ADVERTISEMENT

What’s going on at Dayton

42% from 3….. I don’t have the whole team % but where did Dayton land on the season as team for 3 point % ? Would he be one to go after ?

Reactions: Fox2monk
war football GIF

Why even bother with recruiting out of high school. Assemble a roster in April one you know what you need and
get a good balanced team . Can’t really bring in 12 guys expecting to start though.

I'm guessing Dayton has a VERY LIMITED NIL budget. These guys know they'll probably never play in the NBA.

Now is their chance to make $ playing basketball, and play on a platform that creates more future opportunities.

I'm not opposed to NIL. But, It'll devastate programs like Dayton.
The interesting thing that will happen with programs like this is that the young men that do go there will really appreciate being there and having the scholarship.

For instance, my son has low level D1 offers in soccer, and he’s elated with that! If more and more players avoid more and more programs because they can’t get paid, then there will be more opportunity for fringe D1 basketball players and the programs will be better for having them in many ways. And it’s not like Dayton was ever going to win a title regardless of the era.

Reactions: d2atTech
The interesting thing that will happen with programs like this is that the young men that do go there will really appreciate being there and having the scholarship.

For instance, my son has low level D1 offers in soccer, and he’s elated with that! If more and more players avoid more and more programs because they can’t get paid, then there will be more opportunity for fringe D1 basketball players and the programs will be better for having them in many ways. And it’s not like Dayton was ever going to win a title regardless of the era.
Don’t forget, Dayton was going to be a #1 seed the year tourn got cancelled. (I think!)

I don’t think the Daytons of the world will have trouble bringing in same caliber of player they always have. Lots of players develop so much their first 1-3 years in college at any level.

Their problem is going to be holding on to their best seasoned players! P5 coaches realize a veteran college player brings more to a program than most freshmen. (There will usually be 8-10 freshmen that can immediately make a major contribution.) From a coach’s perspective, they have tape on guys in the portal and that tape is not against HS talent.

From a player’s perspective, competitors want to compete at the highest level …. PLUS make good money while doing it.

I agree 110% with you. Smaller schools will have to bring in more freshmen because they’re replacing graduates plus players who transferred up to bigger programs.

Also going to see a lot of these smaller schools start having access to freshman they would’ve never landed before from a talent perspective.

As the bigger schools load up on proven and experienced players they’ll be less room for incomings. These guys will have to sign a notch below what they may have 5 years ago.

I'm guessing Dayton has a VERY LIMITED NIL budget. These guys know they'll probably never play in the NBA.

Now is their chance to make $ playing basketball, and play on a platform that creates more future opportunities.

I'm not opposed to NIL. But, It'll devastate programs like Dayton.
It certainly won't help.

in a few short years the nil/portal will reduce smaller schools to high school level basketball if things stay as they are

Reactions: Fox2monk
in a few short years the nil/portal will reduce smaller schools to high school level basketball if things stay as they are
As somebody stated earlier, these schools will start having access to high school kids they didn't have access to before. When schools take more transfers than freshmen, the number of freshman recruits to the higher level schools will open the doors to these schools for them, but then those kids that pan out will just transfer up in a year or two. Schools like Dayton will become feeder schools.

Mid majors like Dayton will never be able to sustain long term success now. As soon as they land good players they will be off to the highest bidder after one season.
Shame what College sports have became. It's even worse though in football. Basketball teams like Dayton can land 2-3 good players and have success for a year in their conference.

What's going on at UK, our entire roster turned over
A coaching change ? We lost 6 guys who was committed from high school and couple / few that was not freshman transferred and / or followed their previous coach who recruited them. But a coaching change was the direct effect of all of them, except maybe Bradshaw, Burks and Hart, they may have still transferred even if Cal was still here.

the days of cinderella teams in the tournament are numbered. i’m curious to see how it all affects the popularity of march madness

Reactions: hmt5000
Why even bother with recruiting out of high school. Assemble a roster in April one you know what you need and
get a good balanced team . Can’t really bring in 12 guys expecting to start though.
Continuity, roster development, upside.

After this season the Covid year sunsets so the age differential will dial back at least somewhat too so talent will weigh at least a bit heavier.

Reactions: KYExtemper
It is now about how much they can get paid for playing CBB. Very few care about the school they go too. If changes are not made with the NIL there are going to be a lot of smaller schools that will be hard to put players on the floor.

Sounds exactly like capitalism, which is the system we all favor correct? Think of Dayton as the mom and pop grocery store and UK as Walmart.

A coaching change ? We lost 6 guys who was committed from high school and couple / few that was not freshman transferred and / or followed their previous coach who recruited them. But a coaching change was the direct effect of all of them, except maybe Bradshaw, Burks and Hart, they may have still transferred even if Cal was still here.
Well yeah, we have had an almost new roster every year. Now it's everybody

Well yeah, we have had an almost new roster every year. Now it's everybody
He was talking about the OFF season. We do not normally lose 5 incoming recruits BEFORE they arrive, we lose after a year, not before the year. HUGE difference. Even signing more portal guys, with the talent we had coming in, we wouldn't not have had to be so hectic in the portal and could have been a lot more selective. We could have really use Fland, JQ, a couple others at least and the best part is, they would not have had to play 25-30 minutes a game, they could progress at a normal freshman pace. I am glad we will not have to depend on 6 freshman every year, but also do not want to try and fill a roster with ALL portal guys every year either. MY opinion, I truly think Karter Knox will be very good, most on here are not that high on him, I am. I love his game and how it has transformed to a more three level scorer. His shooting is getting better every day, he is no longer JUST a attack the rim player.

Sounds exactly like capitalism, which is the system we all favor correct? Think of Dayton as the mom and pop grocery store and UK as Walmart.
the problem with you analogy is Walmart doesn't need mom and pop,

College athletics needs to field teams that are competitive.

College is the new nba and mid majors are the new g-league
It’s worse than the NBA, because the NBA has structure and clearly understood rules that everyone respects and follows. College basketball does not, it’s now basically free for all anarchy.

College basketball is now essentially what the NBA would be If it did not have a salary cap, draft, fixed term contracts and everybody was a free agent for sale every year.

Nothing wrong with Dayton. They simply can't offer enough to retain players they have developed. This system is terrible for smaller schools. They develop guys who then leave for schools like us.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT