ADVERTISEMENT

What UK 30 for 30 Would You Like to See Made?

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
I think I’d like to see one on Cal’s first year here, and how Wall, Cousins et al revived UK’s cool factor.

john-wall.gif

The 2014 season would have been one if they had finished off UCONN or certainly 2015 if they won it all...probably could still be one on 2015 just because of that crazy ride.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I would like to see the story where Brad earned his spot on the team and to show everyone that it was not given to him because he was the coach's son. I think maybe somebody could pull this off.
Cal's banging that kids mom. You can't convince me there wasn't some favoritism as a result.

The Unforgettables would be a great 30 For 30 if they haven't done it yet
This gets my vote as well. An incredible team that returned Kentucky to greatness from the depths of probation and played an iconic game against Duke. Additionally, a "where are they now" segment would be compelling TV, with the stories of Richie Farmer and Fifteeno using the prestige of that team to rise in prominence only to later fall from grace. Would be a great 30 for 30.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I would like an in depth look into that Randle Twins team. Amazing run they went on.
It wasn’t that amazing. We had the most physically talented team in the country, everyone’s pre-season No. 1 …that greatly underachieved in a disappointing regular season ….but then finally started to play the way they were supposed to at tourney time. Pretty simple story.

I think an examination of the 2015 team’s quest for a perfect 40-0 season would be a far more compelling story. A team coming so close to doing what many thought was no longer possible.

Last edited:
It wasn’t that amazing. We had the most physically talented team in the country, everyone’s pre-season No. 1 …that greatly underachieved in a disappointing regular season ….but then finally started to play the way they were supposed to at tourney time. Pretty simple story.

I think an examination of the 2015 team’s quest for a perfect 40-0 season would be a far more compelling story. A team coming so close to doing what many thought was no longer possible.
I mean we can make anything sound way more simple then it actually was. That team had an amazing turnaround. They started as a group of guys that were very highly rated coming out of high school but took some to connect as a group. We got to see them take a down a bunch of great basketball teams in what is the best tournament in sports. Including the undefeated Wichita state team multiple game winners by our freshman twin guard leading to a title game. If you don’t think that’s an exciting story idk what to tell you.

I think I’d like to see one on Cal’s first year here, and how Wall, Cousins et al revived UK’s cool factor.

john-wall.gif
1 - the near 3-peat that should’ve been
2 - hiring Cal, landing the Wall/Cousins class
3 - Gillispie / firing / “the final days”
4 - modern take on the BS probation/ Emory
5 - BJ Boston’s documentary footage

I mean we can make anything sound way more simple then it actually was. That team had an amazing turnaround. They started as a group of guys that were very highly rated coming out of high school but took some to connect as a group. We got to see them take a down a bunch of great basketball teams in what is the best tournament in sports. Including the undefeated Wichita state team multiple game winners by our freshman twin guard leading to a title game. If you don’t think that’s an exciting story idk what to tell you.
Fair enough, yeah it was mighty exciting, and would be fun to rehash for UK fans.

But I’m not sure how much more there’d be to unpack. Nobody was shocked that team made a run, as it had more raw talent than anyone else. The bigger mystery with that team is why was such a talented group so disappointing in the regular season?

As for what changed, it seems fairly straightforward: they finally woke up and started playing the way everyone expected them to from the beginning.

Last edited:
Subjects I'd love to see made into a 30 for 30.
Wildcat Wally.
Bill Keightley.
The One sided NCAA Tournament rivalry: Utah/Kentucky.
Denying Cinderella: Kentucky staving off St. Bonaventure in the 2000 NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
Fair enough, yeah it was mighty exciting, and would be fun to rehash for UK fans.

But I’m not sure how much more there’d be to unpack. Nobody was shocked that team made a run, as it had more raw talent than anyone else. The bigger mystery with that team is why was such a talented group so disappointing in the regular season?

As for what changed, it seems fairly straightforward: they finally woke up and started playing the way everyone expected them to from the beginning.
They were definitely talented but not to what their ratings were in high school. Except for Randle and WCS.

It's too bad we didn't get it done in 2015.. if we did I think a 30for30 on those first 6 seasons under Cal would be so amazing... the hire, the resurgence, the final 4, the title, the low of the NIT, the slow start, the run in March, and ending it all with the perfect season..

It would have a perfect amount of hardship that many great sports documentaries have, culminating in a rise to literal perfection.

Ugh...

Reactions: Random UK Fan
There is only one clear answer here.

Hookers in the dorms, sex on the restaurant table, 15 seconds down the leg, and abortion/extortion.

They'd need to flash the TV/MA rating up front for sure.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT