ADVERTISEMENT

Would you like to see UK accept an NIT invitation after we lose out in the SEC tournament?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
I believe the NIT doesn't invite teams with a losing record. But with this being the crazy year its been, they might this year. 10, 20, 30 years ago I would say YES ABSOULTY WE ACCEPT THE INVITATION. Because it would give next years returning players 1, 2, 3, maybe 4 more games experience. But with only 1 or 2 players that will be returning for next season. It wouldn't be worth it. I say end this nightmare of a season the second we get beat in the SEC tournament.

Only if they are legitimately into it. Id still rather we dont go and get embarassed. Reality is this weekend is the end of basketball for me this year. Its baseball season now.
go cards/padres. april 1st cant come any faster.

Reactions: catzcan
If we're playing good ball, lose in the SECT final, I say we accept. I heard that if an NCAAT team has to cancel due to Covid (before the tourney starts) they will pull from the first seeds of the NIT to fill those spots.

Again, if we're playing good.

1. The NIT absolutely invites teams with a below .500 record. This change was explicitly made in 2017.

2. Of course UK should play in the NIT or any other post-season tournament invited to. This was a bizarre year in which Kentucky has played SEVEN fewer games than normal, and four fewer than Kansas -- a dirty program that also rolled up a number of wins against the likes of Wabash, Omaha, Ft. Hays and North Dakota. IF UK can add a win or two from the NIT -- against stronger teams than the Jailhawks fattened up on -- then absolutely.

3. No one knows how many players will return, and it is irrelevant. Play any chance you get. Take any wins you get.

1. The NIT absolutely invites teams with a below .500 record. This change was explicitly made in 2017.

2. Of course UK should play in the NIT or any other post-season tournament invited to. This was a bizarre year in which Kentucky has played SEVEN fewer games than normal, and four fewer than Kansas -- a dirty program that also rolled up a number of wins against the likes of Wabash, Omaha, Ft. Hays and North Dakota. IF UK can add a win or two from the NIT -- against stronger teams than the Jailhawks fattened up on -- then absolutely.

3. No one knows how many players will return, and it is irrelevant. Play any chance you get. Take any wins you get.
But you know that doesn't fit the agenda narrative of many here. (Looking at you, RR)

Me? Love watching the Cats, any time, anywhere.

You absolutely take the invite.

The real question is, are you going to watch? This may be an odd take.. but I 100% want UK to go to the NIT and get some wins, build something for next year.. but I'm also not positive I will care to watch us play Oral Roberts. Maybe the semis and the finals..

Agreed. Take the wins as you say.

And I'll watch every game. I've said before, I would rather watch Kentucky lose, than not watch Kentucky play.

I believe the NIT doesn't invite teams with a losing record. But with this being the crazy year its been, they might this year. 10, 20, 30 years ago I would say YES ABSOULTY WE ACCEPT THE INVITATION. Because it would give next years returning players 1, 2, 3, maybe 4 more games experience. But with only 1 or 2 players that will be returning for next season. It wouldn't be worth it. I say end this nightmare of a season the second we get beat in the SEC tournament.
Luckily you have no say

Absolutely.

This team has many multi-year players. Not sure how many we keep, but everyone wants multi-year players and we have them. Now get them as many games as possible.

Reactions: TS1955
Yes UK should accept whatever tournament they're invited to. Whichever players don't flee the program need the experience and the program needs the wins in regard to the all-time tally.

Decline. We’d most likely lose and that would still somehow be more of an embarrassment.

John Calipari will be remembered for some great times early in his career here but will also be remembered as providing a 1st round NIT loss to Robert Morris, the worst season in the history of Kentucky basketball and also not even being invited to the NIT.

Crazy times.

You always have to accept that invitation.

Now with our team, I could see some players opt out, but we have to accept.

Decline. We’d most likely lose and that would still somehow be more of an embarrassment.

John Calipari will be remembered for some great times early in his career here but will also be remembered as providing a 1st round NIT loss to Robert Morris, the worst season in the history of Kentucky basketball and also not even being invited to the NIT.

Crazy times.
don't forget... he makes charitable donations

Absolutely do not like to see UK accept an NIT invitation. But desperate times call for desperate measures. We lose the battle against KU this season, but we stay alive for the war. I doubt we’d win three games but if we can pad two wins on our all-time win total, it is a must.

I hope a DNR has been put in place.

Reactions: BFFs_On_My_Staff
If I were the coach I would look every player in the eye on an individual basis and ask will you give 100%. I would then go with the players that answered yes. That is a players first program.

Absolutely. Keep fighting. Don’t be quitters and go home ... like some weak minded fans. Keep improving. You know the team would love a chance to get to NY.

We won it in 1976 and it was fun/fine. Had injuries that season as well. Set up a later 1978 championship run per the players.

• Haha
Reactions: blubo
Maybe the NIT will go for the big names and have UK/Duke first round game.

I don’t want to play Duke this year even tho they also suck. We suck worse imo and the last time they beat us DOWN by like 40 points with a bunch of recruits Coach K got instead of Calipari. The big 3 that year LOL’d @ Calipari and went to Duke.

You 100 % play if invited. Does any UK fan wanna see the Jailhawks pass us? You can't add wins if you take your ball and go home.
The NIT changed rules that you don't have to be above. 500 to be invited. You know they are not going to pass up a UK -Puke matchup.

Reactions: sefleming
Absolutely. Keep fighting. Don’t be quitters and go home ... like some weak minded fans. Keep improving. You know the team would love a chance to get to NY.

We won it in 1976 and it was fun/fine. Had injuries that season as well. Set up a later 1978 championship run per the players.
One little teeny tiny difference back then—half the team didn’t leave afterwards.

I don’t want to play Duke this year even tho they also suck. We suck worse imo and the last time they beat us DOWN by like 40 points with a bunch of recruits Coach K got instead of Calipari. The big 3 that year LOL’d @ Calipari and went to Duke.
I would like to play Duke this year and beat their ass, yes we aren't good but they are no better .Line up , play and send K home with a back ache

Cal has already accepted once in the past - so.... UK would accept I am sure.

One side benefit, besides more playing time as a team, is IF some players do choose to opt out - then we already know their status and can move forward without delay. Could they still stay? Sure.... but at least you would know given the choice - they would rather not.

Cal would advise them to not opt out - for many reasons - but at that point for me a mystery injury is for sure an opt out if you will not join your team in the NIT.

Wow - we have REALLY hit new lows.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT