ADVERTISEMENT

What are our thoughts about next year?

I find it hilarious that Askew is a lost cause but Allen will be a solid contributor for years. Makes sense. Both had their moments this year, one was forced to play more than the other because of lack of depth at the position but overall they showed there’s some potential but need at least 2 years before they start putting it together.

Dude people have replied to you a bazillion times about Askew yet you keep perpetuating this ignorance.

Nobody is saying that we should never get the Askews of the world. Literally nobody. But Kentucky should not have had to go beg a High School Junior to reclassify and try and lead a brand new team of other freshman at the college level. He is not that good. He was thrown to the wolves instead of learning and playing behind other seasoned PG’s and players.

Jesus man, are you being daft on purpose?

I agree. Without being able to witness a game in front of our crowd, if potential players view this board, especially high level recruits, and see the way some of our fans talk about current players, I think it weakens our status as the best basketball fan base. That has been a selling point and I do think this board dilutes that positive point. Coaches are fair game but some of the stuff I have seen about current players is way, way overboard. I also read the Pilgrim piece concerning Sallis.

Oh? And what exactly, specifically, are you talking about? What threads would make a potential recruit not come here? Which ones? They are going to care about a bunch of random nobody dudes on the internet? Do you really believe that? John Calipari hasn’t been getting the top players for years now.

Such a dumb and ridiculous excuse. “Random 30-70 year old dudes on Rupp rafters are scaring players away!”

Grow up and grow some thicker skin.

Reactions: deep3
Oh? And what exactly, specifically, are you talking about? What threads would make a potential recruit not come here? Which ones? They are going to care about a bunch of random nobody dudes on the internet? Do you really believe that? John Calipari hasn’t been getting the top players for years now.

Such a dumb and ridiculous excuse. “Random 30-70 year old dudes on Rupp rafters are scaring players away!”

It's not really the message board negativity that rubs the players/recruits the wrong way. I doubt they know about Rupp Rafters. However, fans attacking the players on social media and booing them at games doesn't help recruiting.

It's not really the message board negativity that rubs the players/recruits the wrong way. I doubt they know about Rupp Rafters. However, fans attacking the players on social media and booing them at games doesn't help recruiting.
You realize that happens literally everywhere, right?

You act like UK fans are the only ones that have fans that say negative things about players. that is 100% false.

Dude people have replied to you a bazillion times about Askew yet you keep perpetuating this ignorance.

Nobody is saying that we should never get the Askews of the world. Literally nobody. But Kentucky should not have had to go beg a High School Junior to reclassify and try and lead a brand new team of other freshman at the college level. He is not that good. He was thrown to the wolves instead of learning and playing behind other seasoned PG’s and players.

Jesus man, are you being daft on purpose?
You obviously aren’t smart. 1 person had replied to my only post in this thread. This is now my 3rd post. The second to which I was agreeing with the poster.

Reactions: sk73 and Rockfly78

My skin is just fine . If you havent read the nonstop threads bashing first Brooks for faking injuries, then all season, the Boston and Askew bashing and since December the Clarke theories , then I got nothing for you. Why so defensive? Why so combative? Maybe your skin is too thin. So instead of responding to my post, just sit back and Shut the Hell Up, Aunt Lydia. Good lord you whine more than the neighbors cat.

Reactions: Rockfly78
You realize that happens literally everywhere, right?

You act like UK fans are the only ones that have fans that say negative things about players. that is 100% false.
Of course other fanbases say negative things about players. However, those fanbases aren't as large, rabid, and entitled as BBN.

And yes, before anyone nails me to a cross, the recruits/players are entitled too. That doesn't escape me.

How can you have any thoughts on next year's team when you don't know who is going to even be on the team.

There is no guarantee that Tscheibwe doesn't opt for the draft. Boston, Clarke, Jackson are all likely gone. Sarr and Mintz could return, but that's 50/50 rn. Brooks could also opt for trying to be a pro. Allen(I dont believe he will) Askew(not likely is my guess), and Fletcher(believe he's coming back but Im probably only 60/40 on it not that it matters) could transfer.

The only guys I think we can pencil in right now are Toppin and Ware plus the current recruiting class. Askew says he's not one of those kids who transfers but if Mintz comes back and UK gets Hardy by miracle to go along with Hickman then Askew is the odd man out.

Have the players been harassing the fans personally on Twitter? That’s what he’s talking about.
Did the fans put out a video for BLM? Did the fans have a press conference calling Rupp a racist and wanting the name of the arena changed?

I never said that was the direct reason why they aren't coming. However, it's definitely not helping matters.
Well, which is it? are the fans the problem or not? If they have that much power and influence, Cal is way overpaid.

Better record, shitty schedule to jack up early wins, a few tough games we get boat raced in because we are young then the the message from our Dictator/Leader I meant coach, telling us he likes the team.
Shit show to summarize guessing 22-11 type record
Very likely unless some players return.

Of course other fanbases say negative things about players. However, those fanbases aren't as large, rabid, and entitled as BBN.

And yes, before anyone nails me to a cross, the recruits/players are entitled too. That doesn't escape me.
So the fanbase is larger than everyone elses? Well, we can fix that, leave.

I literally heard Tennessee fans booing their own players a few weeks ago in Thompson Bowling arena. They were ranked in the top 10. This is a program with no success in this sport.

We are witnessing the worst season in UK history, we have the highest paid coach in the business, we have 1st round draft picks on the roster and we are supoosed to be "THE GOLD STANDARD", this isn’t the fans fault.

Lets also keep in mind that John Calipari hasn't been reeling in the big fish for quite some time. This isn’t just a 20/21 thing, but nice try.

Reactions: deep3
Well, which is it? are the fans the problem or not? If they have that much power and influence, Cal is way overpaid.
I never said that they were THE problem. Not all, but some fans, have negatively affected recruiting and player relations going forward. When players feel the need to shut down their social media because of the large negative backlash from the fanbase, it's not a great recruiting tool. Players being booed by their own fanbase, is not a great recruiting tool. The fact that it is so well known that Bill Walton mentions it on ESPN and tells the kids to go elsewhere, is not a great recruiting tool.
(And yes, I know you probably don't give a flippity-flip what that pot-smoker, Bill Walton says.)

I never said that they were THE problem. Not all, but some fans, have negatively affected recruiting and player relations going forward. When players feel the need to shut down their social media because of the large negative backlash from the fanbase, it's not a great recruiting tool. Players being booed by their own fanbase, is not a great recruiting tool. The fact that it is so well known that Bill Walton mentions it on ESPN and tells the kids to go elsewhere, is not a great recruiting tool.
(And yes, I know you probably don't give a flippity-flip what that pot-smoker, Bill Walton says.)
I agree that fans should never contact a recruit or Cal's family. 100% agree on that. Nothng good ever comes from it.
I would say however that "fans" that contact recruits are a very small number, or at least I sure hope they are. Never understood that mentality.
This year's team helped create an issue with their video, Brooks calling Rupp racist and wanting the arena name changed, and their kneeling. When you decide to cross over into politics, you can expect pushback.

Did the fans put out a video for BLM? Did the fans have a press conference calling Rupp a racist and wanting the name of the arena changed?
All that crap happened this year. Whack jobs have been harassing the players on Twitter for years. Back in the day they would call their phones and dorms. Not a good look.

I agree that fans should never contact a recruit or Cal's family. 100% agree on that. Nothng good ever comes from it.
I would say however that "fans" that contact recruits are a very small number, or at least I sure hope they are. Never understood that mentality.
This year's team helped create an issue with their video, Brooks calling Rupp racist and wanting the arena name changed, and their kneeling. When you decide to cross over into politics, you can expect pushback.
I'm not going to go into the political debate, but kneeling and Brooks comments only escalated the negativity toward the players.

I'm not sure if other fanbase's do this:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT