ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 Depth Chart

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
Based on who I think will return (I would love to get Big Z back)

PG-Fland/Perry (Perry is a lot better than people realize, moreso as a ball handler than shooter/scorer)
SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril

An OK squad but not going to make a deep run. No chance.

I disagree on Perry. He is probably more of a scorer than Shepard. He can shoot from 3 almost as well and he can also create his own shot. I am not saying he is better. But he has some dawg in him and seems like he has control of his nerves.

PG-Fland/Perry (Perry is a lot better than people realize, moreso as a ball handler than shooter/scorer)
SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
Reed isn't coming back.

That starting five, w/o Reed, is about half as good as this years. There isn't a world where I want to see Ugo on the court with another big. He and Quaintance together, with the fat poser as the coach, would be the ultimate rock fight nightly.

Even IF Shep and Z were to return, we aren't making a deep run next season. And the championship drought reaches 13 years, with no end in sight.

SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
This team would be worse than this seasons

Reactions: gojvc
I would love to see Reed back but I just don't see it. I looked up what Jeff made playing basketball, it looks like he made $672,500 over his professional career. That's good money, but that amount 24 years ago is not enough to set you up for life.

He became a pharmaceutical sales rep after basketball for a bit and then opened an apparel store. He may have done more more than that but that's about all I was able to pull from a quick google search. I couldn't find much on what Stacey has done from an employment standpoint beyond helping with the apparel store.

My point on all of that, the Sheppard family is probably "doing ok" financially, but I doubt they are in a position to where Reed could say no to a multi-million dollar contract. I'm sure he'd love to come back but you have to do what is best for you and your future.

With where he is projected in the draft, I don't see any way Reed is back next season.

SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
If this is the group, there is no way Theiro would not start. The only way he doesn't is if we add a portal guy like Knecht who turns out better than thought.

I do like Burks and think he will be a contributor. Would not be surprised to see him start with Theiro at Forward.

I also think we do return one of (Edwards, Wagner, Z, Bradshaw).

Reactions: ukfan041 and sk73
I would love to see Reed back but I just don't see it. I looked up what Jeff made playing basketball, it looks like he made $672,500 over his professional career. That's good money, but that amount 24 years ago is not enough to set you up for life.

He became a pharmaceutical sales rep after basketball for a bit and then opened an apparel store. He may have done more more than that but that's about all I was able to pull from a quick google search. I couldn't find much on what Stacey has done from an employment standpoint beyond helping with the apparel store.

My point on all of that, the Sheppard family is probably "doing ok" financially, but I doubt they are in a position to where Reed could say no to a multi-million dollar contract. I'm sure he'd love to come back but you have to do what is best for you and your future.

With where he is projected in the draft, I don't see any way Reed is back next season.
I've stated this several times on here, but fine, I'll do it once more.

First of all, I will not be shocked if Reed goes pro. But I will be shocked if he doesn't at least "test the waters".
To me it's close to a 50/50 on him leaving or staying. First there are non-financial factors that may contribute to his decision:
- is he maturity & emotionally ready to become a responsible adult living on his own in a very different environment than he ever has before (likely some major city, full of distractions)
- is he ready to prematurely end his "college experience"
- how important is his education to him (few players return for their degree, especially if not close to having it)
- how important is it for him to continue his childhood dream of playing for UK, and maybe even winning a championship for UK
- he is probably not strong enough or quick enough to be an immediate factor in the NBA playing vs grown-ass men and create his own shot vs those Men. And this could lead to the following Financial factor:

-- his goal is probably not to just make it to the NBA and get "a contract", but rather to be successful in the NBA and make even more than life-changing money, but make generational-changing money. And if he goes before he is physically ready, then in 3 years when it's time for that 2nd contract (which can be many times more than the 1st) he might not be able to maximize it compared to if he stayed 1 more year to get stronger and quicker and more able to create his own shot.

- and I agree with you that his family is not wealthy, but they are probably upper middle-class. So the weight is not on Reed's shoulders (same for DJ) to help his family out of generational poverty, like it is with many players.
- and lastly, NIL will not fully offset what he or anyone else can make in the NBA. But it could make it less of a factor. I mean $1M is a lot of money to a 20 yr old (really to almost anyone), even if it's not $8M.
- ok, 1 more. people also often say "but what if he gets hurt". Well 1), there are insurance policies for that. And 2), you can count on one hand over the past 20-30 years how many players have been hurt in college to the point that it significantly affected them being drafted or making it to the NBA.

Reactions: fospear and OBKYUK
An OK squad but not going to make a deep run. No chance.

I disagree on Perry. He is probably more of a scorer than Shepard. He can shoot from 3 almost as well and he can also create his own shot. I am not saying he is better. But he has some dawg in him and seems like he has control of his nerves.
I'm not saying he can't score. But most people think he is just a shooter/scorer. He is a better ball handler than either Patrick Sparks and Travis Ford (the two most recent PGs from western KY prior to Perry) and both of those guys were great ball handlers.

That's a 20 win team.

They'd finish 6th or 7th in the SEC and be begging for a tourney birth on Selection Sunday.

Cal is driving this program into the gutter, and we've still got fans asking, "Who is better that we could actually get to replace him?"

I think they'd be a 5 seed. Doesn't mean we would do anything in the NCAAs, but I'm sure they would get to 22-23 wins.

I've stated this several times on here, but fine, I'll do it once more.

First of all, I will not be shocked if Reed goes pro. But I will be shocked if he doesn't at least "test the waters".
To me it's close to a 50/50 on him leaving or staying. First there are non-financial factors that may contribute to his decision:
- is he maturity & emotionally ready to become a responsible adult living on his own in a very different environment than he ever has before (likely some major city, full of distractions)
- is he ready to prematurely end his "college experience"
- how important is his education to him (few players return for their degree, especially if not close to having it)
- how important is it for him to continue his childhood dream of playing for UK, and maybe even winning a championship for UK
- he is probably not strong enough or quick enough to be an immediate factor in the NBA playing vs grown-ass men and create his own shot vs those Men. And this could lead to the following Financial factor:

-- his goal is probably not to just make it to the NBA and get "a contract", but rather to be successful in the NBA and make even more than life-changing money, but make generational-changing money. And if he goes before he is physically ready, then in 3 years when it's time for that 2nd contract (which can be many times more than the 1st) he might not be able to maximize it compared to if he stayed 1 more year to get stronger and quicker and more able to create his own shot.

- and I agree with you that his family is not wealthy, but they are probably upper middle-class. So the weight is not on Reed's shoulders (same for DJ) to help his family out of generational poverty, like it is with many players.
- and lastly, NIL will not fully offset what he or anyone else can make in the NBA. But it could make it less of a factor. I mean $1M is a lot of money to a 20 yr old (really to almost anyone), even if it's not $8M.
- ok, 1 more. people also often say "but what if he gets hurt". Well 1), there are insurance policies for that. And 2), you can count on one hand over the past 20-30 years how many players have been hurt in college to the point that it significantly affected them being drafted or making it to the NBA.
Those are all great points. We all are speculating of course and only one person knows for sure and we'll know for sure in the coming weeks. I would like to see him back but I certainly wouldn't blame him at all for going.

Reactions: JonathanW
I'm not saying he can't score. But most people think he is just a shooter/scorer. He is a better ball handler than either Patrick Sparks and Travis Ford (the two most recent PGs from western KY prior to Perry) and both of those guys were great ball handlers.
Sparks yes, better ball handler than Ford ? Nope. Ford was the definition of point guard. He got the TEAM involved, scoring came second. It just so happens that he could really stroke it. Not sure Perry is even a better shooter than Ford. Ford proved his worth on the main stage (UK), Perry hopefully follows in his foot steps.

UK highlights :

428 assist in 3 years / had 193 his SR. year (6 per game)
Had 15 assist in one game
101 made 3's in a season (was the record for 16 years) Shot 53% from 3FG that year
Career 45% 3 point shooter at UK
Career 90% free throw shooter at UK

Travis Ford was a hell of a point guard and when needed, could really fill it up. But he was a set up point guard first, score second, he was just really good at both. They are both local, WKY kids who will / had a chance to shine on the big stage for the state school. They even share the same first name, played for their varsity team during middle school. IF Perry can just be as good as Travis Ford, we will be getting a very good / heady player. But to say Perry is better at both scoring and passing than Ford, is really doing Ford an injustice.
Ford averaged 31.7 points per game his SR. year at Madisonville North Hopkins, he was a assassin, and was in range as soon as he walked into the gym.

Reactions: delk4three
Not sure Perry is even a better shooter than Ford.

I sincerely doubt that he is better since Travis Ford hit some historically high % of his 3s. That said, if Boogie Fland got close he'd still be fantastic. Complaining or worrying because some player isn't the 1st or 2nd best player ever is a recipe for misery.

Don't be miserable.

Sparks yes, better ball handler than Ford ? Nope. Ford was the definition of point guard. He got the TEAM involved, scoring came second. It just so happens that he could really stroke it. Not sure Perry is even a better shooter than Ford. Ford proved his worth on the main stage (UK), Perry hopefully follows in his foot steps.

UK highlights :

428 assist in 3 years / had 193 his SR. year (6 per game)
Had 15 assist in one game
101 made 3's in a season (was the record for 16 years) Shot 53% from 3FG that year
Career 45% 3 point shooter at UK
Career 90% free throw shooter at UK

Travis Ford was a hell of a point guard and when needed, could really fill it up. But he was a set up point guard first, score second, he was just really good at both. They are both local, WKY kids who will / had a chance to shine on the big stage for the state school. They even share the same first name, played for their varsity team during middle school. IF Perry can just be as good as Travis Ford, we will be getting a very good / heady player. But to say Perry is better at both scoring and passing than Ford, is really doing Ford an injustice.
Ford averaged 31.7 points per game his SR. year at Madisonville North Hopkins, he was a assassin, and was in range as soon as he walked into the gym.
These comparisons of Perry next year to Ford (or Sparks) are silly, when people only remember the Jr/Sr Ford and the lone Sr Sparks years. Ford did not shoot well his FR year at Mizzo, nor his Soph year at UK (after sitting out a year).

Slightly interesting story. I was a TA at UK when Ford was there. And when he took a low-level Stats class I was the grader for that class. The classmate (fellow TA) teaching the class didn't know much about basketball (he was from Illinois), and he was surprised Ford was on the team given his height. According to him "there's no way Ford is 5'9, I'm 5'9 and he's shorter than me". I never went to the class to see for myself.

I sincerely doubt that he is better since Travis Ford hit some historically high % of his 3s. That said, if Boogie Fland got close he'd still be fantastic. Complaining or worrying because some player isn't the 1st or 2nd best player ever is a recipe for misery.

Don't be miserable.
That is what you took from my post ? I quoted another poster. I said BOTH are very good players. I simply stated if we ONLY get Travis Ford level from Perry, it would be great. He may end up being better, I simply said IMO he is not definitely a better shooter and passer. Travis (Ford) is a very good friend / high school teammate of mine, i was just replying to the poster stating Perry is a better point guard / scorer than Travis Ford. It is just simple message board discussions, nothing more, nothing less. Not EVERY poster who has discussions are miserable, might want to learn a little before calling someone out when you do not quite understand what is being said. It keeps the drama down. I do not do drama or misery, too old for that shit. We was not even discussing Boogie Fland, at least I wasn't in my post. I clearly stated "might be better than Sparks" (Travis Perry), but he is not better than Ford. Fland was not even mentioned so why you threw him in there, I have not a clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: FtWorthCat
That is what you took from my post ? I quoted another poster. I said BOTH are very good players. I simply stated if we ONLY get Travis Ford level from Perry, it would be great. He may end up being better, I simply said IMO he is not definitely a better shooter and passer. Travis (Ford) is a very good friend / high school teammate of mine, i was just replying to the poster stating Perry is a better point guard / scorer than Travis Ford. It is just simple message board discussions, nothing more, nothing less. Not EVERY poster who has discussions are miserable, might want to learn a little before calling someone out when you do not quite understand what is being said. It keeps the drama down. I do not do drama or misery, too old for that shit. We was not even discussing Boogie Fland, at least I wasn't in my post. I clearly stated "might be better than Sparks" (Travis Perry), but he is not better than Ford. Fland was not even mentioned so why you threw him in there, I have not a clue.

Simple confusion by me. Sorry.

As you were. Smoke if you got 'em.

These comparisons of Perry next year to Ford (or Sparks) are silly, when people only remember the Jr/Sr Ford and the lone Sr Sparks years. Ford did not shoot well his FR year at Mizzo, nor his Soph year at UK (after sitting out a year).

Slightly interesting story. I was a TA at UK when Ford was there. And when he took a low-level Stats class I was the grader for that class. The classmate (fellow TA) teaching the class didn't know much about basketball (he was from Illinois), and he was surprised Ford was on the team given his height. According to him "there's no way Ford is 5'9, I'm 5'9 and he's shorter than me". I never went to the class to see for myself.
Reading comprehension is your friend. Was not comparing, I said IF Perry is ONLY as good as Ford AT UK, we will be getting a very good player. He may end up being better, but even if he ONLY accomplishes what Ford did AT UK, we will be in great shape. I know what Ford did at Missouri, which is why I ONLY listed and said AT UK stats.

Reactions: FtWorthCat

SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
If Wagner and Reed come back, does Cal have it in him to bring his star PG recruit, Fland, off the bench and start Wagner and Reed? If not, then is he willing to finally start Reed over Wagner? If not, does that mean our best player will be coming off the bench again next year?

Maybe that's solved by starting all three of them, but that doesn't seem very like Cal, either.

Of course maybe we don't get Reed and/or Wagner back, who knows. Long way to go before next season, sigh.

SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
Perry didn’t play PG for his high school team … based on the 2 times I saw them play. Yes, he definitely handled the ball some, but he was a shooting guard.

Last edited:

SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
If we start 3 Freshmen, we will be nowhere near as good as this year’s team. That’ll make for another disappointing year.

Last edited:
Reactions: gojvc
He’s gonna burn the program down thanks to our puss AD. I hope the fb fans are happy. Barney is awful and watch fb is headed in the wrong direction. The fb heads did this by glorifying Barney. He should have been canned after joker Phillips

Reactions: SophiesDad

SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
Play in game, maybe 8 or 9 seed territory

Reactions: SophiesDad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT