ADVERTISEMENT

Will Knox and Alexander be the knockdown shooters.

Green is a good shooter. Jones is solid from 15 -17. Gabriel surprised me and knocked down some 3s. Brad can drill the 3 if he gets in the right situation. I hope we do utilize some spot up shooters like Baker more this year.

Reactions: smooth as butter
Baker is UK's top shooter. He could certainly play a role similar to what Doron Lamb played. Unfortunately, Baker might not get the minutes.

Contrary to popular belief, basketball teams have room for shooters (LOL). If the kid can knock down 3's at a clip near 40%, he should be in the lineup. UK is gonna get plenty of big time defense and athleticism everywhere else.

Without a shooter though, the season will end like most others.

GBB!!!

Don't start a rag on Brad trail. Nobody said we would be depending on him. If you watch him practice he can really shoot. Might be an opportunity somewhere sometime down the line.

Will these two talented frosh be the knockdown shooters that the cats need this season.

Knockdown shooters ... I don't expect it. (I consider knockdown shooters to be 37%+) Willis shot 37% last year and Monk shot 39%.

I expect their outside shot to be good enough to make people respect the shot, which opens up the lane for them to drive. I'm guessing both player's 3 pt% for the season to be in the 32%-35% range. This is right where Hawkins was last year. I wouldn't consider him a knockdown shooter, but I never minded him taking the shot when he had it.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
this team will have the most knockdown shooters cal has had...knox, green, diallo, baker, shai. im not even counting wenyen, skj. vando is a mystery we dont know.

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
this team will have the most knockdown shooters cal has had...knox, green, diallo, baker, shai. im not even counting wenyen, skj. vando is a mystery we dont know.

Just mail the hardware to Lexington. After all it is a year ending in 8.

It's our birthright you know?

Knox will be the first option.

Diallo will be the second option. He needs to show he is a reliable shooter. Cal will get him shots.

Green will probably be the third option. He has a good shot.

The 4 man (Gabriel, Vanderbilt, or Washington) will be the fourth option.

Gilgeous-Alexander and Baker probably won't get enough minutes to be considered reliable shooting options. Cal plays his highly ranked studs most of the minutes.

I wouldn’t consider any of the big time guys as “shooters.

Don’t get wrapped around percentages when describing shooters.

It’s more about shot selection, rhythm, and adjusting to the speed of the game.

Green, Knox, Baker, all can hit from deep very well. UK should be fine.

I think I've entered bizarro world. It seems smooth is asking a question rather than making some of left field statement. I really hope they can be smooth as that will help determine how far it takes us. How ya been smooth?

Knox will be the first option.

Diallo will be the second option. He needs to show he is a reliable shooter. Cal will get him shots.

Green will probably be the third option. He has a good shot.

The 4 man (Gabriel, Vanderbilt, or Washington) will be the fourth option.

Gilgeous-Alexander and Baker probably won't get enough minutes to be considered reliable shooting options. Cal plays his highly ranked studs most of the minutes.
Like he played killeya jones and gabriel over Willis? Also Alexander was rated higher than Green.

Reactions: KDcats11
Knockdown shooters ... I don't expect it. (I consider knockdown shooters to be 37%+) Willis shot 37% last year and Monk shot 39%.

I expect their outside shot to be good enough to make people respect the shot, which opens up the lane for them to drive. I'm guessing both player's 3 pt% for the season to be in the 32%-35% range. This is right where Hawkins was last year. I wouldn't consider him a knockdown shooter, but I never minded him taking the shot when he had it.

I've heard this before, "they just need to be respectable" and it never ends well.

These are freshman, being in large domes in the tournament is not usually kind to them. If they're average and "respectable" during the season, it's easier and more likely to dissapear under the big lights.

I wish Cal could get a kid that can light it up and stick around. I fear he'll miss 3 titles before he hangs it up simply on that alone.

I wouldn’t consider any of the big time guys as “shooters.

Don’t get wrapped around percentages when describing shooters.

It’s more about shot selection, rhythm, and adjusting to the speed of the game.

Green, Knox, Baker, all can hit from deep very well. UK should be fine.

But can they hit during the tournament against great competition at 18 years old? Stats dont matter, hitting against mississippi state doesnt matter, it's all about when.

I've always believed if you're relying on freshman threats from deep, winning a title is nearly impossible. So far we have won zero titles with a freshman shooting guard starting under Cal.

Something that is dismissed and shouldn't be.

Like he played killeya jones and gabriel over Willis? Also Alexander was rated higher than Green.

Willis was a seasoned veteran Senior. Can't compare him to Freshmen Baker and Gilgeous-Alexander. Apples and oranges. All things being equal (comparing Freshmen to other Freshmen), nine times out of ten Cal plays the higher ranked players.

And Green ranked higher than Gilgeous-Alexander in most of the rankings. I go by the composite rankings. Green is 24 and Gilgeous-Alexander is 29. Green is a 5-star. Gilgeous-Alexander is a 4-star. Green was a McD's AA and a Jordan Brand AA, Gilgeous-Alexander was not. All signs point to Green being the better player.

I could be wrong, but I think Green will get most of the minutes at PG. I see Gilgeous-Alexander getting 10-12 minutes max.

Just my opinion, though.

I worry a tab bit about SGA and his slow set shot. Kickouts are going to be key but I'm having a hard time seeing him get that shot of consistencly. A zone would really help him but man to man may give him fitzs.

i think of a knock down shooter as someone who, when they get open it's going in and your shocked when it doesn't. we haven't had one of those since lamb, before that it was meeks and then you have to go back to prince. they just don't come around very often.

Will these two talented frosh be the knockdown shooters that the cats need this season.
On this board, Knox has acquired a rep as a perimeter shooter. I have seen him play, and I'm not sure where this comes from. Knox hits an occasional perimeter shot, but he isn't a deadly perimeter scorer. His best scoring looks are inside the paint. There is still a myth that Knox will be a guard at UK. That isn't happening. Starting guards are Green and Diallo. SGA will be 1st guard off the bench. SGA is a pretty good perimeter shooter, but he won't play huge minutes if Diallo and Green stay healthy. Some people will probably disagree, but I think Knox's primary impact will be in our transition game and on the offensive board. When we are in our half court offense, I look for Diallo, Washington, SKJ to be our go-to scorers. After a year with Kenny Payne, SKJ will score inside the paint, although staying on the floor will require him to move his feet on the defensive end.

I've always believed if you're relying on freshman threats from deep, winning a title is nearly impossible. So far we have won zero titles with a freshman shooting guard starting under Cal.
Marquis Teague was a freshman who spent time at point and shooting guard.
b20cf6b76ba0fa6d3a46f325afc4e50b--uk-basketball-kentucky-basketball.jpg

That's like saying, "will KD and Shaun Livingston be the knockdown shooters the warriors need this season?"

i think of a knock down shooter as someone who, when they get open it's going in and your shocked when it doesn't. we haven't had one of those since lamb, before that it was meeks and then you have to go back to prince. they just don't come around very often.
That Murray kid was a decent shooter.

I agree we have yet to win a title but to the question can a freshman shooting guard deliver in the tourney well Knight hit a clutch 3, Aaron hit 2 game winners and a game sealer that took the cats to the title game and Monk hit a tightly defended clutch 3 against UNC. Those come to mind. I do feel that a team of Sophomores and Freshmen have a very remote chance of winning because I believe you need great talent blended with experience.
But can they hit during the tournament against great competition at 18 years old? Stats dont matter, hitting against mississippi state doesnt matter, it's all about when.

Something that is dismissed and shouldn't be.[/QUOT

No, Knox and SGA will not be "knock down shooters". And I am taking that as someone who can make 38% or more.
Neither will Diallo, Green, Vanderbilt, Washington, Gabriel, or probably anyone else that plays.
Baker has the potential, but in a numbers crunch I just don't see him playing much this year.

But I do think all of our guys (except our 5's) can make 30%+. So shooting won't be a strength, but I think we will shoot respectable enough to keep teams somewhat honest. And I think we may have some guys who in the 2nd half of the season shoot 35-38%, just by knowing better when to/not-to shoot, and what are their spots and what spots their teammates shoot well from.

By the end of the year, I think Knox will be pretty clutch.

I remember Aaron Harrison wasn't suppose to be a great shooter, but hit clutch shots down the stretch.

Monk was suppose to be a suspect shooter (30% from 3 in AAU ball), and shot the ball very well for us.

Sometimes, it just takes some coaching to learn when to shoot and when not to shoot. Shot selection is something you learn.

I've heard this before, "they just need to be respectable" and it never ends well.

These are freshman, being in large domes in the tournament is not usually kind to them. If they're average and "respectable" during the season, it's easier and more likely to dissapear under the big lights.

I wish Cal could get a kid that can light it up and stick around. I fear he'll miss 3 titles before he hangs it up simply on that alone.

Agree with most of what you say. OP asked if either player would be 'knockdown shooters.' Everyone has their own definition of this term. I stated what I expect their shooting % to be when the season is over.

I agree that shooters make a team tough to defend. Btw - I do expect for Cal to follow the NBA trend with putting 5 good shooters on the floor. I think he'll let his big man shoot the ball more from distance if they prove they can knock some down. That was the one thing I wished he'd done with Skal. (Cal really needs us armchair coaches to help him out ;-) Again, I agree with you about needing some shooters on the floor.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT