ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly does Cal need to do for you guys to be content with his usage of Reed ?

L
It's not even a "college basketball" thing, it's in any and every sport. I think there's some Kentucky fans who are probably only into Kentucky basketball, and maybe not into other sports. Which is perfectly fine. But then they sort of have this silo'd view of how Kentucky and Cal operate. When the stuff he does, is largely done everywhere.

I mean, how many times do we have to hear the complaints about injuries and not having every little detail? I mean the NFL team near by, the Bengals, just did this with Joe Burrow. Dude had a wrist injury and the organization didn't feel compelled to divulge details. But some think this is just a Cal thing.

Cowherd absolutely NAILED this topic, and it was just last week. First minute he explains it perfectly.

Thanks for sharing.

It's not even a "college basketball" thing, it's in any and every sport. I think there's some Kentucky fans who are probably only into Kentucky basketball, and maybe not into other sports. Which is perfectly fine. But then they sort of have this silo'd view of how Kentucky and Cal operate. When the stuff he does, is largely done everywhere.

I mean, how many times do we have to hear the complaints about injuries and not having every little detail? I mean the NFL team near by, the Bengals, just did this with Joe Burrow. Dude had a wrist injury and the organization didn't feel compelled to divulge details. But some think this is just a Cal thing.

Cowherd absolutely NAILED this topic, and it was just last week. First minute he explains it perfectly.

Exactly.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Whether fairly or unfairly, the top rated prospect will always get playing time to prove they are a bust.
The lower rated prospect will always have to prove that they were rated too lowly.

This isn't a Cal thing. It's a college basketball thing. All bluebloods that recruit these top guys, it's the same thing.

Because on average, the highly rated guy is higher for a reason. That doesn't mean there aren't busts and that doesn't mean that a lower rated guy can't actually be the star tho. It's just that I think that is going to take a bit more than 4 games to determine here.
Great post.

I do think Self and Scheyer would continue to give DJ and Edwards chances at this point in the season.

Those first few minutes should be required viewing for any fan of a sport. Cal does some things wrong, we all know that. But there's a lot of other things people bang on him for that just don't make sense.
100%.

The last 3 seasons have bough Cal an endless supply of criticism. But then EVERYTHING someone disagrees with becomes confirmation bias.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Shepherd is not athletic. He’s just a kid with great fundamentals that makes the game come easy.
Some of the stuff he's done isn't just off great fundamentals. He's a 6'3, white kid that can dunk with incredible ease. It's not an either/or situation. He can be athletic AND have great fundamentals.

Regardless, he is more athletic than Travis Perry. Like I said, that's why his transition from high school to college has gone smoothly.

Reactions: Cats192
Whether fairly or unfairly, the top rated prospect will always get playing time to prove they are a bust.
The lower rated prospect will always have to prove that they were rated too lowly.

This isn't a Cal thing. It's a college basketball thing. All bluebloods that recruit these top guys, it's the same thing.

Because on average, the highly rated guy is higher for a reason. That doesn't mean there aren't busts and that doesn't mean that a lower rated guy can't actually be the star tho. It's just that I think that is going to take a bit more than 4 games to determine here.
Dude, the recruiting rankings mean absolutely *NOTHING* once you step onto a college floor. Haven’t y’all learned that by now? How many big-time recruits have come here over the years and floundered?

Play the best players….rankings be damned.

Reactions: crestcat
Sheppard, Dillingham, Reeves, Thiero and Mitchell should be starting. They are playing better than anyone. Why shouldn't they get to start? Are their lives not as important as others? Is it right for them to be used off the bench to cover for a couple of players not getting it done? Why can't the ones not getting it done have to work harder to get better instead of it being given to them?

Possibly taken some losses because a couple of players can't get it done doesn't sound like there is much worry about getting the highest seed possible improving our chances for a title. Every loss makes it harder to reach that goal. Pampering a couple of players and reducing the chances for a championship doesn't sound like that is the top priority for this coach.

Who the fudge is Shepherd? Has Zipporah come back from the dead.

Reed seems to fit his current role perfectly. Unless Wagner completely mails it in it should stay the way it has been. Reed is a team player and I doubt he gives a shit right now that he's coming off the bench. If he seems to be fine with it then why shouldn't I be.

I also think it's kind of nice that when the other team goes to the bench UK has a distinct advantage with Sheppard and Dillingham out there as a 2nd unit so to speak.

Reactions: Zissou87
Who the fudge is Shepherd? Has Zipporah come back from the dead.

Reed seems to fit his current role perfectly. Unless Wagner completely mails it in it should stay the way it has been. Reed is a team player and I doubt he gives a shit right now that he's coming off the bench. If he seems to be fine with it then why shouldn't I be.

I also think it's kind of nice that when the other team goes to the bench UK has a distinct advantage with Sheppard and Dillingham out there as a 2nd unit so to speak.
Even if Shep is OK with coming off the bench, why should he? He is a stat stuffer like nobody else on the team. He helps the team in many different ways when he is on the floor. Why is it OK for him to take a back seat? Not right. If he was a one dimensional or two dimensional player I would not be harping so much. But giving the team points, efficiency, assists, defense and the ability to make others better is special, and should be treated as such. Treat players fair regardless of their ranking in high school.

Reactions: crestcat
With us falling behind at start of games like we did Stonehill I would start Reed at PG and then bring Wagner of the bench but I don't think Cal will do that.

Even if Shep is OK with coming off the bench, why should he? He is a stat stuffer like nobody else on the team. He helps the team in many different ways when he is on the floor. Why is it OK for him to take a back seat? Not right. If he was a one dimensional or two dimensional player I would not be harping so much. But giving the team points, efficiency, assists, defense and the ability to make others better is special, and should be treated as such. Treat players fair regardless of their ranking in high school.

Play the best players and lineups that give KY the best chance to win each game. That group of players will change from game to game depending on the opponent.
I want him to adapt and play the hot hand. Don’t play favorites or try to showcase a guy.

Reactions: ukdesi
Reed got 26 minutes, scored 25 points.

And I keep reading how the kid is being slighted and Cal only plays "his guys" to protect their draft stock. Wagner played 26 minutes. Wagner went 3/8 from 3 and played a decent game. So Cal actually played Reed the same number of minutes as "His NBA boy" as some of you like to put it.

If Reed gets the same number of minutes as "Cal's guy," is he not...one of Cal's guys? I'm so confused.

So do you need Reed to play a certain number of minutes? Is he only being treated fairly if he hits 30 minutes? Is he being cheated if he doesn't start? Does he need to score 30 for him to be used properly?
Most people are referencing the Kansas game. Very few people complained about the last game. The last game was only being brought up as further evidence to why he shouldn’t have been lost on the bench the second half of the Kansas game.

All 4 of our guards should be getting 20+ minutes every game between the 1-3spots. If that happens then there “shouldn’t” be any complaints unless we start blowing end of game situations; then ppl will argue which combination deserves to be in during the final 2-5 min of games.

If Reed is bombing/making 3s and playing good defense then he should be gobbling up playing-time ahead of anyone that isn't doing that. If Calipari plays a Boston type player ahead of that, then F Calipari.

Dude, the recruiting rankings mean absolutely *NOTHING* once you step onto a college floor. Haven’t y’all learned that by now? How many big-time recruits have come here over the years and floundered?

Play the best players….rankings be damned.

Nothing is ever perfect. But more highly recruited players pan out more than lesser recruit guys.

There's a reason why in college basketball and college football, the teams that recruit the best (ie the highly rated players) stay on top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT