ADVERTISEMENT

If Dillingham, Reeves and Sheppard are gone ??

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
How do we replace the scoring and balance that these three tremendous shooters, who shot 44.4%, 44.7% and 52.1%, respectively, from beyond the arc and provided almost 48 points a game ?? It seems to me that unless there are consistent scoring threats in the Freshman recruiting class, we will simply HAVE to recruit several QUALITY portal transfers to be better next year. With poorer outside shooting, if that ends being the case, we will struggle.

Without addressing who will be coach ... very simply, what kind of roster and personnel do we need to be a better team next year ??

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
They are gone, and none of the recruits we have for next year are good shooters. The ‘bring cal back’ people aren’t seemingly thinking about the pressure and attitude that would be directed at those kids next year if he did come back. It wouldn’t be a fun or fair situation for them.

There’s no way the next class will be as talented or as likable as the one we just failed miserably with. This whole summer and the entire season next year would be absolutely miserable and negativity off the charts. Idk why anyone wants to do this again.

If things stay as they are, need shooters and absolutely need bigs that can rebound and block shots.

Reactions: megablue
They are gone, and none of the recruits we have for next year are good shooters. The ‘bring cal back’ people aren’t seemingly thinking about the pressure and attitude that would be directed at those kids next year if he did come back. It wouldn’t be a fun or fair situation for them.

There’s no way the next class will be as talented or as likable as the one we just failed miserably with. This whole summer and the entire season next year would be absolutely miserable and negativity off the charts. Idk why anyone wants to do this again.
Based on my review of the incoming class, I see the same things you do. The portal is an absolute must, the way I see it, to get experienced players and avoid so many Freshmen minutes.

Better get a new coach today and hit the portal and NIL. Lots of really good players would love to be at UK and play for the school and fans not the draft
Whenever UK does decide to move on, I hope Mitch (or maybe a new competent AD) will look to find a coach who coaches for the name on the front of the jersey and not the back. I'm tired of the "players first" program. I want a coach who thinks winning is what's most important, not catering to some kid's fragile ego. The world is tough, get a helmet! The sooner kids learn that lesson the better. Coddling someone is not going to turn them into an NBA player.

Have to get the next Knect and find another Reeves in the portal. Also need an experienced PG to run the offense and someone that can play hard-nosed defense. What these guys are lacking in shooting, hopefully they will be better defensively as a whole.

Reactions: megablue
How do we replace the scoring and balance that these three tremendous shooters, who shot 44.4%, 44.7% and 52.1%, respectively, from beyond the arc and provided almost 48 points a game ?? It seems to me that unless there are consistent scoring threats in the Freshman recruiting class, we will simply HAVE to recruit several QUALITY portal transfers to be better next year. With poorer outside shooting, if that ends being the case, we will struggle.

Without addressing who will be coach ... very simply, what kind of roster and personnel do we need to be a better team next year ??

We have lots of evidence to show that what we consider a quality roster has only been fools' gold. We have repeatedly lost to teams that weren't considered to have good rosters. Maybe just maybe we no longer know what a good roster looks like. We should get a good coach and trust that he knows how to build a quality roster for 2025 and moving forward vs what was considered a good roster in the early mid 2000s.

If Cal leaves we will have to replace the whole team. The players came to play for Cal, even Sheppard is very loyal to him.

If he returns, we will still need to replace all but 3-4 players who may return.

Either way, it’s likely a brand new team next season, so it’s a good time to make changes.

If I’m Cal and I want to stay and win, then I’m talking some guys into returning. Especially Sheppard.

If Cal leaves we will have to replace the whole team. The players came to play for Cal, even Sheppard is very loyal to him.

If he returns, we will still need to replace all but 3-4 players who may return.

Either way, it’s likely a brand new team next season, so it’s a good time to make changes.

If I’m Cal and I want to stay and win, then I’m talking some guys into returning. Especially Sheppard.
Reed's dad stayed to play for Tubby when Pitino left and it worked out for him. But everyone else, yes, probably.

Reed ain't leaving UK like this . UK is in his blood I cannot think he leaves no mater he top 10 or not. I think he would be first rd not lottery tho after workouts.

If Reed goes to the NBA next season, he and all of his advisers are delusional about his readiness.
It doesn’t make a lot of difference if He is ready or not. If He is a high pick. I still believe He will comeback.

If they’re all gone then more players will take their places. Hopefully w/o you know who. I’d love for some of our guys to stay, but not at the expense of keeping you know who.

Reactions: TM2013
I think the Sheppard's are fonder of Tubby and Rick than Cal, also I don't think Reed would follow Cal anywhere, I may be wrong I just don't think he would. I hate to think everyone on Kentucky's roster would leave if Cal does. I would say most of the ones that have transferred out and there is several that has, was because of Cal.

If Reed goes to the NBA next season, he and all of his advisers are delusional about his readiness.
So every single person who gets paid to put together mock drafts is wrong about him? The NBA drafts on POTENTIAL. He may not be ready to be Steph Curry tomorrow, but a year or two working on nothing but basketball does a lot.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
So every single person who gets paid to put together mock drafts is wrong about him? The NBA drafts on POTENTIAL. He may not be ready to be Steph Curry tomorrow, but a year or two working on nothing but basketball does a lot.
What is on paper doesn't put points on the board. We had a team full of paper tigers this year. They all came with their 5-stars with great rating from those who supposed to know the game. Unfortunately, it didn't translate into numbers that matter. Reed was my favorite player throughout the season, and I receive a lot of hell from posters because of my support for him. However, Reed's mock draft position has more to do with the weakness of this draft than his superstar metrics. There isn't a true franchise player in this year's draft. So, you will understand why I am not impressed. Reed is more physically than mentally prepared for the NBA.

Reactions: Jwright07
This is easy, if they all stay we will suck, and if they all go we will suck. It matters not.

Going to be tough to replace. Insane to think cal voluntarily decided to not play them together as much as possible.

If all of the starters left, we have Fland, Perry, and Hart.

What is the objection? Fland is a taller Dillingham. A real slithery eel of a guard. Travis and Hart shoot as well as anyone needs. What exactly is the anxiety? Are you addicted to one-and-done talent but just can't admit it? At some point, the program will have to adjust to "ordinary excellence",

If Reed does stay at UK (for whatever reason) that would be the best recruiting tool we have in our hand. Guys would love to come play with him because he will make them better.

If all of the starters left, we have Fland, Perry, and Hart.

What is the objection? Fland is a taller Dillingham. A real slithery eel of a guard. Travis and Hart shoot as well as anyone needs. What exactly is the anxiety? Are you addicted to one-and-done talent but just can't admit it? At some point, the program will have to adjust to "ordinary excellence",
LOL

I'm not getting my hopes up on Reed, but there's still a lot of reasons for him to come back, and that would be huge. I think there's even a chance that the coach doesn't matter.. he will either play for Cal again, or play for the next guy (so long as the relationships are OK with either).. because he's looking to build a legacy at Kentucky, not with the coach.

I also think the loss to Oakland really wasn't a good look for him. He looked and played afraid, and that wasn't the first time we've seen this. If I'm a GM picking in the top10, I'm just not sure I can draft what's so obviously just a kid still. I don't think he's ready for the NBA from a mentality standpoint. Physically and talent wise, he's there.. but I think he needs another season of college.

I'm not getting my hopes up on Reed, but there's still a lot of reasons for him to come back, and that would be huge. I think there's even a chance that the coach doesn't matter.. he will either play for Cal again, or play for the next guy (so long as the relationships are OK with either).. because he's looking to build a legacy at Kentucky, not with the coach.

I also think the loss to Oakland really wasn't a good look for him. He looked and played afraid, and that wasn't the first time we've seen this. If I'm a GM picking in the top10, I'm just not sure I can draft what's so obviously just a kid still. I don't think he's ready for the NBA from a mentality standpoint. Physically and talent wise, he's there.. but I think he needs another season of college.
Agree. He's very poised, but he showed he's not immune to anxiety on the court.

If Cal is gone I don't think he comes back. It would be a ton of changes all at one time and he already is probably leaning draft.

Agree. He's very poised, but he showed he's not immune to anxiety on the court.

It's just something that, if I'm an NBA GM.. I look at and think "Oh man, this kid could get totally swallowed up by the NBA if he's not careful, this isn't the year for him to go".

Even his poise seemed to waiver down the stretch. Not just Oakland but a few games leading up to the final of the season. Sloppy passes, a lost look on his face. That 3-man weave dunk that had Reed totally looking like a junior high kid out there.. it would make me pump the breaks. And it's absolutely ZERO fault of Reed's. None. He will get there. But I think this is a kid who thought he was going to play in college for 3-4 years and this is all hitting him a little too fast.

The kid who scored 32 against us didn't start. Bringing shooters off the bench isn't a singular strategy.

Lol. I can't believe anyone is defending leaving two top 10 guys on the bench while we fall behind out of the gate, but here we are.

We literally had the potential #1 overall pick intentionally sitting while DJ was providing nothing

Lol. I can't believe anyone is defending leaving two top 10 guys on the bench while we fall behind out of the gate, but here we are.

We literally had the potential #1 overall pick intentionally sitting while DJ was providing nothing
The draft statute is speculative. And looks toward future development. The player coming off the bench is still the freshman version. And both had obvious deficiency as defenders.

In general, sweeping declarations and ridicule aren’t as effective as the board seems to imagine. Most of us adults here. To varying degree.

Are there any intriguing prospects from the transfer portal Cal may look at for next season?

I just had a nightmare that Reed comes in all Jimmy Chitwood from Hoosiers:

“Wanted you all to know I plan on playing at UK this season. But if I play, Cal stays. If he goes, I go”

We can’t, we won’t be close to this kinda shooting team again under Cal. Even retaining him these 3 won’t return. Only Sheppard is a slight possibility and that won’t happen with his draft stock in my opinion at least.

It's just something that, if I'm an NBA GM.. I look at and think "Oh man, this kid could get totally swallowed up by the NBA if he's not careful, this isn't the year for him to go".

Even his poise seemed to waiver down the stretch. Not just Oakland but a few games leading up to the final of the season. Sloppy passes, a lost look on his face. That 3-man weave dunk that had Reed totally looking like a junior high kid out there.. it would make me pump the breaks. And it's absolutely ZERO fault of Reed's. None. He will get there. But I think this is a kid who thought he was going to play in college for 3-4 years and this is all hitting him a little too fast.
I do agree, I don’t understand how his stock is that high. He has some weaknesses in his game that may not be able to be fixed without maturing a little more. Strength, and ability to read defense are big one. People say the NBA doesn’t play defense but that’s not true, everyone rotates to their man extremely fast and knows where they need to be on the court. Reed is a ball watcher who wasn’t taught any solid principles in college so far.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

I agree, he didn’t look like the same player the last 3 weeks or so. Very tentative, scared, and lost. He wasn’t aggressive on offense in the slightest and appeared totally lost on defense. That is a huge issue with the entire team but him and Dilly had the worst basic guarding position and rotations ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT