ADVERTISEMENT

What would you do if you were Cal?

Mar 7, 2020
UK made the deal not him. Either honor the deal or buy him out. Not one of you would do any different. When you make a bad deal crying about it doesn't get you out of it. I think he should be fired. But I dont expect him to let us out of the agreed contract. Either buy him out or watch him coach our Cats.

Reactions: DMB#34
Depends on what he's willing to put his family and friends through for the sake of the extra money.

He's already made around $100 million off of Kentucky.

Personally, a buyout for about half the $33 million would send me packing. I'd also line it up so that I could get the $15 or $16 million and also take another job somewhere else.

Negotiate a settlement along those lines, and then head off to another school.

Negotiate to take half the buyout and retire or go somewhere else for a lower salary and make UK pay the difference.

Reactions: 1STSergeant
Stackhouse got 25 mill from vandy to walk, can’t see Cals ego taking less than that but how could you return to this position???? According to Matt, he’s alienated most of the boosters including the craft family 😳 and meets with MB once a year is all. Who does that in their job??? I can’t see there being alot of support for him to return & I think it will be a pretty rough time off the court with him and the way he pumps his chest out after wins but then hides after losses.

Last edited:
I think it all depends on whether Cal understands that 70% of the fans do not want him back. Does he understand how miserable everything will get next year UNLESS his team is a top performer? With Less Talented Freshmen coming in it could get very ugly quickly. Does he Understand This??If so he may negotiate. If he is oblivious to it then he will laugh at you and hold out for the 33.

I would negotiate a buyout, take a year “off”, with a paid TV deal, re-charge, and take another big money deal to coach a major college team with enough history for it to look like a great opportunity.

He’s going to come out ahead financially and his stress level will go down.

If I were advising Cal and he wanted to stay:

- get Reed to return
-buy a unanimous top 5-10 transfer at position of need
-staff changes(start by firing Bruiser)

That’s where he should start.

• Haha
Reactions: ukjenning44
Given his personality I believe he will try to fix it unless someone tells him it's done. Not sure he can but he didn't get to this position by not being a fighter. Hard to imagine him negotiating a buyout, much easier to believe him saying I want all of whatever the number is.

I have destroyed my legacy.

I'm getting older and lack the energy needed to compete.

I either get out now while the getting's good, stick around and be remembered as a failure my last few years, or stick around and try to win another title using a system that has a basically drawn a goose egg in this decade.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
If I am Cal I am doing two things. One, acting like I plan to stay to increase my negotiating power.

Two....staying! The question is if I am Cal. Well, Cal has a tremendous ego, is clearly stubborn, thinks he knows better than everyone else, has evolved or de-evolved to an antagonistic relationship with fans and media, so he stays to show up everyone.

Reactions: gbl97
Fire him for breaching his contract, says he is to coach basketball, but now he is the Dr. Death of College Basketball Coaching at UK. Killing our program slowly

I’d move to a foreign country and never show my face again.
I would be embarrassed to be known as the biggest underachiever in the history of college basketball.

If I were advising Cal and he wanted to stay:

- get Reed to return
-buy a unanimous top 5-10 transfer at position of need
-staff changes(start by firing Bruiser)

That’s where he should start.
I would never advise Cal to stay. There is no scenario of players returning that would get me excited if Cal was still at UK.

I want players to return and be coached by someone new. Greedy, yes, but that’s what I want to see happen.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Depends on what he's willing to put his family and friends through for the sake of the extra money.

He's already made around $100 million off of Kentucky.

Personally, a buyout for about half the $33 million would send me packing. I'd also line it up so that I could get the $15 or $16 million and also take another job somewhere else.

Negotiate a settlement along those lines, and then head off to another school.
Sounds good. I would probably want more of the agreement. But I've been waiting on payday since I was 17.

I would retire, stop my legacy from being tarnished further. Take a year off, be a part time NBA Agent or make an NIL company to help kids

I’d negotiate a buyout for half the amount owed but request it up front so I could take advantage of the time value of money invested to offset taking the lower payout. Then I’d lay low, resurface about tourney time next season in a studio role to see how that suited me before turning to that full time if not quite ready to be out of the spotlight.

Cal isn’t going retire. He has drawn his line in the sand, if we want him gone we have to pay the full amount. I also don’t think he gives a rat’s ass about his on court legacy, he has put all that into getting guys drafted. So, UK either gets the full buy out or we see him on the sidelines next year. A lose/lose all around for us fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT