ADVERTISEMENT

For all the love this team gets from the fanbase…

CatsnRoses

Senior
May 13, 2007
they’ve provided a bunch of embarrassments this year. Yeah I know a lot of it is on Cal, but:

-4 losses at Rupp
-Headed towards another double digit loss season
-failed to win the SEC regular season or tournament title
-swept by a borderline NIT team (A&M)

Could list a few more but those are the first few that came to mind.

Oh and for all the ‘talent’ we have, our bigs are awful. We have exactly three players you know what you’re going to get on a given night. Everyone else could easily be unplayably bad and it wouldn’t come as the least bit surprising.

Just not an acceptable season for UK standards.

they’ve provided a bunch of embarrassments this year. Yeah I know a lot of it is on Cal, but:

-4 losses at Rupp

Oh and for all the ‘talent’ we have, our bigs are awful. We have exactly three players you know what you’re going to get on a given night. Everyone else could easily be unplayably bad and it wouldn’t come as the least bit surprising.

This is not a single year event. Cal has been mediocre for a long time. This is 100% on Cal and how he fails to prepare his teams.

This is not a single year event. Cal has been mediocre for a long time. This is 100% on Cal and how he fails to prepare his teams.

A lot of it is on Cal but some of it has to fall on the players just not being good enough too. Tre Mitchell has looked like one of the worst players in the country for the last 1.5 months. Onyenso on the floor basically amounts to 4 on 5 offensive possessions everytime down. Edwards and Wagner still incredibly prone to disappearing acts.

I kind of feel like UK is going to need their 1st round opponent to play a mediocre to bad game or it could be trouble. Anybody that makes the Tournament is more than capable of beating UK (or most teams in it). I think I'll feel better about the 2nd game than the first. If they make it past a 3rd game they've exceeded my expectations.

If Reed wasn’t in this team there wouldn’t be any love…he’s the only one keeping hometown boy fandom alive.
Probably some truth to that although Dillingham/Reeves are a lot of fun to watch offensively too.

But as a team they’re soft, unreliable and almost comically bad defensively most of the time.

I think some of the “love this team so much” stuff has been way over the top for a team with those characteristics that accomplished exactly nothing.

Reactions: Jakerz
I kind of feel like UK is going to need their 1st round opponent to play a mediocre to bad game or it could be trouble. Anybody that makes the Tournament is more than capable of beating UK (or most teams in it). I think I'll feel better about the 2nd game than the first. If they make it past a 3rd game they've exceeded my expectations.
Anything after the 1st round is gravy.

A lot of it is on Cal but some of it has to fall on the players just not being good enough too. Tre Mitchell has looked like one of the worst players in the country for the last 1.5 months. Onyenso on the floor basically amounts to 4 on 5 offensive possessions everytime down. Edwards and Wagner still incredibly prone to disappearing acts.
Who makes up the line up, who subs them in and out?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I’ve never understood the whole this team is so loved stuff the media keeps pushing out. Maybe the most frustrating team I can remember.

I absolutely do not love this team…not at all
I disagree. This is a team that should be easy to love. I do believe the talent and spirit is more than there. It’s the coaching that brings it out. I think your frustration is well misdirected.

I disagree. This is a team that should be easy to love. I do believe the talent and spirit is more than there. It’s the coaching that brings it out. I think your frustration is well misdirected.

They’re extremely soft and the effort is often questionable at best too.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Did Mitchell sub himself in and dictate his playing time? Does Wagner control that he starts and gets the minutes he does?

Did the players decide that after demonstrating early on in the season they couldn’t stay in front of their man and playing the cupcakes in November would not be a good time to work on switching defenses? I could go on. Cal is washed and has been. This crap is 100% on his refusal to prepare his team.

We have some great individual players. We have no adult with any interest in making them a good team. It’s been that way all season. It isn’t changing now.

If Reed wasn’t in this team there wouldn’t be any love…he’s the only one keeping hometown boy fandom alive.

forwhatever reason after reading your comment, I thought about this

Imagine Dillingham replacing Archie Goodwin on the 2013 team

I’ve never understood the whole this team is so loved stuff the media keeps pushing out. Maybe the most frustrating team I can remember.

I absolutely do not love this team…not at all
You'll get shit on for this take by some, but I don't love (or necessarily hate) this team, too. I have zero connection to a bunch of one-and-dones who can't win the regular season title, SEC championship, or (likely) the NCAA championship. Reed is cool being from Kentucky and all, but he's just another cow being herded through the G-League program known as UK. Given enough time, I'll barely remember who Dillingham was.

Fans have supported this team, got behind them and still want to be optimistic about this team. None of that is realistic when we have a coach that shits the bed when it matters the most. Be prepared for the same feeling this time next week. It is not the fans faults no matter how much the Cal Boys want to wag their fingers in everyone's faces for not falling in line.

Reactions: cathead64

-4 losses at Rupp

The Cal slurpers disagree.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I was worried the week off would derail this team.. abd it certainly seemed so. They came in like this was a game in January.

That definitely is a cause for concern. There's no road left. Can't lose again.

Yet Trey was on the floor all night. Doing Jack squat when it matters. Fouling dudes while letting them get and ones, not rebounding, can’t make a bucket hardly. I know he’s hurt but just sit down. It’s not helping. No surprise we guarded like crap playing our worst defenders so much.

You'll get shit on for this take by some, but I don't love (or necessarily hate) this team, too. I have zero connection to a bunch of one-and-dones who can't win the regular season title, SEC championship, or (likely) the NCAA championship. Reed is cool being from Kentucky and all, but he's just another cow being herded through the G-League program known as UK. Given enough time, I'll barely remember who Dillingham was.
100 percent facts.

Reactions: ThunderMash
forwhatever reason after reading your comment, I thought about this

Imagine Dillingham replacing Archie Goodwin on the 2013 team
The results would be damn near identical. Goodwin is one of the more unfairly hated UK players under Cal.

Reactions: crestcat
This has been the most frustrating team I can remember,an emotional roller coaster ride all season.

I do love this team. I seriously question the coaching.
Dillingham is easy for any basketball fan to love.
Shep is the hometown hero excelling on the big stage.
DJ is a kid who came in with huge expectations. He is inconsistent, but the talent is obvious, and he doesn’t sulk when he gets taken out.
Edward’s like DJ came in with huge expectations. He has struggled more than most. He still brings the effort. He doesn’t try to “get his” at the expense of the team. He has shown in recent games, glimpses of brilliance.
Bradshaw has an early injury that put him behind. I’m surprised he isn’t getting more clock, but he isn’t sulking. He’s engaged and supporting his teammates.
Z: This kid is a player who has skills you seldom see in a 7 footer. He kind of got screwed out of a few months, but he just cheerfully shows up and plays.
All of these freshman have defensive deficiencies. Guess what? They’re freshman and defense at this level is learned.
Theiro. If you don’t love this guy, you probably didn’t like Chuck Hayes or Liggins.
Big O. Very raw, but plays with good effort and effects opponents shots. He needs another year or 2 to develop. He has a huge upside.
Reeves. Has become a complete basketball player. It’s pretty cool to have a guy that you know is going to give you at least 20 every game.
Not to mention guys like Burkes who if they stick around will be super valuable in the upcoming seasons.
Yes, this is the most likable team we’ve had in a long time.
I want a title as a fan, but I want these players in particular to get to taste what success at UK is.

Reactions: dezyDeco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT