ADVERTISEMENT

Who was it that said. Never accept in victory, what you wouldn't accept in defeat?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
The win over Alabama causes a lot of fans to accept the fact that we allowed them to score 95 points. They shot layup after layup dunk after dunk all game long, and Calipari made no changes to stop it. It's my understanding that Alabama scored 56 points in the paint. This has been going on all season. I mean how would you feel if UK didn't shoot 63% from the field and we score 90 points & lost the game 95-90? The coaching staff had better fix this problem now. Because come NCAA tournament time there's going to be that game where Cal has his team playing tight as a banjo string like happens every year & we go 3 for 23 from 3 point range & our defense has got to shut the other team down or our season will come to a end in the round of 32 or the sweet-16. No team that plays defense as poorly as this UK team is going to make a deep tournament run.

couple of things
they scored a lot of their points after the game was in hand and our guys took their foot off the gas both on defense and offense
Cal said it was the game plan to take away their 3 point shooting knowing as he stated that they could not beat us scoring two's

we rolled the tide and here you are complaining..............sad

The win over Alabama causes a lot of fans to accept the fact that we allowed them to score 95 points. They shot layup after layup dunk after dunk all game long, and Calipari made no changes to stop it. It's my understanding that Alabama scored 56 points in the paint. This has been going on all season. I mean how would you feel if UK didn't shoot 63% from the field and we score 90 points & lost the game 95-90? The coaching staff had better fix this problem now. Because come NCAA tournament time there's going to be that game where Cal has his team playing tight as a banjo string like happens every year & we go 3 for 23 from 3 point range & our defense has got to shut the other team down or our season will come to a end in the round of 32 or the sweet-16. No team that plays defense as poorly as this UK team is going to make a deep tournament run.
Try to enjoy a good victory. The Cats just destroyed a very good Alabama team and Justin Edwards was the star of the game. Your main thought after watching the game is "the coaching staff needs to fix this problem now"? The 95 points means nothing. Go back and watch how many of those points came during garbage time.

couple of things
they scored a lot of their points after the game was in hand and our guys took their foot off the gas both on defense and offense
Cal said it was the game plan to take away their 3 point shooting knowing as he stated that they could not beat us scoring two's

we rolled the tide and here you are complaining..............sad
Hold on, stop me if you've heard this before. But didn't we hear the samething after Georgia?

did you even watch the game?
if you did then you know they let up
not sure what your point is
even Oates said they started coasting.
Just saying, we heard the same thing after UGA scored 61 in a half. They let up, they knew they already won, etc. Then came the Texas AM game. I just hope we lock up Miss state.

Reactions: struggler
Just saying, we heard the same thing after UGA scored 61 in a half. They let up, they knew they already won, etc. Then came the Texas AM game. I just hope we lock up Miss state.

Just lock up Hubbard and we win. He’s literally the only guy they have that can beat us, and he’s 5’10”. If Cal blows this game I will be irate. Tolu Smith could have 40 and they won’t beat us unless Hubbard goes off. We average 20ppg more than they do.

If you can’t see the difference between the two I can’t help you. UGA is meh. Bama has the number one offense in the country. And we helped the below 65 for a lot of that game.

Cal said in the postgame that his game plan was to allow layups and dunks instead of giving up threes.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
couple of things they scored a lot of their points after the game was in hand and our guys took their foot off the gas both on defense and offense Cal said it was the game plan to take away their 3 point shooting knowing as he stated that they could not beat us scoring two's we rolled the tide and here you are complaining..............sad

If our defense isn't a problem. Then why did we allow these teams to score this many points on us?

Georgia - 96
Gonzaga - 89
Kansas - 89
Florida - 94
Florida - 85
Tx A&M - 97
Tennessee - 103
St. Joe's - 88

It's like the other team scores half their points within 5 feet of their basket

Reactions: chroix
Pretty sure that's a Saben quote. But whoever, it's a good one. I've had that saved on my phone for many years and refer to it often.

Synonymous with; the end doesn't justify the means.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
just saying, try to enjoy the dominate and total humiliation of the tide instead of trying to find reasons to whine and cry

Reactions: drawing_dead
If our defense isn't a problem. Then why did we allow these teams to score this many points on us?

Georgia - 96
Gonzaga - 89
Kansas - 89
Florida - 94
Florida - 85
Tx A&M - 97
Tennessee - 103
St. Joe's - 88

i guess you have missed the last few games where we have played much better D

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Hold on, stop me if you've heard this before. But didn't we hear the samething after Georgia

Georgia - 96
Gonzaga - 89
Kansas - 89
Florida - 94
Florida - 85
Tx A&M - 97
Tennessee - 103
St. Joe's - 88

It's like the other team scores half their points within 5 feet of their baske

How many points did Bama score from the line in the last 8 minutes? How many opportunities did we get at the line in that same time. I'm not saying we didn't foul but that closed the gap quite a bit.

Georgia - 96
Gonzaga - 89
Kansas - 89
Florida - 94
Florida - 85
Tx A&M - 97
Tennessee - 103
St. Joe's - 88

No defense is still an issue but the past 4-5 games we've done much better.

Looking at overall points is a poor way to look at these things. We play at a fast tempo. Even if we did have a good defense (which we don't), we'd still give up quite a bit of points.

Looking at things on a points per possession basis is the way to look at these things.

Our defense is a problem.

There are also 4 games left in the season. We have to find ways to win games. We weren't slowing down the Alabama defense. Cal had a gameplan to help us outscore them. It worked.

We gave up a ton of paint points because the defensive emphasis was to not give up 3's. We haven't been able to consistently take away both. So Cal bet on the offense. It worked.

A few other things to consider: Bama is #1 in adjust offensive efficiency. They're a hard offense to stop. We also got up 37 and took the foot off the gas.

Lastly, when you score 117, the opposition is going to score a lot too.

I honestly had the same reaction. If we'd beat them by 50 and scored as much as we did I wouldn't have noticed, but the lack of defense definitely cut into the margin in the end. I think it just may be that it requires a shift in mindsets. My favorite thing to see in a game is the other team held to 20 or fewer points per half. But now that we've got the shooters, I can see that scoring 60 a half is just about the same as holding the other team to 20 or less. Do it and nobody beats you.

We are #7 over the last two weeks in D per Tovrik. #4 overall. #32 in Offense

Includes two game against top Offenses in Auburn and Bama. Also a loss factored in. To say the D is bad recently is not factual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT