ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you believe will be our coach next season? And who do you want as our coach for next season?.... Is this the time for Billy Donovan?...

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2024/03/22/kentucky-about-billy-donovan/
I believe Billy Donovan who once lived in Lexington for 5 years & while here as an assistant coach coached Reed Sheppard's dad Jeff. It's been reported that UK has contacted Donovan..... I believe Donovan will be our next coach.

Who I want as our coach starting next season. Either Billy Donovan, Jay Wright or Dan Hurley either of these 3 would be a Grand slam, Slam dunk, Homerun hire. It would be the talk of the sport world for the next several days.

Last edited:
Why would Donovan leave the NBA to deal with NIL, spoiled ass kids, agencies, handlers, recruiting, etc? The same question could be asked of Wright as well. There’s a reason they left for the NBA and retired respectively.

I asked myself that same question. The only thing I will say is Donovan has been on the edge of the hot seat in Chicago, has to coach 82 games a year, and makes $3 mil less than what Cal makes.

Overall I still think there’s about a 1% chance he would take the UK job, but if he did I would assume those would be the reasons why.

Unfortunately, I think the odds are slightly greater that Cal is the coach. I wish he wasn't. And frankly, I'm just about over trying to get myself emotionally invested in the success of a team when the coach isn't invested in it at all. I'm afraid if he's here, I will pay less attention than I ever have in 40 years of being a UK fan.

As far as who I want to coach here? Besides Cal, I honestly don't care as long as they put the program's success first and are doing everything they can to win every basketball game. I'm serious - they could hire a janitor and it would be an improvement for me.

Jay Wright just feels right. The timing is perfect, the financial situation is perfect, he would immediately bring back the fan base, boosters, and administrators.

I’d give Donovan the edge as far as impact, but man, basically hiring Wright fresh off the street with no strings attached, winner winner, chicken dinner.

Hurley would be my 3rd call, but the timing and financial situation is less than ideal, when compared to Donovan and especially Wright.

Edit: May not excite some, but Bruce Pearl would be my 4th call, and I believe he could have a really great 8-10 run before retiring.

Jay Wright just feels right. The timing is perfect, the financial situation is perfect, he would immediately bring back the fan base, boosters, and administrators.

I’d give Donovan the edge as far as impact, but man, basically hiring Wright fresh off the street with no strings attached, winner winner, chicken dinner.

Hurley would be my 3rd call, but the timing and financial situation is less than ideal, when compared to Donovan and especially Wright.

Edit: May not excite some, but Bruce Pearl would be my 4th call, and I believe he could have a really great 8-10 run before retiring.
3 serious great options , and 1 jackass .. Never Pearl . Never Ever .

Hurley would be #1 for me. The coach of UK men’s bb has to be able to handle a massive spotlight and not have thin skin when it comes to criticism. How many potential candidates fit that profile? Lots of good coaches out there but, not very many that can endure the pressure that comes with the job.

I would want Donovan first. People act like there’s no chance with him but wasn’t he close to coming here once and then backed out at the last minute?
He turned us down 2 times. I don't want him to have a third chance. If we weren't good enough the first two times, I don't want him to have a third opportunity to say no. And yes, I hold grudges in this situation.

Who’s reporting that Donovan has been contacted? I’ve not seen that & other than Matt & pilgrim on ksr, not seen other media go those routes other than to talk about the relationship between cal & uk in general.

Its either Drew or we’re keeping cal, we might as well face the facts then I will say there’s going to be assistants changed is all.

Reactions: JerseyCat84
I agree. That's a big NO for Donovan from me. But I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter to those in charge.🤣🤣
Doesn’t matter who is in charge. Donovan himself hates UK and would never coach here under any circumstance. UK has zero say in this. Fans need to let this go

Reactions: susan2361
If Donovan and the Bulls do part ways this season. I don’t see him going to another NBA team. His track record in the NBA really has not been that overwhelming. Billy is still only in his 50s so I can’t see him just not coaching anywhere. If he does come back to college, he’s not gonna come back to some small no-name team and start over. Billy has an ego just like Patino and Cal. He comes back to college, he’s gonna wanna be back on top immediately. What other place could he step into other than Kentucky right now and immediately be back on the top of college basketball? In my opinion, if he comes back to college, it will be Kentucky. I’m 100% for it.

Last edited:
He turned us down 2 times. I don't want him to have a third chance. If we weren't good enough the first two times, I don't want him to have a third opportunity to say no. And yes, I hold grudges in this situation.
That might be the " female" post ever . No one holds grudges like females .... LOL ,I say that in a humorous way .. it's human nature for females I guess , guys drink a beer after a fist fight , ladies wait 3 decades to claw your eyes out !!!!

Longer it goes , more likely Big Benny is back . Because there will be a TON of moving parts to release/pay/fire/demote Benny .. with all those moving parts someone will talk to the press .. with no word means no real action. Pray something breaks , even if we are contacting coaches still playing , that word leaks out . Need to hear something solid soon or we may get stuck with him. Would be a Ky tragedy .

I keep reading on here that anyone is better than Cal and then how no coach is good enough for us except for ones who are unlikely candidates.

Reactions: bluesundown
No one has mentioned Mark Pope or Jamie Dixon. I think along with the coach at Iowa State these might be names to consider. The coach at Iowa State has certainly turned that program around.

Who I think our coach will most likely be:
1. Calipari
2. Scott Drew
3. Jay Wright
4. Bruce Pearl

Who I want:
1. Billy Donovan
2. Dan Hurley
3. Brad Stevens
4. Mark Few
5. Jay Wright
6.Rick Pitino
7. Mike Budenholzer
8. Eric Musselman
9. Nate Oats
10. Bruce Pearl
11. Scott Drew

Last edited:
Reactions: dynastydreamuk
I don’t think Mitch would touch Pearl with his past issues. I only assume he would be one of the last Mitch would contact. If it’s drew, it’s not gonna be fun times. There doesn’t seem to be any good options outside of the probably impossible few

About how I’d handle it too but Tommy Lloyd would be my 4th and then you get into the Sean Miller/Pearl range

There's a movie: Beautiful Girls. It's set in some small rust belt town in the middle of winter. One of the guys the movie follows around is just a sad sack. He's got a business clearing drives of snow. Mostly he drinks. His walls have posters of supermodels. He's particularly stuck on Elle MacPherson.

If Calipari is driven off, BBN will have run off 3 coaches in a row. 2 with National Championships. It's now on the level of that sad sack. Because when you've run off 3 coaches in a row, your sport isn't basketball. It's running off coaches. But, BBN lists the most eligible coaches in the country. waiting for Elle MacPherson to come through that door.

If I remember correctly the main reason why Donovan didn’t come here in the past was because his mentor, none other than Rick Pitino himself, advised him not to. That’s what I always heard anyway. Not sure what kind of relationship they have today.

There's a movie: Beautiful Girls. It's set in some small rust belt town in the middle of winter. One of the guys the movie follows around is just a sad sack. He's got a business clearing drives of snow. Mostly he drinks. His walls have posters of supermodels. He's particularly stuck on Elle MacPherson.

If Calipari is driven off, BBN will have run off 3 coaches in a row. 2 with National Championships. It's now on the level of that sad sack. Because when you've run off 3 coaches in a row, your sport isn't basketball. It's running off coaches. But, BBN lists the most eligible coaches in the country. waiting for Elle MacPherson to come through that door.
You just can’t let fear direct your decisions and you cannot ignore reality the truth is Elle turned into Oprah

The 3 MOST exciting hires that WOULD unite the fan base are:

Jay Wright
Billy Donovan
Dan Hurley

Those are the 3 CLEAR choices. The question Mitch has to discover, is will any of those 3 actually say yes?

Reactions: Wildcatjedi

and Cal was Elle MacPherson when he took the job.... now he has let himself go....

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT