ADVERTISEMENT

Whitney

track42

Senior
Feb 18, 2017
I have a friend who lives in the area and has watched him play most of his games.He said he is very athletic,plays hard on defense and rebounds well.But I was surprised when he also said that he is still raw on offense and might take time to develop that part of his game.I have just seen highlight clips and am curious if others have watched him much and know about his offensive game.

I have a friend who lives in the area and has watched him play most of his games.He said he is very athletic,plays hard on defense and rebounds well.But I was surprised when he also said that he is still raw on offense and might take time to develop that part of his game.I have just seen highlight clips and am curious if others have watched him much and know about his offensive game.
I know Cal recruited him and that is all I need to know.

Maxey is going to be the man for us next year imo. We need 2 more guys that can create their own offense. I think EJ will be one of them.

If we get another then Whitney will be able to just be an athlete/motor guy on the wing that finishes plays a/la Diallo when Diallo was at his best.

Part of the issue with Diallo was we needed him to do more than what he was capable of and he kind of got exposed because of it. As long as Whitney isn’t in that same position him and Uk will work out really well for each other imo.

Taller version of Diallo, but better defender.

Next year’s team will have to play very fast for Whitney to have much impact on offensive end. He’ll struggle in offensive sets. He could feast if he becomes offensive rebounding machine.

I think that is accurate from what I have heard and read. I believe fans will expect too much from him too soon. But...imagine that, right? Lol

Reactions: Hopediamond
Pa
I’m sure he’d improve but Herro made a grand total of 3 three-pointers in four NCAA games.
part
of that was the game plan in all those games was to go inside. We have to have more than one three point shooters in the game at the same time .We didn’t have that this year hopefully we will next season!

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
I agree that EJ has a ton of upside. He needs to play with more confidence but he could be a big player for the team next year

Give me:

C - Sestina
F - Whitney
G - Herro
G - Maxey
G - Hagans

Shot blocking be damned.

https://www.state-journal.com/2019/...itney-anxious-to-start-playing-with-wildcats/

"Whitney also talks with Kentucky freshmen Ashton Hagans, Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson.

“They tell me how workouts go, what to expect when I get there and just how to fit in and make my place when I get to Kentucky,” Whitney said.

He says those who have compared him to Johnson are accurate — with one exception.

“Me and Keldon both have that dog mentality. We both like to get out in transition a lot,” Whitney said. “I feel like I can shoot the ball a little bit better than him, but other than that we are the same type player.”

He also knows Kentucky sophomore center Nick Richards, another player from New Jersey. They played against each other four times during Whitney’s sophomore season — and Richards’ team won all four games.

Richards describes Whitney as a “pretty athletic, pretty aggressive dude.” The UK sophomore says New Jersey has a lot of good athletes, including three playing in this year’s McDonald’s Game.

“Me and Nick have a pretty good relationship and hopefully he is there when I get there and we can get a national championship,” Whitney said."

:popcorn:

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I haven’t seen anything at all about him, but judging off of the past 10 years I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he is an extremely young, athletic, raw, athlete who has upside on the defensive end but struggles with his shot?
That's kinda what he looked like in the McDonald's game.
Never did get in the flow offensively but had a great block on the baseline.
Looked like he had been shot out of a cannon

247 Scouting Report:

"In the mold of a quintessential high-level NBA scoring wing. Quality height at 6-6 with strength and explosive athleticism. Proficient scorer at all three levels. Effective in transition and in the half court as a scorer. Not a distributor and prone to turn the ball over excessively. Rebounds position well and has potential as a defender. Lottery pick-type potential." Reggie Bullock is NBA comparison.

NBA Draft Room Scouting Report:

Strengths
  • Plays both ends of the floor
  • Has elite level athleticism, power, agility and leaping ability
  • Has become a dangerous 1 on 1 player who can get his shot off the dribble
  • Rises up with great form on his jumper. Is quickly expanding his range.
Weaknesses
  • Needs to continue to develop his guard skills and tighten up his handles
  • Isn't yet a knockdown shooter
Comparisons
  • Kawhi (this comparison gets thrown around a lot but it's just a solid comp for Kahlil)

2xqf8c.jpg

From the times I have seen him play, he reminds me of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He can shoot, but that is not his calling card. He is best in the open floor, attacking the basket. He will have to work on his handle, and his outside shooting, especially from the arc, but he is an animal at attacking the basket, defending and rebounding. If we need shooting at that position, we will have Allen, and Brooks.

Dude is a beast. I know we've thrown MKG comparisons around a lot since 2012. Well, IMO, he's closer to MKG than any player we've had. Whitney is a better shooter, but MKG had a better handle. OAD high lottery pick.

From the times I have seen him play, he reminds me of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He can shoot, but that is not his calling card. He is best in the open floor, attacking the basket. He will have to work on his handle, and his outside shooting, especially from the arc, but he is an animal at attacking the basket, defending and rebounding. If we need shooting at that position, we will have Allen, and Brooks.
Agreed 100%. Was actually posting basically what you did. Lol

Reactions: FFWhite
Maxey is going to be the man for us next year imo. We need 2 more guys that can create their own offense. I think EJ will be one of them.

If we get another then Whitney will be able to just be an athlete/motor guy on the wing that finishes plays a/la Diallo when Diallo was at his best.

Part of the issue with Diallo was we needed him to do more than what he was capable of and he kind of got exposed because of it. As long as Whitney isn’t in that same position him and Uk will work out really well for each other imo.

So best case Diallo, worst case Matthews?

I agree about Maxey & EJ. Who will be that 3rd scorer?

Pa
part
of that was the game plan in all those games was to go inside. We have to have more than one three point shooters in the game at the same time .We didn’t have that this year hopefully we will next season!
The game plan may have been to go inside but he still shot 16 in those games, so he was 3/16 for 19% from 3 in the tournament. He averaged 4 attempts from 3 per game in the tournament. So while the game plan may have been to go inside, that didn't really contribute to him only making 3. He just shot it poorly. Now a lot of him shooting it poorly probably has to do with your second point. He was really the only threat from the outside and defenses could concentrate on him.

During the AAU season, he had no problem scoring at all 3 levels. He shoots a lot better than people give him credit. I see no reason why he can't be a 35% 3-point shooter here.

So best case Diallo, worst case Matthews?

I agree about Maxey & EJ. Who will be that 3rd scorer?
Goofy trying to comparing him to Diallo?

1. Whitney is a full 2-3 inches taller than Hami...and bigger/stronger as well. So we're talking about a kid who will play more closer to the basket
2. Whitney is a tremendous penetrator and strong with the ball....People tend to focus on Hami's leaping strength and shooting weakness. But his biggest dissapointment was he had zero ability to attack the rim on half court as his handles were really poor. Watch the video of Whitney in McD practicies....he's a plus handler
3. Finally, Hami had no great motor. All reads are Whitney is a top notch motor.

Whitney's better comparison is MKG/Liggins type....not Diallo.

One thing mkg did for us was finish a ton of fast breaks. Cal literally said if mkg is ahead of you on the break and you dont throw it to him, you are out.

We seriously lacked that this year. I dont have any stats to back this up, but eye test, we really struggled finishing fast breaks this year. Hopefully whitney can be that guy for us next year!

Reactions: shadyCAT
Goofy trying to comparing him to Diallo?

1. Whitney is a full 2-3 inches taller than Hami...and bigger/stronger as well. So we're talking about a kid who will play more closer to the basket
2. Whitney is a tremendous penetrator and strong with the ball....People tend to focus on Hami's leaping strength and shooting weakness. But his biggest dissapointment was he had zero ability to attack the rim on half court as his handles were really poor. Watch the video of Whitney in McD practicies....he's a plus handler
3. Finally, Hami had no great motor. All reads are Whitney is a top notch motor.

Whitney's better comparison is MKG/Liggins type....not Diallo.
Yeah I don’t think he’s a plus ball handler right now by any means. He’s more of a one dribble and finish guy in terms of attacking the basket. But he shoots it pretty well. I think he’ll be like early Poythress but more aggressive on offense.

His offensive game does look a bit raw, hopefully he'll put some time in the gym before next season to expand his game because the Cats will surely need him to step up on next years team.

The only area he’s going to struggle is half court offense, which is why Cal really needs to figure out a way to open things up because this kid in the open floor is every bit of MKG.

The only area he’s going to struggle is half court offense, which is why Cal really needs to figure out a way to open things up because this kid in the open floor is every bit of MKG.
MKG is a much better ball handler and passer. Not close.

Taller version of Diallo, but better defender.

Next year’s team will have to play very fast for Whitney to have much impact on offensive end. He’ll struggle in offensive sets. He could feast if he becomes offensive rebounding machine.
Well except Whitney is 2x the shooter of Diallo. Diallo and Whitney are both elite athletes sure but whitney will average 16 pts next season. Maxey will be closer to 20 but make no mistake that will be the best duo in the land or close to it. Whitney is predicted to be a top 5 draft pick if not higher. He is the Paul George mold SF the NBA loves now.

During the AAU season, he had no problem scoring at all 3 levels. He shoots a lot better than people give him credit. I see no reason why he can't be a 35% 3-point shooter here.
I believe he is around a 38% shooter . Not that you can pay much attention to AAU numbers good or bad at times as kids take so many bad shots. I do believe I have heard that he has trouble with free throws ( in the mid 60's which needs to improve) .

Shooting is optional with Cal recruits. Or maybe just should say "gravy"

And on Rafters most recruits are better on paper. Did like what little bit I saw of Maxey in the McDonalds game.

Never will understand comments like OAD type who needs to improve his shot and handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well except Whitney is 2x the shooter of Diallo. Diallo and Whitney are both elite athletes sure but whitney will average 16 pts next season. Maxey will be closer to 20 but make no mistake that will be the best duo in the land or close to it. Whitney is predicted to be a top 5 draft pick if not higher. He is the Paul George mold SF the NBA loves now.

there is zero chance whitney averages 16 points next season.

pj washington didnt average 16 points per game
kevin knox didnt average 16 points per game
karl anthony towns didnt average 16 points per game
julius randle didnt average 16 points per game
anthony freakin davis didnt average 16 points per game

the only times we have had players average over 16 ppg was on guard dominated teams where we didnt have dominant front courts.

i understand being a homer, but come on man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT