.K. coach and they get us to the sweet sixteen.

I don't think I made any claim about Pitino but I will say he was never the same after 9/11.
This is what you said:
Pitino didn't fully have his system in place until maybe '95, but we were still young then. It took him 6 years to build that powerhouse and one more year to win with them. He was only the coach for 8 years. Goodness, the '98 title was 100% with Pitino's players. Cal on the other hand had his system in place pretty much in year 1 which is fine since Cal doesn't build teams, he truly reloads. Pitino only had 3 years with a fully developed team compared to Cal's soon to be 10. That is the huge difference. In reality, Cal has had 3 times as many opportunities to win a title.
It is evident that you are saying Pitino's system was better than Cal's. Read your own writing. As I said if Pitino is so much better than Cal why did he stay at Louisville for 16 years with 0 titles and why did he lose to Cal 90% of the time while Cal has been at UK? That includes 2-0 in the NCAA tournament. Read your own words and eat them because you have been rustled.

What op is saying is the turnover is not worth it unless it brings us titles. Another season like this one and opinions like ops will grow 10x. We are sacrificing being a real college hoops fan for what??? What gonzo himself could accomplish as a coach??? You could have a lottery for next U.K. coach and they get us to the sweet sixteen.
Then go pull for someone else. You are not a real Ky fan. Name one Ky coach that has done better than Cal in the last 40 years. Dean Smith was at North Carolina 36 years and won 2 titles. He is a Hall Of Fame coach. Please name one Ky coach that has done better in the past 40 years.

I think you are right. Those days are gone. We are in a Brave New World. Remember the 1978 team. They came in together as elite freshmen and went to the Final Four as sophomores. As we know they lost in the final game to Wooden's Retirement Party. But they vowed that night they would leave UK with a national championship. And they did. That is why they are so loved by older fans. Young fans don't understand that and I doubt they care. They just want our players to become millionaires and go to the pros. I like that too but I would like to get to know a few of them along the way. But that is not going to happen.
dang Sawnee I wish I could like your post 100 times [thumb2]

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
This is all starting to come to a point, and the guys that have promoted this system to death are becoming more and more edgy. They know it.

We have a segment that does not care about Kentucky basketball and bought into Cals recruiting pitches themselves. Cal is a master salesman, one of the best I've veer seen. He can sell you a car that breaks down in 20 minutes causing you to blame yourself and not the person who sold you the car.

Why these types do not go on ahead and root for the G league teams and individual players careers I will never know. I wish they'd leave this fanbase though, fans of Kentucky need to concern themselves with Kentucky, if not you're in the wrong place.

This is all starting to come to a point, and the guys that have promoted this system to death are becoming more and more edgy. They know it.

We have a segment that does not care about Kentucky basketball and bought into Cals recruiting pitches themselves. Cal is a master salesman, one of the best I've veer seen. He can sell you a car that breaks down in 20 minutes causing you to blame yourself and not the person who sold you the car.

Why these types do not go on ahead and root for the G league teams and individual players careers I will never know. I wish they'd leave this fanbase though, fans of Kentucky need to concern themselves with Kentucky, if not you're in the wrong place.
Because you can’t look concern yourself with Kentucky and where it stands if you don’t take a look at the total landscape of college basketball.

Actually it does. Cal’s system is no worse than any other coach.

Eh, no one else loses players the way Cal does.

For a guy as persuasive as Cal, as my above post mentioned, he should have no problem getting fringe prospects back. He's a recruiter, it's what he wants to do. He doesn't mind the turnover. He likes that his players, like last night, are more representative of the league than any other coaches players.

This will stop when a rule forces Cal to stop doing it. I think it's that simple.

Reactions: KFuqua
Because you can’t look concern yourself with Kentucky and where it stands if you don’t take a look at the total landscape of college basketball.

Hey, I like the NBA recognition, but I think it's time to start considering what we're doing and if it's the right path for Kentucky moving forward.

I have no issues telling the "it's their life" posters that they are supporting the wrong league. There are plenty of G league teams to root for so they can support individual players careers.

Cal does this for a pitch, they are simpletons who bought in and try to make it reality. It's stupid.

Reactions: KFuqua and katwest
I don't blame the players at all. I just wish Cal would recruit a mix of OAD and 3-4 year players. Those have been his best teams. I miss senior day celebrations and watching some of guys stay in the program for 3-4 years.

Hey, I like the NBA recognition, but I think it's time to start considering what we're doing and if it's the right path for Kentucky moving forward.
I couldn’t care less about the NBA. I don’t even watch it. But I do want top talent at Kentucky. Top talent wants to go to the NBA whether they go to UK, Duke or anywhere else.

I couldn’t care less about the NBA. I don’t even watch it. But I do want top talent at Kentucky. Top talent wants to go to the NBA whether they go to UK, Duke or anywhere else.

I edited after you quoted. Maybe it will change your mind completely counselor.

I have no issues telling the "it's their life" posters that they are supporting the wrong league. There are plenty of G league teams to root for so they can support individual players careers.

Cal does this for a pitch, they are simpletons who bought in and try to make it reality. It's stupid.
Yes you edited your post. Lol. It appears to me Wenyen is coming back based on not hiring an agent. I think PJ and Vanderbilt come back. And Cal has signed a tremendous class. I’m quite sure what you want if that scenario doesn’t satisfy you.

Reactions: morgousky
If that causes your kids so much sorrow then you got a problem. My kids just love Kentucky basketball and it doesn't matter who is playing.

It's called a joke. I don't think I mentioned anything about sorrow. Notice the "lol" at the end.;)o_O

Top players don’t want to share time with upperclassmen in the one year they go to college. Many would be 3-4 year players don’t want to split a lot of playing time in their last couple of years with elite freshman. Everybody wants to play and the sooner the better, unlike the old days when you languished in the bench waiting a turn. Those days are over due to media being much better and allowing players to spread out over the country without missing the exposure benefits that used to be bestowed on the elite programs.

It’s harder to build a blend than to either go for studs that won’t stay or multi years that can’t go. It’s asking for a hell of a lot and Cals tried to do it but he can’t make players like SKJ etc... stay. SKJ knows more elites are coming and his time may not increase, he feels his chance to play is by going to a school that has fewer talents in the post. The only way to keep him at UK would be to not recruit at his position but then you are conceding the position to him and are hostage to his development. If Cal stopped recruiting then I’m sure the board would be understanding and praise the wisdom of retaining SKJ or others like that.

Jay Wright is winning and keeping players around for the most part, seems like a good thing to me. His players aren't even as good as Kentucky's. So things haven't completely changed.

Darn kids! lol
My wife is the same way . A huge fan, but it takes her a third of the season to know who is who . She doesn't live on the interweb though.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

:joy:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT