ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly does Cal need to do for you guys to be content with his usage of Reed ?

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Reed got 26 minutes, scored 25 points.

And I keep reading how the kid is being slighted and Cal only plays "his guys" to protect their draft stock. Wagner played 26 minutes. Wagner went 3/8 from 3 and played a decent game. So Cal actually played Reed the same number of minutes as "His NBA boy" as some of you like to put it.

If Reed gets the same number of minutes as "Cal's guy," is he not...one of Cal's guys? I'm so confused.

So do you need Reed to play a certain number of minutes? Is he only being treated fairly if he hits 30 minutes? Is he being cheated if he doesn't start? Does he need to score 30 for him to be used properly?

Reed will get all he wants this yr. No one should be upset . 30+ isn’t happening on any team with any quality depth , for anyone . Travis Perry will be the same , if he can play . Those who think there is some sort of bias against in-state guys, it just isn’t true. Some guys in the past that haven’t played as much as we wanted just aren’t that good, or weren’t better than guys ahead of them. Same with Pitino with C Harrison , Tubby with Blevins, Brandon Stockton and tons of others . Things are just magnified with Cal

And I keep reading how the kid is being slighted and Cal only plays "his guys" to protect their draft stock. Wagner played 26 minutes. Wagner went 3/8 from 3 and played a decent game. So Cal actually played Reed the same number of minutes as "His NBA boy" as some of you like to put it.

If Reed gets the same number of minutes as "Cal's guy," is he not...one of Cal's guys? I'm so confused.

So do you need Reed to play a certain number of minutes? Is he only being treated fairly if he hits 30 minutes? Is he being cheated if he doesn't start? Does he need to score 30 for him to be used properly?
Just a really bad post. Just spewing nonsense. Nobody wants to see Wagner and Edwards fail.

Folks are saying the same thing about Dillingham. He's playing wonderful basketball. You're just bitter or something

Just a really bad post. Just spewing nonsense. Nobody wants to see Wagner and Edwards fail.

Folks are saying the same thing about Dillingham. He's playing wonderful basketball. You're just bitter or something
Not at all.

I'm just kind of having my mind blown reading all of the whining about Reed's mistreatment. He got the same minutes as the guy you're wanting benched. He got more shots than that guy. He scored 25 points.

But, Cal has it out for him.

Reactions: thedahc
Reed will get all he wants this yr. No one should be upset . 30+ isn’t happening on any team with any quality depth , for anyone . Travis Perry will be the same , if he can play . Those who think there is some sort of bias against in-state guys, it just isn’t true. Some guys in the past that haven’t played as much as we wanted just aren’t that good, or weren’t better than guys ahead of them. Same with Pitino with C Harrison , Tubby with Blevins, Brandon Stockton and tons of others . Things are just magnified with Cal
Given the probable guard exodus of this team, I think Perry will have ample opportunity to play. However, I think people will have to temper their expectations of his immediate impact. Perry isn't the athlete that Sheppard is. That aspect has made Sheppard's transition from high school to college a lot easier.

Starter.

30 minutes a game.

Good things happen when he's on the court.

Make Wagner and Edwards earn their minutes like everyone else on the roster.
Do you feel that Wagner doesn't deserve 26 minutes vs a cupcake? I don't look at 26 minutes and think Cal is giving him too much. Starter or not.

Not at all.

I'm just kind of having my mind blown reading all of the whining about Reed's mistreatment. He got the same minutes as the guy you're wanting benched. He got more shots than that guy. He scored 25 points.

But, Cal has it out for him.
You are not being honest. Haven't seen anybody saying that. You're the one grasping your pearls over Cal.

Play him correctly. He’s clearly a starter, and that does matter. Reed is not a guy you want coming in after 4-6 minutes of play, there’s no reason to keep you best player on the bench to start games. But that’s not going to happen, because Wagner was promised everything from day one and Calipari isn’t going to do anything to interfere with his image for the draft.

Coaches do have to balance these things. You certainly don’t want to hurt Wagner but you can’t hurt the team at the expense of that.

There isn’t one person that’s a true UK fan that wants Wagner to fail. Not one.

He was the number 1 player in the class for a long time. We’re seeing how off that projection was, he will never be that kind of player.

Starting does matter as much as you think. I like him coming off the bench, as that role has its advantages. I am more interested in the minutes played, which needs to be no lower than 25 a game.

Don’t get this at all. You want your best and most efficient player coming in 4-6 minutes after the game starts? Makes no sense, and it shouldn’t happen.

25 minutes a game will be a plus for this team. Starting means nothing to most players, you can see it means nothing to Reed. Some may get their feelings hurt by not starting, Reed will get the job done regardless, if he gets the minutes. Dilly and Reed need 25+ minutes a game and we will win a lot of games.

Given the probable guard exodus of this team, I think Perry will have ample opportunity to play. However, I think people will have to temper their expectations of his immediate impact. Perry isn't the athlete that Sheppard is. That aspect has made Sheppard's transition from high school to college a lot easier.
Natural Instincts are present ( especially defensively ) , huge and a vastly underrated part of a great guard‘s game . Shepherd has them in spades. They can even turn a fairly average player…Cliff Hawkins comes to mind. …into an all-league type .

Reed needs to average a minimum of 45mins per game and don't give that "there's only 40 mins in a game" BS! If Cal is the all-powerful hall of fame couch some of you make him out to be then he should be able to get the NCAA to fix this so we can see more of Reed. (Blessed be his name!)

Any player who dares to shoot instead of passing it Reed (Prase him!) should be immediately kicked off the team, tarred, feathered and paraded down State St. as a reminder to those who think themselves above He Who Has Been Chosen. 😉

Seriously though I love Reed to death and can't wait see what other thrills he will provide us with this year. Let's just not tear down any of the other players to build him up.

Also...

Last edited:
As of this post, Reed is the best overall basketball player on the team, followed by Dillingham.

Look at ANY other 2 best players from ANY team sport, and tell me the difference!

No other team from ANY team sport, amateur or professional, has their two best players coming off the bench!

You can’t and won’t find ONE SINGLE EXAMPLE, except Cal and UK! Period.

As of this post, Reed is the best overall basketball player on the team, followed by Dillingham.

Look at ANY other 2 best players from ANY team sport, and tell me the difference!

No other team from ANY team sport, amateur or professional, has their two best players coming off the bench!

Small sample size , tho . Also , minutes played matters . Like Wallace / wheeler last yr , he may flip starters ….then people will look at who has more minutes . You can’t win if you’re Cal now unless you start Shepherd , play him 32-35 mostly at the expense of Wagner and it’s just too early yet

I was fine with Cal’s use of Reed in last nights game. I think the criticism of Cal related to Reed in the Kansas game was warranted. The team was noticeably better with him in the game and he left him on the bench way too long in the second half.

He appears to have recognized this, as he was much quicker to insert him and yank DJ when he messed up against SH. DJ needs to get his and start playing better for this team to really excel. But, it doesn’t need to happen at Reed’s expense.

Mitchell is my MVP. Reed and Dillingham are electric for sure. But Mitchell is holding down the fort until some 7 footers come around.

I was fine with Cal’s use of Reed in last nights game. I think the criticism of Cal related to Reed in the Kansas game was warranted. The team was noticeably better with him in the game and he left him on the bench way too long in the second half.

He appears to have recognized this, as he was much quicker to insert him and yank DJ when he messed up against SH. DJ needs to get his and start playing better for this team to really excel. But, it doesn’t need to happen at Reed’s expense.
Imagine if Dj had committed that backbreaking turnover under 2 minutes left , and flung the last second prayer with 7.5 seconds left . Tho Reed was in for that last second play, he just didn’t realize it was well covered & the time left I’m guessing

Reactions: Doodah859
Fire Barnhart. That is how you wound up with Billy Clyde. He also gave a contract to Cal that amounted to Tenure, and the performance sucks. Maybe you guys are right and cal can fix it, however, we have lived through more than 5 years of you being wrong.

Don't forget the dumb Stoops raise last year and the women's bball coach disaster.

Reactions: gharding07

Zat you Cal?

Don't forget the dumb Stoops raise last year and the women's bball coach disaster.
He just got a contract extension. LOL at message board posters.

Yeah Board of Trustees, I’m UKWildcats1987 and I post on Cats Illustrated. I give nothing to the program but I would like you to fire the director of our profitable athletics program because of contracts he’s given out that I don’t approve of.

• Haha
Reactions: bigbluemagoo

I though it was an excellent post. There is more complaining, early season, about Reed not being used properly, playing enough, starting etc. than anyone since Dontae Allen. I think Cal is doing a great job of playing everyone, keeping them fresh etc. I think this will be a special team. The rafter guys that complain all the time will need to get more creative in dissing Cal.
Example; Cawood 69 who says the post was nonsense, while at the same time saying folks are saying the same about dillingham. Not even close to comparable.

Is it really hard to understand why people want a kid who is clearly the best option on the team to be a starter and get as many minutes as possible?
Listen, I know people are sick of hearing it, but the games now are largely irrelevant. This team reaches its peak if DJ and Edwards turn into great players, just like Rob and Reed seem to be on their way to doing. This team is going to have a lot of guys fighting for minutes, especially when any of the bigs come back. 26 minutes seems like a perfectly good amount of time to play.

Truth is DJ needs playing time to develop. Giving Reed 35 minutes last night so we win by 50 is meaningless. Rob and Reed seem like known quantities at this point. You can keep using them like they're being used and they'll be exactly where they need to be come March. DJ and Edwards are much less known at this point. A Stonehill is exactly the type of game you keep playing DJ and Edwards to see what they can do and hopefully help them get their feet under them. Keep in mind freshman often hit the wall during conference play, playing everyone 20-28 minutes a game now keeps them fresh for late in the year.

And before people bitch about the KU game, Reed sat a lot of the first half with two fouls. Almost any coach takes out a freshman with two fouls in the first half in his first big game. Dilly was taken out after his big first half run because he needed a breather. Cal literally said during the postgame guys were subbing themselves out to catch their breath. He picked up his third and fourth foul in the second half and eventually fouled out.

If we're still having this conversation in February that's one thing, but it's been four games. One against actual competition. There's a long season ahead to see what guys can do. As of now, yeah it seems like there's a good sized gap between Rob and Reed and DJ and Edwards. The question is, do you want that gap to still be there in March? If the answer is no than DJ and Edwards are going to need the playing time they've been getting to improve. If all you want to do is win and win by as much as possible now, then put them on the bench and then everyone will bitch in March how Cal is only playing six or seven guys.

Once again you are highlighting one game. If you do that, you need to highlight the one nationally televised prime time game.

Who played how much? Who did Cal showcase?

If you don’t know Cal’s model by now, you never will. The only way his 5 star studs don’t play many minutes is under the guise of illness or injury, never performance.

Listen, I know people are sick of hearing it, but the games now are largely irrelevant. This team reaches its peak if DJ and Edwards turn into great players, just like Rob and Reed seem to be on their way to doing. This team is going to have a lot of guys fighting for minutes, especially when any of the bigs come back. 26 minutes seems like a perfectly good amount of time to play.

Truth is DJ needs playing time to develop. Giving Reed 35 minutes last night so we win by 50 is meaningless. Rob and Reed seem like known quantities at this point. You can keep using them like they're being used and they'll be exactly where they need to be come March. DJ and Edwards are much less known at this point. A Stonehill is exactly the type of game you keep playing DJ and Edwards to see what they can do and hopefully help them get their feet under them. Keep in mind freshman often hit the wall during conference play, playing everyone 20-28 minutes a game now keeps them fresh for late in the year.

And before people bitch about the KU game, Reed sat a lot of the first half with two fouls. Almost any coach takes out a freshman with two fouls in the first half in his first big game. Dilly was taken out after his big first half run because he needed a breather. Cal literally said during the postgame guys were subbing themselves out to catch their breath. He picked up his third and fourth foul in the second half and eventually fouled out.

If we're still having this conversation in February that's one thing, but it's been four games. One against actual competition. There's a long season ahead to see what guys can do. As of now, yeah it seems like there's a good sized gap between Rob and Reed and DJ and Edwards. The question is, do you want that gap to still be there in March? If the answer is no than DJ and Edwards are going to need the playing time they've been getting to improve. If all you want to do is win and win by as much as possible now, then put them on the bench and then everyone will bitch in March how Cal is only playing six or seven guys.
Hell Yeah, sit Reed & Rob until DJ & Edwards catch up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT