ADVERTISEMENT

Most likely scenario for Cal to leave

jrpross

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
…in my opinion is a negotiation and “mutual” separation. I’d LOVE if one of the rumors were true about another team being interested but I find that unlikely. The buyout is probably too great for Mitch to fire him.

But Cal’s ego is the key here. He doesn’t want to be “fired” and I guarantee he still thinks he can coach. If he was straight up fired, (correct me if I’m wrong) but I believe his annual buyout payment would stop if he took another coaching job. But if Mitch offered Cal a lump sum (say 12-15 million) for the two parties to part ways it would accomplish a few things for both sides. It would allow Cal to save face AND it would give him a bunch of money but still get to find another job. It would cut the 30 million+ buyout down for Mitch and allow HIM to save face with the fans.

Frankly everyone comes out looking good in this scenario aside from UK still having to shell out a tidy sum, but with so many fans ready to stop supporting the program, I have to think it would be financially worth it. Anything I’m missing here?

Reactions: catzcan
I agree with you that your scenario would be the least disruptive outcome and there would be a clean break without a lot of animosity on either side. I actually believe something like this is the most likely resolution.

On the facts of what you said, if there is no settlement, Calipari's UK contract provides that he is required to diligently pursue other suitable employment to mitigate the University's obligation to pay the liquidated damages until the contract terminates on June 30, 2029. Also, if he accepts another position, that releases UK completely from paying the damages only if his new salary is equal to or greater than the damages amount.

Reactions: jrpross
Same. I've been saying this for awhile now. It would be a mutual retirement with a negotiated payout.

But if Mitch offered Cal a lump sum (say 12-15 million) for the two parties to part ways it would accomplish a few things for both sides.
It's going to have to be something like that. It's doable.

Reactions: jrpross
This would be the best case scenario. But will Cal's ego and greed let him do it? I'd have to say probably not.

Why would JVC accept this, he can continue until forced out and walk away with $33M, and in my assessment, that's what he will do...he's not going to take a third of that and ride of into the sunset, IMO.

Does calipari seem like someone who negotiates and gives money back to get fired. No he doesnt. Hes not letting go of the uk job unless he is forced too

Reactions: Philstat
I for one wouldn‘t get rid of Cal unless I had his replacement lined up. The only 2 names that I think are good enough and realistic options would be Donovan or Lloyd
FFS…What makes ANYONE think the head coach of the Chicago Bulls is going to come coach at UK? You people crack me up.

I have thought about this thing since Thursday. As bad as I want him gone, I just don't see it happening. He will not allow himself to be fired by the revolt by the fanbase in my opinion. He will promise MB he will change, all the while it will be business as usual. Barney will fall on the sword and believe he will change. He wants to go out in good standing. I don't know how he can do that, this was his year to gain the confidence of the fan base. He blew that right out of the water, his only saving grace is if the key pieces commit to return next year. I think he will do everything to get that done, but all won't stay so it will be rinse and repeat. I fear we are stuck with him for another year or two. Just my gut feeling only.

That meeting today is "The Good Ole Boys Club". With probably a raise or more incentives added to the contract.

But if we fire him we won't get to see those "tweaks" he has promised for next year.

I’ll watch the 10–12 minute highlights after games next season if Cal is still coach. But won’t attend a game that’s for sure, and just not going to be marking my calendar for it anymore. Not gonna act like my interest will be zero, it’s just not going to be a featured part of my life.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
I for one wouldn‘t get rid of Cal unless I had his replacement lined up. The only 2 names that I think are good enough and realistic options would be Donovan or Lloyd
Disagree wholeheartedly. There are a couple dozen dudes I could name off the top of my head that I’d take over Cal right now and I guarantee one of em would take the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT